Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge 24th Jan 11 at 3:50 PM
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the second Grocery Challenge of 2011

This is my first time starting the thread so EEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK! It's a bit scary.

Pink, you're not going to shout at me are you? Just thought I would have try to help you out and have a bash at it myself this month. Credit where it's due Pink - this thing has pickled me brain!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your January budget, then keep on posting in the January 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month. Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 28-01-2011 at 8:44 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 7
  • ~moneysavingnovice~
    Could I have £335 for Feb please. To include all food, alcohol, entertainment, toiletries, household stuff, dog food, plus any spends OH and I have on our week away.

This will be the first month we come in on budget dammit!
    Mortgage£148,725 Student loan£13,050 HSBC loan£12,221
    AprGC:£/£320
  • martafdz
    have any of you had a look for lynx in home bargains or pound shops?

im sure ive seen it, also wilkinsons might be worth a go, everythings cheaper in wilkos!
    Originally posted by prettypaula
    Lynx is only called Lynx in the UK: in other European countries it is called Axe. You often see this in pound shops and probably think it is a cheap copy - it isn't, it's exactly the same product. HTH
    Originally posted by ChocClare

I was going to say this. It is Axe in Spain too. I have not seen it in my £land and HomeBargains when I went last week, I will have to keep looking!
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • shinydriver
    Thank you Mrs MCawber for adding me already.

I have pretty much menu planned for the next 3 weeks and haven't stepped foot in the supermarket for 6 days and will be doing my weekly shop tomorrow. I'm using up freezer & cupboard stuff and only buying what I need rather than for the sake of it. I feel quite optimistic
    New to MSE

April grocery challenge £200

March GC lost count
    February GC £216/£200 (1st month)
    2 Adults (one Weightwatcher ), 2 Children aged 2 & 4
  • prettypaula
    has anyone seen a cheaper place to buy Senseo coffee pods?

we spend at least £7 a month on these, but wouldnt be without our machine as it gets used multiple times per day.

best we have found is A*da 20 mug size pods at £3.62

thanks!
    DFW - Debt Free Date July 2013, LBM Oct 2011

Total Debt Sept 2011 £23,708.39
    Paid so far £2,383.91
    Current Debt £21,560.56

• wssla00
    Afternoon all

Just made some bottom of the cupboard bars ready for next week and defrosting the mince for a meatloaf for later. A NSD for me, and have been very productive. All the washing done and all dried and ready for the cupboards.

Going to make some bits and bobs for lunches next week- not sure what to make though- perhaps some pasta dishes and maybe a couple of soups for me as I have heating facilities at work.

Anyway, I best be off. Going to finish off some baking- perhaps some scones for the rest of the week and maybe defrost a lemon drizzle cake from the freezer to have with some custard later
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 30th Jan 11, 3:32 PM
    • 4,842 Posts
    • 58,667 Thanks
    sistercas
    just made some bread which has collapsed still tastes ok though and ive made some choc chip muffins for packing up tomorrow that stick out to one side , the DD's have named them kn0b muffins !
    i'm going to stop baking today in case of any more mishaps
  • prettypaula
    Afternoon all

Just made some bottom of the cupboard bars ready for next week and defrosting the mince for a meatloaf for later. A NSD for me, and have been very productive. All the washing done and all dried and ready for the cupboards.

Going to make some bits and bobs for lunches next week- not sure what to make though- perhaps some pasta dishes and maybe a couple of soups for me as I have heating facilities at work.

Anyway, I best be off. Going to finish off some baking- perhaps some scones for the rest of the week and maybe defrost a lemon drizzle cake from the freezer to have with some custard later
    Originally posted by wssla00
    please elaborate

Paid so far £2,383.91
    Current Debt £21,560.56

• DonnaMarie
    • By DonnaMarie 30th Jan 11, 3:47 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 468 Thanks
    DonnaMarie
    I've not done this before but desperate to get more organised before I up my hours at work. Menu planning is the main thing and tha added bonus of saving some money will make everyone smile.

