Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge 24th Jan 11 at 3:50 PM
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the second Grocery Challenge of 2011

This is my first time starting the thread so EEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK! It's a bit scary.

Pink, you're not going to shout at me are you? Just thought I would have try to help you out and have a bash at it myself this month. Credit where it's due Pink - this thing has pickled me brain!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your January budget, then keep on posting in the January 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month. Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 28-01-2011 at 8:44 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 40
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 8th Feb 11, 7:07 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 8,701 Thanks
    minnie2
    Dont forget to print the 50p voucher off from the velvet site, i went to Mr M this morning (thanks minnie2) cost me 1.79 for the 9 rolls,
    Originally posted by l.m.hart

I cant believe i forgot about the voucher!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i vaguely remember you telling me about it!!!!! i bought 9x packets boo hoo!! where is the voucher? i was going to buy 3more packets but i may buy more than that now as its such a gd offer!
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
    • guccigoo
    • By guccigoo 8th Feb 11, 7:25 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 5,112 Thanks
    guccigoo
    hi all been busy so not posted for a while, ive been good in sticking to my meal plan which includes new recipes, i dont this one yesterday its called Spicy Sausage pasta

2tbsp olive oil
    6-8 sausages
    1 onion chopped finely
    1 garlic clove, chopped
    400g tin chopped tomatoes
    1tsp oregano
    350g penne pasta
    1tbsp red pesto

heat oil in frying pan and cook the sausages till browned for about 8 mins on a high heat, remove and cut into chunks.
    fry onion and garlic for 5 mins, add tomatoes, sausage pieces and oregano, season to taste. Cover and simmer for 10 mins. Cook the pasta in boiling water till tender.
    When sauce has thickened, stir in the pesto. Drain the pasta, stir in the sauce and serve.
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
  • rosieben
    guccigoo, your Spicy Sausage pasta recipe is indexed
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • never too old
    • By never too old 8th Feb 11, 7:40 PM
    • 2,958 Posts
    • 31,309 Thanks
    never too old
    I cant believe i forgot about the voucher!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i vaguely remember you telling me about it!!!!! i bought 9x packets boo hoo!! where is the voucher? i was going to buy 3more packets but i may buy more than that now as its such a gd offer!
    Originally posted by minnie2
    if you go into the velvet toilet tissue site you will see the tab for the coupon, 1.79 for 9 rolls of decent toilet tissue is and amazing price,i assume your purchases are classed as spaving .
    2019 in 2019 challenge no 18
    1% challenge no 70
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge

1993.52 / 2019
    0%/100%
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 8th Feb 11, 7:44 PM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 8,086 Thanks
    Ilona
    B2gof
    Stocked up a bit today with cat food and breakfast cereals, Tes&co have a buy two get one free offer. Three bags of porridge oats for 1.50, great. Also fancied some crisps so got a bag of their Value 12 bags for 48p. Spent 16.70, with a saving of 8.11.
    Filled the car up for 45.78. I don't begrudge this because my car and my days out are the reason why I am frugal with everything else.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    • runnerbean17
    • By runnerbean17 8th Feb 11, 8:21 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 2,498 Thanks
    runnerbean17
    Well spent 37.40 today so my Feb budget not looking too good at the min I've only got 60.52 left BUT it is my first time

Got bag of Quorn sausages and bag of Quorn spicy strips for only 1 each in Icel&nd today
    Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend...

• NickJW
    • By NickJW 8th Feb 11, 8:34 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    I usually buy six large free range eggs from the smallholding up the road for 1.25, but just lately I have been getting them from B & M for 99p. I would never buy eggs from caged birds, would rather go without, the poor hens have a terrible life.
    Ilona
    Originally posted by Ilona
    I'm the same. But did you see the thing with the ducks which were supposedly 'free range' destined for Waitr*se today on the news. The way they were grabbed and treated was truly sickening. You wonder if ANYTHING is ethically produced nowadays...
    It really did make me think hard about going veggie. Sometimes I think the more you know about life the unhappier you are <sticks head in sand>.

