Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge 24th Jan 11 at 3:50 PM
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the second Grocery Challenge of 2011

This is my first time starting the thread so EEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK! It's a bit scary.

Pink, you're not going to shout at me are you? Just thought I would have try to help you out and have a bash at it myself this month. Credit where it's due Pink - this thing has pickled me brain!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your January budget, then keep on posting in the January 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month. Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 28-01-2011 at 8:44 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 5
    • Mrs Toast
    • By Mrs Toast 29th Jan 11, 4:27 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 3,295 Thanks
    Mrs Toast
    MrsToast, I mainly used real nappies on DS but as he was getting near toilet training time, sometimes at night, on holiday or if I was ill I used Lidl, Tesco, Boots, Huggies or Pampers, and found the Lidl ones, certainly then (about 2 yrs ago) to be comparable to leading Brands!
    xxx
    Originally posted by OrkneyStar
    Thanks OrkneyStar. I'm hoping that they are good. Don't need any until maybe another week but thought it's worth trying for 3.99.
  • kitschy
    Hi - am going to try and get back on the wagon. Please can I be put down for 65 this month. That's for me, 2 cats and includes all groceries and toiletries.

Thank you
    Sainsbury's Savings Card 3.55
    March Grocery Challenge 0/60
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 29th Jan 11, 5:21 PM
    • 3,412 Posts
    • 34,917 Thanks
    XSpender
    First shopping of the month done yesterday and I manage to cover Mr M, Mr A and Mr S. I was aiming for 60 but spent 68 and I am really pleased with what I got, my savings added up to 35! The only thing not on the list was some sausages (next weeks list) and some oven chips (not on the list) to make a quick tea as we were running late and a half price quorn shep pie as I love them

For his amount I got beans for my aug and june boxes, about 4 months of coffee, enough bread flour for the month, 60 d/w tablets, 2 weeks sandwich turkey and 4 pizza nights worth of pepperoni. Well that was until DH ate 1 weeks worh of turkey and a pizza worth of pepperoni rummaging in the fridge last night!! Good job I had froze the rest. Bread and butter for his lunches next week

I do need some spuds though so I may need to get these tomorrow as I had not realised I had so few left.

I have made pizza dough with the A$da flour for the first time tonight so I will see how it turns out.

Off to try and catch up with the end of Jan and Febs threads.
    October Grocery Challenge - 277.74/220
    • CherryPie
    • By CherryPie 29th Jan 11, 7:00 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 5,349 Thanks
    CherryPie
    I am making a ham and cheese pie with the gammon left over from the joint last night.
    Originally posted by laineyc
    This sounds like something I'd enjoy, any chance of a recipe??

Haven't done a big shop yet, but needed some essentials, so another wee spend of 6.66

Creme eggs are essentials aren't they????

Just had my burns supper (Only a few days late!!) Justified the 1.50 on a ready meal by it being patriotic. And If I bought a whole Haggis, I'd be eating it this time next week!!

I've got a Sun Holiday booked for May, so I've started buying things for my "caravan bag" much like peoples January box. I include these in my GC as they are groceries that I'll use while I'm away. I'm not going til May, but things like tea, coffee sugar, loo rolls etc can be stored just now. So glad of these Sun Holidays as I can't really afford an abroad break just now. Went on 3 last year and it's just nice to get away from the normality of home. Even took my old Mum away for a few days. She's my Grans carer 24/7. You would have thought I'd given her a blank cheque when I told her we were going away for a few days on our own

Waffled on for long enough!

Have a good weekend everyone

CherryPie x
    Last edited by CherryPie; 29-01-2011 at 7:13 PM.
    My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - 46.73 / 100.00
  • nattyt
    Oh rubbish once again i have gone over....haven't added it all up yet but i know i have so i'm going to put myself down for 250 in the vain hope that i might actually do it. NO actually i HAVE to do it. Financially i've got to. I'm starting my month from 1st and i shouldn't need anything but milk until next weekend hopefully as all stocked up. Also have no kids next weekend which makes an enormous difference. Going to do an online shop for week on monday with a view to doing monthly meal plan so don't have to step in the supermarket again til the next month!! Will get fruit and veg from market and milk and bread from shop over road. At the moment we are literally eating out of the freezer and cupboards to use it all up. Sick of buying things when perfectly good stuff in cupboards etc that can be used!! Wish me luck in keeping under! You all do so well. x
    If music be the food of love then play on
    "No matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow". ღ ~Maya Angelou
    Doing it for my kids. For a better secure life. x
  • helen jelly
    Evening everyone

Went to MrA and L1dl today and spent 46 but did get some more bulk buy things [pasta, toilet roll, chops, basmati rice and hot dogs.

Re 2nd purse - I think that as long as we are posting about GC then including purse info should be ok

Bought a bargain in MrA today - they had car oil reduced to 1 for 1ltr bottles - as my car has expensive tastes we bought 18 bottkes for my car and DH's car.

2nd Purse
    I had 4 in the second purse but managed to spend 29.90 on bulk buys, so have decided that that apart from some coffee [if its on offer] not to get anymore bulk buys this month and start paying back to the purse as I really want this to work.

