Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge 24th Jan 11 at 3:50 PM
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the second Grocery Challenge of 2011

This is my first time starting the thread so EEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK! It's a bit scary.

Pink, you're not going to shout at me are you? Just thought I would have try to help you out and have a bash at it myself this month. Credit where it's due Pink - this thing has pickled me brain!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your January budget, then keep on posting in the January 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month. Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 28-01-2011 at 8:44 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 19
  • Equilibrium
    Ohh forgot to say Morrisons have got anoffer on alot of stir fry / chinese things for 50p each. I picked up yesterday a bag of egg noodles - 50p, a chinese stir fry - 50p, and a pack of 4 big spring rolls - 50p. So the whole meal only cost 1.50 and There was plenty for the two of us
    GC spend Jan so far 165.68/ 160 FEB 189 /170
    MARCH 0/170
    Beautiful pictures are formed from dark negatives , so when your having a dark day feel rest assured that a beautiful picture is being prepared for you
  • ebayqueen
    Morning all
    Day 2 of February. No nsds yet but groceries delivered via Mr T, still the cheapest for my list through mysupermarket. Total including delivery 59.51...called at local store to stock up on H baked beans, mushy peas (special offer) and a few treats...8.26. (just noticed that I was charge for 2 pack of choc bikkies and I know for sure I only ate one packet yesterday!!!!!!! so I will be tottering back in today to threaten them if I dont get my money back (only kidding)!!!

Lidl reduced bread and turkey breast, Cabbage 49p, sunflower oil, noodles 3 for 2!! total spend 8.64.

So a good enough week and am going to pop for some decent coffee today as the special offer bigbrand in tescos is yuk!

So heres to the rest of the month as I would love to come in under 300 again.

Good luck to all
    "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" C. S. Lewis
  • somethingsgottogive
    Hello

OH picked up some fruit and veg and other bits yesterday, so that's 11.64/200. I'm hoping that'll be it until the weekend!

Fallen_angel - I did an inventory of everything in the kitchen last month, and I'm planning on using as much as possible through this month aswell. I didn't even think about whether it was cheating or not :/
    Paying off CC in 2011 2100/1692
    Jan NSD 19/20 Feb NSD11/15March/April ? May 0/15
    Sealed pot 1164 it's a surprise!
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 2nd Feb 11, 10:13 AM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 29,575 Thanks
    quintwins
    i changed my mind on getting taties i decided i'd try rake up a few nsd so i'm gonna make do til fri, were having stew today with the last few taties and then i'll be topping it up with the stew from the freezer, so today will be a nsd for me but i forgot to add in the 2 happy meals we got as a treat on mon after we took the twins to the dr's so thats another 4.38, what happen to the days when they were 1.99 lol it's soon won't be cheap enought for a quick treat and it won't be long til i have 2 buy 3 will update my sig now
    OCT GC 196.12/200
  • goodgirl80
    Have taken cake mix and cereal bars off this weeks list in favour of cat food and cheap flour to stock up on in case it gets more expensive again.
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 2nd Feb 11, 10:14 AM
    • 3,410 Posts
    • 34,908 Thanks
    XSpender
    Have you got the sauce recipe, XSpender...sounds lovely!
    THANKS
    Originally posted by Jolaaled
    Chicken or Quorn with Ginger and Coconut Milk

1 tblsp veg oil
    1 inch of ginger grated or 1tsp ground ginger
    1 clove of garlic, crushed
    1/2 tsp paprika
    350g quorn pieces or chicken cubed
    1 green pepper, diced, or cut into diamonds if your feeling posh
    200ml coconut milk
    1/2 tsp tabasco
    2 tsp of cornflour
    rind and juice of 1 lemon

Heat oil and saute ginger and garlic for 1 minute. Add paprika and mix well. Add quorn/chicken and saute for 5-7 minutes. Add remaining ingredients except for the lemon and cornflour and simmer for 20 mins. Blend the cornflour with a little water and mix in. Stir and simmer until thickened. Add lemon juice and rind and heat through.

I haven't made this myself yet so I hope it's OK. My Mum says she adds more garlic and ginger and 3 desertspoons of dessicated coconut to thicken it up a bit and leaves out the tabasco as she can't eat it.
    October Grocery Challenge - 277.74/220
    • jovi20
    • By jovi20 2nd Feb 11, 10:16 AM
    • 155 Posts
    • 862 Thanks
    jovi20
    Sorry for the following rant....

I am fumming!

