Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Dec 10, 1:15 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    • 25th Dec 10, 1:15 AM
    25th Dec 10 at 1:15 AM
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2011, a new decade and a new beginning!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month and may I take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy New Year! Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-12-2010 at 9:09 AM.
Page 90
  • rosieben
    There don't seem to be any asparagus recipes in the index, I meant to ask for this to be added last time I got some bargain 'gus, could it please go in the index somewhere? Thanks.
    Originally posted by triticale
    tis done! great recipe, thanks
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • Billie-jo
    • By Billie-jo 18th Jan 11, 3:14 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 15,892 Thanks
    Billie-jo
    Think that we have a fruit eating monster living with us at the moment as we are getting through it at an alarming rate.

Spent 12.07 today in Morri$$ons - this included oranges, apples, kiwi fruits, bananas, tomatoes, radish, swede, salad leaves and pasta. All healthy stuff so cant complain.

Still using things up out of the freezer as much as possible, yesterday we had some of the sausage that were frozen from christmas and today I am using some chicken that has been in for a while in a curry.

Love all the ideas for using the asparagus. Mine would be a bed of salad leaves, poached egg, some grilled bacon cut up and scattered over and then the asparagus and lastly a small amount of cheese scattered over the top. With some nice crusty bread this is gorgeous. Posh enough for 'ladies that lunch' as well. ....... but soooooo tasty.
    Last edited by Billie-jo; 18-01-2011 at 3:21 PM.
    [COLOR="Purple"][B] MARCH 62.38/250 [B][COLOR="Purple"]
    • jessie18
    • By jessie18 18th Jan 11, 3:26 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 641 Thanks
    jessie18
    Hi everyone

Could you put me down for 295.00 this month please, sorry its late, but i havent been on here for a while, although i have been keeping a total written down. Spent yesterday afternoon cooking and then freezing, made six cottage pies, two cheese & potato pies & a big chicken chasseur for tonight. Not exciting i know, but its a start isnt it???
    Been spending way too much over the last few months. I just need to stop going in Mr T"s and thinking thats a bargain, just popped in & spent nearly 20, is it me or do they seem to be getting more expensive?

Enjoy the rest of you day everyone
    Jessie18 x
    Sealed Pot Challenge no. 092
    • LannyLee
    • By LannyLee 18th Jan 11, 3:28 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 2,958 Thanks
    LannyLee
    Hi everyone

Could you put me down for 295.00 this month please, sorry its late, but i havent been on here for a while, although i have been keeping a total written down. Spent yesterday afternoon cooking and then freezing, made six cottage pies, two cheese & potato pies & a big chicken chasseur for tonight. Not exciting i know, but its a start isnt it???
    Been spending way too much over the last few months. I just need to stop going in Mr T"s and thinking thats a bargain, just popped in & spent nearly 20, is it me or do they seem to be getting more expensive?

Enjoy the rest of you day everyone
    Jessie18 x
    Originally posted by jessie18
    Jessie - can you let me have the recipe for you cheese & potato pie please, sounds like something my OH would love - thanks
    • jammy dodger
    • By jammy dodger 18th Jan 11, 3:36 PM
    • 1,112 Posts
    • 5,384 Thanks
    jammy dodger
    just updated my sig still on target

didnt intend to spend anything today but saw someone posted on the food / shopping forum i think that elvida shampoo was on offer in Mr T 2 for 1 instead of 1.70 each so nabbed a few and now have a years supply of toothpaste at a pricely sum of 26p from same store for extra care sensitive

so speculating to accumilating today
  • martafdz
    Spent 47.39, more than I expected, at MrM.
    I bought 8 pints of milk to last the week, tea bags, the soda crystals (!), one set of 3 meats x 10 [turkey, chicken breasts and pork chops], pasta sauce, a tin for the bread I plan making, toilet paper and other toiletries, eggs, vegetables and some nice thick lamb chops that were labelled as pork chops and thus much cheaper!!!! Lol I was not planning that one, but since lamb is always so expensive and chops even more... I have now 4 big prime lamb chops for 4 They did have lamb chops in the 10x3 offer, but these ones are thicker and look much better!! *makes silly dance* I also bought 2 bags of individual satchets of Nescaf! white coffee with sugar. They were at 1.09 each bag with 10 satchets. It is going to be much cheaper than buying from coffee machines and as I work on supply and I am sent to random places every day, I cannot leave any stuff in the school for the next day, so milk and coffee is not an option! This works out 11p the coffee, so that's great! Also bought garlic salt, which I didn't need right now but MrM has their basic at 59p and I usually spend 1.70 for the branded ones, so to the bag as well. I have meals and milk for the week. I think I will not need anything else this time. Yay!!!

