Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge 24th Jan 11 at 3:50 PM
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the second Grocery Challenge of 2011

This is my first time starting the thread so EEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK! It's a bit scary.

Pink, you're not going to shout at me are you? Just thought I would have try to help you out and have a bash at it myself this month. Credit where it's due Pink - this thing has pickled me brain!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your January budget, then keep on posting in the January 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month. Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 28-01-2011 at 8:44 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 32
  • cat_smith
    Lazy dinner as I've been feeling off colour. Pasta for OH and used up some eggs and almost OOD s/salmon for me. Going to make bread tomorrow - before I go to Mr T (just in case it doesn't work). Beef Crumble started - need the stuffing topping from shop tomorrow. Also making Coq au Vin so we have dinner ready for monday (community meeting to protest at location of allotments - probably going to be the best attended in years)
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
    • fedupandskint
    • By fedupandskint 5th Feb 11, 7:47 PM
    • 10,351 Posts
    • 97,525 Thanks
    fedupandskint
    I decided to bake a cake for my mum's birthday meal instead of buying one. I used the domestic goddess' recipe for coffee and walnut and have just taken it out of the oven and it looks great! Just need to buttercream it tomorrow. Meaning it cost me 98p for butter and £1 for walnut pieces. Pleased with this result and only £2 out of the budget from this morning's spends
    final unsecured debt to repay currently £8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
  • TheBees
    Hi everyone

Just did the first real shopping of the month today - spent over £100 in MrT but had a £7 off a £70 shop voucher which helped. I was accompanied by DS17 who needed the driving practice in my car and who has also been causing problems refusing to eat the food we put in his packed lunch and buying pizza from the school canteen instead. I told him he had to come shopping to show me what he WOULD eat as I'm fed up him wasting food! He also wastes £1 a day on drinks from a machine so we stocked up on cans that worked out at less than 30p each. I know fizzy drinks are not great but if he's going to buy them anyway then he may as well take one from home.

In the slow cooker at the moment I have a chicken cooking which will be pulled apart and used for a)sandwiches next week b)risotto or chicken pie one day next week. Also managed to get some reduced sea bass (down to £2 something instead of £8) which was put in a special sealed pack that you simply throw in the oven with the herb butter/lemon/parsley to cook. We don't eat a lot of fish but DS17 persuaded me to buy it and we'll have it with some new potatoes and veg.

I think I have enough food for the next 10 days and the fridge and freezer are absolutely full.

Good luck everyone. Off to work out exactly how much has been spent and re jig the meal plan.
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off £9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target £500
  • martafdz
    hi where do i go for recipes? would like to make/create some new dishes as i seem to do the same old thing!! and any suggestions about what to do with mince pork or turkey please let me know! i do savoury mince and chilli con carne and bolognese etc.
    Originally posted by minnie2
    I sometimes do wraps. I fry the mince meat with some onion and garlic. Then add 1/3 of a Fajita seasoning satchet when it's almost done, stir, leave for a minute and put on wraps or tortillas with a bit of salad. 250g of mince meat make around 6 wraps for me.
    I have somewhere a Spanish recipe for a flat pastry pie (it's called empanada) that has onion, mince meat, tomato and peppers inside. If I find the recipe I will post it. You can also make individual ones. Photos below:

I used to get So Good soya milk for my cereals, but I have changed to supermarket own brand, which is acceptable. I think one company must make it for all the supermarkets because it tastes the same wherever you get it from.
    Originally posted by Ilona
    There is a thread around this forum where people were posting who made some "supermarket own brand" items. It turned out that in some cases some popular brands were making different versions of the same product for different supermarkets, sometimes changing very little like a bit more of this or that and less or more cooking time. You are quite right in there, supermarkets just ask some brand to make their own unbranded stuff. I am trying the basics of pretty much everything to see if I like it and keeping my mind open. most of the times is the packaging that is unappealing. The other day I bought MrM Chocolate Digestives for 60p or so, I think they were slightly thicker than the original ones but I could not find any difference in taste, not even in the chocolate!
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • TheBees
    Oh and I forgot to say - tonight we had chinese stir fry. Mr T were selling ready cooked noodles on BOGOF and stir fry veg on BOGOF. We made our own stir fry sauce with 2 dessert spoons of soy sauce, sweet chilli sauce and peanut butter with a bit of water. (A recipe from the Waitrose weekend magazine). DH turned his nose up at the fact that I hadn't bought any meat of any sort to go with it but in fact it was really filling and we didn't really miss the meat. I bought two packs of each and there's enough left over to have it again on Monday! Can't leave it any longer or the veg will be feeling a bit sorry for itself.
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off £9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target £500
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 5th Feb 11, 9:26 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    Went to Morr. today as dd loves the cheapo noodles as a weekend lunch, but doesn't like the carroty bits you get in the a@da ones!! They're only 10p each, bought 5, and ended up spending £9.37, although got all things I'll use fairly quickly, including lots of packup stuff. They also had the condensed soups on half price, 37p each. Also went to pet shop and got food for guineas, 20% off, so another £6.87. Takes my total up to nearly half way, is that possible?!! Do have shedloads in though, and I'm actually using stuff up now, so this is less than I guess I would've spent.