I ordered at Asda on Sunday to come today, so it will be the first shop of February, most of it just to stock up basics/food I buy often that were on offer, such as toilet paper, potatoes, crisps or chips. Well, I had a slot between 4pm and 6pm but at 6:30pm I was still waiting. So I call the customer services, who take my number and said they will call back. At 7pm I received a call saying that they have "just been" and there was no one in! What the...? I was at home! I received no call, there is a concierge in the building who open the door and nobody knocked at the door! I am rubbish at complaining so I kind of started mumbling I was upset but then agreed to have it redelivered tomorrow. That's it. All I got is a "sorry, we will talk to the driver to see what he says". Not even an offer to refund the delivery!!! And they have already charged my account, as the available balance is taking into account this payment!! I feel I have paid 48 for bad service and late food. I hope they do send me tomorrow fresh stuff because I had loads of frozen items there!

I felt like cancelling the order but according to MySupermarket the same items in other sm were 18 more.

I feel so frustrated! I needed some of that stuff for today and tomorrow!!

Can I have a piece of chocolate cake to calm down?

EDIT: btw, welcome to the challenge to the new people! This is my second month and it's brilliant!
    Originally posted by martafdz

In response to your asd* experience, I recently had a no show on delivery from Tesc*'s, it was actually the day before me Son's christening party and I had a rather large order for over 130.00 for the buffet. After ringing their customer services they advised that the van had broken down and offered to deliver first thing the following morning. As this was actual day of buffet, I declined and went and picked up the shopping. I did however get 20.00 voucher towards next online order and a refund on the delivery. When I got to the store, my shopping was there all packed and the bloke loaded it into my car.
    I have also had a late delivery from asd* with no phone call or compensation either. so although often cheaper I have tended to use Tesc* more than Asd*, but then Asd* don't send any vouchers with points do they?
    I do like using online delivery but if you are needing your shopping there and then, home delivery is not always the most reliable.

As for my febuary budget, well I have had my first online delivery of 72.75 yesterday. I also spent 3.83 in local c*-*p, but got some reduced ham and 4 for 2.00 on baby food , so saved 0.86p.

Should have a NSD today as not planning on leaving the house so hopefully off to a good start.

jovi20
    2015 TARGETS

Weight loss 12.5/112lb 18th feb -4.5lb, 25th feb -2.5lb, 4th mar -2.5, 11th Mar -3,

Savings 100 per month 300 /1200
    • cutiepieabf
    • By cutiepieabf 2nd Feb 11, 10:21 AM
    • 344 Posts
    • 3,561 Thanks
    cutiepieabf
    Almost caught up with the thread, only 3 pages to go

Spent just over a tenner yesterday on formula, 2 tubs of spread and a bottle of water to take to my interview/3 hour assessment I really need to get some bananas today as DH likes to have one for breakfast and I am debating whether to do my weekly shop today instead of Friday to save going to Mr S twice. I don't need much fresh stuff as my veg and fruit boxes will be delivered on Friday anyway. I will see if I hav the energy after I get my HW done as the place is a tip

I had a disaster with the bread in my BM on Monday. The bread just did not rise and was a heavy lump at the bottom of the pan I had used the same flour and yeast on Sunday and it was fine for a loaf and pizza bases so I am not sure what was going on there. I made a white oaf straight afterwards and that was fine. I am going to try the 70% wholemeal again this morning.

I am going to make a macaroni cheese and broccoli bake for tea tonight. I will add some chopped ham I have in the freezer to DH half. Tomorrow I am making a recipe of my Mum's. Quorn (should be chicken but I am a veggie) with a ginger and coconut sauce, will serve it with rice.

Also going to try the millies cookie recipe as the half batch of twinks I made Sunday are all gone

Have a nice day everyone
    Originally posted by XSpender
    Hi there,

I may be teaching granny to suck eggs if you excuse the pun, but have you made sure that you put the ingredients in in EXACTLY the right order? I have strayed from this before and it has meant that the yeast has activated too soon or not activated at all, so that may have been the problem for you? HTH.
    DFBX2016 #160 - 3550/8800

DFBX2017 #160 - 0/11,378

0/7807 CapOne (0% PAID) 0/2776 Tesco (0% PAID)
    820/820 HSBC OD (100% PAID) 0/795 HSBC M/C (0% PAID)
  • LittleMissHappy
    Went on a whoopsie hunt and got lots of goodies today

3 x finest sirloin steak = 5.10 (not counted as it s for Valentines dinner that I am doing for DH instead of going out...very MSE )
    Chicken pie (family size) = 1.35
    Apples = 65p
    Bag of salad = 45p
    Clementines = 55p
    2 x cucumber portions = 50p

