Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge 24th Jan 11 at 3:50 PM
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the second Grocery Challenge of 2011

This is my first time starting the thread so EEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK! It's a bit scary.

Pink, you're not going to shout at me are you? Just thought I would have try to help you out and have a bash at it myself this month. Credit where it's due Pink - this thing has pickled me brain!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your January budget, then keep on posting in the January 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month. Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 28-01-2011 at 8:44 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 31
    • mummyjane
    • By mummyjane 5th Feb 11, 3:49 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 3,685 Thanks
    mummyjane
    A NSD for me today as I was up all night poorly. Kids off to my mums until tomorrow so at least I can take it easy and catch up on here

Awful weather outside, just have to resist the pull of online shopping now....
    Groceries Challenge 2019
    Jan 462.44/400
    Feb 210.10/450, 2/10 NSDs
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 5th Feb 11, 3:53 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 8,701 Thanks
    minnie2
    Hi
    Have you checked out the lovely recipes that Rosieben posts on Page 1 - there are hundreds on there and she has listed them in meal type order, just scroll down the page till you find a meal and then click on it to get the recipe - simples!! HTH

Helen
    Originally posted by helen jelly

thank you!!!!! will have a look - thought they were on a different thread - so thats great!! i have a very limited diet but feel a bit guilty that hubby ends up limited too!!

you dont happen to know if there is a thread about allergies on here? i have loads food allergies and general allergies. main food ones are all dairy products and beef - the whole cow im anaphylactic so fairly severe!
    Last edited by minnie2; 05-02-2011 at 3:57 PM.
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
    • wmf
    • By wmf 5th Feb 11, 3:56 PM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 21,848 Thanks
    wmf
    Bread and some basics pittas to go in the freezer so will update my total. Trying (still!!) to defrost my freezer so have been using up stuff and avoiding a big shop. Off to read back and see what you have all been up to!
    W
    • fedupandskint
    • By fedupandskint 5th Feb 11, 3:57 PM
    • 10,351 Posts
    • 97,525 Thanks
    fedupandskint
    Corned beef stew:
    6 x floppy carrots
    6 x small floppy parnsips
    2 HUGE spuds
    4 small wrinkly onions
    Tin corned beef
    3 x veg stock cubs
    2 tbsp mixed herbs
    Water

Chop all the veg into small pieces and put into a big pot
    Add water - I don't measure but I would guess maybe 2-3 litres?
    Add stock cubes and mixed herbs
    Bring to boil & simmer for 20 mins ish
    Chop corned beef into cm ish cubes and add to pot
    Simmer for 1 hour ish

I don't add salt or pepper but I suppose you could to taste. We eat ours with part baked rolls and butter... Mmmm can't wait for DH to get home now to tuck in!!!
    Originally posted by prophecy_grrl
    Thanks

I'll be doing this one night next week if I get back from work early enough otherwise its the weekend

Sounds nice

Just deciding once the freezer contents go down a bit over the next few weeks whether to buy half a pig (in pieces) and put it in the freezer to use. I think it will be more economical to do this than buy like I do now. Anyway won't be this month I don't think so plenty of time to weigh up what to do
    final unsecured debt to repay currently 8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
    • mongmoney
    • By mongmoney 5th Feb 11, 4:04 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    mongmoney
    Mongy's Update
    I'm having trouble updating sig.
    My current spend for feb is 12-86, after a shop at ice and sains today. Going to cook a big curry to freeze tomorrow as I got some reduced chicken from sains.
    Keep going peeps.
    Mongy
    Jan GC 28-49/120 NSD's 15/17
    Dec GC 90-90/140 NSD's 17/18
    Storms make oaks take deeper root
    • esmer
    • By esmer 5th Feb 11, 4:28 PM
    • 1,440 Posts
    • 9,044 Thanks
    esmer
    I went to Asda today for a wee change, and I seemed to have saved a fair bit.

