Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Dec 10, 1:15 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    • 25th Dec 10, 1:15 AM
    25th Dec 10 at 1:15 AM
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2011, a new decade and a new beginning!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month and may I take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy New Year! Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-12-2010 at 9:09 AM.
Page 112
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 25th Jan 11, 4:28 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 8,701 Thanks
    minnie2
    mothership - what is the second purse idea? i appear to have missed that post!!
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • Mothership
    mothership - what is the second purse idea? i appear to have missed that post!!
    Originally posted by minnie2
    Page 107 2123 Any questions let me know.
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • redkids1972
    OK Im declaring my budget for jan as £255.46.
    I have found it difficult this week as I have started to run out of things yet Im reluctant to go and buy any more untill I really have to. I have my wage every 4 weeks so tomorrow I will be paid so will start my FEB gc tomorrow so can I be put down for
    • £220
    Its going to be tough again but I think it is doable my OH is good and we now make everything from scratch (except bread) he is in charge of cooking and I am in charge of shopping, it works well and kids aren't complaining.
    I have reduced my cat expenditure from £40 a month to £30 a month just by shopping around and using discount codes (10%) pets at home. Which only leaves £190 for us but I dont need any household things this month as I have been stocking up at M&S HALF price , voucher and 20% staff discount. Alcohol is still remaining from xmas so gunna tell OH he got to polish off that before I buy any more.
    I feel that meal planning has helped me so much in keeping me focused and help OH as he knows what to cook so this will be a permanent thing for me.:
    £190 after pet food is scary!!!!!!!!
    However Im gunna give it my best shot and will keep you all informed of my progress.
    On a positive note i am going to save the money Im saving which this month should be £180 into a pot till next xmas and then decide what to do with it should be a tidy sum
    New to comping 11/2/2013

Feb wins to date: 0lympic messenger bag, £100
    • NickJW
    • By NickJW 25th Jan 11, 4:36 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    £2.08 spent in Mr T today and £2.20 spent in Mr S. Have updated signature

You know what - I reckon I'll come under budget for once!
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 £46.05/£130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011
    • UnluckyT
    • By UnluckyT 25th Jan 11, 4:41 PM
    • 476 Posts
    • 1,317 Thanks
    UnluckyT
    Still got my £30 unspent.
    Get paid thursday (in 2 days) and would like to be put down for £40 for Feb please.
    • mongmoney
    • By mongmoney 25th Jan 11, 4:52 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    mongmoney
    So far under budget but I AM eating!
    Evening All,
    Just a quick update, as my updated sig states I am incredibly under budget this month. Thanks to my auntie for giving me meat mostly. She has always fed me, I'm skinny but not unhealthy, however she says she worries about me. Wonderful eh?!
    I'm going to leave out my cat food spends from now on and just concentrate on how much I buy for me. Frugal but never going without is the premise I use. My freezer still has lots in it so I'm going to try to eat out of it as far into Feb as I can. I look to all of you for your recipes and tips and am truly thankful for keeping me motivated.
    I worked out how current inflation would affect me, on the bbc site, and it came back at 5.4%. Couldn't get a savings account that will pay that so every penny must be closely guarded. Bulk buying on lots of items is an absolute must to keep overall costs down. Lets keep sharing news about deals.
    I can't declare yet, got a week to go.
    Mongy
    Jan GC £28-49/£120 NSD's 15/17
    Dec GC £90-90/£140 NSD's 17/18
    Storms make oaks take deeper root
  • scotsaver
    Hi everyone - another NSD today and still holding on to my £1.35 - only got tomorrow to survive now and not planning to leave the house tomorrow, want to get some baking done and have everything in that I need so should be another NSD and I will be under Budget.