So on GC budget I have spent 3.50 - will update signature now x
    Be the change you want to see in the world - Gandhi
    OU - DD100 (P ), DSE141 (D ), DSE212 (P ), ED209 (02/12), DXR222 (07/12) SD226 (02/13)
  • Mothership
    Did you have to get 4kg ? Or did they come in smaller packs ? I always laugh when I hear someone say 'I bought all this now what do I do with it ?'- my answer is often 'think of that before you buy them'!!!
    Not meaning to be cheeky
    How about tart tatin ? That might freeze too ?
    Or store them somewhere cool and dark ?
    Shame it is not halloween or you could be 'dooking for apples' lol.
    Finally is there a friend who might like to swap some apples for something else ?
    Originally posted by OrkneyStar
    ROTFLMAO! They came in two bags, one @ 31p and the other 38p. Oh! I know what to do with them all right, we are gonnie eat em!!!
    When I posted asking for help I was looking for inspiration, and storage advice, (us city chicks don't know much about these things.) I planted an apple tree a few years back. Its a good size now and is starting to bear fruit, so I was hoping to learn how to store apples properly so I wont waste them

Tart tatin is a family favourite (I got a proper dish for it a few xmases ago.) And we have a baby who LOVES apple puree, a family who loves apple sauce, crumble.
    I was also hoping someone had a wee chutney recipe.
    1st Purse 114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse 100
    Fridge Freezer 300 3rd Purse /290.94
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 2nd Feb 11, 11:04 AM
    • 4,364 Posts
    • 30,028 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi...hope everyone is well and doing well....i havent spent anything lately but am beginning to get cabin fever....am planning a trip to costco to get a few bits...quite fancy trying their eggs as they are very reasonable but come in a massive quantity...planning to share with a couple of friends

also need fruit as it has disappeared out of the fridge...funny how that happens

spend for jan averaged out at 34 a week...um i did have a fair bit in though...so i think that may go up in feb

take care
    tessa
    onwards and upwards
    • toddles*
    • By toddles* 2nd Feb 11, 11:29 AM
    • 360 Posts
    • 2,653 Thanks
    toddles*
    just been to HB to get my monthly supply of Nicky toliet roll and my 49p dishwashing tablets. quite a few bargains in there. Just drinking a little treat- Strawberry ribena huge bottle, 79p. lovely.

Spent 24.50 and that was including presents, card and wrap for my friends birthday.
    Happy days
    • rosie383
    • By rosie383 2nd Feb 11, 11:55 AM
    • 4,768 Posts
    • 10,477 Thanks
    rosie383
    I'm coming in at 240 for Feb and hope i CAN DO IT THIS TIME. i WAS GREAT FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS, BUT DIDN'T BOTHER DOING A MEAL PLAN THIS MONTH AND NOTICED A MASSIVE DIFFERENCE. (OOPS CAPS LOCK!!!)
    So this month I am due to do my 'big shop' tomorrow and will be finalising my meal plan tonight. I have given the family fair warning to give me suggestions, and haven't had a lot of help, so, they can like it or lump it!!!!!!
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    • babyboysmommy
    • By babyboysmommy 2nd Feb 11, 11:57 AM
    • 405 Posts
    • 4,411 Thanks
    babyboysmommy
    I went to Tesc0 this morning & spent 26.97. I bought quite a bit of rather nice fruit & a few treats but decided I was worth it as I'm pregnant I don't need to go shopping again until this time next week.
    • Rhealea
    • By Rhealea 2nd Feb 11, 12:07 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    Rhealea
    Just a quick post from me as I'm really chuffed by using up food that would normally have gone in the bin! DH did an extra Jacket Potatoe last night by accident so I brought this with me for lunch today topped with left over sausage casserole (not enough to freeze) and a left over spoonful of beans! Tasted lovely and didn't cost me anything to buy lunch at work! Also bananas were very over ripe last night so chopped them up and set a jelly over them and going to turn it into a trifle tonight - the kids won't eat "bad" bananas but will if they're disguised in Jelly!!!
    Grocery Challenge - Jan 426.06 / 435.00
    Feb 376.37 / 435.00
    March 0.00 / 435.00
    • Sunnyday
    • By Sunnyday 2nd Feb 11, 12:09 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 34,008 Thanks
    Sunnyday
    Hi Peeps

my siggy has been updated after a spend of just under 20 spread out over the last couple of days. That leaves me just short of 50 to spend until the 18th which is payday and my March challenge begins

Thinking about it as i`m doing the GC 4 weekly i shall end up with about a month spare and i`ll be very out of synch with everyone else

I shall have to think of a name for my spare month and add it in at the right time so that we are all in a similar timeframe

This week i`ve baked some twinks and also the delicious marmalade cake that someone posted, i`m not 100% sure that i remember who it was but Jolaaled your name springs to mind so thanks very much for posting the recipe

Halfway through adding the ingredients i discovered that the jar of marmalade that i had was actually a jar of plum jam so i used that instead and it was lovely.

