Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Dec 10, 1:15 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    • 25th Dec 10, 1:15 AM
    25th Dec 10 at 1:15 AM
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2011, a new decade and a new beginning!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month and may I take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy New Year! Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-12-2010 at 9:09 AM.
Page 66
    • lotti379
    • By lotti379 11th Jan 11, 3:56 PM
    • 787 Posts
    • 6,181 Thanks
    lotti379
    More bread (seriously, HOW?!? it's the 3rd loaf since Thursday and there's only 2 of us here!) and a bottle of cheap plonk for sausage ragu later in the week (and for Mr L. to drink!), bringing the total to £89. Nice round figure at least.
    “Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.”

NSD Challenge: August 2017 2/15
    • Sparklyfairy
    • By Sparklyfairy 11th Jan 11, 4:24 PM
    • 751 Posts
    • 1,539 Thanks
    Sparklyfairy
    Hubby was off to Mr S's so I asked him to get me 2 x 4 pints of milk...Mr A is 2 for £2...Mr S charged him £3.10...grrr. Updated siggy.
    Tonight's meal is HM veg chilli & either rice or Jacket potato and HM guacamole, bought 2 avocados for 50p at Mr M's at the week-end. (mashed with finely sliced onion, tomato, lime juice, crushed garlic, sliced red chilli pepper) mmmm
    Originally posted by Gracie_1827
    Yum! That sounds really nice!
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 11th Jan 11, 4:34 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    Hi all Scrap the NSD I had planned- I have run out of cat food AGAIN! Really must order some on amazon to be delivered this week but will need some before it comes!

I am going to make OH's favorite bread today- Chollah! If anyone wants a recipe let me know and I will post it up. I know it's probably wrong but I love it with ham (I'm not Jewish so I don't think it matters too much to me...) and OH loves it with Jam. It's a bit like brioche but different.

Was going to put a sliceable loaf in the bread maker too as I'm running out of bread in the freezer. But may be swathed and make a wheaten instead!

Anyway I'm off to bread make! Have a good day all
    Originally posted by wssla00
    ooohhhh, definitely recipe please, i adore chollah! and getting it from the proper bakers is a pain as i never seem to be there on the right day (ie not saturday!!)
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• wssla00
    Recipe for Chollah: I bake by hand but you could pop all of this into your dough programme on your bread maker but I find hand making it easier

Makes 1 large loaf, or six big rolls

200ml luke warm water
    3/4 tsp easibake yeast (I use doves farm)
    3/4 tsp salt
    2 eggs
    a good squidge of honey (about 60g)
    55g melted butter
    450g strong white flour
    egg wash

Put all of the ingredients in a bowl and with one hand mix together until you get a dough and all of the ingredients are combined. Turn out onto a floured work surface and grab the dough with your left hand (if you are right handed). With the heel your right hand (or vice versa) push the dough away from you, then using the fingers of the right hand pull it back (if you find it is too sticky, add a bit more flour) to make a mound again. Turn the bread 90 degrees and repeat.

Repeat this for ten minutes until you can stretch the dough without it breaking and it feels silky and smooth.

Shape the dough into a round and with a small amount of unflavoured oil or some more melted butter cover the dough

put it back into the bowl you mixed it with (wipe it out if there are any bits left in the bowl beforehand) and cover with a black bin bag. The black absorbs the heat and radiates it back to the dough.

Leave in a warmish place until the dough is risen to double in size

shape the dough either by plaiting it, making two rounds and putting one on top of the other or by dividing into six rolls.

Leave again to double in size again ad brush with egg wash

Bake in a preheated oven as high as it can go for the first ten minutes. When you put the bread/rolls in, have a baking dish of boiling water at the bottom of the oven to allow for oven spring (the final rise)
    after ten minutes check the dough and reduce it to about 170 if no browning has taken place
    160 if it is browning well
    150 if it is noticably dark and bake for about 15-20 mins

once the bread is cooked, the top should be a dark brown (but not burnt) colour and the bottom should sound hollow when you tap it.

Enjoy
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 11th Jan 11, 5:02 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    A nsd for me with the exception of a 50p card which Im not taking from grocery budget. The card was for my return to work tomorrrow to say thanks to all those who sent me Xmas cards as they never got any from me as I was ill. Also said a thankyou for those who have been doing my work in my absence and have taken a weight off my mind for my return. I left a box of the bakin boys cakes from approved foods for them with the card in the staffroom-well- thats my bit done!
    I will take a packed lunch tomorrow-I may use some of the soups I bought from AF in a flask with a sandwich. So tomorrrow should also be a nsd. Eaten up the rest of my chicken and ham pie tonight so it wouldnt waste-minus the pastry as it would be too filling. Everyones been picking and making sarnies/soup today so I doubt I will bother cooking tonight.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
    • boysma
    • By boysma 11th Jan 11, 5:12 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 12,862 Thanks
    boysma
    Hi all