Anyway - on a lighter note, the freezer fiasco has resulted in another NSD!
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 46.05/130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent 1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent 1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011
  • katholicos
    Re: eggs.

I try to buy free range, but i do also purchase caged hen eggs sometimes. I do feel my conscience is piqued when i buy caged hen eggs, but sometimes (most of the time, actually) its about stretching a very small amount of money as far as it will go and eggs are such a big part of our eating habits as we use them in so many of our meals and baking.

Something i sometimes wonder about is how it doesn't (to my knowledge) state on every shop brought cake, biscuit, readymeal (yuk) etc, that free range eggs have been used, or whether the eggs used were from caged hens. So i don't think one can get too antsy about it unless they specifically eat only self prepared food and nothing ready made which lists egg as an ingredient.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
    Grocery Challenge for October: 135/200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • martafdz
    Thought i would just say, that i have managed to get away for a month or so now with only doing one shop a week -no top-up shopping- by buying milk & bread (these seem to be what i was running out of most) and freezing them. I take the milk out the night before we will be needing it and leave it in the sink to defrost it tastes exactly the same and works out cheaper as we usually buy the 2 for 3 offers etc...And bread offers too so this works out cheaper. SO if you have extra space in your freezer would def recommend this
    Originally posted by debtfreewannabe321
    I only have a fridge freezer and I cannot freeze milk (no room whatsoever) but I do buy Cravendale milk since it lasts for about 2-3 weeks. I might buy 8 bottles of 2 pints (2 x 3 atm in MrM) and they last me for about 18-20 days.

EDIT: I went to MrM hungry... 27.25 spent. I bought a chicken at 2.40, pork shoulder joint at 3.50, 8 chicken breast at 6.50, Shredies Cereal on offer big box at 1.37, tupperwares I needed for freezing (3 at 1.40), Kingsmill bread 80p, 4 bags of Nescafe white coffee satchets and some bits and bobs. I could live without a few things, like the chocolate muffins or the chewing gum. I really should not go when I am hungry... I needed the coffee, though. I don't go to the same schools all the time and most of the days I go to two different places. I do not have a car and carrying around coffee mate and instant coffee jars is a bit tiring. I just put 3 or 4 satchets in the bag and they save me the 50p it costs from the machine without having to carry all those jars around in the handbag. Off to update sig!
    Last edited by martafdz; 08-02-2011 at 8:57 PM.
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • Long tall sally
    Managed to have a NSD today. We had spag bol for dinner which I normally put celery or mushrooms in but didn't have either so just had carrots, onion & garlic in it, stretched it further with two tinsof tomatoes instead of one as it was a smaller amount of mince than usual & had it with penne pasta as we had run out of spagetti but still it tasted fine!

Spiggle - hope you (& hubby) are ok now.
    Grocery aim 450pm.Spent 519 August, 584 July, 544 June, 541 May, 549 April, 517 March, 517 Feb,555 Jan, 573 Dec, 465Nov, 561Oct, 493Sept, 426Aug,496 Jul, 528Jun, 506May,498April, 558 March, 500Feb, 500 Jan, 490 Dec, 555 Nov,566 Oct, 505Sept, 450Aug, 410 July, 437 June, 491 May, 471 April, 440 March, 552Feb, 462Jan
  • 2joanne
    Only 120.66 spent on 2 weeks shops!!!! I'm so so chuffed, this time last year it was that for 1 week!!

Off to update sig!!!

Ps shepherds pie topped with sweet potato (with some parmesean or grand pandano grated in) ........absolutley lush & highly recommended!

Enjoy!
    LBM 8/6/12
    Tesco:gone Wardrobe credit: gone
    Barclays 3669.71; Car 8820; 1st D 15000; Total:9135.21/36692 25%
    DFD Nov 2015
    • NickJW
    • By NickJW 8th Feb 11, 9:23 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    Re: eggs.

I try to buy free range, but i do also purchase caged hen eggs sometimes. I do feel my conscience is piqued when i buy caged hen eggs, but sometimes (most of the time, actually) its about stretching a very small amount of money as far as it will go and eggs are such a big part of our eating habits as we use them in so many of our meals and baking.

