Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge 24th Jan 11 at 3:50 PM
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the second Grocery Challenge of 2011

This is my first time starting the thread so EEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK! It's a bit scary.

Pink, you're not going to shout at me are you? Just thought I would have try to help you out and have a bash at it myself this month. Credit where it's due Pink - this thing has pickled me brain!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your January budget, then keep on posting in the January 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month. Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 28-01-2011 at 8:44 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 42
    • Gorgeestwo
    • By Gorgeestwo 9th Feb 11, 4:03 PM
    • 364 Posts
    • 5,889 Thanks
    Gorgeestwo
    Pleased with myself, decided to adapt tea not to need double cream, so today has turned into a NSD thought it was best to avoid temptation if possible
    Grocery challenge : January 2016 £65.86/£300
    For 2 adults, 2 children (10 & 9 yrs) 3 cats & 2 dogs.

• runnerbean17
    • By runnerbean17 9th Feb 11, 4:30 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 2,498 Thanks
    runnerbean17
    Well spent £35.96 in Mr.M, Mr.T, A1di, Sainsbugs + HB - I got about a bit today getting a bit close to my budget now though didn't get any fantastic offers/whoopsies etc but hopefully I'll have a few more NSD coming up
    Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend...

• rosieben
    Ok I can't find the recipe for the ginger nuts please can someone point me in the right direction.
    Originally posted by happycrafter
    its listed under cakes etc in post # 6 on the front page of this thread
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 9th Feb 11, 5:28 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre
    46p spent today! I needed to get change for work and was drawn to 2 packets of crisps which seemed strangely cheap. I am a crisp-a-holic.

Will need to get milk tomorrow and noticed the Lidl weekend offers are really good this week, so no doubt more spending will happen!
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • goodgirl80
    second outing
    Helloooooo!
    First shop of the month.

20.51/100
    Thank you!
    Originally posted by goodgirl80

Second shop this month 26.53

Total: 47.04/100
  • bertiebots
    Just popping in to say have done my second shop of the month and now have a very full freezer! Will update my sig in a mo..Have spent £49.81 at sainsbugs. We had a lovely tea tonight as I felt in the mood for cooking (am slowly getting my mojo back!) and rustled up a jam roly poly...yuuuummmmmm! ....and there's enough left over for tomorrow!
    Its very easy to make btw
    The recipe for anyone who fancies it is :
    8oz sr flour , 4oz of suet and enough water to mix into a dough..roll out and spread with jam, mincemeat or whatever you fancy. Fold the edges over and roll up (so it looks a bit like a huge sausage roll). Slash the top and sprinkle with a bit of sugar, wrap in foil and bake in the oven at 200 degrees for about 30 mins.
    If you dont have any sr flour use plain instead with 3tsps of baking powder
    JAN GC- £155.77 out of £200 FEB GC £197.31 out of £180. MARCH GC - out of £200
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 9th Feb 11, 6:22 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 8,701 Thanks
    minnie2
    if you go into the velvet toilet tissue site you will see the tab for the coupon, £ 1.79 for 9 rolls of decent toilet tissue is and amazing price,i assume your purchases are classed as spaving .
    Originally posted by l.m.hart

classed as spaving? what is that? do i have to record it differently ?
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 9th Feb 11, 6:32 PM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 8,086 Thanks
    Ilona
    No spend day today, don't need anything, didn't go out.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    • shell2001
    • By shell2001 9th Feb 11, 7:13 PM
    • 1,795 Posts
    • 17,992 Thanks
    shell2001
    Update of spends: so far big shop at Mr T delivered 1/2. Have another order being delivered tomorrow (as delivery is cheaper) that should last me until we go on holiday the following week.

So £137.23 upto today. Tomorrows shop was £79 odd but some prices guides only so will update once I have the correct figure.