So my first week into Feb, and my shopping was. 34.91
    Saving 2.00 coins
    Grocerys set to 40.00 pw
    Being Thrifty
  • Hippeechiq
    prophecy_grrl Your Corned Beef Stew sounds lovely

you dont happen to know if there is a thread about allergies on here? i have loads food allergies and general allergies. main food ones are all dairy products and beef - the whole cow im anaphylactic so fairly severe!
    Originally posted by minnie2
    Blimey - that's frightening. Poor you

On the minced pork recipe front - I've been making this for over 20 years, and it's very nice indeed

BARBECUE PORK
    Serves 4

2 Tbs Oil
    1 Large Onion, finely chopped
    450g Lean Minced Pork
    2 Red Peppers, diced
    28g Raisins
    3 Tbs Orange Juice
    2 Tbs Clear Honey
    2 Tbs Soy Sauce
    1 Tbs Tomato Puree
    1 Tbs Vinegar
    1 Tsp Paprika
    Tsp Cayenne Pepper
    1 Garlic Clove (I use Lazy Garlic)
    Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste

Heat oil. Add Onion, Pork & Red Peppers and cook gently for 5 mins
    Combine Orange Juice, Honey, Soy Sauce, Tomato Puree, Vinegar, Paprika & Cayenne Pepper and add to pan.
    Followed by the Raisins, Garlic & S & P.
    Bring to boil. Lower temperature, cover and simmer for 45 mins or until pork is cooked through and tender.
    Serve on a bed of Wholewheat Spaghetti

Have spends today of roughly 4.50 ish - need to update siggy but CBA at the mo.
    Aug11 193.29/240

Oct10 266.72 /275 Nov10 276.71/275 Dec10 311.33 / 275 Jan11 242.25/ 250 Feb11 243.14/ 250 Mar11 221.99/ 230
    Apr11 237.39 /240 May11 237.71/240 Jun11 244.03/ 240 July11 244.89/ 240
    Xmas 2011 Fund 220
    • laineyc
    • By laineyc 5th Feb 11, 4:44 PM
    • 907 Posts
    • 5,215 Thanks
    laineyc
    Hippeechiq, I am going to try that recipe. Sounds lovely.
    GC 2011 Feb 626.89/450 NSD3/7 March 531.26/450 April 495.99/500 NSD 0/7 May 502.79/500
    June 511.99/480 July 311.56/480
    • NickJW
    • By NickJW 5th Feb 11, 4:48 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    Hi All

11.92 spent in Mr S today - I was restrained!!!

Urrghh! Just checked my receipt and I scanned the correct price for the sausages instead of the reduced sticker!
    Last edited by NickJW; 05-02-2011 at 4:51 PM. Reason: Forgot something
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 46.05/130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent 1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent 1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011
    • Gorgeestwo
    • By Gorgeestwo 5th Feb 11, 5:09 PM
    • 364 Posts
    • 5,889 Thanks
    Gorgeestwo
    Popped into Mr T's today, spent just over 20, but they had a massive box of fairy washing powder for 10, so not too bad. Also went to Home Bargains and pets at home for a few bits, in total spent 45.47 Off to update my sig.
    Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their weekend.
    Grocery challenge : January 2016 65.86/300
    For 2 adults, 2 children (10 & 9 yrs) 3 cats & 2 dogs.

• gdyr1945
    [QUOTE=XSpender;40921230]I use T0p Cash Back and have made about 200 in the last 10 months from cashback and I don't buy a lot on line as I am out of work at the moment so not much spare cash. I have taken the free trials from cred1t expert and L0ve film both have been hassle free and paid the cash back pretty quickly. 15 for one and about 18 for the other I think when I did them.

Thanks for this. Will have ago at earning a bit extra money. I particularly like the 'hassle free' bit.

Homemade pizza for dinner tonight - yummy. Out all day tomorrow; going to see the Tutenkhmon (?) exhibition at the Trafford Centre. We always find these large shopping places totally confusing as their aren't any where we live.
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 5th Feb 11, 5:36 PM
    • 4,364 Posts
    • 30,028 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi...havent spent today...the weather is awful so stayed in...just made some bread rolls...they smell nice and have sent the lovely smell all over he house...cant be bad

we are having roast turkey tomorrow that was reduced at xmas...might do the last christmas pudding for afters....hopefully we should have leftovers of the turkey for a few packups next week

bye for now
    tessa
    onwards and upwards
    • mummyjane
    • By mummyjane 5th Feb 11, 5:40 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 3,685 Thanks
    mummyjane
    Hippeechiq, your barbeque pork recipe looks scrummy, definitely going to try that this week
    Groceries Challenge 2019
    Jan 462.44/400
    Feb 210.10/450, 2/10 NSDs
  • heidi-rose
    Hi I'm new to this - spent the whole day on my Budget with scary results. So I'm trying to cut my Grocery budget down to 300 per month
    Heidi-Rose
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 5th Feb 11, 6:10 PM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 8,086 Thanks
    Ilona
    a bit of shopping
    I went to Son of Morris today, not where I normally do my shopping, I find some of their fruit and veg lose their freshness very quickly. But I get my cat liter there, it's 1.56 a bag, 4.68 for three bags.