Another 7.50 spent in Iceland today mainly cheese, ham & bread for packed lunches.
    Payment A Day £15 (started 17/5/14)
  • rosieben
    wssla00 - Chollah recipe in now in the index I like the sound of that one
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • SeriouslySeekingtoSave
    Realised when I went to put together one of my 'planned' dinners that I had forgotten a few rather important ingrediants. Opps. Still, refusing to give up on 'the plan' I threw together a delicious stir fry that was heavy on vegetables, dried chillies and garlic and light on sauces and chicken. And it was absolutely delicious

10 days into the month and I'm still sticking to 'The Plan'.
    Mini Challenge - Halve 2nd Mortgage by Year End
    Starting: £10,000 Currently £8,142.62
    £3,142.62 to go!
  • SeriouslySeekingtoSave
    Had to pop to I**land this morning for some bits I didn't get in Mr T's yesterday, Their NOM NOM corner yogurts are on offer again 2 multi packs for £3, got 3pks of angel delight for £1, for cheap puds, and 2 pks of willow butter for £1 got a couple of other bits and spent £9.70 in total, will update my sig in a min. Having corned beef hotpot for tea and might make a bread and butter pudding. Never made one but had some bread and milk given to me from work yesterday that needs using up.
    Originally posted by pixiedust09

I've never actually been into this shop apart from the once when I was driven out again by the packaged horror. Are there some good bargains that wouldn't make my salt/sugar/fat intake for the day quadruple?
    Mini Challenge - Halve 2nd Mortgage by Year End
    Starting: £10,000 Currently £8,142.62
    £3,142.62 to go!
  • Hippeechiq
    brodie Well done you at having so much of your budget remaining and your challenge ending sunday
    In Dec my boyfriend proposed and became a fiancee!!! I moved in with him at the end of Dec
    Originally posted by zcrat41
    Congratulations
    It's called doussy softcare (the white one). It's good as my skin is really sensitive but smells super dooper! It's £1.99 I think for 1.5l but it's concentrated so it's the equivalent of the massive ones you get from comfort and the like, so saves a bundle! I really like their cleaning stuff. The smells on them are pretty good!
    Originally posted by wssla00
    Thanks for that wssla00 I might give that a bash too. At the moment I'm using Da!sy which I'm happy with, but I love to try new things.
    I've been watering my fabric softener down by 50% for the last 4 months since reading about it on here,and one bottle is lasting me aaaages, and I can't notice any difference to my washing - so I'm very happy with that.

Is it your birthday tomorrow? If so HAPPY BIRTHDAY
    What kind of tree are you getting?

scotsaver Great bargain of 7.5kg potaotes for £2.49!

Welcome to cat04 & velbels

poohbear59 - that's a really tough budget - well done on how little you've spent so far, and good luck for the rest of your month

SilverCo your Sausage Casserole sounds lush

Tip for newbies: I have a long old list of regular meals I cook at home.
    They are organised by price, so when I'm at the end of my GC budget,
    I choose from the cheaper end of the list!! HTH someone.
    That's an excellent idea PennyGrabber

Rebelle I don't think many of us came in on budget on our first attempt I certainly didn't, in fact, in 6 months I've been trying, I've only managed it 3 times! lol - and I've reduced it this month for the first time.

Well done cat_smith on only buying what you went into Te$cos for

Linda32 you may still make your budget. Mine is £250 and I'm at £85.90, but I'm still hopeful :-)

dumpling I'm the same about having full freezers and cupboards, it freaks me out when either get low, which they are at the moment
    as I'm waiting for £idls to pull their finger out and have offers on chicken breasts and thighs, as after tomorrow nights Coq Au Vin, I wont
    have any of either left.

XSpender Embarrassingly, I don't know or understand how to do a spreadsheet, but I've created a very basic document in Notepad
    with headings like CHILLED/DAIRY, BREAD, FRUIT & VEG, HOUSEHOLD, MEAT, STORE CUPBOARD, TOILETRIES and so on, and everytime I buy anything, I enter it under the appropriate column and then add each column up at the end of the month - it soon becomes apparent where your biggest expense lays - something like that may be helpful to you maybe?

Sorry to hear about your oven Missus Aka - that's a bit of a blow I'm sure you could have done without
    Last edited by Hippeechiq; 11-01-2011 at 6:20 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • Hippeechiq
    Ooops - forgot to add
    Another NSD yesterday, resulting in very heavy bags today and spends of £23.02 bringing my total to £85.90
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • bella121984
    Im swapping a trip to Mr S tonight for a trip to Mr T tomorrow with my sister- she swears its cheaper but im not sure ive really noticed a difference. All I need to get though is milk, bread, and butter, and I have just cancelled my A+C box so I will need to get some fruit/ veg for the rest of my meal planned fortnight. I normally just get one of their mixed boxes but decided to have a look and order each thing I needed instead, and it just worked out so expensive that im sure I must be able to get it cheaper tomorrow. Its always interesting going shopping with my sister...her OH is very fussy and wont eat anything from a value/ basics range, so theres me with my trolley of reduced bits and bobs, value this and basic that, and then theres her with her finest this and taste the difference that...! Im not sure I even can taste the difference!
    January grocery challenge- £338.09/£350
    £365 in 365 days- £25
    January NSDs- 9
    Money made on ebay- £16.89
    • Spiggle
    • By Spiggle 11th Jan 11, 6:29 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 14,202 Thanks
    Spiggle
    Hi all,

Yay I managed to get to the end!!! It's taken me two evenings, lol.

