Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Lee
    Real Life MMD: Should I send the wallpaper back?
    • 14th Feb 11, 4:35 PM
    Real Life MMD: Should I send the wallpaper back? 14th Feb 11 at 4:35 PM
    Please give this MoneySaver the benefit of your advice...

Should I send the wallpaper back?

I ordered 5 rolls of wallpaper online, 14 each, from a well known store, who informed me it was a 'direct from manufacturer' item. However, the manufacturer has delivered 45 rolls - 630 worth! - by mistake. As far as the store and manufacturer are concerned, my order is completed. Both invoices have the same customer number on them, and obviously my details too. The dilemma is, do I keep quiet, use what I need, and flog the rest? Or come clean and send the extra 40 rolls back?

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Lee; 15-02-2011 at 3:29 PM.
Page 1
  • ClaireBetteridge
    • 15th Feb 11, 9:27 PM
    • 15th Feb 11, 9:27 PM
    Email them, if you can, telling them of whats happened, at least that way if they sau you can keep them, or that you have to send them back at least you're covered
    Married in 2011. buying bought our first house 2014
  • reformedEffortmaker
    • 15th Feb 11, 11:48 PM
    • 15th Feb 11, 11:48 PM
    definitely contact them and let them know.....otherwise surely that would be theft?
    • AuntyVi
    • By AuntyVi 15th Feb 11, 11:54 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    AuntyVi
    • 15th Feb 11, 11:54 PM
    • 15th Feb 11, 11:54 PM
    Keeping it without saying anything would be dishonest (not sure where the dilemma is in that?). But don't send it back at your own expense, it's their mistake so let them know what has happened and they can either collect it themselves, or may tell you to keep it in which case you can sell it with a clear conscience.
    • darkwarrior
    • By darkwarrior 16th Feb 11, 12:30 AM
    • 183 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    darkwarrior
    • 16th Feb 11, 12:30 AM
    • 16th Feb 11, 12:30 AM
    Keep it but don't do anything with it for a while to make sure they don't come looking for you. Its their fault not yours.
  • joemac5367
    • 16th Feb 11, 12:33 AM
    • 16th Feb 11, 12:33 AM
    This is not a moral dilemma.

It boils down to if you have an opportunity to profit by stealing with little chance of being caught, would you.

What next? If a shopkeeper went out the back to check stock for you and you could nip off with the contents of his till, how would you deal with that 'moral' dilemma? After all the idiot 'gave' you the opportunity by leaving you alone.

Seeing my best mate's wife behind his back is a moral dilemma. Nicking is nicking!
    • gravitytolls
    • By gravitytolls 16th Feb 11, 12:53 AM
    • 12,997 Posts
    • 23,207 Thanks
    gravitytolls
    • 16th Feb 11, 12:53 AM
    • 16th Feb 11, 12:53 AM
    I'd probably do the rest of the house with it, then stick posh pics on facebook.
    I ave a dodgy H, so sometimes I will sound dead common, on occasion dead stupid and rarely, pig ignorant. Sometimes I may be these things, but I will always blame it on my dodgy H.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a grumble weed today, no offence intended ... well it might be, but I'll be sorry.
  • wrafter2
    • 16th Feb 11, 1:30 AM
    wallpaper
    • 16th Feb 11, 1:30 AM
    contact them and ask them to collect asap
    • snootyjim
    • By snootyjim 16th Feb 11, 2:41 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    snootyjim
    • 16th Feb 11, 2:41 AM
    • 16th Feb 11, 2:41 AM
    Yeah, that is a bit of a dilemma. To nick, or not to nick.

If we were talking a couple of quid, and it would cost more in wasted time and collection for the firm than to just leave it, then this would be a fair 'dilemma'. As is, they've just lost several hundred pounds worth of stock, and someone will be getting the sack in the morning.
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 16th Feb 11, 2:53 AM
    • 12,553 Posts
    • 11,735 Thanks
    jenniewb
    Morally? give it back! I'd give it back (though at their expense) because it would mean I felt better about myself. I'd also worry I'd get my come back (karma) though know thats not the ethos of karma (its not supposed to bring about fear to do the right thing!) but it would be what influences me.

I'd be worried the company would find out and hold a gripe against me, could act against me in the future so in this instance its very easy. Call/email them to let them know, explain if they want it back they need to collect it themselves at a time which is suitable with me. (Normally after 11pm each day/night).
    • pennypinchUK
    • By pennypinchUK 16th Feb 11, 6:29 AM
    • 382 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    pennypinchUK
    No dilemma.

You contact the store, tell them there's been a mistake and invite them or the manufacturer to collect the 40 rolls. Isn't it just common decency to do that?

If they don't collect them after you've made reasonable efforts to advise them of the mistake then you can flog them.
  • mr-tom
    Inform them in writing (keep a copy of the letter and let them know that they have x weeks to collect as you are not prepared to store it for longer than that on their behalf.

If they don't come to take it, dispose of it in the manner of your choice.
    • Tiptaker
    • By Tiptaker 16th Feb 11, 6:56 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    Tiptaker
    So you are asking us to sanction theft?
  • yorkshireman99
    Tell them what has happened and let them collect it if they wish.
  • andygh
    Where's the dilemma? Keep it. I'll nick anything me
  • Stuntki
    Wallpaper dilema
    You should definitely contact the store and ask them to collect them. It is up to them what they do then but do not return them at your expense.
  • Susan Frost
    Tell them and get them to pick it up. It does not belong to you.

What on earth would you do with it anyway - all your mates decorate their homes the same as yours?
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 16th Feb 11, 8:09 AM
    • 6,298 Posts
    • 30,236 Thanks
    pineapple
    No dilemma for me - tell them.
    In any case sometimes these mistakes are discovered long after the event.
    Not sure about the legal situation but surely the moral situation is clear.
    • florabell
    • By florabell 16th Feb 11, 8:13 AM
    • 130 Posts
    • 1,157 Thanks
    florabell
    I've been in a similar situation. If my memory serves me right I think you have to contact the store and advise them of their mistake, and then they have 6 months to collect them after which I think they become yours. However, don't take my word for it - I've soup for brains at the moment! Check with citizens advice - they'll tell you the rights and wrongs of the situation.
    "Never put off 'til tomorrow what you can do today, because if you like doing it today, you can do it again tomorrow".

Someone famous said this, but I can't remember who!
    • scoobydoobydoo
    • By scoobydoobydoo 16th Feb 11, 8:40 AM
    • 111 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    scoobydoobydoo
    You need to inform the person you have the contract with, that is the retailer, of the mistake. They must then arrange for it to be collected and you must make sure that it is available for collection by them. If they tell you to keep them then its up to them, but you are not allowed to profit from a genuine error.
    If they allow you to keep them (unlikely I am afraid as the supplier will charge them for what was delivered ie:45 rolls) or dont collect them withint a reasonable amount of time (months rather than days) then thats fine and up to them but you *must* show that you have made reasonable effort to get the mistake rectified.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,640Posts Today

9,611Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Are you an overdraft prisoner? How to escape it! My new blog on ways to get rid of your overdraft... https://t.co/KbJwbWLFQI

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @annaefoster from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin