Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge 24th Jan 11 at 3:50 PM
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the second Grocery Challenge of 2011

This is my first time starting the thread so EEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK! It's a bit scary.

Pink, you're not going to shout at me are you? Just thought I would have try to help you out and have a bash at it myself this month. Credit where it's due Pink - this thing has pickled me brain!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your January budget, then keep on posting in the January 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month. Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 28-01-2011 at 8:44 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 30
  • cat_smith
    Failed on the NSD. Had to pop to local shop for Dog treats. Otherwise he sulks. They'd run out of Dentasticks so he's got Schmackos. I refuse to get the car out to go to Mr T just for him and I've worked out I can get through to Monday with what I have when I'd have to take the car out anyway.
    GC Mar 13 47.36/150
  • Long tall sally
    Small spend today of 2.60 on milk & cobs.
    Grocery aim 450pm.Spent 519 August, 584 July, 544 June, 541 May, 549 April, 517 March, 517 Feb,555 Jan, 573 Dec, 465Nov, 561Oct, 493Sept, 426Aug,496 Jul, 528Jun, 506May,498April, 558 March, 500Feb, 500 Jan, 490 Dec, 555 Nov,566 Oct, 505Sept, 450Aug, 410 July, 437 June, 491 May, 471 April, 440 March, 552Feb, 462Jan
    • fedupandskint
    • By fedupandskint 5th Feb 11, 11:30 AM
    • 10,351 Posts
    • 97,525 Thanks
    fedupandskint
    14 spent in Mr S today for this week's groceries. Off to do some baking for tomorrow - scones and coffe and walnut cake
    final unsecured debt to repay currently 8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 5th Feb 11, 11:34 AM
    • 513 Posts
    • 8,701 Thanks
    minnie2
    Pink or zippy usually start a new thread on the 28th of the current month but as Feb is a short month they may start the march thread earlier; maybe keep an eye out from about the 25th Feb.

They usually post on the current thread to let us know when the new thread is up and running
    Originally posted by rosieben

thank you!
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • jackieglasgow
    Urgh. I have just done an online Mysupermarket shop which has come to 119.21 - I now have to persuade my OH to trudge round the shops getting the cheapest items from the cheapest stores (has to go to 2 different ones anyway as Tesco don't stock a couple of things I get in Asda and vice versa) I am not fit for it at the moment. I reckon if he sticks to the lists it will total about 92 all in, which is my first supermarket shop for about a fortnight, and includes replenishing a lot of my herbs and spices. Hey ho, that should be the entire shop for the month though, barring and milk and fresh meat purchases for that lot! Oops just remembered I didn't put soap powder on the list
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • WelshWoofer
    Well, the shopping came to 37 so it could have been worse I suppose?
    That did include laundry stuff and some cleaning bits and pieces and some sweets for tonight (staying in) and all the food we need for the week other than some milk.
    I usually spend about 50 so I did just get the essentials this week.
    Roll on payday!

Poo! - Just realised that I forgot Bisto gravy so will send OH to the shop for that tomorrow and hopefully he'll pay!
    January grocery spending - 82.73/ 120
  • Candy Belle
    Afternoon All!

Helen - Thinking of you at this difficult time x

Did a weekly shop last night at A**i, had fun packing the shopping bags as left them in the car so had one foot on the trolley as it soooo windy here and it was trying to make a break for freedom!, trying to keep the bags open and in my hand whilst packing my shopping! DH was in the car listening to talk sports and couldn't see me struggling as the boot was open restricting his view!! L A Z Y G I T!!

Anyway nipped into sainsbugs on the way home for a few bits, got in the house (me carrying 3 bags, DH carrying toliet roll and eggs!) DH then cuts a slice of fruit cake scoffs it whilst I'm unpacking and putting away!!! Hmmm! His excuse "me soo hungee and theres not much to put away!"

Sorry rant over! Thank you for letting me vent to you guys xx

Oops sorry best tell you how much I spent

Sainsbugs 8.93 - Lemonade, Clover, Fishcakes, Bread, Chives, 3x6pks Walkers crisps (DH keeping walkers in business!!)

A**i - 22.08 - Oven Chips, Wine, Milk, Cranberry Juice, Probiotic Drinks, Mushrooms, Tomatoes, Cheese Triangles, Ham, Bananas, Rocket, Grapes, Cookies, Cereal Bars, Apples, More Crisps, Eggs and Toblerone! Phew!!

