Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Penelope
    Real life MMD: Should I pay extra for Sky?
    • 4th Feb 11, 1:16 PM
    Real life MMD: Should I pay extra for Sky? 4th Feb 11 at 1:16 PM
    Please give this MoneySaver the benefit of your advice...

Should I pay the extra for Sky?

I live with 2 housemates and we all chip in paying for Sky TV in the lounge. They also pay an extra 10/mth each to get it in their bedrooms. Microsoft have now added Sky to the Xbox, which you can pay 10/mth for, but it's free if you’re already a Sky multiroom subscriber. As my housemates pay for multiroom, I can benefit from the deal. They don’t think that’s fair, yet I already have to pay 40 a year for Xbox Gold membership. Should I pay extra?

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 08-02-2011 at 6:12 PM.
Page 1
  • Clareeee
    • 8th Feb 11, 10:51 PM
    Share the cost
    • 8th Feb 11, 10:51 PM
    If your XBox membership is personal to you (only you do or can use it) then I think you should share the cost of the entire 20 per month of the other two house mates' multiroom between the 3 of you as you are all benefiting equally from the "multiroom" but your XBox thing is yours and yours only.

If your XBox membership is used by your other housemates as well as you then you might want to talk about sharing the cost of everything equally.
    • groovygav
    • By groovygav 8th Feb 11, 11:12 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    groovygav
    • 8th Feb 11, 11:12 PM
    • 8th Feb 11, 11:12 PM
    Sounds like you can only get this freebie because of your friends' subscriptions, so it would be fair to make a contribution.
    • jax1305
    • By jax1305 8th Feb 11, 11:28 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    jax1305
    • 8th Feb 11, 11:28 PM
    • 8th Feb 11, 11:28 PM
    so you pay 40 per year, they pay 120 per year each. but you can only upgrade because they pay - why not add together the total outgoings - 280 and split it between you - 93.33 each. unless you get something extra special for your gold membership that they don't benefit from - in which case to be fair you should pay more than them. you can only benefit because of their multiroom sub - without that you'd have to pay more anyway.
    • billbennett
    • By billbennett 8th Feb 11, 11:34 PM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 1,623 Thanks
    billbennett
    • 8th Feb 11, 11:34 PM
    • 8th Feb 11, 11:34 PM
    Why tell them in the first place?
    In "Monopoly", what makes the "Super Tax" so super?
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 8th Feb 11, 11:41 PM
    • 7,566 Posts
    • 51,987 Thanks
    kerri gt
    • 8th Feb 11, 11:41 PM
    • 8th Feb 11, 11:41 PM
    If you are the only person who uses the Xbox, then they do not benefit from your Gold Membership so why not split the 20 multiroom between the three of you - that's 6.70 each per month. You could argue that you won't watch Sky in your room, but I expect you probably will if it's available. I am sure you could save that elsewhere a month (grocery shop etc) and it could be worth the extra, esp as it's due to them having multiroom that you also get Sky in your room.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• eurovision_fan
    • By eurovision_fan 9th Feb 11, 3:24 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    eurovision_fan
    • 9th Feb 11, 3:24 AM
    • 9th Feb 11, 3:24 AM
    I agree with Clareee, i would consider splitting the 20 sub charge between the three of you 6.67 each - i'm sure your flatmates wouldn't mind having to pay less to get the same deal, otherwise what the point adding an extra 10 for the system.
    If they don't want to share you could always pull your funding for the Sky TV in the lounge as well and just pay the 10 to have it in your room.
    Wins so far 2015:
    15 Beefeater Vouchers
    • Saetana
    • By Saetana 9th Feb 11, 3:42 AM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 2,273 Thanks
    Saetana
    • 9th Feb 11, 3:42 AM
    • 9th Feb 11, 3:42 AM
    Yes, I would say the fairest solution here is to split the 20 cost for Sky in the extra rooms between the 3 of you. The fact that you pay 40 per year for X-Box Gold is completely irrelevant, it would only be relevant if the Sky/X-Box service was completely free regardless of whether or not your household pay for Multiroom and this is obviously not the case. You would have to pay an extra 10 per month to get this service if it was not for the fact that your friends are already paying this sum to have Sky in their own rooms so it seems fair enough that they pay a little less and you pay your 6.67 share of the 20, its hardly a large amount of money to pay out on a monthly basis.