Have a nice evening everyone
    Welcome to all the new people

Remember - we don't fail, we look, learn and move on

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
  • prettypaula
    hello everyone

i have just done my first feb order with A*DA online, through my supermarket, using this months 10 from the purse (MOTHERSHIP!!) on persil non bio liquid 85 wash on offer at 5 per bottle usually 14.99, so bought two of these. thats this months stock up item i suspect this will last us 6 months or more. so mothership using this example... explain when i add more cash to the purse please?

will declare full spends when delivered on monday, but i used a list and checked the prices, nearest to it was T*sco, a whopping 45 more expensive!!!
    DFW - Debt Free Date July 2013, LBM Oct 2011

Total Debt Sept 2011 23,708.39
    Paid so far 2,383.91
    Current Debt 21,560.56

• angelaf
    • By angelaf 29th Jan 11, 8:26 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 2,140 Thanks
    angelaf
    Can you put me down for 80 for the month please I really need to get a handle on this and lose some weight.
    • jovi20
    • By jovi20 29th Jan 11, 8:27 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 862 Thanks
    jovi20
    Can you please put jovi20 down for 260 target for Febuary challenge please. (just posted my target, in january thread aswell, as not sure which you prefered)

I am aiming to reduce my supermarket shops down to 3 this month, first is being delivered on Tuesday, second one around the 10th and then the third around the 18th. I find the less opportunities I have to overspend the better. Will stock up on everything we need then hopefully I won't even need to go to local shop. Starting to do my lists now. (Hubby can pick emergency items up on his way home, if needed). Being at home with baby means I don't get to town much as have cut back on driving, trying to save petrol aswell, as maternity wage is stopping altogether in febuary until I return to work at end May. So no excuse got lots of time to make some low cost meals.

Usually have delivery from Tesc*'s or As*a, but trying to get the three delivery points bonus from Tesc*'s before 14th feb, also use Tesc*'s credit card to pay, so get extra points from that. Also trying to convince hubby to get Tesc*'s credit card aswell. Got 49.00 in vouchers at the moment, but trying to keep them until they do the voucher exchange thing again as I missed it just before christmas. Anyone know how often they do it? will I have to wait till next December?

jovi20 x
    2015 TARGETS

Weight loss 12.5/112lb 18th feb -4.5lb, 25th feb -2.5lb, 4th mar -2.5, 11th Mar -3,

Savings 100 per month 300 /1200
    • NickJW
    • By NickJW 29th Jan 11, 8:54 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    Morning all,
    Next time I spend any grocery money should be in Feb (weekly shop 4/2) so will move over here now!
    Just a reminder, please put your budgets in red, and ideally bold, so MrsM can see them! Thanks
    Finally just to say I have been reading about this 2nd (and 3rd ?) purse idea (here, here and here), just to say I am not sure I could be bothered with all that . I prefer just to set a realistic budget which allows for a little stocking up on a certain item if need be, and run a reasonable store (where I have a use and replace policy). I keep my money for different budgets in envelopes in a small plastic holder in my bag and it works well, taking the weekly GC money into my purse as I need it! The 'purses' idea might well work for some of you, as it clearly does with Mothership , but if you are just starting with GC remember it can help to be very gentle on yourself, take baby steps and not try anything too complicated. Ok, just my tuppence worth, not meaning to put anything down!
    Originally posted by OrkneyStar
    Hi Zippy! Thanks for starting the new Feb thread. Also thanks to roseiben, MrsM and Pink as usual for keeping the thread afloat. Can you please put me down for another 135 this month. Jan isn't over yet, but I'm getting in for Feb so I get the email alerts through!

I agree with the purse thing - I have absolutely no doubt that it works for some people and it seems a great idea. I'm not that good at thinking that way though, so I know it won't work for me. I'm concerned that if too much of the thread is dedicated too much to one method of conducting the challenge, newbies may feel obliged to do this, when it may not work with their specific circumstances. Different things work for different people after all as we all know. . I hope that this doesn't offend - it's in no way intended to be so, and I LOVE the recipe ideas BTW Mothership!
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 46.05/130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent 1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent 1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011
  • ChocClare
    Please would you put me down for 340 again for February and we'll see if we can beat it roundly this time.

Thanks as always to zippychick, Mrs M, pink and rosieben for sorting this thread out for us
    Last edited by ChocClare; 29-01-2011 at 10:43 PM.
  • martafdz
    Meatballs Spanish style
    Ingredients

Meatballs (homemade or from packet)
    Olive oil
    1-2 carrots or a tin of carrots (baby carrots or sliced)
    1 big tomato or 2 small ones
    1 big onion
    1 red pepper
    Some frozen peas (1/2 a glass or more if you like them a lot)
    1 glass of white wine
    1 glass of beef stock, vegetable stock or just plain water

Method

1. Cover the bottom of a tall pan with olive oil and heat.

2. Add the onion, the red pepper and the carrots (all chopped finely).

3. Fry the vegetables in medium heat (they should go soft and not
    brown). If you see the onion turning brown, it is way too hot. It should go from white to yellow. The pepper should just go soft.

