Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge 24th Jan 11 at 3:50 PM
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the second Grocery Challenge of 2011

This is my first time starting the thread so EEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK! It's a bit scary.

Pink, you're not going to shout at me are you? Just thought I would have try to help you out and have a bash at it myself this month. Credit where it's due Pink - this thing has pickled me brain!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your January budget, then keep on posting in the January 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month. Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 28-01-2011 at 8:44 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 8
    • never too old
    • By never too old 30th Jan 11, 5:17 PM
    • 2,930 Posts
    • 31,057 Thanks
    never too old
    Oh, thanks, I will do that! So, basically, I boil the beetroot, I wait until soft, let it cool and peel it. I cut it into pieces and add salt and vinegar. Then refrigerate. Is that right? Anything else I should add for a beetroot salad? That sounds great, I can leave it done for tomorrow
    Originally posted by martafdz
    i dont normally add salt ( but thats not saying its not correct)
    2019 in 2019 challenge no 18
    1% challenge no 70
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge

15072.71 / 2019
    0%/100%
    • Spiggle
    • By Spiggle 30th Jan 11, 5:25 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 14,202 Thanks
    Spiggle
    has anyone seen a cheaper place to buy Senseo coffee pods?

we spend at least 7 a month on these, but wouldnt be without our machine as it gets used multiple times per day.

best we have found is A*da 20 mug size pods at 3.62

thanks!
    Originally posted by prettypaula
    Hi prettypaula,

I just had a look on Am*z*n and the best I could see there was a four x 18 pods set for 14.65 but didn't look at the postage costs. A G**gle search turned up loads of links. Have you tried B*g Br*nds 4 L*ss? It might be worth a look.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013
    • cutiepieabf
    • By cutiepieabf 30th Jan 11, 5:30 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 3,561 Thanks
    cutiepieabf
    have any of you had a look for lynx in home bargains or pound shops?

im sure ive seen it, also wilkinsons might be worth a go, everythings cheaper in wilkos!
    Originally posted by prettypaula
    i know they have lynx in savers - not sure how much tho. and i think ive seen it in home bargains.
    DFBX2016 #160 - 3550/8800

DFBX2017 #160 - 0/11,378

0/7807 CapOne (0% PAID) 0/2776 Tesco (0% PAID)
    820/820 HSBC OD (100% PAID) 0/795 HSBC M/C (0% PAID)
  • prettypaula
    thanks spigs, think i resigned to it being one area we probably cant cut down! oh well! we dont drink alcohol so one vice is ok i suppose
    DFW - Debt Free Date July 2013, LBM Oct 2011

Total Debt Sept 2011 23,708.39
    Paid so far 2,383.91
    Current Debt 21,560.56

• scotsaver
    Thanks!!!!!

how long does it last after boiled? how much vinegar do I put? any vinegar? I have balsamic vinegar or rice vinegar only! I have never tasted the beetroot roasted but now it is a bit late since my roast only needs 15 more minutes and it is done. Could I get the recipe anyway? Pleaze? I am boiling the beetroots, the water has gone directly pink since one of them a bit peeled. What do I do when soft? Cut in chunks and put in vinegar? Is that how they do beetroot salad?
    Originally posted by martafdz
    Chocolate Beetroot Cake:- 30g Cocoa Powder, 115g Plain Flour, 1 and half tsp Baking Powder, Pinch of Salt, 170g Caster Sugar, 240ml Oil, 1tsp Vanilla Essence, 3 Beaten eggs, 125g Grated Beetroot, 90g Dark Chocolate Chopped. Mix all the ingredients together, pour into an 8" Cake tin and bake at 180 degrees for 30 mins or until skewer comes out clean.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• Trinny
    Hi Zippy - thanks for starting Feb's GC so early

Can i aim for 70 this month - Single adult with hungry cat ATM and still trying to work out what my target should be as used to couple spend of 150 pm.

Tried for 120 last month and ended up declaring 73 ish so trying to go for 70 in Feb.

Best Wishes all

Trin
    "Not everything that COUNTS can be counted; and not everything that can be counted COUNTS"
    GC - May 39.47/55. June 47.20/50. July 38.44/50
    NSD - May 16/17. June 16/17. July 14/17
    No new toiletries til stash used up challenge - start date 01/2010 - still going!
    2 Savers Club member No 93 - getting ready for Christmas 2011
    • looie
    • By looie 30th Jan 11, 6:15 PM
    • 700 Posts
    • 5,740 Thanks
    looie
    Hi, can you put me down for my usual 100 for February please ?