By the way, pork shoulder or pork loin joints were half price. Big ones were about 3-4. I could not carry anymore (again on my own with two strong bags and only public transport, this is working, otherwise I take too much if they deliver or I take the car) so I left it behind. Moisturisers and so on from Nivea and Olay also were half price most of them. I bought a tinted moisturizer from Nivea at 3.99, which makes me fail my No toiletries challenge but since I had no moisturizer atm and that was the cheapest one, I think it is not that bad, isn't it?

UPDATED TOTAL: 163.13 / 250
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
    • jessie18
    • By jessie18 18th Jan 11, 3:59 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 641 Thanks
    jessie18
    Jessie - can you let me have the recipe for you cheese & potato pie please, sounds like something my OH would love - thanks
    Originally posted by LannyLee

Yes thats no probs, although im going to sound like a right cheapskate, ha ha

Its just loads of mashed potatoes mixed with margarine & a little milk, mash in lots of mature grated cheese to taste. You can add some chopped onions if you like them too, i would fry them a little first to soften. Then put into a large pyrex dish with sliced tomatoes on top, cook on gas number 6 till lovely and brown on top, about an hour depending on how big. Mom used to cook this when we were kids & they were hard up. She also used corned beef instead of cheese, for a corned beef hash type of dish. My sons love both it and they are now in their twenties, hubby likes the corned beef version. Not very adventurous i know, but a cheap filling meal.

Jessie18 x
    Last edited by jessie18; 18-01-2011 at 4:13 PM.
    Sealed Pot Challenge no. 092
    • LannyLee
    • By LannyLee 18th Jan 11, 4:07 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 2,958 Thanks
    LannyLee
    Yes thats no probs, although im going to sound like a right cheapskate, ha ha

Its just loads of mashed potatoes mixed with margarine & a little milk, mash in lots of mature grated cheese to taste. You can add some chopped onions if you like them too, i would fry them a little first to soften. Then put into a large pyrex dish with sliced tomatoes on top, cook on gas number 6 till lovely and brown on top, about an hour depending on how big. Mom used to cook this when we were kids & they were hard up. She also used corned beef instead of cheese, for a corned beef hash type of dish. My sons love both and they are now in their twenties, and hubby likes the corned beef version. Not very adventurous i know, but a cheap filling meal.

Jessie18 x
    Originally posted by jessie18
    No, sounds brilliant, I'm forever freezing left-over mash from roast dinners and this sounds like a great way to use it up - thanks!
  • bramble1
    i've sorta fallen off thw wagon but not really. we just couldn't live on the small amount i set us. So will increase next month.
    Annual Grocery Budget 364.00/1500
    Debt payments 2012 433.27
  • scotsaver
    I've just thought... those of you who make your own bread, how do you find it keeps? Would a loaf last, say, a week and still be reasonably fresh, or would it get too stale to eat as is after a couple of days?

Or does it not hang around long enough for you to find out?
    Originally posted by CupOfChai
    cupOfChai - HM bread only lasts a couple of days in our house so not sure how fresh it would be after that - sorry.

Hi folks, I've been absent for a couple of months due to lack of internet access, i'm hoping you'll all have me back on board now i'm up and running though. Could some kind soul put me down for 80 for this months Grocery Challenge, pretty please?
    Originally posted by katholicos
    katholicos - great to see you back.