Dinner tonight is Haggis, tatties and neeps - altough we live near London we don't forget our roots - no pudding needed as we will be full enough - off to start serving up now - have a good evening everyone.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• bella121984
    No worries, for some reason chorizo and chicken compliment each other. I tend to stick the chorizo in first and fry it a little, then remove, cook the chicken in same pan, and then add chorizo back just before adding cream and pasta. hth
    I think it can also be used in jambalaya, kind of similar to paella but not quite lol! I have used it on pizza too, in place of pepperoni!
    Originally posted by OrkneyStar
    Theres a great little mexican restaurant near us that puts chorizo in with their chicken fajitas...they are amazing
    January grocery challenge- £338.09/£350
    £365 in 365 days- £25
    January NSDs- 9
    Money made on ebay- £16.89
    • boysma
    • By boysma 25th Jan 11, 6:24 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 12,862 Thanks
    boysma
    Evening everyone,

3.88 today for cheese and biscuits for packed lunches. I am definitely going to go over my budget for this month as will have to replenish meat, fruit and veg on Friday but hopefully not by too much.

I have really enjoyed this challenge and hope to do better next month
    Payment A Day £15 (started 17/5/14)
    • kippers
    • By kippers 25th Jan 11, 6:28 PM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 6,035 Thanks
    kippers
    Hi all

NSD for me today.

Tonight we had fish in parsley sauce with roast carrots & parsnips, mash pots, swede and brussel tops....we have never had brussell tops before but i decided to try them as i had them at my allotment and my brussels are rubbish. I'd heard they were nice and they were. They tasted like cabbage but a little sweeter.

I also used the last of my homegrown parsley for my sauce (from the freezer)...i'm wondering whether to try and grow some more on my windowsill, to tide me over until i grow it on my allotment in the summer...not sure it will work at this time of year though.
    • Spiggle
    • By Spiggle 25th Jan 11, 6:32 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 14,202 Thanks
    Spiggle
    ... What will happen to this thread as its named JANUARY Groc challenge...sorry if its a dumb question
    Originally posted by ebayqueen
    Not a dull question at all ebayqueen. At some point over the next week you'll see rosieben posting the three recipe lists (much as MrsMcCawber has done in posts #2156/7). Then Pink-winged will come along take the all the lists and set up the February Grocery Challenge as a completely new thread and post on here a link to it. Those of us who haven't finished will keep on going on here until we've declared our month end totals at which point we'll start using the Feb thread. HTH.

I tried catching up yesterday and failed as I only got to page 106 but I'm here now!

Wssla, fantastic news on the job. I hope you will be happy in your new role.

Mothership, your posts are so entertaining and I particularly like the 'How not to make marmalade'. I hope things improve soon on the family front and send you hugs.

MrsMcCawber, please would you list me for a budget of £240 again for February. Thank you so much.

I don't have a great deal to update except a horrendous total of £17.26 for milk (16pts in all), butter (six packs and I have to pay the premium for it being Welsh!), bananas and a 95p whoopsied trifle from MrT. OH has been trying to console me with "It's a £1 a pint in the local shop", bless him.

I'm also a bit miffed that I bought stuff other than milk there but I was tired, it was raining and the thought of having to stop again at coop on the way home from work was just too much. If I'd had a long list and needed a full shop I would have done but for three items. So much for my morals, eh?

Trying to be positive, the NSDs are stacking up nicely. though OH has just informed we need potatoes and so may spend again tomorrow but not if I can help it. We've got loads in and I'm quite happy with an omelette tomorrow so I'll hold out as long as I can.

I'm really tired tonight (when am I not?) and so I'm going to have a very brisk browse and then go and put me feet up.

You are all wonderful - determined, enthusiastic, supportive, encouraging and inspirational. Keep it up, the month is nearly over.