I've had a good start to the year I just hope it continues
  • Mothership
    GC Spend
    I used my last two M+S Vouchers

1 for my GC spent 20.60 got 34.24 worth of goods.
    2 Steak pies @ 1 ea
    2 BBQ chicken wings 2.49 ea
    2 Rump Steaks @ 5 ea (For Freezer 1 cut into strips for stir fry's)
    1 Haddock Gratin @ 6.49
    1 Pot And Leek bake 2.49
    1 Bottle Cotes Gasgoin 5.49

Cooking tonight LAMB CHOPS from the Freezer. Really looking forward to the month of FEB, all ready stocked up raring to go.

2nd Purse
    Used 1 of the above mentioned vouchers Got 42.01 worth of goods for 21.00.
    Red Pepper 1.67+ Cucumber 1.25 2 for 2
    Reduced Xmas pudding 50p PP 1
    3 Chocolate Deserts 2.99
    2 BBQ Chicken wings @ 2.49 ea
    Fish and chips 6.99
    Garlic Mushrooms 1.99
    New Zealand lamb Shoulder (cooked for Freezer)
    2 Packs Chicken with ginger and lime (cooked in oven with lamb for freezer).
    1 Bottle Cotes Gasgoin 5.49

THE ABOVE PURCHASE WILL EARN THE 2nd PURSE 21

To avoid clogging up the board any 2nd Purse purchases will be listed like above. And I will reply personally to any questions by PM.
    I think if you are posting on the GC to put any remarks etc about the 2nd purse will be ok.

It would be good if we list what we buy as that way the others on GC or 2nd purse, who may have missed a bargain might benefit.
    1st Purse 114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse 100
    Fridge Freezer 300 3rd Purse /290.94
  • mummy2mygirls
    Hi can you please put me down for 300 for the mth of feb - its for 2 adults, 4 little ones and a dog and includes all food, baby milk, toiletries, cleaning bits dog food etc.....
    Wanted to only spend 250 in Jan as was a tight mth but didnt do great and the mth isnt really over just yet!! Ohwell. Feb will be better
    GC: Nov: 60.22/450 Oct: 338.48/450, July: 363.05/450, June 447.98/500
    2 savers No68: 104/100

mummy to: 8yr, 5yr, 3yr, 2yr, 1yr. No6 Due Mar 2013 My world.
  • salski
    Hiya all! This month please can I be put down for 280! Last month we came in around and about on budget, so this month I want to stick to the same. I also will have my baby this month! Hospital food is free! Hehe
    Good luck all x
    Loan finished Sep 2010 - HSBC CC - WAS 750 now 0! Natwest CC - WAS 1600 now 100 - Overdraughts to be worked on! WILL be debt free by mid 2011!!!
    2000 Saved so far for maternity leave - Our baby girl arrived valentines day! Elsie Ann - WELCOME
    Sealed pot challenge number 4 - number 1167 - Last day smoking: 8/1/2011
  • skyvicky123
    Hi all,

Bloody Costco has blown my good spending control this week! I haven't been really bad as have bought lots of cheap items I can stockpile and still think I will be on target for the month just that it my head I am working with a weekly budget which luckily starts again on Tuesday.

I bought:

Toilet rolls x 48 = 16.50 ( = 1.38 per 4 pack which saves loads compared to T*sco brand)
    Costco's own laundry detergent - 400 washes!! 14.65
    Bag of chocs (not technically an essential and certainly won't be stockpiling these (be surprised if they survive the night!) 2.94
    Aquafresh toothpaste 12 x 100ml 7.19 = 0.59 per tube
    Pancetta 3.95
    F/range eggs x 18 2.89
    Rotisserie chicken 2.00
    800g tub Ovaltine 3.39
    Tray 12 cans chopped toms 2.99

All costs include VAT where applicable

All things I will use, but none which were on my list! I only went in for puppy food, and they didn't have it!

Also DD has chickenpox (don't worry I didn't drag her out to Costco, she stayed at home with OH!!) so have spent a small fortune on various "miracle treatments (none of which seem to make the slightest difference!

So all in all I have spent a whopping 130.75 this week rather than the 100 I had planned, but due to staying in I allocated the eating out budget to the Costco stockpiling incident so actually I am under by 9.25!

Now technically I could get away with only buying basics like fruit and milk next week but is that likely...???!! I will see what I can manage.
    Last edited by skyvicky123; 30-01-2011 at 7:15 PM. Reason: crap maths!
    Staring point of debt 23,343
    12245 4/7/11
  • skyvicky123
    Salski,

Hospital food...Yes free but disgusting! Bet you're excited though now!!
    Staring point of debt 23,343
    12245 4/7/11
  • madkoi
    Can someone explain about 2nd purse things? I dont really understand!