Hope everyone has a fab weekend xx
    Grocery Challange for DH, Me & 2 Fussy Cats (inc Grocerys, Cleaning Products & Cat Food)
    G/C -May 177.04/235.00 Apr 237.79/235.00 Mar 226.16 /235.00
    G/C - Jan 248.52/235.00 - Feb214.72/235.00
    NSD -May 3/31 Apr 10/30 Mar 3/31 Feb 6/28 NSD Jan 3/31
    • prophecy_grrl
    • By prophecy_grrl 5th Feb 11, 1:04 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 3,379 Thanks
    prophecy_grrl
    Went to Mr T's today and spent 10.51, am still within budget and estimate I will spend anouthr 25 ish by this time next week.

I have a HUGE pot of corned beef stew on the hob (using up all the floppy parsnips and carrots and onions) and am going to make carrot and chickpea curry to freeze this afternoon. Am also going to make a Quorn bolognese and Quorn chilli to freeze tomorrow.

Right, off to meal plan my week!
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
    • fedupandskint
    • By fedupandskint 5th Feb 11, 1:13 PM
    • 10,351 Posts
    • 97,525 Thanks
    fedupandskint
    Sounds nice prophecy grrl!

I have a tin of corned beef I don't know what to do with - could you pass on your recipe for the stew to chuck my floppy veg into? Ta
    final unsecured debt to repay currently 8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
  • cat_smith
    I LOVE my new meat slicer. Did a roast last night. Would normally have got a couple of sandwiches out of the leftovers. Think I've got enough for about 3 days from this. I'm going to try and get a gammon to cook and see how that does. It's so much cheaper than buying the sliced stuff.

OK. Off to watch rugby. Go Scotland.
    GC Mar 13 47.36/150
    • prophecy_grrl
    • By prophecy_grrl 5th Feb 11, 1:38 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 3,379 Thanks
    prophecy_grrl
    Corned beef stew:
    6 x floppy carrots
    6 x small floppy parnsips
    2 HUGE spuds
    4 small wrinkly onions
    Tin corned beef
    3 x veg stock cubs
    2 tbsp mixed herbs
    Water

Chop all the veg into small pieces and put into a big pot
    Add water - I don't measure but I would guess maybe 2-3 litres?
    Add stock cubes and mixed herbs
    Bring to boil & simmer for 20 mins ish
    Chop corned beef into cm ish cubes and add to pot
    Simmer for 1 hour ish

I don't add salt or pepper but I suppose you could to taste. We eat ours with part baked rolls and butter... Mmmm can't wait for DH to get home now to tuck in!!!
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
    • pepsi-kins
    • By pepsi-kins 5th Feb 11, 2:05 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 1,984 Thanks
    pepsi-kins
    Hi All,
    Spent quite a lot already this month 93.96 to be exact, but I can't buy anything else, other than fresh stuff because I have literally no room at all in freezers or cupboards. I bought quite a lot of fish, which was on offers in sainsbugs, because we really don't eat very much fish at all, and I'd like to have more of this in our diet.

I'm having a lazy Saturday afternoon, making marmalade and watching rubbish on t.v - lovely

Take care everyone, and my thoughts are with all those having a rubbish time at the mo x
    2018 G/C 2951.61/2250
    Vouchers used 553.23
    Extra money 250
    2019 G/C 1561.72
    Vouchers: 138.40
  • lolly101
    Hi Everyone,

Just logging in my spends before I forget! I really must find time to catch up on the thread but it just moves so quickly!

I spent 1.29 in Farmfoods, 2.14 in Boots (I actually spent quite a bit more than that, but paid for the rest with my points so I'm not counting it), and 12.70 in Morrisons. I think that comes to 16.13, so I've now spent 39.56/200.
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 5th Feb 11, 2:24 PM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 12,887 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    This week we have only spent 4.79, this includes drinks for everyone at the soft play where we went for a friends birthday and 2 pizzas from L!dl, normally we make our own but we had been to a workshop at the Art Gallery and ended up getting home about 2 and half hours later than I anticipated and I had no idea what to cook, it ended up very health as we had a huge salad with it.
    • Spiggle
    • By Spiggle 5th Feb 11, 2:38 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 14,202 Thanks
    Spiggle
    Hi All,

We've been to town and got the things we need. I hadn't calculated buying the cat food but OH is not sure it'll last 'til next weekend and so we got it a week early just in case. I think the VAT rise has affected it as it's gone from 31.99 in December to 32.50 today. Nevertheless, it's great we are getting the larger sacks which are reducing the overall cost per annum and it's a local independent so I'm willing to pay a or so more to support them.