Right, nighty night all and take care,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013
  • Missus Aka
    Have spent £125.36/£180 of my yearly stocking up budget it sounds like a lot but from this i have:

Years supply of bleach
    Years supply of fairy washing up liquid
    Years supply comfort softener
    Years supply shower gel
    Years supply toothpaste
    Years supply washing powder
    Years supply crunchy nut
    6 months mr muscle oven cleaner
    6 months shampoo/conditioner
    2 months toilet roll
    6 months supply colour catcher

Will buy some more stock up items from home b@rgains tomorrow on the way home, all good offers anyway......tuna gone down to £2.19 @ home b@rgains

January Grocery Budget is at £131.08 for the month, will probably just get another lot of chicken breasts with the change and some juice will probably stretch 2 meals
    SPC Member#1096 Target £150 Feb Count £82.18
    Aug Make£5P.DayChal £0/£155
    My August £100 Grocery Challenge £49.90/£100
  • bertiebots
    Have just done my final shop of January at Lidl (£30.77 and including 2 new dog collars!!) £10 spent yesterday at pets at home on dog food for the month...and come in at £155.77 total for January !!
    I am quite pleased with that , especially as I have just spent the vast majority of my money on getting my kitchen into a usable condition again so I can cook properly after 5 years of waiting!
    So now I know I can get back to saving for the next job I have to do in the house and of course my first camping holiday later this year as a single mum! Back to the GC..bring on febuary I say.
    JAN GC- £155.77 out of £200 FEB GC £197.31 out of £180. MARCH GC - out of £200
  • Princesslauraliz
    evening everyone!!

hope you are well! Just want to thank all those who post and motivate us to stay on track.

My GC challenge runs until the 26th of each month as this is when i get paid so i would like to declare that i finished under budget on £152.84 out of £160 budget!! Yeah!!

this is a real achievement for me as I am famed for "just nipping to the shops" and spending ridiculous amounts each week - and there is only the two of us!! onwards and upwards!

May lower my budget to £150 for Februray

off to catch up on the last few days posts - its moves so fast!

Good luck everyone!!!
    go to the graze website and enter this code: 4LKM1R3B to get your first graze box free and the second half price!!
    • pipersky
    • By pipersky 25th Jan 11, 7:02 PM
    • 949 Posts
    • 15,015 Thanks
    pipersky
    I'm now in £195.73 of my £200.00 budget fro Jan. Talk about

Got plenty of food, so probably just need to get milk (and give the kids tinned fruit after we run out of fresh!! ). However my OH insists on getting the Cravenda1e milk so it's not going to be cheap! I'm sure I'll do it though.. onwards and upwards!

I'm going to set myself a tight budget for Feb - as it's a short month and I have plenty in the freezer still - can I be put down for £150 please MrsM

Can you tell I like to live on the edge? What with the knitting, marmalade making and general bakery my friends are all jealous of my rock'n'roll lifestyle
    Part time GCer, NSDer, Comper and (Bad)Flylady

A big shot is just a little shot that kept shooting ...
  • martafdz
    potatoes should keep for a while if they're kept in the dark - I put mine in an old shopping basket and cover them with newspaper
    Originally posted by rosieben
    I used to throw a few every now and them because they were wet, black inside, funny soft and brown or with too many "white legs" lol. Now I take them out of the plastic bag (it keeps the moisture and eventually wets the potatoes) and put them in newspapers then chuck them in the veggie draw inside the fridge. It is a trick that people here told me and it has made a huge difference.

Mothership your post was just hylarious! OMG!

I went to MrM and HB without a calculator So I ended spending far too much and in things not needed and for a total of £38.76 . I will update my sig in a sec and include also tomorrow's delivery of A&C for £16.78 (small fruit & veg box, bananas and eggs).