... They were 87p before Christmas. I checked in store on Friday and they had gone up to something like 92p - which was bad enough - but I've just been checking the prices on My$upermarket for the shopping I need to get tomorrow (which includes baby wipes) and since Friday, they've gone up from 92p to £1.28. ... How can they warrant such a rise? - that's almost a 50% increase! ... Obviously we are paying for the other "so-called" special offers and VAT busters being rammed down our throats as we walk around the store, by paying through the nose for other items.

Don't you just hate supermarkets?!
    Originally posted by Hippeechiq
    I think you're right Hippeechiq in saying the increase is to subsidise other 'offers' but in my experience it's only part of the answer. Who wants to have a 1p bet that those very same wipes will in the next few weeks (a month at the outside) will be reduced giving a saving 36p or even 41p?

Oh I am getting cynical in my old age. Or perhaps a realist!

... choosing what I want rather than a set box, or cancelling it all together? Ive just done my first fortnightly shop and obviously couldnt get all the fruit/ veg we need for 2 weeks, but do you think its cheaper to do it this way or good old Mr S? I cant decide what is best!
    Originally posted by bella121984
    Bella only you can decide what is right for you. but i do have to say that i find f&v from the grocer (or market) is cheaper than 'good old MrS'! Have a look at what you have locally available and put all options into your thoughts.

Typical, I catch up, have time to post, and a friend turns up, aaaarrrrrgggghh!!!

Right I have to go and will try to get back later otherwise I'll try to post again tomorrow night.

Take care all,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013
    • kippers
    • By kippers 11th Jan 11, 7:03 PM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 6,039 Thanks
    kippers
    Celeriac and Apple Soup or add to any root vegetable soup or vegetable stew. I think you can use it like swede/spuds and mash or do chips. Yum, lovely stuff
    Originally posted by XSpender
    We roast celeriac like parsnips...yum yum and have them with our sunday roast
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 11th Jan 11, 7:03 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 8,701 Thanks
    minnie2
    forgot my lunch today!!! spent £5.43 in morrisons they have bread half price at 50p!!!!

so bought bread crisps apple juice (treat for hubby) ham and bananas all mainly for pack up!!

oh and owed some one at work £3 so paid that off!!

ive come home to find hubby has left kitchen light on all day!!! not helpful!!
  • velbels
    Hi all splashed out a bit today and got 2 huge Gammon joints for £6 each in Mr M. Feels expensive but one will do for FIL visiting on Sunday (and 2 meals afterwards) and the other one is in the freezer for later on. I know they are good value just annoying it doubles my spend for this week.

Tried Frozen Veg for Stir fry tonight to reduce cost but it was very watery and although it was a larger pack in terms of weight, being frozen you didn't seem to get much. Back to fresh next time!
  • ~moneysavingnovice~
    Sent OH to the shop to get diet coke and dog food and he spent £11!

Oh well, lol...
    Mortgage£148,725 Student loan£13,050 HSBC loan£12,221
    AprGC:£/£320
  • wssla00
    Thanks for that wssla00 I might give that a bash too. At the moment I'm using Da!sy which I'm happy with, but I love to try new things.
    I've been watering my fabric softener down by 50% for the last 4 months since reading about it on here,and one bottle is lasting me aaaages, and I can't notice any difference to my washing - so I'm very happy with that.

Is it your birthday tomorrow? If so HAPPY BIRTHDAY
    What kind of tree are you getting?
    Hello I also use daisy when I get to Tesco. I use the pink one paeony I think? It smells lush!

Yeah it's my birthday tomorrow I'm starting to feel old! I actually have a mamouth amount of trees coming A dual tree of greengage and plum from my OH, a pear tree from my mum and a fig tree and a blueberry bush from me

So still haven't gone out today which meant I have manasged an NSD but no cat food in (they shall have to have tuna- which they never moan about lol) and no compost so will have to get some tomorrow!

Well done on your NSD! I really need some more this month... I'm a spending machine at the mo!
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • rosieben
    ... SilverCo your Sausage Casserole sounds lush ...
    oops I missed that one

SilverCo, your sausage stew is now in the index
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • salski
    Did my shopping today. Walked up and decided to go local. So went to the butchers and to the greengrocers. Spent £35 of this weeks £70 budget. I also think that I might have all I need for the following week - but we shall see!
    Sal x
    Loan finished Sep 2010 - HSBC CC - WAS £750 now £0! Natwest CC - WAS £1600 now £100 - Overdraughts to be worked on! WILL be debt free by mid 2011!!!
    £2000 Saved so far for maternity leave - Our baby girl arrived valentines day! Elsie Ann - WELCOME
    Sealed pot challenge number 4 - number 1167 - Last day smoking: 8/1/2011
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

811Posts Today

6,731Users online

Martin's Twitter