Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge 24th Jan 11 at 3:50 PM
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the second Grocery Challenge of 2011

This is my first time starting the thread so EEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK! It's a bit scary.

Pink, you're not going to shout at me are you? Just thought I would have try to help you out and have a bash at it myself this month. Credit where it's due Pink - this thing has pickled me brain!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your January budget, then keep on posting in the January 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month. Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 28-01-2011 at 8:44 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 21
  • fallen_angel09
    I have spent 65 out of the 120 oops!
    As many NSD in 2011 as possible, Get Grocery bill as low as possible and Save as much as possible
    LETS DO THIS!
  • ChocClare
    I was also hoping someone had a wee chutney recipe.
    Originally posted by Mothership
    Your wish is my command, mothership Accept no substitutes: Emperors and beggars alike would step over their dying mothers for my grandmother's trusty, no-cook Apple Chutney recipe.

You will need one pound each of:
    Apples, peeled, cored and diced
    Dates, minced
    Onions, finely chopped
    Sultanas (I use value ones)
    Brown sugar

Put these into a bowl and stir

Pour over one pint of malt vinegar

In a piece of muslin, tie up 1 rounded teaspoon salt; pinch cayenne pepper and 1oz pickling spice. Bury this bag in the mixture and stir again.

Leave for 24 hours, stirring occasionally. Remove the spice bag. Decant into sterilized jars.

Preferably leave at least 6 weeks before munching your way through this. It will keep for YEARS - none of this once opened keep in the refrigerator and consume within 3 days mallarkey. The jar in my cupboard which is open and used for cheese and pickle sandwiches on a weekly basis says September 2006 on the label (we stored things in a less than optimum way and ate the 2008 batch before the last of the 2006 was finished). I used to make a big batch every two years (as you may have gathered) but now make it annually as so many people who've once tasted it now insist on jars of it as presents

Yum.
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 2nd Feb 11, 7:57 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    Came in just under budget for January and so far have 2 no spending days so its a good start. Nothing eventful or interesting to tell I'm afraid!
    Making sure I keep up my packed lunches for work and going to keep a supply of dried stuff in my locker(instant food) for emergencies! That way I will not spend.
    Last edited by angelatgraceland; 02-02-2011 at 9:20 PM.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
    • waltzingMathilda
    • By waltzingMathilda 2nd Feb 11, 8:02 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 847 Thanks
    waltzingMathilda
    I am in for 450 again
    thanks
    2 adults 3 children
    Debt mar 17 43,277
  • ChocClare
    A No Spend Day for me today so off to update my signature in a minute.

Feeling quite as tonight's dinner was very nice but all leftovers!

DH and I had the remains of the chicken fried off with onions and mushrooms, sprinkled with paprika and then a couple of tablespoonfuls of yoghurt on a bed of rice as a pretend chicken stroganoff (do people HAVE chicken stroganoff??!).

Meanwhile, DD had a vegetarian chilli comprising broccoli, beans carrots, sweet potatoes, sweetcorn, tomatoes, onions, leeks and celery with a tin of black-eyed beans which has been languishing in the cupboard for ages, plus of course chilli powder and grated chocolate. I think there may have been some tomato puree in there as well. Anyway, what it was was basically everything that was sitting at the bottom of the fridge looking like it might not get eaten. She said it was "really nice" (she is 15: this is ultimate praise). There was enough left for me to make her three more servings (with the leftover rice), one of which she asked to take to school tomorrow for lunch and the other two are going in the freezer as "ready meals" for her.

Meanwhile the chicken carcass went in the slow cooker with more dodgy veg to make stock

AND I then pulled out the five cooked sausages, leftover mash and almost full tin of baked beans which were sitting in the fridge not being eaten by DS. I chopped the sausages into chunks and fried off with some sliced onions and mushrooms, added a splash of worcestershire sauce, the beans and some tiny cubes of cheddar from a piece an inch and a half square which was languishing. I then put this in an oven dish and spread the leftover mash on top, grating the last of the cheese on a very fine grater so it would cover it. And there's mine and DH's supper for tomorrow. Not so long ago I would have ignored those ingredients until they grew mould on them at which point they would have been consigned to the bin.

So I am feeling very holy
    • Sue14
    • By Sue14 2nd Feb 11, 8:14 PM
    • 899 Posts
    • 10,894 Thanks
    Sue14
    First spend of the month today, 1.35 for milk, and I will need to get some cat food and a few other bits tomorrow.
    Weight loss challenge 3/10lbs
    Total weight loss 21lbs

• PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 2nd Feb 11, 8:34 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    Well done Chocclare!!