Since registering to this forum ( I am a newbee!) I have -
    1) Made Carrot & coriander soup & put some in the freezer to take to work next week,
    2) Made some pizza dough & froze that too.
    3) Kept all my receipts to keep a conscious eye on what I spend for the monthly Grocery Challenge.
    4) Posted my budget on Debt free wannabe & looked at areas where I can reduce my outgoings!
    5) Lowered my phone bill by 5 per month by changing the tariff!

God I love this site! A little addicted maybe.......
    FRUGAL WANNABE! SAVING FOR AUSTRALIA 2015!

May 2013 Vegas Wedding baby!
    • fedupandskint
    • By fedupandskint 30th Jan 11, 7:30 PM
    • 10,351 Posts
    • 97,525 Thanks
    fedupandskint
    Just wanted to say I made one of the sausage casserole recipes from the recipe index (the one with paprika and dried chilli) and it was lovely. Many thanks!
    final unsecured debt to repay currently 8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
  • martafdz
    I can't remember who said that crisps were too expensive sometimes but Asd@ has an offer of 2 packets of 24 Walker crisps (so a total of 48 bags) for 5, which is around 11p each bag.
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • bertiebots
    Wow ..its started already!!! Ok can I please be put down for 180 for this month. Thats for me and my 3 little beans (although not so little really my eldest is 5"10) 2 dogs , 2 cats and all my cleaning stuff!

I have just done an online shop for Tuesday with Sainsbugs and it totals 55 and is my big shop. The next 3 shops should just be top ups! I will update when I get my actual bill
    JAN GC- 155.77 out of 200 FEB GC 197.31 out of 180. MARCH GC - out of 200
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 30th Jan 11, 7:35 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    When I was last in a@da, I got some whoopsied parsley. Should've been 1.17 for 100g, and I paid 15p! Just finished cutting it up and freezing it. I LOVE parsley sauce! It was enough for 4 bags, so I'm really chuffed with that.

NSD today, although really tempted to go to sains. Haven't been there for about 3 weeks now! Managed not to though, which means my declaration for jan is still intact.

Something is going on in my house which hasn't happened in years. I only have one toilet roll left in the cupboard! Look at me living on the edge! I've been waiting til the Feb budget comes into force to get some, along with a few other bits. Sounds sad, but I'm really quite proud of myself, as I'm very much a stockpiling hoarder!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan 87.97/100 Feb 0/100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • Bethfly
    Hi all, well i've attempted this month to just do one big shop to last the whole month!! Went shopping today and spent 81 of my 100 budget!!! Which means I have 19 left for fresh weeklies, technically 6.30 a week!! Should be possible shouldn't it??? Think i'll be digging out the breadmaker and searching for cheap fruit and veg!!
    Going to leave all my cash cards (and credit card) at home so i'm not tempted by ANYTHING!!!
    Here goes....
    Jan NSD 3/31
    Feb NSD 4/28
    Feb GC 95/100
    Proud wife and mummy to 2 trying to keep the house together
    and tackle the debt mountain!!!
    • laloopi
    • By laloopi 30th Jan 11, 7:50 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 1,036 Thanks
    laloopi
    Despite definitely coming in way over budget for Jan (not declaring yet as there's still tomorrow), I'm going to shoot for the same target again in Feb and try much harder!

So please put me down for 250.
    Must get organised and rejoin grocery challenge!
    • MrsGSR
    • By MrsGSR 30th Jan 11, 7:50 PM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 5,311 Thanks
    MrsGSR
    Yeah can I be signed up again please? 160 for the month. We came around 20 under budget in the end but still want to keep it as 160 cos that in itself is saving us S a month!

Also wanted to say we both enjoyed doing the challenge in January, made us feel much more in control and we have eaten some really nice meals, the sausage and cannalini bean hot pot from the original jan thread was especially yummy, balsamic beef for tomorrow
    Squirrelling away in September No 33

It's not about the money, it's about financial freedom, being in control of it and living in the natural world and not a material world
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,746Posts Today

7,961Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Mr_S_David: @MartinSLewis I don?t have a lot, but feel I?m more fortunate than a lot so hit the HAVE button, it?s not rocket science or?

• It's fascinating how some seem almost angry with me for "not defining haves and have-nots." Yet that's not the p? https://t.co/2gC22t7YAJ

• RT @melanie__King: @MartinSLewis ?Haves? to me isn?t financial or materialistic, it?s mainly about freedom of mind, not being oppressed and?

• Follow Martin