Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge 24th Jan 11 at 3:50 PM
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the second Grocery Challenge of 2011

This is my first time starting the thread so EEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK! It's a bit scary.

Pink, you're not going to shout at me are you? Just thought I would have try to help you out and have a bash at it myself this month. Credit where it's due Pink - this thing has pickled me brain!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your January budget, then keep on posting in the January 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month. Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 28-01-2011 at 8:44 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 24
  • cat_smith
    ChocClare can I have the recipe for the Sweet and Sour Sauce? I spend a fortune on Uncle Ben's.
    GC Mar 13 47.36/150
    • Billie-jo
    • By Billie-jo 3rd Feb 11, 4:54 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 15,892 Thanks
    Billie-jo
    GUNG HEI FAT CHOY - hope I got that right.

Te$co today and spent 26.07 - couldnt find any good reductions today
    Have got two of the grand children over the weekend so we will have a 'sort' of Chinese meal then. Going to do some egg fried rice, lemon chicken, beef, onions and broccoli and some salad as they love salad. One will want the chicken and the other will want the beef - typical. Will have to get a few bits for this on Saturday morning. Have also been told they want to make some jam and lemon curd tarts. They also want sausage, mash and veg for Sunday - all of this is in thankfully, so thats the weekend taken care of. We try to give them things they can help with as they both enjoy it and their mum doesnt have a lot of time to let them help, nor has she got a lot of patience either but thats another story!!!

Fish for tea tonight for us and I had better go and start it. Will update totals in a while and will catch up on the posts then.
    Good luck everyone with Feb's challenge.
    [COLOR="Purple"][B] MARCH 62.38/250 [B][COLOR="Purple"]
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 3rd Feb 11, 5:18 PM
    • 3,406 Posts
    • 34,882 Thanks
    XSpender
    I was out and about buying birthday presents, one of which was from Mr S so I decided to do my weekly shop a day early. Had to be Mr S this week cos I had 40 of vouchers. Spent 89 but this included 2 bottles of wine and 2 gifts not included in the GC. One was a rubic cube for DH birthday which was half price. He will be dead chuffed as he wore his last one out. I am hoping it will relieve a bit of stress for him too.

The shopping bit came to 65.83 but cost me 25.83 with my vouchers. I am going to count the whole amount in my total though as I am trying to learn to stick to a budget. Got a couple of treats for DH birthday, a month of snacks for DS (1/2 price), enough dog food for the month and stocked up on some other stuff. I have all but fresh stuff in to cover my meal plan for the next 2 weeks

I have a veg box and a fruit box coming tomorrow so I have included this in my total.

I must have done something stupid with the ingredients in the breadmaker earlier in the week as every loaf had come out perfect since. I am wondering if I forgot the yeast

When I was in Mr S they made an announcement that they were doing free cholesterol tests so I thought I would take them up on it and I am 3.2 which is good, I think

Mothership I had a good laugh at that cheeky moo stealing the bargains from your trolley.

We were supposed to be having quorn with ginger and coconut but DH said he wasnt feeling great this afternoon so I said I would just do JPs with cheese and now he is starving It will have to be an omlette, JP and HM curried beans.

Have a good night all, its blowing a gale here
    October Grocery Challenge - 122.00/220
  • ChocClare
    ChocClare can I have the recipe for the Sweet and Sour Sauce? I spend a fortune on Uncle Ben's.
    Originally posted by cat_smith
    Of course!

Easy Peasy Sweet & Sour Sauce

9 tblsps tomato ketchup; 3tblsps malt vinegar; 4tblsps muscovado sugar (or "brown" sugar if you haven't got that)

Mix together in a bowl and bung in the microwave to heat through and dissolve the sugar.

Meanwhile, fry off some eg chicken (or pork or veg, depending on your tastes) with some chopped onion and sliced peppers if liked. Pour sauce over top and simmer. If you have a tin of pineapple languishing, then some chopped pineapple and pineapple juice also gives it a nice flavour (and increases the amount of sauce if you're making for more than four). Of course you don't have to be a veggie to pad this out with more veg - french beans, julienne carrots, broccoli florets or even shredded cabbage all go well with this.