My mum is coming to visit tomorrow, so have made a cheesecake and some ginger biscuits, and we'll have hm pizzas for lunch. How good is that?! Not made the biccies b4, but I'm sure they'll be nice... Then it'll be mac cheese with lo ham for dinner, It always feels good going to bed knowing what you're having to eat the next day! I do a monthly meal plan, but for tom it said picnic-style lunch and fish pie for dinner!! Think I need to have a little think about my planning strategies!! May just list 28/30/31 meals, then cross them off when I've had them. Hmm...

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • Missus Aka
    Not an NSD me for today but i didnt spend anything grocery wise, will have to pick up the few bits and pieces i was supposed to buy today possibly tomorrow/maybe monday
    £90/£135 still,
    The rest will cover though not needed yet:
    £8 of breast chicken fillets, £8 veg, £3 fruit, £1.50 bread x 2, salam x3 £8.37, £1.50 binbags, £1.39 spread cheese, £4.00 cheddar cheese, £? saffron powder and some pitta bread £1. Will be about just less then a tenner left for anything else i might need

The dolmas i made ended up costing £15 but made 10 dinners plus 3 for my DS3 it could have easily bulked it out with more rice if i wanted to make more and would still have tasted good.
    SPC Member#1096 Target £150 Feb Count £82.18
    Aug Make£5P.DayChal £0/£155
    My August £100 Grocery Challenge £49.90/£100
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 5th Feb 11, 9:38 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    need to add £34.01, that was £8 in the farm shop on 20 clemintines 10 apples and a 20kg bag of spuds, then went to lidl and got 16 2lter bottles of diet coke and 8 bottles of coke at 89p each, and 2 blocks of 400g cheese and cause i spent my hubby is he added 3 6packs of golden wonder in lol so that was £26.01, altho i'm expecting the coke to last a good wee while
    DFW £7632/£28996 26.3%
  • Long tall sally
    need to add £34.01, that was £8 in the farm shop on 20 clemintines 10 apples and a 20kg bag of spuds, then went to lidl and got 16 2lter bottles of diet coke and 8 bottles of coke at 89p each, and 2 blocks of 400g cheese and cause i spent my hubby is he added 3 6packs of golden wonder in lol so that was £26.01, altho i'm expecting the coke to last a good wee while
    Originally posted by quintwins
    ooh, I am a Coke drinker. Do you know if that is just a weekend offer or whether it will still be on next week aswell?
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • WelshWoofer
    No more spends to report but am feeling quite smug as I used up very sprouty potatoes, soft tomatoes, an aging onion and a bit of hardening cheese to make a cheese and potato pie for tea - and very nice it was too!
    Usually, it would have all ended up in the bin

Surprising how virtuous you can be when you're skint
    January grocery spending - £82.73/ £120
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 5th Feb 11, 10:16 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    ooh, I am a Coke drinker. Do you know if that is just a weekend offer or whether it will still be on next week aswell?
    Originally posted by Long tall sally

no it's a weekend deal and i'm in n.ireland so the offers are different,but i know iceland do 3liters for £1.60 ish, i drink coke and my hubby drinks diet coke he drinks alot more than me even tho he works all day and i'm here all day so he got twice as much, shud last us ages tho
    DFW £7632/£28996 26.3%
  • Long tall sally
    Thanks for that - I will close to an Ic*land Monday or Wednesday.
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
    • Billie-jo
    • By Billie-jo 5th Feb 11, 10:30 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 15,892 Thanks
    Billie-jo
    hi where do i go for recipes? would like to make/create some new dishes as i seem to do the same old thing!! and any suggestions about what to do with mince pork or turkey please let me know! i do savoury mince and chilli con carne and bolognese etc.
    Often do this recipie in the summer, we had it in a chinese we used to go to and although this isnt exactly the same it is pretty near. It is also a good one for Slimming w0rld - (or it used to be, not been for ages so may have altered the sins)

PORK YUK SUNG

some iceberg lettuce leaves - left whole
    1lb pork mince (or chicken or turkey)
    1 onion chopped
    galic clove - crushed
    small piece ginger - finely chopped or grated
    1 chopped chilli - optional
    some chopped peppers - optional
    1-2 carrots grated
    1 courgette grated - optional
    some chopped mushrooms - optional
    about a teaspoon of chinese 5 spice
    few drops of soy sauce or fish sauce.

In a frying pan add drop oil and fry the pork, onion, garlic, ginger, chilli and peppers if using , when nearly done add the grated carrot, courgette is using and the 5 spice, then add the soy or fish sauce. If it looks like it will be a bit dry add drop of water.
    When all cooked spoon into the lettuce leaves.
    I often dont cook the carrot but add it raw.
    Have also fried some of the thin glass noodles and sprinkled over the top but cant always find them so again this is optional.

We have this with a tomato salad and sometimes potato wedges.