I am pleased as lots of bits and bobs in freezer and with meal planning we have been eating a lot better with no takeaways.
    • never too old
    • By never too old 9th Feb 11, 7:15 PM
    • 2,958 Posts
    • 31,309 Thanks
    never too old
    classed as spaving? what is that? do i have to record it differently ?
    Originally posted by minnie2
    no not at all, i remember seeing on here that spending out on lots of bargains is called spaving, you mentioned you bought lots lol

£2019 in 2019 challenge no 18
    1% challenge no 70
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge

£1993.52 / 2019
    0%/100%
  • Missus Aka
    Ok im up to £113.34 of my £135 of my grocery budget (sounds bad but all i need for the rest of the month is chicken, pitta bread, salam, veg, tomato ketchup, onions & juice and i dont even need any of these things for about a week)
    My total on my yearly stock up is £169.29 out of £180 they had some BOGOF offers on cleaning products on tescos (last me a year), have a years worth of bin liners, years woth of flora oil, & some other bits. it was helpful as i got to use my last voucher for extra points (1000points/3 shops) so i got in theory i got 783 points for this last shop on a £54.72 spend and im saving to double up at xmas so will give me back £15 then!!!!
    Have 4 NSD's so far, dont think i will be spending anything tomorrow, we will see. Will spend the rest of my stock up budget on toilet roll, though not yet as i have 2 deep bookcase shelves full.
    P.S Did get a takeaway today but its not counted in my grocery budget as it was for my mums birthday and she wanted chinese
    Thanks slbhill you really put my mind to rest, hes ok now and its seems nice and clean though quite deep...hes off limping around with his friends as i write this.....
    Last edited by Missus Aka; 09-02-2011 at 8:07 PM.
    SPC Member#1096 Target £150 Feb Count £82.18
    Aug Make£5P.DayChal £0/£155
    My August £100 Grocery Challenge £49.90/£100
    • happycrafter
    • By happycrafter 9th Feb 11, 8:06 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 4,543 Thanks
    happycrafter
    its listed under cakes etc in post # 6 on the front page of this thread
    Originally posted by rosieben

ahhhh I was looking under biscuits!!
    • happycrafter
    • By happycrafter 9th Feb 11, 8:09 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 4,543 Thanks
    happycrafter
    I think I need my eyes tested!!!

I was searching on the wrong recipe list as well!!

thanks for the recipe
  • karmachilovething
    Third NSD for me this week, not entirely intentional I had intended to get milk and the gammon for tomorrows dinner but some little **** broke into my car last night so I've been sat in most of the day talking to police and now i'm waiting for forensics to look for prints. Luckily a friend is collecting the children from school but then i'm off to work till half six (boo hoo!) Been a bit upset about the whole thing so baked a lemon crunch cake and an upside pineapple cake so it wasn't an entirely wasted day.....

Got enough milk for OH's coffee in the morning so it's toast for breakfast and a swap round on the meal plan for tomorrow x
    Originally posted by miecherox
    Ah I feel for you, I had my bag nicked last September (with all the important things, cards, keys, phone all in one easy to snatch package!) and it's really upsetting.

I hope they catch the guy.

Lemon crunch cake sounds lovely though.

I have no more spends to declare at the moment, but think will need to go buy milk tomorrow.
    Total debt: £9473.62 £7,384.87 22% PAID
    TAF #25 NSD 8/12 | Food £43.45/£50 | eBay 0/20 | Exercise 5/18
    Proud to be Dealing with my Debt
    DFD: June 2015
  • nattyt
    Evening all. Have just updated my totals and i'm at £184.56 leaving £65.44 for the rest of month. 19 days so that works out at 3.45 ish per day! Good job i have quite alot in and shouldn't need to get too much! I've include everything in..eg magazines, toiletries etc. Do other people just include food or other stuff. I haven't been including rabbit and fish food although i may do next month. Thinking of trying for £230 next month and gradually try and get it down to £200. I'm spending way too much money at the moment. I keep a spending diary but tbh this month its mainly on necessary stuff. The only things i am looking at and seeing a problem is when i go to shop if i've run out of milk/bread and come home with 'treats'! So yesterday i stocked up on both which are now in freezer. Made the kids some treats (far cheaper and healthier!) and frozen half. I WILL come in on budget! xx
    If music be the food of love then play on
    "No matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow". ღ ~Maya Angelou
    Doing it for my kids. For a better secure life. x
    • kirsty822001
    • By kirsty822001 9th Feb 11, 9:10 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 2,109 Thanks
    kirsty822001
    Am poorly with sinus throat infection so not been shopping!!! I did go to the local bakers on monday for bread and hubby went to local shop for milk, had chippy for tea as i am sick,,last nite oh took kids over his mums,,monday was left overs and sat and sun was freezer dinner,,lovely roast beef sun homemade yorkshire and loads veg and pots,,dunno how i made it felt awful!
    I made a lemon drizzle cake as had 2 lemons shrivelling in bowl and 2 lots of twinks last week and this,,,so all in all we are doing well,,need some supplies BUT dont need loads,,thats the hard bit just getting what we need! I am going to make a list of this weeks meals and see exactly what we need and try to just get that,,feeling awful anyway so may not be able to go out for stuff tomorrow. Had 2nd lot of antibs made me very ill :-( only took one and had huge reaction,,just had one of the new ones gp has prescribed,,hopefully it will stay down !!
    happy planning and shopping all ;-)
    Life happens when you are busy making other plans