This is a very "fresh"-tasting sauce - not gloopy, like Uncle Ben's (other brand names are available). Most sweet and sour recipes call for cornflour, but this doesn't need it and I think it's why it tastes so much fresher. My very fussy family loved it - with chicken for us carnivores and a mix of veg for DD.
    • cookie9
    • By cookie9 3rd Feb 11, 5:48 PM
    • 748 Posts
    • 3,713 Thanks
    cookie9
    Have wriiten off Januarry as was terribly ill and OH was in charge of shopping. Now I am feeling better and ready to get through February with a taarget of 200.

Freezer has mince and sausages and have reasonable amounts of rice. pasta and couscous so fingers crossed can have a cheap month. Have spinach so could do a chick pea and spinach curry this weekend. C* *p had Chinese sauces half price so treated myself to a couple of those for when we have stir fry.
    MFW 91 op 2014 410/1000
    MFW 91 op 2015 4051/4000
    MFW 91 op 2016 4040/4000
    MFW 91 op 2017 812/4500
    • freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 3rd Feb 11, 5:52 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre
    11.96 spent today.

Got some frozen salmon fillets that are on offer (6 for 5), as well as tinned beans/chickpeas (3 for 1), a pineapple, spread and eggs.

I noticed some big bags of Doritos reduced to 50p, but didn't realise until I got home that I picked up the wrong bag and they're a flavour I really don't like!! It's only 50p, but still annoying

Need to get some toilet rolls, so will pop into Farmfoods tomorrow as i'm passing. Also going to go into Lidl on Saturday for the weekend offers as I am almost out of olive oil and the pork always seems to be really good from there. Oh dear...just spotted they have crisps on offer too. I must try and resist!
    Grocery challenge - Nov: 52/100
  • Mothership

When I was in Mr S they made an announcement that they were doing free cholesterol tests so I thought I would take them up on it and I am 3.2 which is good, I think
    Originally posted by XSpender
    Good ? Amazing more like, I think thats the lowest I've ever heard of . Well done lass!

Took a leg of lamb out of the freezer for tomorrows dinner, its the OH birthday and all the family are coming round. Going to make Tart Tatin for desert tomorrow, found a wee lonely pack of frozen puff pastry in the freezer, no one will notice if I cheat.

I had to pop into the local fruit shop for some rosemary and red onions 1.16 for two small onions and 20g of rosemary. I wiz robbed!!!! .

I heard my OH telling my daughter he enjoyed his chicken and chorizo pasta, so I'm all chuffed. We just finished off the rest of it.
    1st Purse 114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse 100
    Fridge Freezer 300 3rd Purse /290.94
    • fedupandskint
    • By fedupandskint 3rd Feb 11, 6:28 PM
    • 10,351 Posts
    • 97,525 Thanks
    fedupandskint
    Just had 2 NSD's so far and no more GC spends yet - may be tomorrow or might wait until Sat

Thanks for the veggie recipies, I've got loads of lentils that need eating at some point and the loaf sounds lovely for a meat free meal!

Just one slice of marmalade cake left - will have to make some more then!
    final unsecured debt to repay currently 8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
    • Mrs Money Penny
    • By Mrs Money Penny 3rd Feb 11, 6:44 PM
    • 732 Posts
    • 6,347 Thanks
    Mrs Money Penny
    Hi Could you put me down for 200 again this month please.
    MFIT Challenge save 40k
    48828.05/46842.89/-1985.16Mortgage neutral 03/19
    • Cmdr_Bond
    • By Cmdr_Bond 3rd Feb 11, 6:48 PM
    • 557 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    Cmdr_Bond
    Can you put me down for 200 please - this will be my first month, so no idea how well I will do.

Cheers.
    Not as green as I am cabbage looking
    • rosie383
    • By rosie383 3rd Feb 11, 7:02 PM
    • 4,768 Posts
    • 10,477 Thanks
    rosie383
    Felt great going with my lists and doing 'big shop' today. Managed to spend 35 in Asda and then went to Lidl and managed another 45!!!!!!
    There is a lot of that that is for the month, should only need to add any 'whoopsied' fish that I can find and fresh fruit and veg.
    I treated myself to the Good Food mag that was mentioned in OS forum. Haven't bought a magazine for years!!! Can't wait til the kids are in bed and I can sit down for a good nosy at the recipes!
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
  • rach
    PLease can I join and be put down for 150 for the month, this is for me and DH, plus I am breastfeeding so that's my excuse for eating more. DH gets hot lunch at work so it should be doable!
    Mum to gorgeous baby boy born Sept 2010
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 3rd Feb 11, 7:29 PM
    • 4,361 Posts
    • 30,013 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi...thank u for the tortilla recipe on the front page...made my own to go with fajitas tonite...they were good and very cheap

off shopping tomorrow with a small budget but we still dont need too mush which is handy...mainly fruit and veg...bit of milk and some pop

i have decided to use a bit of frozen veg to see if i save a bit of money i think it is ok nutritionally but will avoid the waste when stuff goes a bit past its best

take care
    tessa
    onwards and upwards
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 3rd Feb 11, 7:44 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    ChocClare![/B]

On the Asd@ issue, delivery was arranged to be delivered yesterday at 6pm. At 8:20 pm mu OH called again because it had not arrived! Again, no call or anything!! I can't believe it!!! Customer services were not very helpful and all they could say is that they did not get much help from the deliveries department and it is difficult to know what they are doing or where they are. OH cancelled order and asked for a refund, so now I have back the money but I haven't got the toilet paper, crisps, rice, potatoes and chips I was looking forward to stock up! It was almost 20 less than anywhere else! OH suggested we could go at the weekend with the car but I am scared of going into a shop knowing I can carry back as much as I want (point 1) and with him, who is very MSE in general but is atracted by offers and nice packagings. In fact, I think I went to bed thinking about this as I dreamt my OH did an online shop of 1200 in cheese, hundreds of packs of beer and soft drinks, toilet paper and tins. LOL I woke up to be relieved!!! No idea why I dreamt about those items though, since we do not buy alcohol often or in bulk (I would say the average monthly is under half a bottle of wine, maybe one or two beers an a litre of soft drinks). So not only it was a lot of money but also in things we did not use! Lol I remember asking him in the dream "hth have you spent 500 in cheese!?" RFOL But I also remember dreaming about going to a magical elven world through a magical tree... so my dreams do not have much correlation with the reality, my OH is quite MSE in general lol
    by martafdz; [B
    Have you been watching Wallace and Grommit by any chance?
    Popped in Coop tonight after work and got loads of bargains. Lots of reduced stuff-crisps at 5p per bag for walkers, 3 packs of ham 40p each. DH wanted some brown seeded bread which is 1.29 and its for him alone so I got him to bag it up 4 slices at a time to take one pack a day from the freezer otherwise the kids end up toasting it! White bread isnt agreeing with him so this seemed the answer. Spent about 28 in there and also stocked up on some fruit and veg. Postponed my Asda order which would have been delivered on Monday until next Wednesday. For 3 days Im at present under budget.
    Now going to make something for work for tomorrow. I bought some savoury rice and cuppa soups also tonight in Coop and glad I checked the receipt as the bogoffs didnt work on the cuppasoup. I now always spend a couple of minutes checking my receipt before I leave a store!
    Last edited by angelatgraceland; 03-02-2011 at 8:04 PM.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 3rd Feb 11, 7:49 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    They do say that frozen is actually better for you than fresh, as it's frozen straight away to keep in its nutrients, whereas 'fresh' could've been in the field/lorry/plane/warehouse/shop for days!! I tend to have a mixture of both, but always have frozen garlic, sweetcorn, peas and peppers, plus a pack of mixed veg and other random bits - at the mo it's cauliflower and some of those steam pack things (on offer when I bought them, of course!).

NSD today, which means 2/3 for Feb so far! Early days I know, but still, every little step I take is a step in the right direction (usually!). Children went to a school disco today, and had crisps as a snack there, so they weren't really very hungry at dinner. Instead of what I had planned, out came the trusty choice of tomato soup or beans on toast! Obviously they chose soup (it's their absolute fave at the mo - think they'd choose it over any other dinner at all). I didn't eat with them, as one tin does the pair of them, so I'm now enjoyed cupboard surprise, which today is a puff pastry pizza - ood pastry mix, ood mozzarella, tom puree and herbs. Simple, but delicious! AND, it uses up some stuff that was destined for the bin. Very MS!

Coming down with another cold, so I fear that the planned meals for the weekend may go out of the window. Hmmm...

Have a good evening all,
    PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan 87.97/100 Feb 0/100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • martafdz
    I went to MrM and bought more than I could carry!!!! I spent 71.73, but I think there were some bargains. I think I have done well, not brilliantly but well. I have now toilet paper, ketchup and coffee for three months, teabags and crisps for two months, shower gel for at least 3 months (they had an offer of huge 500ml Sanex at 1.37 bath or shower) and sugar and butter for the whole month (including cakes). Offers that I thought were good:

Utterly Butterly butter 500g at 75p
    Nescafe Decaff Coffee 200g at 5 with BOGOF (MrS had this jar at 4 each)
    160 PGtips at 2.50 (0.015 each teabag)
    Heinz ketchup 700g at 2.08
    2 packs of Oven Chips 900g (so 1.8Kg total) at 1.20
    5Kg potatoes bag at 1.94
    Bag of red onions at 50p
    Pack of stew vegetables with huge parsnip, massive swede, a few carrots and two onions at 1
    Bag of 'best' carrots at 45p
    1Kg value long grain rice at 72p
    8 wraps with ood end of feb at 87p
    10 medium free range eggs for 2
    Huge 500ml Sanex shower gel (also bath version if you want it) at 1.37
    Multipack 18 walker crisps at 1.89

Mothership I saw some dates in the bakery section, they had a bag or ready to eat dates for 1.60 or so. Sorry I cannot be more specific, I should have written it down, I read it and though "oh, I will remember that".... obviously not!!
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • martafdz
    Have you been watching Wallace and Grommit by any chance?!
    Originally posted by angelatgraceland
    No, what bit do they do? the 1200 shopping with loads of cheese or the going into a magic world through a tree?

PennyGrabber, yeah, I also heard that. I always have carrots and peas from frozen.

Anyone has any ideas for desserts with 4 kiwis?
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
    • debtfreewannabe321
    • By debtfreewannabe321 3rd Feb 11, 8:47 PM
    • 6,623 Posts
    • 22,333 Thanks
    debtfreewannabe321
    Can I join in on this please? I've not done this before so I'd like to break myself in slowly and this month i'd like to start with a budget of 250...this is for me and 3 children (2 in nappies!) thank you
    2015 Goals:-#1 419.26/1000 (Emergency..target #1) 41.93% , #2- 14,010.70/15,000 (new house) 93.4% #3 395.07/1000 (Rental house fund target #1) 39.5% .
    Aim High!
    Debt-Free in 2013. Saving for a better future
    • CherryPie
    • By CherryPie 3rd Feb 11, 8:49 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 5,349 Thanks
    CherryPie
    Had another spend today, but still no big shop!

Bought a couple of packs of root veg for 15p each. Carrots, swede & potato. Not sure whether to make soup or cook & freeze them? In this weather I'm thinking a nice bowl of spicy veg soup to heat me up!

Wondered what everyones best ever whoopsie was?

Mine was a box of those Famous Names liqueurs. Think they are about 7?? They were on a whoopsie for 1. I always use the self serve kiosk, and when I got home and checked my receipt, I'd got them for 1p!!!

**In the days even before being MSE as I double check everything as it goes through now**

x
    My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - 46.73 / 100.00
  • kitschy
    Managed to pick up the bits I couldn't get yesterday, so hopefully that's the bulk of it out of the way. Spent another 27.04.
    Sainsbury's Savings Card 3.55
    March Grocery Challenge 0/60
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

759Posts Today

6,497Users online

Martin's Twitter