Tonight we have had the following and its pretty good.

STIR FRY BEEF & ONIONS WITH BROCCOLI

1-2 onions sliced
    1 garlic clove - crushed
    small piece ginger - grated
    chopped chilli - optional
    drop water
    small broccoli florets
    thin frying steak - cut into strips.

MARINADE-
    1 TBSP CORN FLOUR
    1-2 TBSP SOY SAUCE

Mix the marinade above and put the strips of steak in to it for about 15 mins
    Heat wok or frying pan add drop oil and cook the garlic, ginger and chilli if using for 2-3 mins
    Fry the beef then remove.
    Fry the onions and broccoli and when nearly done add everything back in. Add the water to make a little gravy and if needed add more soy. Serve with rice.

This can be altered to include mushrooms or pak choi if you have any.

We had this for tea tonight and also some battered chicken with lemon sauce. The grand children loved it although they dont like rice so they had a large salad with it instead and a few prawn crackers.

Will update on todays spends sometime tomorrow as receipt in the car and too cold and wet to go out in p.j's for it.
    Last edited by Billie-jo; 05-02-2011 at 10:49 PM.
    [COLOR="Purple"][B] MARCH £62.38/250 [B][COLOR="Purple"]
  • rosieben
    you dont happen to know if there is a thread about allergies on here? i have loads food allergies and general allergies. main food ones are all dairy products and beef - the whole cow im anaphylactic so fairly severe!
    not sure what you're lookiing for exactly but I know we have some Gluten Free threads in the Complete Cooking collection; there may be useful things 'Healthy eating' section and several threads on 'dairy free' - including here and here

prophecy_grrl, Hippeechiq, Billie-jo your recipes are all indexed
    Last edited by rosieben; 05-02-2011 at 11:18 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • youngmummy
    hi all went to mr t this morning and spent £65.37p i have updated my signature. im doing an anual budget so will just update and post as i go.
    Originally posted by youngmummy
    if anyone was wondering why im up posting a stupid o'clock when i have a LO too see too all day its because im really strugling to sleep lately
    i forgot to say i would of been more but i used our healthy start vouchers for the veg and milk as LO aged 2 no longer has formula. he stopped having it about 6 months ago he only had the toddler formula till then because he refused to drink cows milk.
    ill be going to iceland on monday as i need a few things for the frezzer and they have t'bags on offer for £3 the same ones are nearly £5 in mr t's.
    ive been feeling really down though lately as i already have a feeling i wont meet my targets (see sig) but OH said not to worry too much anythink in savings is better than nothing . oh well we're trying our best. any tips id be very greatful x take care. good luck everyone.
    im going to meet my targets, i will meet my targets, i will do it ....... hopefully
    (#80 save 12k in 2015) aim £10,000
    make £10 a day in 2015 £261/£4000
    emergency fund aim £100/£1000
    £1 a day for xmas 2015 £0/£365
    NSD feb 0/16
    feb GC £0/£120
    • lovecrafting
    • By lovecrafting 6th Feb 11, 7:33 AM
    • 1,705 Posts
    • 13,732 Thanks
    lovecrafting
    no spends yet for me in feb, we have been hibernating so i havent brought anything at all. I will need to go out and get milk today at some point, the cupboards and freezer are full so i really want to use up all possible meals before buying anything in feb.

today were having roast pork, mash, veg maybee some yorkshires, and a chocolate cake after it.

I also have more eggs than i can shake a stick at that need used up. my hens are laying like mad so i will be making lots of egg mayo i think.
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 6th Feb 11, 7:55 AM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 58,661 Thanks
    sistercas
    NSD day for me 4 out of 6 not going out not sure if i'm even getting dressed

i have just donated to save the children online though - does that count?? it hasnt come out of the food budget

doing a tiny chicken for lunch , i dont think there will be much left after we 4 have devoured it but i'm hoping to squeeze some for sandwiches tomorrow

doing sprouts and parnisps ( left from xmas, blanched and frozen ) and some mashed spuds

Helen hope you are doing ok hun xx
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 6th Feb 11, 7:58 AM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 58,661 Thanks
    sistercas
    I have somewhere a Spanish recipe for a flat pastry pie (it's called empanada) that has onion, mince meat, tomato and peppers inside. If I find the recipe I will post it. You can also make individual ones. Photos below:

Originally posted by martafdz
    ooh i like the look of the spanish pie , i'd like to try that
    • toddles*
    • By toddles* 6th Feb 11, 8:53 AM
    • 360 Posts
    • 2,653 Thanks
    toddles*
    spent £12 in Mr S yesterday, finding it hard to do a Big shop, just buying things when I need it.
    And I try to go as late as possible to get the woopies.
    off to birthday party this afternoon so will be a nice NSD for me today
    hope everyone is having a lovely weekend
    Happy days
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 6th Feb 11, 9:12 AM
    • 513 Posts
    • 8,701 Thanks
    minnie2
    thanx everyone for the help and ideas!!! much appreciated!!!
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,364Posts Today

6,873Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin