Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge 24th Jan 11 at 3:50 PM
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the second Grocery Challenge of 2011

This is my first time starting the thread so EEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK! It's a bit scary.

Pink, you're not going to shout at me are you? Just thought I would have try to help you out and have a bash at it myself this month. Credit where it's due Pink - this thing has pickled me brain!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your January budget, then keep on posting in the January 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month. Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 28-01-2011 at 8:44 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 29
  • helen jelly
    Hi Everyone
    Just wanted to pop on and say a massive thank you for all your messages, thoughts and prayers - its a real help to see people caring and also, coming onto here and spending some "chill time" reading the posts helps too as it relaxs the mind!!

Thank you everyone

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
  • janie-h
    Hi All

Helen, I am so sorry for your sad loss x

Bit late arriving on the Feb thread, but can I aim for 250.00 again this month please.

First spend yesterday in T**o Xpress, just opened opposite Dr's... popped in and loads of reduced goodies. So, 2.35 on cream cakes and brownies

Will update siggy - and start diet next week!
  • martafdz
    No spend day today, don't need anything. Still eating reduced price out of date veg I got a week ago from Tes&co. Sprouts every day.
    Ilona
    Originally posted by Ilona
    I bought a bag of 1Kg after Christmas because they were reduced. I had them every now and then but they started to go black and a bit wet-green kind of sprout. I used a knife to take out the bad leaves and the black roots. Underneath all that ugly stuff there were perfect and still amazing little sprouts, so that means we had sprouts in every Sunday dinner for January, all from the same batch A couple of months ago I would have thrown them, they were mainly brown-black in the outside and some leaves had turned a bit slimey iykwim. I was surprised to find perfect very light green and compact sprouts underneath that. No difference in the taste at all.

I lost a quote but thanks for the comment on my "it's like a diet" comparison
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • maryarm
    mrsmcawber i love the sound of your "trumpy soup" do you have a recipe for that?

Sealed pot challenge #310
    • Gigglepig
    • By Gigglepig 4th Feb 11, 10:46 PM
    • 1,212 Posts
    • 3,789 Thanks
    Gigglepig
    Hello everyone,

I'm a bit late, but since it is my first grocery challenge I thought it would be good to try a short month hehe. Can you add Gigglepig for 250 for February please? Thanks!

This challenge looks pretty useful to me, although I have tried to be good I have already spent 33.10 and it is only the 4th today.
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 5th Feb 11, 6:35 AM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 58,661 Thanks
    sistercas
    [QUOTE=martafdz;40916622]I bought a bag of 1Kg after Christmas because they were reduced. I had them every now and then but they started to go black and a bit wet-green kind of sprout. I used a knife to take out the bad leaves and the black roots. Underneath all that ugly stuff there were perfect and still amazing little sprouts, so that means we had sprouts in every Sunday dinner for January, all from the same batch A couple of months ago I would have thrown them, they were mainly brown-black in the outside and some leaves had turned a bit slimey iykwim. I was surprised to find perfect very light green and compact sprouts underneath that. No difference in the taste at all.

dont think i would have had the patience to peel through to the good bit,well done , I bought a couple of bags of reduced sprouts after xmas. I blanched them and froze them in portion sizes and we are still eating them , i love sprouts

will pop into l!dl today as i need cucumbers and carrots for the guinea pigs
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 5th Feb 11, 7:22 AM
    • 3,346 Posts
    • 34,469 Thanks
    XSpender
    Another topic: does anyone use the 'cash back sites'? How do you feel about the companies that offer a large payment (20-40) for taking a free month (you must remember to cancel) trial. I haven't tried these yet as feel a bit guilty as I have no intention of continuing after the original period. On the other hand why not if they offer?
    Originally posted by gdyr1945
    I use T0p Cash Back and have made about 200 in the last 10 months from cashback and I don't buy a lot on line as I am out of work at the moment so not much spare cash. I have taken the free trials from cred1t expert and L0ve film both have been hassle free and paid the cash back pretty quickly. 15 for one and about 18 for the other I think when I did them.