Also visited the butchers where we spent 9.47 and grocers spend was 2.92. (OH has already got a lovely smelling casserole on the go for tomorrow. ) Total spend today then was 44.89. The sig is all updated.

I'm having what is left of the hm pizza today. Why haven't we done this before!?!?! I definitely won't be buying frozen again, they are delish!

Had one heck of a hangover this morning as me and a friend managed to drink two bottles of wine with the game last night. She was celebrating and I was drowning my sorrows!

My veggie seeds turned up this morning so I'm all excited. We're having to resort to getting someone in to dig over the garden now as putting that much stress on OH's joints after the accident would not be a good thing. I'll be able to dig and maintain once it's intially done but my hands (arthritis) would just crack if I tried deturfing and double digging it all! I'm going to go out in a minute and see if I can do a bit more cutting back in preparation. Although, saying that, it seems to be getting very dark outside my window so it may be about to rain which will put the kaibosh (sp?) on it.

Anyway, I'm off to do something!

Have a great weekend everyone and keep up the brilliant work.

Take care,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013
    • laineyc
    • By laineyc 5th Feb 11, 2:53 PM
    • 907 Posts
    • 5,215 Thanks
    laineyc
    Spent too much today on a trip to Lidl. (Maybe new trolley wasn't such a good idea since I can transport more) I was way off setting my target this month. But I have stocked up and I know what is in my cupboards so thats progress. I am going to do another on-line meat order in March and start getting a fruit and veg box delivered. Then I will order one online supermarket shop for the month and then only weekly top ups of bread and milk. I am hoping this works.
    GC 2011 Feb 626.89/450 NSD3/7 March 531.26/450 April 495.99/500 NSD 0/7 May 502.79/500
    June 511.99/480 July 311.56/480
  • elfen
    35.62 spend for us today....giving us about 90 for the rest of the month....easily doable
    ** Total debt: 6950.82 May NSDs 1/10 **
    ** Fat Bum Shrinking: -7/56lbs **
    **SPC 2012 #1498 -152 and 1499 ***
    I do it all because I'm scared.
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 5th Feb 11, 3:14 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 8,701 Thanks
    minnie2
    hi where do i go for recipes? would like to make/create some new dishes as i seem to do the same old thing!! and any suggestions about what to do with mince pork or turkey please let me know! i do savoury mince and chilli con carne and bolognese etc.
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • helen jelly
    hi where do i go for recipes? would like to make/create some new dishes as i seem to do the same old thing!! and any suggestions about what to do with mince pork or turkey please let me know! i do savoury mince and chilli con carne and bolognese etc.
    Originally posted by minnie2
    Hi
    Have you checked out the lovely recipes that Rosieben posts on Page 1 - there are hundreds on there and she has listed them in meal type order, just scroll down the page till you find a meal and then click on it to get the recipe - simples!! HTH

Helen
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
  • Mothership
    The leg of lamb was delicious last night, DD1 went home with the leftovers for her boyfriend and she's going to make a curry with the rest.
    Didn't make the Tart Tatin, she had made her dad a lovely birthday cake, so we had that instead.

Very pleased the freezer stock is going down, making room for the Donald Russell delivery on the 24th. Got another sitting in the basket but cant take delivery of that till the end of March. The good thing is its forcing me to use up what's in the freezers. There's two drawers full of M+S goodies from the Jan voucher promo. And two drawers full of Donald Russell prime meat. By the end of March Both freezers should have enough meat products to do 6-9 months 12 months with some , the DR meats have use by June 2012.

I'm making home made sweet and sour tonight, I make a batter then throw the chicken in and deep fry, its a lot nicer that any you get from a takeaway, the chicken balls are not oily, ( I think they have them partly cooked and fry them again to order).
    I usually just throw the ingredients in without measuring. DD1+2 want to learn how to make it, so I will be carefully measuring the ingredients when I cook it tonight then post it for you.
    You will love it, battering the chicken makes it go a looooooooong way.
    and its sooooooo easy and quick to make.

My thoughts are with you Helen.
    1st Purse 114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse 100
    Fridge Freezer 300 3rd Purse /290.94
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,176Posts Today

4,184Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Oh if only one were brave/honest enough to say "my mental health" - in answer to the weakness question. I say this? https://t.co/RyihpzwPdY

• Been out with the little one, just got back and turned the #c4debate on. What have i missed? Who is winning?

• It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Follow Martin