Please put me down for £400 to cover all household groceries starting tomorrow. Our family is me, OH, 3 sons and a dog.
  • wssla00
    LOL bottom of the cupboard bars are bars where I add loads of stuff I am running out of. So the basic is the following:

2oz butter
    a good squidge of golden syrup
    3oz sugar
    3 oz oats
    3 oz raisins

then whatever is left in the packets so today I used
    1 oz rice crispies
    3 oz seeds
    2 oz mini smarties

You can use anything as long as they add up to 6oz (not including the raisins and oats)

Then you just melt the butter sugar and golden syrup down, pour into the dry goods and combine and then flatten down into a flapjack/brownie pan. Bake on a 180 for about 25 minutes until they are golden brown.

Cool and then cut into squares enjoy!
    Last edited by wssla00; 30-01-2011 at 3:53 PM.
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
    • pepsi-kins
    • By pepsi-kins 30th Jan 11, 3:51 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 1,984 Thanks
    pepsi-kins
    Hi All,
    As my signature shows, spent quite a lot this month, as there is just the two of us, but lots spent on spaves, so hopefully it will all equal out in a few months. I haven't been sticking to the menu plan, but have been using up the things I already have in, rather than buying more. I will sit down later and menu plan for next month, and also do a shopping list, as I have £12 off a £60 spend at sainsbugs, which I may use later in the week.

Its good to know that Axe is the same as Lynx, I will try to persuade DH to give it a go, but I will put money on him saying, it's not as good as Lynx. I think its all in the mind - the power of advertising and all that!

Have a good week everyone x
    2018 G/C £2951.61/£2250
    Vouchers used £553.23
    Extra money £250
    2019 G/C £2562.28
    Vouchers: £213.33
  • martafdz
    AAAAAAHHHH!!! I was convinced that I had two swedes from the A&C box... and now I was going to peel them they have turned out to be beetroots!!! LOL That is how much I know my vegetables lol. Anyway, one of them has a bit of the skin already peeled... what can I do with them? I was makiing a roast but OH said that he wanted swede but no beetrot. Can I do some salad and keep it for tomorrow? What can I do with it? Please help! I do not want to throw the one I have 1/4 peeled away but I never cooked one of this and I have no clue what can I do with it. I like beetroot salad but not sure how to do it or if it can be done with the chunk I peeled already there. Silly me thinking it was an unwashed swede/turnip...lol

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • scotsaver
    AAAAAAHHHH!!! I was convinced that I had two swedes from the A&C box... and now I was going to peel them they have turned out to be beetroots!!! LOL That is how much I know my vegetables lol. Anyway, one of them has a bit of the skin already peeled... what can I do with them? I was makiing a roast but OH said that he wanted swede but no beetrot. Can I do some salad and keep it for tomorrow? What can I do with it? Please help! I do not want to throw the one I have 1/4 peeled away but I never cooked one of this and I have no clue what can I do with it. I like beetroot salad but not sure how to do it or if it can be done with the chunk I peeled already there. Silly me thinking it was an unwashed swede/turnip...lol
    Originally posted by martafdz
    martafdz - beetroot is lovely roasted, it's my favourite way of having it. I also use it grated in a choc beetroot cake, let me know if you want the recipe.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• never too old
    • By never too old 30th Jan 11, 4:30 PM
    • 2,958 Posts
    • 31,309 Thanks
    never too old
    or you can go the traditional way and boil it with the remainder of skin on until soft,peal and slice and eat with salad or pickle it in vinegar.my big brother boils them and then just eats them like an apple.
    £2019 in 2019 challenge no 18
    1% challenge no 70
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge

£1993.52 / 2019
    0%/100%
  • prettypaula
    LOL bottom of the cupboard bars are bars where I add loads of stuff I am running out of. So the basic is the following:

2oz butter
    a good squidge of golden syrup
    3oz sugar
    3 oz oats
    3 oz raisins

then whatever is left in the packets so today I used
    1 oz rice crispies
    3 oz seeds
    2 oz mini smarties

You can use anything as long as they add up to 6oz (not including the raisins and oats)

Then you just melt the butter sugar and golden syrup down, pour into the dry goods and combine and then flatten down into a flapjack/brownie pan. Bake on a 180 for about 25 minutes until they are golden brown.