Something i sometimes wonder about is how it doesn't (to my knowledge) state on every shop brought cake, biscuit, readymeal (yuk) etc, that free range eggs have been used, or whether the eggs used were from caged hens. So i don't think one can get too antsy about it unless they specifically eat only self prepared food and nothing ready made which lists egg as an ingredient.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
    Originally posted by katholicos
    I know - I agree totally. I feel guilty for bringing it up, but it's been on my mind all day. We all do the best we can, and no matter how hard we try (unless we grow and raise all of our own food) there is no way to avoid not having certain things
    Like I said - the less we know the happier we are sometimes.
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 46.05/130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent 1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent 1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011
  • katholicos
    I know - I agree totally. I feel guilty for bringing it up, but it's been on my mind all day. We all do the best we can, and no matter how hard we try (unless we grow and raise all of our own food) there is no way to avoid not having certain things
    Like I said - the less we know the happier we are sometimes.
    Originally posted by NickJW
    In the words of Gordy and Dave, 'I agree with Nick'
    Grocery Challenge for October: 135/200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 8th Feb 11, 10:38 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    When I was in Iceland a woman was buying the muffins(bread type) which were on offer bogof. Girl at till pointed it out that she only had one. woman said they get wasted if I get two-my son never eats them all. I was so tempted to say "why don't you freeze them?" but I didn't bother-she didn't look short of a bob or two and "doesn't everyone in Iceland" know what freezers are for? I guess I was too taken aback to speak!!!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • rachelww1
    Have you got the recipe for the curry - it sounds yummy!
    Originally posted by lizziebabe
    Sorry lizzie, I cheated . Sweated a red onion, then added some p*t*ks curry paste, the lamb, potato, a couple of tins of tomatoes and some frozen spinach. Still, it has made at least a meal for 4, instead of 1 meal for the dog
    LBM Dec 10. Total unsecured debt 41176 Nov 12 Debt Free Thanks Mum x RIP x

2013 Savings 250
    2013 OP 3500
  • rosieben
    Only 120.66 spent on 2 weeks shops!!!! I'm so so chuffed, this time last year it was that for 1 week!! ...
    Originally posted by 2joanne
    that is some achievement, well done

... So i don't think one can get too antsy about it unless they specifically eat only self prepared food and nothing ready made which lists egg as an ingredient. ...
    Originally posted by katholicos
    absolutely agree with this, I buy free range stuff whenever I can but it isn't always possible or affordable
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Mothership
    Rotflmao! Bread bread bread!!!!!
    Having great FUN with the bread making, I read all the recipes instructions and tips, then went off and did my own thing like I usually do.
    My first effort most definitely resembled a frisbee, the 2nd was better and the 3rd looked more loaf like. The fourth tasted like bread and looked kind of bread like.
    I loved the idea of the long proving and no kneading and a tiny amount of yeast, and making it in an old pot. After 18 hrs sitting in the kitchen in the bowl of my halogen oven with a shower cap on, with everyone ogling it, I finally turned it out on the a floured surface and shaped it, the silky feeling of that live culture was sooooooo luxurious.
    I worked quickly then plopped the dough on a tea towel covered in wheat bran (that I got at the newly opened fruit shop for 30p its 1.39 for Jordan's). Then left it for its final proving, two hours later, with my hot pot at the ready I decided it was time to bake the bread.
    DD2 and DGD (5 1/2 months ) were sitting at the table watching me.
    I slipped my right hand under the tea towel, and grabbed the handle of my hot pot, just as I was about to transfer the bread to the pot I realised the bread was 4 in wider than the pot, too late in it went. With a quick flick of my wrist, in the oven it went, lid on.
    My audience was in hysterics, especially my DGD who LOVES watching me in the kitchen, she's always wiling to test the end results too which is nice.
    I set the timer for 30 min, then whipped the lid off, set the timer for 15 minutes more. The smell in the kitchen was glorious. I opened the oven and took the pot out and turned the bread out. It smelled like bread, but looked like a BOWL he he. Anyway , the smell soon had the rest of the family in the kitchen, We were all standing staring at it for a while, my DD2 then went on to to try and explain why it looked so ODD, my husband is always saying I'm a good cook, just funny to watch, like Dawn French doing a take off of Delia Smith, he said it again, my DD2 then added "Naw she said Mrs Doubtfire's in there too somewhere".
    We let it cool for a while then attacked it with a bread knife, and we all sat round the table eating a chunk of the bowl/bread, it even TASTED like bread, nicely risen with a really good crust and texture.
    It just looked odd LOL. There's just enough left to do breakfast.
    Anyway, I've got attempt no 5 proving in the kitchen, next time I will do the 2nd proving in a bowl SMALLER than the baking pot, I'm trying another blend of flours /sugar and salt with a little butter. I've made a bit extra as I want to try and make a few rolls as well. I will keep you posted how it turns out. I've got about 6 bags of plain/ bread flour , by the time I've got through them I hope to have mastered the art of bread/roll/pizza making.