Went to friend's house for dinner yesterday, which was fab! I volunteered to take pudding as they were feeding me, so I took a cheesecake out of the freezer and took it round! So lazy, but so MSE!! After seeing them, I went to a@da to do my first real shop of the month. Stocked up on rice (well, 2kg, but that will last us for ages!). I was really pleased with myself though, as I didn't stray off the list very much, and didn't buy random things, thinking "I'll cook something with that on ***day!" This whole stock taking thing really works, as before I wouldn't have known what I had, so stocked up on stuff I already had stocks of! I ended up spending 49.34, but did get loo rolls, 2 months' worth of lunchbox drinks, some cleaning bits as well as food stuff.

Normally when I go shopping, I don't really feel like I got enough for the money, but I'm quite pleased with what I got yesterday. Today is a NSD, will start tally in signature once I've signed off. I'm loving the new recipes we've been treated to in the last few weeks, keep 'em coming guys!!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan 87.97/100 Feb 0/100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • kitschy
    Well, not that successful a trip in that they didn't have the chicken I wanted (they only had SP chicken and although it's a lot cheaper, I don't like to compromise on things like meat and eggs for welfare reasons - I'd rather go without), or the deodorant I wanted, so had to get one that was a few pence dearer. BUT, have bought SP pasta and frozen sweetcorn (a sweetcorn's a sweetcorn, ain't it?) Overall spent 10.57 from my 65 budget, and stuck firmly to my list, so quite pleased so far
    Sainsbury's Savings Card 3.55
    March Grocery Challenge 0/60
  • bertiebots
    Your wish is my command, mothership Accept no substitutes: Emperors and beggars alike would step over their dying mothers for my grandmother's trusty, no-cook Apple Chutney recipe.

Dates, minced
    Onions, finely chopped
    Brown sugar

In a piece of muslin, tie up 1 rounded teaspoon salt; pinch cayenne pepper and 1oz pickling spice. Bury this bag in the mixture and stir again.

Leave for 24 hours, stirring occasionally. Remove the spice bag. Decant into sterilized jars.

Preferably leave at least 6 weeks before munching your way through this. It will keep for YEARS - none of this once opened keep in the refrigerator and consume within 3 days mallarkey. The jar in my cupboard which is open and used for cheese and pickle sandwiches on a weekly basis says September 2006 on the label (we stored things in a less than optimum way and ate the 2008 batch before the last of the 2006 was finished). I used to make a big batch every two years (as you may have gathered) but now make it annually as so many people who've once tasted it now insist on jars of it as presents

Yum.
    Originally posted by ChocClare

OOOoooh this sounds loverly!! Not loads of complicated ingredients......and I have loads of jars in the garage so may have found a use at last ...no cooking involved-I'm in Must jot this one down Thanks

Btw another NSD for me
    JAN GC- 155.77 out of 200 FEB GC 197.31 out of 180. MARCH GC - out of 200
  • Mothership

Dates, minced
    Onions, finely chopped
    Brown sugar

Yum.
    Originally posted by ChocClare
    I knew someone on here would have a recipe LOL This is a beauty. The only ingredient I don't have enough of is dates. I think I got my last batch at Holland and Barrat if I remember correctly.
    Thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much!

I'm going to try the Apple & Cucumber Chutney too that sounds yummy as well. Just hope its not as exciting as the marmalade escapade LOL.
    Last edited by Mothership; 02-02-2011 at 9:47 PM.
    1st Purse 114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse 100
    Fridge Freezer 300 3rd Purse /290.94
    • mummyjane
    • By mummyjane 2nd Feb 11, 9:33 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 3,685 Thanks
    mummyjane
    I had hoped to have a NSD today but ended up spending 11.73 in the Co-op as the kids have been raiding the fridge again. I do feed them well honestly . Bought yoghurts for the kids, bananas and stocked up on baked beans (on offer but we will eat them all over the next couple of weeks anyway). I have managed to down brand on most things but Heinz baked beans are my luxury item - nothing nicer than a cold baked bean sandwich nom nom nom....

I seem to be spending a fortune at the moment on lunchbox bits so I am trying to fill them with more hm bits to keep the cost down. Oh and she has now decided that she doesn't like sandwiches anymore Anyway, have threatened dd with school dinners if she doesn't eat her lunches which will include a sandwich like it or not.
    Groceries Challenge 2019
    Jan 462.44/400
    Feb 210.10/450, 2/10 NSDs
  • EllieA
    162.13 spent out of febs budget so far ... oops!! Bringing my Annual total to 389.53 out of 3000 thus far, but i have done my big monthly shop so hopefully i won't need too much more this month, just perishables.
  • ChocClare
    I knew someone on here would have a recipe LOL This is a beauty. The only ingredient I don't have enough of is dates. I think I got my last batch at Holland and Barrat if I remember correctly.
    Thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much!
    Originally posted by Mothership
    Tesco's do chopped dates (then you don't need to mince them) which are sugary but work very well in this recipe. They're in the baking department.
  • tiptoes
    Hi all I hope your having a better start to the months than myself OH went shopping today without a list as I'm not well. This was a big mistake as I'm sure he has spent about 50/60 and there is nothng to show for it other than cheap meatballs, fizzy pop and chocolate..