I`m off to re-write my meal planner as i`ve swapped so many days around i`m losing track. Its working well which is the main thing

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon
    • laineyc
    • By laineyc 2nd Feb 11, 12:20 PM
    • 907 Posts
    • 5,215 Thanks
    laineyc
    I have had a busy morning. Still no work because 3 boys off sick. I was at open monring for local 6th form with eldest DS. Since then I have been baking and making chicken stock and spicy lentil soup. I have cheese to grate and breadcrumbs to make. I was planning a NSD but fancy a cheeky wee Shiraz with dinner. If the whim is still with me later, I will give in to temptation. The wine from our local shop is very reasonable.
    GC 2011 Feb 626.89/450 NSD3/7 March 531.26/450 April 495.99/500 NSD 0/7 May 502.79/500
    June 511.99/480 July 311.56/480
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 2nd Feb 11, 12:28 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    ROTFLMAO! They came in two bags, one @ 31p and the other 38p. Oh! I know what to do with them all right, we are gonnie eat em!!!
    When I posted asking for help I was looking for inspiration, and storage advice, (us city chicks don't know much about these things.) I planted an apple tree a few years back. Its a good size now and is starting to bear fruit, so I was hoping to learn how to store apples properly so I wont waste them

Tart tatin is a family favourite (I got a proper dish for it a few xmases ago.) And we have a baby who LOVES apple puree, a family who loves apple sauce, crumble.
    Originally posted by Mothership
    Mothership there are quite a few recipes using apples in the recipe section at the front of this thread (in the cakes/desserts bit and also in there is a spiced apple chutney you might like to try ?) Just go to the very front of this thread and after all the list of balances/names you come to the recipes.
    Re apple puree, my DS loved that too, any fruit that was looking close to ready he got pureed up lol!
    You might also see if you could find an apple sauce recipe somewhere!
    I think normal apples are usable in most recipes where Bramley are asked for, but you might just add less sugar ?
    Regarding storing, as I said, somewhere cool and dark is best, and I think someone else mentioned brown paper ?
    HTH
    PS I was born and brought up near Glasgow and lived in the southside for a while, so know all about city chicks (you can take the lass ootta Glesga but you cannae take Glesga oot the lass ?) x

ETA I wasn't suggesting you should not buy them if you have use for them, it was just the original 'HELP' that made me think perhaps you thought you had overdone it!
    Last edited by OrkneyStar; 02-02-2011 at 2:07 PM.
    • runnerbean17
    • By runnerbean17 2nd Feb 11, 1:35 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 2,498 Thanks
    runnerbean17
    Well I think I'm doing quite well but I did go food shopping last night - in search of bargains and there was bot all I also went food shopping today. Have yet to add it all up so will post later this evening BUT I am only spending in cash and I am only buying food at the min (rather than chucking in every "good bargain" I see )
    So think I'm getting through my Feb budget already but it is my first time also haven't managed any NSD yet
    Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend...

• scotsaver

Maybe I could freeze some to keep them away from prying fingers. Does anyone freeze cakes or biscuits successfully? Any tips??
    Originally posted by slbhill
    slbhill - I've never frozen cakes before but I freeze Twinks Hobnobs cause when I make them I get about 50 from the recipe which I then bag up into bags of 10 and they have always frozen well, just take them out the morning that you want them and they are still just as yummy as on the first day.

Originally posted by Mothership
    Mothership - well done on the haul of Apples, I too would have bought that amount at that price - too much of a bargain to let go. I made some Cucumber and Apple chutney in the Autumn, put some in a friend's Xmas Hamper and she has already had another Jar since then as she says it's really yummy - will look for the recipe for you and post later. We have an Apple tree in the Garden and if we have a glut I sometimes cook into puree and freeze in tubs which I can then use through the coming months in puds etc.

I've updated my total with spends from yesterday, a NSD today, spent this morning up at the Allotment to keep me away from temptation. I've planted up some Garlic, never grown it before but as I've got the whole plot ready for this year I want to grow things I've not grown before and want to make sure I use all the available space too.

Tonight is a meat-free night so making Calzones and will serve it with some Salad.

Will pop back later with the Chutney recipe.

Just checked my little book, Chutney recipe was from the Allotment website, here's the link:-http://www.allotment.org.uk/recipe/7/vals-recipe-for-cucumber-and-apple-chutney/
    Last edited by scotsaver; 02-02-2011 at 2:38 PM. Reason: Chutney recipe Link
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

350Posts Today

4,616Users online

Martin's Twitter