I've only spent about 4 on milk since my last supermarket shop. My husband was taking DD1 to T***0's and I asked him to get me a lettuce, he couldn't BELIEVE I was passing up a trip to the supermarket, and went on to lecture me about not being able to control myself when it comes to shopping, to which I replied "Oh But I can my dear, I'm not going, I'm sending you instead!'
    He came back with the lettuce, all pleased with his bargain at 50p. The good thing about sending him is he NEVER gets anything you don't tell him to.

Tomorrow I have to go to MAKRO for bacon and supplies for my guests, that will come out of a different budget.
    Then I have to pop into the only butchers in Glasgow that sells STORNAWAY black pudding, it really special, quite hard to find, I see Donald Russell sell it for around 5 for 4 slice, whoa! thats RIDICULOUS! I can get a whole pudding well over a kilo for around 7.50. Then Farmfoods for milk and BREAD, I wont subject my guests to MY bread until I can get it to at least look like bread LOL.
    I'm hoping to get back home without any unnecessary purchases, as my aim is to use EVERYTHING in the fridge before I buy ANYTHING. I simply must get another drawer of the freezer empty for the meat order from DR coming on the 25th.

Anyway off to bed to dream of dough, both kinds I'm hoping to come up with a cunning plan of how I'm going to raise them!
    1st Purse 114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse 100
    Fridge Freezer 300 3rd Purse /290.94
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 9th Feb 11, 4:34 AM
    • 4,842 Posts
    • 58,667 Thanks
    sistercas
    [QUOTE=katholicos;41028306]Re: eggs.

QUOTE]

i know what you mean , i buy free range when i can but i have found as prices have gone up that i cant do that anymore
    although someone told me sainsbugs basic eggs arnt caged but i dont know if that is true

managed 6 out of 8 NSD but i am going to sainsbugs and t3sco tonight
    I have been looking at my superm@rket as t3sco have cat food on offer 3 for 2 but working it out on that offer , fel!x is 26p a packet , sainsbugs have an offer 2 packs for 6 which works out at 25p a packet - so i will get mine from there

done my shopping list and hoping to stick to it but DD2 is coming with me which isnt good - ive told her if she wants anything she is to take her own money - but we'll see if she does
  • scotsaver
    Morning everyone - my trip to L!dl yesterday for ONLY Eggs didn't go to plan. They had some Free Range chickens whoopsied so I picked up 2 of those along with the Eggs, my total has been updated.

Should be a NSD today. Off to the Allotment to keep me busy.

Have a good day everyone.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• Candy Belle

Yey!!!!! Another NSD yesterday!!!
    Grocery Challange for DH, Me & 2 Fussy Cats (inc Grocerys, Cleaning Products & Cat Food)
    G/C -May 177.04/235.00 Apr 237.79/235.00 Mar 226.16 /235.00
    G/C - Jan 248.52/235.00 - Feb214.72/235.00
    NSD -May 3/31 Apr 10/30 Mar 3/31 Feb 6/28 NSD Jan 3/31
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

811Posts Today

6,731Users online

Martin's Twitter