4. Add the tomato(s), grated (or chopped really well).

5. Add salt and a pinch of sugar (to kill the acidity of the tomato).

6. I leave it for about 10 min at medium heat stirring from time to time. In the meantime, I pan fry the meatballs so they brown and seal the juices. I put them aside whilst the vegetables are ready.

7. Add the glass of wine (any cheap one will do, or an opened old cava, around 200ml). Add also 1/2-1 glass of either water or stock. It all depends how thick you like the sauce. You can always start with 1/2 a glass and add water later on.

8. Add the meatballs and the frozen peas and leave to boil for 5 minutes. Then reduce the heat and leave for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

9. Prepare some rice during this time and enjoy! Also great with chips.

I did it tonight, I did too much sauce so I will freeze the sauce/vegetables leftover and next time I will only have to pan fry some meatballs and add them to this sauce!

I wanted to do the ones that my grandma used to do and I found the recipe online, it tasted the same!
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • Picklepud
    Can I please join again please, completely lost the plot in January but determined to get my spends on track this month... so can i be put down for 350 that is for 2 (One following Slimming world plan) adults 2 hungry teenagers 2 dogs a cat and some fish (they dont eat much)

I will be starting on 1st February Good luck everyone

and thanks for running this thread its great.
    Determined to do better
    • cutiepieabf
    • By cutiepieabf 29th Jan 11, 9:48 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 3,561 Thanks
    cutiepieabf
    Was hoping to last a few days before spending in Feb's budget, but bread & milk are essentials!

May not actually do a "big shop" this month. Even though I've been very organised and done a list, I don't actually "need" any of it.

And shock horror, I've done a meal plan! First one ever

OK, it may not be that organised as Wednesday is "freezer surprise"!!

But the rest of the days are actual food from the contents of my kitchen.

Hoping to get closer to my budget this month, good luck everyone

Originally posted by CherryPie

My Mum got so fed up of my Dad answering 'i dont know', 'i dont mind' or, 'surprise me' when she asked what he wanted for tea, that she resorted to labelling things in the freezer by those three names. it was so funny.
    DFBX2016 #160 - 3550/8800

DFBX2017 #160 - 0/11,378

0/7807 CapOne (0% PAID) 0/2776 Tesco (0% PAID)
    820/820 HSBC OD (100% PAID) 0/795 HSBC M/C (0% PAID)
    • cutiepieabf
    • By cutiepieabf 29th Jan 11, 9:57 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 3,561 Thanks
    cutiepieabf
    Mrs M please can you add me and my budget for Feb - 150.
    Thank you very much.

Went to BM yesterday to buy crisps and biscuits for lunches next couple of weeks. Came to 3.96 - added to sig.

I have now completed my next 4 weeks of menus based on what is in the cupboards and freezer and it doesnt look as though i am going to be spending much!! woo hoo!!

I know this was asked not long ago but not sure if it was answered - does anyone have any good recipes for making home made crisps?? or even vegetable crisps?
    thank you muchly and good luck everyone for Feb!!!
    DFBX2016 #160 - 3550/8800

DFBX2017 #160 - 0/11,378

0/7807 CapOne (0% PAID) 0/2776 Tesco (0% PAID)
    820/820 HSBC OD (100% PAID) 0/795 HSBC M/C (0% PAID)
  • martafdz

My Mum got so fed up of my Dad answering 'i dont know', 'i dont mind' or, 'surprise me' when she asked what he wanted for tea, that she resorted to labelling things in the freezer by those three names. it was so funny.
    Originally posted by cutiepieabf

OMG! That is hylarious!! Lol
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • rosieben

Creme eggs are essentials aren't they????

absolutely <<runs off to add cream eggs to the shopping list >>

I've got a Sun Holiday booked for May, so I've started buying things for my "caravan bag" much like peoples January box. I include these in my GC as they are groceries that I'll use while I'm away. I'm not going til May, but things like tea, coffee sugar, loo rolls etc can be stored just now. So glad of these Sun Holidays as I can't really afford an abroad break just now. Went on 3 last year and it's just nice to get away from the normality of home. Even took my old Mum away for a few days. She's my Grans carer 24/7. You would have thought I'd given her a blank cheque when I told her we were going away for a few days on our own
    Originally posted by CherryPie
    that's a really good idea, and how lovely for your mum to give her a holiday
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • rosieben
    martafdz, your meatball recipe is in the index, they look lush!
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • youngmummy
    hi all and good luck my feb grocery challange will start monday 31st of jan. a day early . good luck everyone xxxx
    (#80 save 12k in 2015) aim 10,000
    make 10 a day in 2015 261/4000
    emergency fund aim 100/1000
    1 a day for xmas 2015 0/365
    NSD feb 0/16
    feb GC 0/120
  • RachelS
    I agree that the Lidl nappies are great, however, Asda sell 2 big packs for 10 which actually works out slightly cheaper per nappy than the Lidl ones (at least for size 4 and 5). My Lidl also doesn't sell a size 4.5, so I go bigger.

I would say the Lidl ones are probably slightly better quality, but not in any way I'd really notice - they just feel a bit softer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,342Posts Today

7,845Users online

Martin's Twitter