Sealed Pot Member #1149 (£340 saved 2011)
    • lizziebabe
    • By lizziebabe 9th Feb 11, 9:23 PM
    • 1,090 Posts
    • 4,388 Thanks
    lizziebabe
    Sorry lizzie, I cheated . Sweated a red onion, then added some p*t*ks curry paste, the lamb, potato, a couple of tins of tomatoes and some frozen spinach. Still, it has made at least a meal for 4, instead of 1 meal for the dog
    Originally posted by rachelww1

Thanks rachel - I love a curry and takeaways are quite expensive now so will try this one. I have never used p*t**ks paste so it will be a whole new experience Do you brown the meat first?

With this challenge I am trying not to have so many takeaways and it is good for me not to be so lazy..... plus I can make extra and freeze it so I have another meal on the days I haven't got so much time to cook from scratch.

Another NSD for me today - Yay! I went to see the King's Speech instead of food shopping - Far much more fun!!
    Last edited by lizziebabe; 09-02-2011 at 9:24 PM. Reason: Update
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 9th Feb 11, 9:41 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    Having great FUN with the bread making, I read all the recipes instructions and tips, then went off and did my own thing like I usually do.
    My first effort most definitely resembled a frisbee, the 2nd was better and the 3rd looked more loaf like. The fourth tasted like bread and looked kind of bread like.
    I loved the idea of the long proving and no kneading and a tiny amount of yeast, and making it in an old pot. After 18 hrs sitting in the kitchen in the bowl of my halogen oven with a shower cap on, with everyone ogling it, I finally turned it out on the a floured surface and shaped it, the silky feeling of that live culture was sooooooo luxurious.
    I worked quickly then plopped the dough on a tea towel covered in wheat bran (that I got at the newly opened fruit shop for 30p its £1.39 for Jordan's). Then left it for its final proving, two hours later, with my hot pot at the ready I decided it was time to bake the bread.
    DD2 and DGD (5 1/2 months ) were sitting at the table watching me.
    I slipped my right hand under the tea towel, and grabbed the handle of my hot pot, just as I was about to transfer the bread to the pot I realised the bread was 4 in wider than the pot, too late in it went. With a quick flick of my wrist, in the oven it went, lid on.
    My audience was in hysterics, especially my DGD who LOVES watching me in the kitchen, she's always wiling to test the end results too which is nice.
    I set the timer for 30 min, then whipped the lid off, set the timer for 15 minutes more. The smell in the kitchen was glorious. I opened the oven and took the pot out and turned the bread out. It smelled like bread, but looked like a BOWL he he. Anyway , the smell soon had the rest of the family in the kitchen, We were all standing staring at it for a while, my DD2 then went on to to try and explain why it looked so ODD, my husband is always saying I'm a good cook, just funny to watch, like Dawn French doing a take off of Delia Smith, he said it again, my DD2 then added "Naw she said Mrs Doubtfire's in there too somewhere".

Anyway off to bed to dream of dough, both kinds I'm hoping to come up with a cunning plan of how I'm going to raise them!
    Originally posted by Mothership
    OMG this is almost get SENSUAL! It must be the effect of the yeast and the rising over long periods! : rotfl: LOl I am mad-don't worry!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • youngmummy
    NSD today or yesterday as diddnt go out x
    (#80 save 12k in 2015) aim £10,000
    make £10 a day in 2015 £261/£4000
    emergency fund aim £100/£1000
    £1 a day for xmas 2015 £0/£365
    NSD feb 0/16
    feb GC £0/£120
    • sorting myself out
    • By sorting myself out 9th Feb 11, 10:56 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    sorting myself out
    Popped into Mr m's today and got a few bits and bobs,....Nowt special unfortunatley! Cat sitting duties over and some perfume as a pressies! which was a nice surprise! Need to get my meal planner started now that i'm back home and keep to it! Got a nice long list form everybodies favourites! Thank you!
    Debt free since July 2013 - Saving for a rainy day ☔️☔️☀️☀️
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

718Posts Today

6,550Users online

Martin's Twitter