I've updated my total with todays spends - was planning a NSD tomorrow but think I will pop to MrM's and get some half price Pork - thanks to whoever mentioned it.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• jammy dodger
    • By jammy dodger 18th Jan 11, 4:51 PM
    • 1,112 Posts
    • 5,384 Thanks
    jammy dodger
    Spent 47.39, more than I expected, at MrM.
    I bought 8 pints of milk to last the week, tea bags, the soda crystals (!), one set of 3 meats x 10 [turkey, chicken breasts and pork chops], pasta sauce, a tin for the bread I plan making, toilet paper and other toiletries, eggs, vegetables and some nice thick lamb chops that were labelled as pork chops and thus much cheaper!!!! Lol I was not planning that one, but since lamb is always so expensive and chops even more... I have now 4 big prime lamb chops for 4 They did have lamb chops in the 10x3 offer, but these ones are thicker and look much better!! *makes silly dance* I also bought 2 bags of individual satchets of Nescaf! white coffee with sugar. They were at 1.09 each bag with 10 satchets. It is going to be much cheaper than buying from coffee machines and as I work on supply and I am sent to random places every day, I cannot leave any stuff in the school for the next day, so milk and coffee is not an option! This works out 11p the coffee, so that's great! Also bought garlic salt, which I didn't need right now but MrM has their basic at 59p and I usually spend 1.70 for the branded ones, so to the bag as well. I have meals and milk for the week. I think I will not need anything else this time. Yay!!!

By the way, pork shoulder or pork loin joints were half price. Big ones were about 3-4. I could not carry anymore (again on my own with two strong bags and only public transport, this is working, otherwise I take too much if they deliver or I take the car) so I left it behind. Moisturisers and so on from Nivea and Olay also were half price most of them. I bought a tinted moisturizer from Nivea at 3.99, which makes me fail my No toiletries challenge but since I had no moisturizer atm and that was the cheapest one, I think it is not that bad, isn't it?

UPDATED TOTAL: 163.13 / 250
    Originally posted by martafdz
    just a thought on your coffee 11p as you say is so much cheaper than coffee machine but sounds like you would have access to a kettle if you are taking sachets could you not take a jar or small sealed plastic tub with coffee and coffee mate mixed together and sugar if you take this and use instead of sachets , i take this to work and it is just like the sachets and would save you a further bob or two

just a thought hope you dont mind
    jd xx
    • nickynoo08
    • By nickynoo08 18th Jan 11, 5:14 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 17,030 Thanks
    nickynoo08
    Right i need to declare my spends for last month as today is the first day of my next 4week gc budget, and i spent...... your guess is as good as mine, totally lost track the last 2weeks. All i do know is we over spent (by around 40-50 i reckon).
    Anyhoo fresh start today so i went to mrT's and stocked up on baby milk and basics - fridge, freezers and cupboards are fully stocked. We SHOULDN'T need to go shopping for anything other than milk, bread and fresh fruit for the next 2 weeks.
    Total spent so far - 65
    Debt 1 1111.23 0% until March 19 pay by xmas 0/1111.23
    Debt 2 2100 0% until August 19
    Debt 3 2161.86 0% until August 19
    Debt 4 1846.98 0% until December 19
    Saving for xmas 5/120
    1 debt at a time! We can do this!!
  • rosieben
    jessie18, I've added Cheese and Potato pie to the recipe index; my kids loved it when they were younger and I still have it myself at least once a month, havent done the corned beef version for ages so that's on the menu for next month

eta I sprinkle grated cheese on top of mine then put in a hot oven until the cheese is melted and crisping up

eta welcome back katholicos!
    Last edited by rosieben; 18-01-2011 at 10:12 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • Mrs Money Penny
    • By Mrs Money Penny 18th Jan 11, 5:43 PM
    • 732 Posts
    • 6,347 Thanks
    Mrs Money Penny
    Hi Everyone Could you put me down for 200 a month please. Have been very frugel this month and have only spent 77.63 this month so far.
    MFIT Challenge save 40k
    48828.05/46842.89/-1985.16Mortgage neutral 03/19
  • redkids1972
    Had to spent some money today as it was my daughters birthday and I wanted to buy her a cake. She asked me for a choc cake so went to Tesco and there was a cake reduced to 2.38 so grabbed it and she was made up with it. I also bought some cereal bogof for 2.09 so total was 4.47 and sig has been adjusted. I have enough money for milk at the weekend and that is all till the end of the month. I have enough to see me thru Jan (and feb aswell if honest) just need to plan the meals well. I am reducing Febs budget next month and planning in advance how I will bring it in. I have M&S vouchers which on the last day of Jan will use to stock up on 3 for 10 meat offers if I SPEND 50 it will cost only 32 as i have 20% staff discount on top. SO 15 different meats will cost me the 32 I should just need veg fruit and yogs on top. Thats the plan but lets see Jan out first.
    New to comping 11/2/2013

Feb wins to date: 0lympic messenger bag, 100
    • Spiggle
    • By Spiggle 18th Jan 11, 6:51 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 14,202 Thanks
    Spiggle
    Evening All,

Welcome back Katholicos, good to see you again.