Cool and then cut into squares enjoy!
    do you reckon i could get away with melted apricot jam and sweetener instead? (trying to lose the pounds lol)

thankyouu for this though!

Paid so far £2,383.91
    Current Debt £21,560.56

• rosieben
    LOL bottom of the cupboard bars are bars where I add loads of stuff I am running out of. ...
    Great recipe wssla, its in the index now
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • esmer
    • By esmer 30th Jan 11, 4:55 PM
    • 1,440 Posts
    • 9,044 Thanks
    esmer
    Just did my January budget and im under. So I am going to stick with my 40.00 a week please.

please put me in for 40.00 per week for my Feb challenge pretty please
    Saving 2.00 coins
    Grocerys set to 40.00 pw
    Being Thrifty
  • martafdz
    martafdz - beetroot is lovely roasted, it's my favourite way of having it. I also use it grated in a choc beetroot cake, let me know if you want the recipe.
    Originally posted by scotsaver
    or you can go the traditional way and boil it with the remainder of skin on until soft,peal and slice and eat with salad or pickle it in vinegar.my big brother boils them and then just eats them like an apple.
    Originally posted by l.m.hart
    Thanks!!!!!

how long does it last after boiled? how much vinegar do I put? any vinegar? I have balsamic vinegar or rice vinegar only! I have never tasted the beetroot roasted but now it is a bit late since my roast only needs 15 more minutes and it is done. Could I get the recipe anyway? Pleaze? I am boiling the beetroots, the water has gone directly pink since one of them a bit peeled. What do I do when soft? Cut in chunks and put in vinegar? Is that how they do beetroot salad?

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
    • never too old
    • By never too old 30th Jan 11, 5:04 PM
    • 2,958 Posts
    • 31,309 Thanks
    never too old
    Thanks!!!!!

how long does it last after boiled? how much vinegar do I put? any vinegar? I have balsamic vinegar or rice vinegar only! I have never tasted the beetroot roasted but now it is a bit late since my roast only needs 15 more minutes and it is done. Could I get the recipe anyway? Pleaze? I am boiling the beetroots, the water has gone directly pink since one of them a bit peeled. What do I do when soft? Cut in chunks and put in vinegar? Is that how they do beetroot salad?
    the vinegar would preserve it and it will last yonks, i put in vinegar once cooled but peal it once its cooled enough to handle as the skin comes off easier.cant imagine it really matters what type of vinegar you use but im sure someone on here knows better than me.
    £2019 in 2019 challenge no 18
    1% challenge no 70
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge

£1993.52 / 2019
    0%/100%
  • martafdz
    Oh, thanks, I will do that! So, basically, I boil the beetroot, I wait until soft, let it cool and peel it. I cut it into pieces and add salt and vinegar. Then refrigerate. Is that right? Anything else I should add for a beetroot salad? That sounds great, I can leave it done for tomorrow

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • martafdz
    Lemon Madeira Cake (easy and cheap)
    Again, I found this recipe online, I have tried it and I am happy with the result so here it goes!

Ingredients

175g butter/margarine (I used I can't believe.. and it was fine)
    175g sugar (recipe said caster sugar but I used normal sugar and a bit of icing sugar since I run out before the 175g, and it also was ok lol)
    3 eggs
    250g self rising flour
    1 lemon

Method

1. Mix the butter and the sugar together. Stir until you get a creamy paste.

2. Add one egg (whole, no need to separate) and one tablespoon of flour. Mix well. Repear again with the rest of the eggs, adding a tbsp of flour each time too.

3. Add the juice of the lemon and the rest of the flour. Mix well.

4. Bake at 180C in the centre of the oven for 1h - 1h and 15min. My oven is fan assisted and it was ready in 45 min so check if the centre is done with a toothpick every now and then. In the recipe it said after 25 min you could also add some thin citron peels on top and put back in the oven, I have not done that.

5. Let it cool for 10 minutes before taking it out of the tray (I used a round one). Then remove and put in a plate to cool down completely.

Well, mine is still warm but there is a quarter missing! Really nice and the after taste is great (lemony mmmm)

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

911Posts Today

6,793Users online

Martin's Twitter