Spent 9.26 on a tub of formula and some dishwasher salt last night in Mr S. Very annoyed with myself too. Bought 2 bottles of wine for DH, one for last night and one for next week as they were 2 for a tenner. Didn't check my reciept as we were in a rush and they have gone through as 8.99 and 6.29 I would have taken them back but the cheaper one has been drunk It really annoys me the way sm are so crafty in displaying offers and labelling items so that they appear to be on offer and are not. I know it is up to me to check but I am sure they do it on purpose to catch people out

ETA: DMIL gave us 2 packets of R1ngtons yummy biscuits yesterday. They best go in the August holiday box or I will have eaten them by monday
    Last edited by XSpender; 05-02-2011 at 7:31 AM. Reason: Forgot something
    • Pinwheel
    • By Pinwheel 5th Feb 11, 7:44 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 1,138 Thanks
    Pinwheel
    Hi I've just updated my signature, only a couple of small spends this week. 1.00 on milk in L**l, and 3.35 on eggs and a couple of other bits in Sai***urys. I have made a shopping list for what we need next week and will be going to L**l today. I've got the slow cooker on with lentil soup in it for lunch and we're having HM pizza for tea.

Have a good day everyone
    PW
    x
    Last edited by Pinwheel; 05-02-2011 at 7:47 AM.
    Oct GC 36.72/220.00
    Sep GC 223.58/220.00
    Aug GC 200/200
    Jun GC 192.73/220 - Jul GC 296.88/220
    Apr GC 230.40/200 - May GC 230.40/220 -
    Feb GC 200.19/200 - Mar GC 203.37/200 -
  • MRSMCAWBER
    12 speed soup recipe -slimming world
    Morning all -
    Here you go Maryarm -this is my version of the 12 speed soup, mine is more of a stew as I leave everything in big chunks and you can adapt to use up odds n sods you have lurking
    12 speed/trumpy soup -and if you go on the SW thread its also called "dyno rod soup"
    1. 1 tin tomatoes
    2. 1 box passata
    3. 1 large tin green lentils -or a couple of hands of dried
    4. 1 large tin of cannelini beans
    5. 1 tin red kidney beans
    6. 1 jar/tin carrots
    7. 500g frozen peppers
    8. 2 onions -chopped
    9. 1 tin baked beans
    10. 4 parsnips -peeled n chopped
    11. 1 tin peas -garden are my fave
    12. 2 veg oxo
    13. seasoning
    I simply throw everything into a VERY big pan and cover with a lid and cook until tender -it sounds a bit *eeew* but Im addicted and now have hubby the same . ooh if you use fresh peppers instead of frozen you may need to add a tiny drop of water...
    You may want to half the quantities for your first batch as mine made about 4lt last time -but I know we can get through that as I would happily eat it for every lunch
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • funnyflipp
    Morning all, 25.00 at the butchers yesterday for the Sunday roast and some cheap cuts, they will be in the slow cooker for mid week xx
    112121.02 10 Years and counting!
    Target in 2011 22K /10646.97 DFD Feb 2017
    42Lbs /23 Down 19 to go!
    So now I just need to keep going!
    Nearly half way through the year and I'm still here
  • LondonDreamer
    Good morning. First venture to the supermarket this month, 42.91 spent in total. More than I would have liked to spend, but it did include some toiletries which were on special offer that I would normally buy in Boots out of a separate budget and some stationery items. So actual food spend was 32.82. This also included ingredients for an edible present which I'm off to make now, but I won't deduct that since it is food and I'm hoping they'll share.
  • WelshWoofer
    Morning all!
    Trying to summon the ooomph to go to the supermarket in the monsoon we currently have up north. Not good!

I have written a list and a meal plan and HAVE to keep the spending as low as I can - the funeral and all it entails has ruined my plans financially this month.

Not keen on going as its pouring but perhaps that will mean it will be quiet? Will report back with the damage later
    January grocery spending - 82.73/ 120
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 5th Feb 11, 9:24 AM
    • 513 Posts
    • 8,701 Thanks
    minnie2
    ok so i think ive finally caught up!!!!! Does anyone know roughly when the march thread will be up and running? then ill be much more on the ball.

So sorry for your loss Helen!! I lost someone last month - so so hard!

And to all of you who are having a hard time in one way or another - stay strong and ride the waves we are all here for you,last month was so so hard for me financially and emotionally but i have come out the otherside thanks to all you wonderful people!