Has anyone seen cw? I don't think I've seen her posting for a while either.

Loving the coversation on cheese & potato pie and corned beef hash too, mmmmmm yum yum. We haven't had c&p pie for a while so may well suggest that to OH soon. So versatile 'cos you can be good and healthy and have with salad and mayo/salad cream or with baked beans or with peas, beans, carrots with a bit of butter on top. My, I'm hungry!

It's quite funny really 'cos I used to absolutely refuse to have onions in my corned beef hash but then OH picked up a tip from somewhere about frying the onions off to being golden (or even crispy if I was doing them! ) before putting them in. I now wouldn't have corned beef hash without them. How does he live with me and provide food to satisfy my finnickity (sp?) ways!

Some lovely asparagus suggestions too. Got to be honest I don't think I have had them this time of year. But as an illustration of my simple food tastes, the best way of eating them for me is cooked and served on a plate with either hollandaise sauce or simply butter and a very light sprinkle of pepper and lovely HM bread. Hmmmm scrumptious.

I have a strong suspicion I need to eat soon!

Thanks Hippeechiq for the link to soda crystal use. Brilliant!

Well done everyone for their achievements so far this month. DO NOT knock yourselves out if you've gone over or fallen off the wagon. We're all here to help each other pick ourselves up get back in that saddle and whip the shopping into the shape we want!

Right my sig is all up to date. I think I may just go and find my supper.

See you all tomorrow and all the best,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 18th Jan 11, 7:29 PM
    • 15,518 Posts
    • 198,189 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    today was a NSD but did buy two boxes of washing powder from mrM yesterday as id almost run out and the offer was too good to resist.

hm veggie cottage pie last night and tonight its hm veggie lasagne.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Long tall sally
    NSD today for me as well. Taking OH's Mum & neighbour to Aldi tomorrow which is opposite Lidl & I do needa few things but I am going to try to be good because I only have a week to go to payday & I might, if will power is strong, just actually make target this month!

Liking the asparagus recipes.
    Grocery aim 450pm.Spent 519 August, 584 July, 544 June, 541 May, 549 April, 517 March, 517 Feb,555 Jan, 573 Dec, 465Nov, 561Oct, 493Sept, 426Aug,496 Jul, 528Jun, 506May,498April, 558 March, 500Feb, 500 Jan, 490 Dec, 555 Nov,566 Oct, 505Sept, 450Aug, 410 July, 437 June, 491 May, 471 April, 440 March, 552Feb, 462Jan
    • NickJW
    • By NickJW 18th Jan 11, 8:08 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    Today was a NSD because I had leftover stew from yesterday (or as I had my mum berate me over the phone - CASSEROLE, because she said stew doesn't sound nice! . My mum can't quite understand me - she said I should be interested in going out clubbing rather than cooking at my age. Then again - I grew up eating things like reformed chicken kievs, and pasta with Dolmio, so I've had to learn to 'cook' myself. Any sight of meat on a bone sends my mum into shivers! )

Anyway - off tangent - salad and cheese wraps for lunch, plus leftover stew/casserole with the rest of the potatoes mashed and some frozen peas for dinner.

The next 2 days are my flatmates turns to cook, and I've got salad wraps for lunch as well

Keep up the good work everyone - I'm willing January to be finished already - horrible month!
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 46.05/130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent 1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent 1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 18th Jan 11, 8:22 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    Today was a NSD because I had leftover stew from yesterday (or as I had my mum berate me over the phone - CASSEROLE, because she said stew doesn't sound nice! .
    Originally posted by NickJW

A stew is done on the hob and a casserole is done in the oven, so you could be right, depending on how you cooked it!
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan 87.97/100 Feb 0/100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

777Posts Today

6,529Users online

Martin's Twitter