I'll update my signature when I get the reciept off him.
    GC: 400/ 0
  • lolly101
    Hi Everyone,

Well I ended up in Tesco again today... I really must stop doing that! I only spent 20ish, but it was still 20 more than I needed to spend! I just bought a few bits that we 'could do with', I also got a few gift sets in the sale (which won't be included in my spends) as they have reduced them even more now. I also nipped into Boots earlier, and received a Graze box through the post, so have spent 23.43 in total.
  • rosieben
    ChocClare, your lush sounding no-cook Apple Chutney recipe is now in the index
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Candy Belle

Almost a NSD yesterday but then remembered that I needed to get 2 bags of ultra clumping litter for the puddytats so a big spend of 8.19 at sainsbugs!

Have a g8t day everyone!
    Grocery Challange for DH, Me & 2 Fussy Cats (inc Grocerys, Cleaning Products & Cat Food)
    G/C -May 177.04/235.00 Apr 237.79/235.00 Mar 226.16 /235.00
    G/C - Jan 248.52/235.00 - Feb214.72/235.00
    NSD -May 3/31 Apr 10/30 Mar 3/31 Feb 6/28 NSD Jan 3/31
  • goingontoolong
    Hi guys.

I am totally impressed with myself this week...got coupons from Mr M's through the door, with money off various things. usually i dont bother with it cos they are too far away from me but this one I HAD to use,
    FREE FRUIT!!!
    A totally free, no min spend, bag of gala apples, conference pears and oranges as part of their 5 a day drive. went in, picked up 5 worth of fruit, handed over coupon, paid not a penny!!
    Sorted!!!

GOTL x
    Wedding, CC and Loan by May2012 Target - 35 a day
    Starting 21/01/11 Total so far added to savings - 2316.15 (82 a day)
    #1280 sealed pot - 58.57 11k in 2011 - 981.10/11,000
    • cheerfulness4
    • By cheerfulness4 3rd Feb 11, 7:58 AM
    • 2,823 Posts
    • 25,383 Thanks
    cheerfulness4
    Wow wish we could get coupons like that goingontoolong! Well done on that little lot of goodies.
  • martafdz
    Well done on using all those leftovers ChocClare!
    I used the carcass of my roast chicken to do a chinese chicken and sweetcorn soup. It was great according to my taste, but OH preffered the one from the take away because the pieces of chicken were much smaller and mine was not as thick (not as much flour or completely "dissolved" sweetcorn). Grrr. I thought the taste was far better and the fact that I could see the chicken and the sweetcorn was an extra point for me! This was like making burgers and being told that McDon's are smaller and thinner!! Lol Anyway, we had two bowls and I have another one for lunch today. I will put the recipe in a separate post.

On the Asd@ issue, delivery was arranged to be delivered yesterday at 6pm. At 8:20 pm mu OH called again because it had not arrived! Again, no call or anything!! I can't believe it!!! Customer services were not very helpful and all they could say is that they did not get much help from the deliveries department and it is difficult to know what they are doing or where they are. OH cancelled order and asked for a refund, so now I have back the money but I haven't got the toilet paper, crisps, rice, potatoes and chips I was looking forward to stock up! It was almost 20 less than anywhere else! OH suggested we could go at the weekend with the car but I am scared of going into a shop knowing I can carry back as much as I want (point 1) and with him, who is very MSE in general but is atracted by offers and nice packagings. In fact, I think I went to bed thinking about this as I dreamt my OH did an online shop of 1200 in cheese, hundreds of packs of beer and soft drinks, toilet paper and tins. LOL I woke up to be relieved!!! No idea why I dreamt about those items though, since we do not buy alcohol often or in bulk (I would say the average monthly is under half a bottle of wine, maybe one or two beers an a litre of soft drinks). So not only it was a lot of money but also in things we did not use! Lol I remember asking him in the dream "hth have you spent 500 in cheese!?" RFOL But I also remember dreaming about going to a magical elven world through a magical tree... so my dreams do not have much correlation with the reality, my OH is quite MSE in general lol
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,361Posts Today

7,763Users online

Martin's Twitter