Having a rough start to the month - hubbys car has died so we have been thrown into one car situation too early and are not prepared! But im sure we will have to bumble our way through - not sure what we are going to do with the car though no point spending money on it to get it started as we planned to get rid of it in 3weeks and we buy any car we will end up paying tehm!

11.16 spend so far this month on groceries.May take stock of what weve got and then stock up on tins etc i need to get on top of work lunches again too!
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • seductivesmile
    Having a rough start to the month - hubbys car has died so we have been thrown into one car situation too early and are not prepared! But im sure we will have to bumble our way through - not sure what we are going to do with the car !
    Originally posted by minnie2
    Do you have a local scrap yard? look thru your local papers as dad got someone to pay 100 for his broken banger and the collected it!

HTH

SS
    Each day is a new beginning, look at what you have an be grateful for every tiny thing. You don't know when it may be taken away.
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 5th Feb 11, 10:18 AM
    • 513 Posts
    • 8,701 Thanks
    minnie2
    around here you have to pay 65 for them to take your car for scrap - have thought about freecycle but that was when it actually worked!!
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
    • Spiggle
    • By Spiggle 5th Feb 11, 10:33 AM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 14,202 Thanks
    Spiggle
    ... Another topic: does anyone use the 'cash back sites'? How do you feel about the companies that offer a large payment (20-40) for taking a free month (you must remember to cancel) trial. I haven't tried these yet as feel a bit guilty as I have no intention of continuing after the original period. On the other hand why not if they offer? ...
    Originally posted by gdyr1945
    Hi gdyr,

I've used Quidco for the past year and have earned over 400 from them. I haven't yet used the sign up then cancel offers but if they're offering then go for it. The important thing is to remember and ensure you cancel at the right time. Hope that helps.

Take care all,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013
    • Mrs Money Penny
    • By Mrs Money Penny 5th Feb 11, 10:51 AM
    • 728 Posts
    • 6,332 Thanks
    Mrs Money Penny
    Good morning everyone Just back from MrS and have spent 61.31 quite alot seeing I'm on my own in the week and have a freezer stuffed with food. Do have 2 teenagers with me a the weekend so did get some treats for them. Have a good weekend.
    MFIT Challenge save 40k
    48828.05/46842.89/-1985.16Mortgage neutral 03/19
  • adelight
    I've done quite a few little shops this month but have lost most of my receipts!!
    I can remember 73p at tesco on soy milk, 1.48 on museli bars & tinned toms at Lidl, but can't remember what I spent at Sainsburys!
    Flour, tea bags, soy milk, chicken liver, pasta, honey, soy yoghurts, dried butter beans and biscuits. I'm thinking ~7.50 but could be a quid either way
    Living cheap in central London
  • rosieben
    ok so i think ive finally caught up!!!!! Does anyone know roughly when the march thread will be up and running? then ill be much more on the ball. ...
    Originally posted by minnie2
    Pink or zippy usually start a new thread on the 28th of the current month but as Feb is a short month they may start the march thread earlier; maybe keep an eye out from about the 25th Feb.

They usually post on the current thread to let us know when the new thread is up and running
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • DansMum
    Scrap yards in my area are paying at least 170 for a dead car Thats gone up in 18 months as I took my last dead one there and got 100 for it - only cost me 250

Reporting first spend on Thursday of 37.40 Got a big load of ground almonds, fruit and veg from the fruit and veg stall and some bits from T*sco... But when I got home I made a nut roast (11 meals) low carb choc nut muffins (8 of) flapjacks and low carb cheesecake (8 servings) so pretty happy
    MFW 2011 No. 161 946.54/2000 Target
    April 9/15 March 14/15 Feb NSD 15/14
    April GC 121.00/130 March GC 127.60/150
    I Love my Furbabies
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

946Posts Today

7,318Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Morning. I'm on way to @thismorning to talk a subject I've been planning a while - financial abuse (a form of domes? https://t.co/HVIOhjZOf2

• RT @steve_ej: @MartinSLewis I like all of the comments about privacy, and I bet most people concerned about privacy also have a smartphone.?

• Today's Twitter Poll: Do you have a Smart speaker, and if so what brand?

• Follow Martin