As someone mentioned earlier, you could of course be economical with the truth and not mention this to your housemates (assuming they don't already know), that is down to you and your conscience I would say.
    2018 Wins: 160 Boots, 267 Vouchers, 15 Survey Credit, 120 Cash, 5 Scratchcards, DVD Player, 2 Beanie Hats, 8 T-Shirts, 10 Books, Silver Necklace/Earrings, Fitnesswear, Toiletries/Perfume/Skincare, Costume Jewellery, Chocolate, Mars Milk, Beer, Rum
  • bennett2kuk
    • 9th Feb 11, 8:23 AM
    • 9th Feb 11, 8:23 AM
    Tough, you are making use of a free service where theirs' costs money. I wouldn't start subsidising other people's services. They should consider getting an Xbox too if they're that bothered. That being said I wouldn't be happy leaving the Xbox on for hours and hours on end just to watch TV. Even with the improvements they've made to the hardware you're still looking at red light city. And I know what I';m talking about having taken receipt of my 6th Xbox recently.
    • gaily
    • By gaily 9th Feb 11, 8:43 AM
    • 188 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    gaily
    If they are paying to get a benefit, that you can then tag onto, my view would be to split the cost.

You'd lose out if they decided to cancel multiroom, and you'd have to pay 10 extra if you wanted multiroom in your own room, rather than the Xbox facility. If you get on with them, and want harmony in the house (and sometimes in a houseshare, there's bigger things to argue about than 10 - like who's turn it is to clean the bathroom) then split it.

As another poster said, split the 20 3 ways, then it's 6.50 odd. What's that - 2 pints down the pub? surely that a month is worth peace in the house????
    Always on the hunt for a bargain. :rolleyes:

Always grateful for any hints, tips or guidance as to where the best deals are
    • minerva_windsong
    • By minerva_windsong 9th Feb 11, 9:35 AM
    • 3,765 Posts
    • 8,672 Thanks
    minerva_windsong
    I agree with everyone else and say split the 20 three ways.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Married my best friend 1st November 2014

Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • mbetz
    I saw this in the weekly MSE e-mail, and thought I should point out that you don't have to be a multi-room subscriber to get the sky player on xbox live. The reason I know this is the case is because I am not a multi-room subsciber but have no problem getting it on my xbox. When it first launched, you had to have multi-room, but this changed after a couple of months, presumably after a bit of a backlash.

To be honest, unless you subscribe to the Sports or Movie packages you're not really missing out on much. The channel choice is limited, and a lot of American imports aren't streamed live (due to rights issues).
  • Crazysprog
    Sky subscription
    From what you say, the X-box Gold membership is for you, and payment of that is not shared between you and your housemates. But also given you would not have the option to watch Sky on your X-box if it wasn't for your housemates having the multiroom subscription. So to be fair divide the multiroom subscription between you and your house mates (20 by 3 equals 6.67). Then everyone's happy.
    • killick_becki
    • By killick_becki 9th Feb 11, 10:45 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    killick_becki
    If you would buy the 10 a month to have it on your xbox if they didn't already have multiroom then you should contribute. If you wouldn't pay the extra for it then you shouldn't need to contribute as you wouldn't use it if you had to pay for it.
  • DPMW1987
    If you have sky Broadband the Xbox sky is also free so that would be in your orignal Sky package, If not i would just pay 10 a month like the other 2 get a free sky box and all the chanels, Xbox only has 30 channels that you can watch and a few on demand programs.
    • DrScotsman
    • By DrScotsman 9th Feb 11, 11:01 AM
    • 980 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    DrScotsman
    If the OP honestly wouldn't have paid for Sky Multiroom if he couldn't get it for free, then I don't think he should pay.