Total for January (SO FAR, still a few days to go): £218.67 / £250

Target for February: £210

I am going to try to reduce £10 more a week, see if I can manage.
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 25th Jan 11, 7:13 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 8,701 Thanks
    minnie2
    Have spent £125.36/£180 of my yearly stocking up budget it sounds like a lot but from this i have:

Years supply of bleach
    Years supply of fairy washing up liquid
    Years supply comfort softener
    Years supply shower gel
    Years supply toothpaste
    Years supply washing powder
    Years supply crunchy nut
    6 months mr muscle oven cleaner
    6 months shampoo/conditioner
    2 months toilet roll
    6 months supply colour catcher

Will buy some more stock up items from home b@rgains tomorrow on the way home, all good offers anyway......tuna gone down to £2.19 @ home b@rgains

January Grocery Budget is at £131.08 for the month, will probably just get another lot of chicken breasts with the change and some juice will probably stretch 2 meals
    Originally posted by Missus Aka

hoow do you work out how much you will use in a year?
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • Mothership
    Purse/Bank
    Things you’ll need to get started…

2nd Purse
    Small notepad or paper you can fold up and put in your purse
    Small pencil (like the ones you get in bookmakers or IKEA)

£10 it can be more if you can afford it.
    Decide how many months stock you want to have, I do it in multiples of 3/6/9/12
    3 months is a good place to start if you don’t have much storage, or your on your own.

Make a list of all the things you buy on a regular basis, separate them into categories, beverages, cleaning, toiletries. Freezer stock.
    At the bottom of the list add items you would love to be able to buy but cant afford them ( you may not now, but after a year of doing this you will.)
    I have luxuries like smoked salmon on mine & some of my absolute favourites from M&S on this.
    Make your wish list & your
    Never in your wildest dreams list.
    I got some of the things I wanted last year a Tajine, and a new set of Fissler pots.
    Do the lists on the computer and print new ones off when you need them.

I usually go shopping for specific items when I know the store has them on offer. When I reach the check out I put them up separately, put the change and receipt in the 2nd Purse.
    When I get home I write the price next to it. Full price, for eg if you get something for 50p that you normally would pay £1 for , when you buy it from yourself, you pay £1.
    When I need one I place a tick beside the item.
    If the goods have a use by date write it beside the item.
    I also write the cost and profit I will have from the spend, if you tot this up you will know how much you will have when its all used up.

When you see any of the items on offer at a good price SWOOP, buy as many as you want with what you have in your 2nd purse.

At the end of the week/month pay the purse what you owe it, + what you can afford to give it. Set a limit of what you want to keep in the purse , mine is £100 any surplus I remove and keep in the 3rd Purse. If you need something urgently or have an unexpected bill use the money in the 3rd purse, you don’t need to pay this back. That your reward for being thrifty.
    That’s your cushion.

Your OH might tell you, you don’t need 3 of those DON’T LISTEN , they stand between you and those new pots LOL.

DO NOT BUY SWEETS CRISPS BISCUITS CHOCOLATE from the 2nd purse, they are also your enemy, once you get them home you will feel flush and eat them and carry them around with you FOREVER!
    Last edited by Mothership; 25-01-2011 at 7:37 PM.
    2nd Purse ££100
    • Jolaaled
    • By Jolaaled 25th Jan 11, 7:41 PM
    • 1,038 Posts
    • 2,504 Thanks
    Jolaaled
    Things you’ll need to get started…

2nd Purse

I usually go shopping for specific items when I know the store has them on offer. When I reach the check out I put them up separately, put the change and receipt in the 2nd Purse.
    Originally posted by Mothership
    Ooooh, Mothership. I love your technique of putting your deals through as a separate transaction to your day-to-day shopping. This will really help me keep tabs on my purses!

Thanks
  • Mothership
    Ooooh, Mothership. I love your technique of putting your deals through as a separate transaction to your day-to-day shopping. This will really help me keep tabs on my purses!

Thanks
    Originally posted by Jolaaled
    It works best if you do it that way, I keep all the receipts/ old lists in a plastic A4 wallet. I don't usually tot up the yearly spend/profit . I did one year and it was a staggering £500. Profit that is.

I forgot to say when you pay for something turn the tick that you've used it into a cross.
    2nd Purse ££100
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,381Posts Today

6,502Users online

Martin's Twitter