I used to get So Good soya milk for my cereals, but I have changed to supermarket own brand, which is acceptable. I think one company must make it for all the supermarkets because it tastes the same wherever you get it from. At 99p it is 27p cheaper than So Good. I tried Alpro but I don't like that, and I don't like the long life stuff either.

I bought two jars of value honey, 67p each. I have stopped putting sugar in my coffee and use honey instead. Probably more expensive but I want to cut down on sugar.

My other items were...
    2 x McCartney Lasagne 92p each. I like to have a ready meal in the freezer to warm up when I am too tired to cook. I limit these to one a month.
    Celery 50p, will make soup with this.
    Spring rolls, on offer, 50p. Would never pay full price for these.
    Six pack of Whiskas 3.43. I am supplying food for two rescue cats untill we can get them rehomed.
    Punnet of plums on offer 1. Need to get some fruit inside me.
    Naan bread reduced to 15p.
    Sliced ham for the cats, reduced to 59p.
    Total 15.02

Popped in Alllldi when passing. Butternut squash 67p, five bananas for 50p. Noticed that celery was 45p, !!!!!!, 5p less than S o M.

Called in at the cash and carry open to the public on the way home. Bought two cartons of Pomegranet juice for 50p each. I dilute this so get double drinks out of it.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    • fingersxed
    • By fingersxed 5th Feb 11, 6:24 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 2,664 Thanks
    fingersxed
    Hi Everybody

Just to cheer u all up and make u feel beta about ur selfs I have spent nearly halh my monthly budget already

I have had a ride out to costco. Stocked up on meat, cooking ingredients and cleaning stuff. Some of this SHOULD LAST several months? or so I'm hoping.

I will really have to watch my step for the next 23 days!!! Do feel nicely stocked up now. Plenty of meat in freezer, biggest part of cooking/bakin ingredients. Should in THEORY only need fresh fruit n veg, bread n milk. Oh and abit of beer. Haha

Hope you all doin beta than me. Have a gd weekend
    • becky170
    • By becky170 5th Feb 11, 6:39 PM
    • 562 Posts
    • 4,433 Thanks
    becky170
    Oops, during the week I've managed to spend 12 on little trips to the shop Although that did include 4 spent on a box of chocolate Must try better this week!
    MFW 2019 #7 1377/1615
    • freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 5th Feb 11, 7:07 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre
    4.88 spent today in Lidl - one bottle of olive oil, 2 x packs of diced pork and 2 x bags of crisps.

I do need to go to Tesco on Monday as need tomatoes, potatoes and watercress for next weeks meals. Also, need some hairspray, but not for meals I will try my hardest not to buy anything else! I'm going to do a freezer list again one day next week then do a meal plan for the rest of the month
    Grocery challenge - Nov: 52/100
  • karmachilovething
    Spends to declare:
    12 on another veg box yesterday
    1.86 in @sda on some peppers and spring onions
    1.97 on some streaky bacon from the butchers

Hmm thinks this is getting my close to the full 70. I was beginning to feel it was not a realistic target for me, but we will see how I go.

Off to update sig.
    Total debt: 9473.62 7,384.87 22% PAID
    TAF #25 NSD 8/12 | Food 43.45/50 | eBay 0/20 | Exercise 5/18
    Proud to be Dealing with my Debt
    DFD: June 2015
  • Long tall sally
    we are having roast turkey tomorrow that was reduced at xmas...might do the last christmas pudding for afters....hopefully we should have leftovers of the turkey for a few packups next week
    Originally posted by tessie bear
    Yes me too tessie. It is a really huge one bought a couple of weeks ago at a very cheap price from the Co Op. It is cooking as I type! Hope you enjoy yours.
    Grocery aim 450pm.Spent 519 August, 584 July, 544 June, 541 May, 549 April, 517 March, 517 Feb,555 Jan, 573 Dec, 465Nov, 561Oct, 493Sept, 426Aug,496 Jul, 528Jun, 506May,498April, 558 March, 500Feb, 500 Jan, 490 Dec, 555 Nov,566 Oct, 505Sept, 450Aug, 410 July, 437 June, 491 May, 471 April, 440 March, 552Feb, 462Jan
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

364Posts Today

4,738Users online

Martin's Twitter