Let's say OP happily takes the bus (with a paid-for bus pass) to work every day, and then one day the two housemates book a taxi for themselves, with the unintended effect that there's a seat spare. Let's say the OP says "I'm fine with the bus, I'm not chipping in for the taxi". You COULD make him take the bus on principle, but you wouldn't - you'd not be an !!! and let him share the taxi for free.

This is the same thing. The two housemates have paid for multiroom and an unintended result is that Sky on Xbox is available. The OP could say "I'm fine with not having Sky on my Xbox, I'm not going to chip in". The roommates could of course not give him the Sky on principle, but it'd make much more sense to just let him have it for free.

This of course assumes that the OP is in fact honest and isn't just playing the game
  • cwilso
    Hi Just thought I would reply saying that I don't think the OP should pay.
    He wasn't paying for sky multi-room before so he clearly didn't want it.
    A perk of having sky and an Xbox Live Gold subscription is that you get Skyplayer on the Xbox for free. You get on demand shows from your sky package for free.
    There is no mention of sky multi-room so even if his two house-mates cancelled their multi-room he would still get Sky on his Xbox for Free.
    So why pay for someone else's service when yours is free anyway?
    • A.Jones
    • By A.Jones 9th Feb 11, 11:30 AM
    • 506 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    A.Jones
    If the OP honestly wouldn't have paid for Sky Multiroom if he couldn't get it for free, then I don't think he should pay.

Let's say OP happily takes the bus (with a paid-for bus pass) to work every day, and then one day the two housemates book a taxi for themselves, with the unintended effect that there's a seat spare. Let's say the OP says "I'm fine with the bus, I'm not chipping in for the taxi". You COULD make him take the bus on principle, but you wouldn't - you'd not be an !!! and let him share the taxi for free.

This is the same thing. The two housemates have paid for multiroom and an unintended result is that Sky on Xbox is available. The OP could say "I'm fine with not having Sky on my Xbox, I'm not going to chip in". The roommates could of course not give him the Sky on principle, but it'd make much more sense to just let him have it for free.

This of course assumes that the OP is in fact honest and isn't just playing the game
    Originally posted by DrScotsman

TBH I wouldn't let the bus user get the taxi ride for free. If he wants to use the taxi, then he should pay his share. Otherwise, he can use the bus. If he gets a free ride, then he learns that he can always get the taxi for free in future.

Another analogy would be if two friends rent a holiday cottage for a week for a fixed price, and there is a spare room. Someone else asks if they could use it. Should they expect to stay in the spare room for free, because the others are already paying for the cottage, or should they pay a share towards the cost.
  • fluffels
    The Xbox Live subscription is personal, and shouldn't be split. The Multiroom is, and should.

HOWEVER, I'd say that you should pay less than they do for said multiroom because with the Xbox you'll get far less in the way of channels. I had a 'month trial card' of Xbox/Sky Player late last year. It cost 5, and included all the Sky Sports channels.

...I still didn't think it was worth it - especially the way it sometimes alludes towards standard definition and can't even hold a candle to the quality of the iPlayer (in non-HD) on a bad iPlayer day. My flatmate, an avid sports fan, couldn't bring himself to watch it. It's dependent on your internet connection and ours is fantastic - why it was quite so bad I'll never know.

My humble opinion is Sky Player on the Xbox isn't worth the money they ask - even at 5/month (I have no other Sky subscription). Your mileage may vary but try it out first before you commit to joining in and paying. There's only so much slightly blurry NatGeo you can watch
    • VT82
    • By VT82 9th Feb 11, 12:17 PM
    • 1,011 Posts
    • 855 Thanks
    VT82
    If Sky on Xbox isn't as good as Sky multiroom, you shouldn't pay any more I don't think.

If it IS, one of your housemates should cancel their multiroom and get an Xbox with gold membership. By saving 10 per month, this will be paid for in under 2 years, and once the saving has been recouped, it will only be 40 per year instead of 120 for the Sky, and they will have a free Xbox as well.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,945Posts Today

9,891Users online

Martin's Twitter