Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Dec 10, 1:15 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    • 25th Dec 10, 1:15 AM
    25th Dec 10 at 1:15 AM
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2011, a new decade and a new beginning!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month and may I take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy New Year! Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-12-2010 at 9:09 AM.
Page 60
  • Hippeechiq
    Yes definitely check, they are in the freezer section BTW. If not, the Value breast fillets are showing up at 3.99 for 1kg on the Tesco website. They don't appear to be on offer, but I remember them costing more than that in store today. Hope you find them!
    Originally posted by lolly101
    Oh, sorry, my misunderstanding. I thought you meant fresh

One of the side effects of the cocktail of meds my daugther is on is excessive perspiration, and so for the last few months I have regularly been buying Te$co own brand baby wipes so that she can freshen herself up between showers.

They were 87p before Christmas. I checked in store on Friday and they had gone up to something like 92p - which was bad enough - but I've just been checking the prices on My$upermarket for the shopping I need to get tomorrow (which includes baby wipes) and since Friday, they've gone up from 92p to 1.28.

How can they warrant such a rise? - that's almost a 50% increase!

I'm lucky that I only need to buy a pack every 2-3 weeks, but at that price, I think any new Mums will have to seriously consider finding an alternative.

It wont affect me personally too much as I only buy a couple of packs a month, but if everything leaps up my amounts like this, it soon will.

We were all expecting increases but not at this level - or at least, I wasn't.

Obviously we are paying for the other "so-called" special offers and VAT busters being rammed down our throats as we walk around the store, by paying through the nose for other items.

Don't you just hate supermarkets?!
    Last edited by Hippeechiq; 09-01-2011 at 10:57 PM.
    Aug11 193.29/240

Oct10 266.72 /275 Nov10 276.71/275 Dec10 311.33 / 275 Jan11 242.25/ 250 Feb11 243.14/ 250 Mar11 221.99/ 230
    Apr11 237.39 /240 May11 237.71/240 Jun11 244.03/ 240 July11 244.89/ 240
    Xmas 2011 Fund 220
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 9th Jan 11, 11:12 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    Steamed Pudding(Spotted !!!!)
    6 oz SR flour
    3 oz suet
    3 oz sugar
    1 egg
    3 oz sultanas or mixed fruit
    A little milk to mix

Use a 1 and a half pint bowl(I use a clear pyrex one).
    Grease bowl. In your mixing bowl mix together flour suet and sugar.
    Beat an egg and add to the mixture, adding some milk(about 1/4 pint at a guess) until it is a stodgy mixture but not so stiff it won't move.
    Put all ingredients into your bowl-you could put some golden syrup or honey in the bottom of the bowl if liked.
    Cover with clingfilm and pierce in several places with a fork(it rises a lot)
    Pop in micro on full power for approx 6 mins. I use the clear dish so I can see how cooked it is. Be careful not to overcook. Take it out after 6 mins and let it rest a minute and you can test it by sticking a sharp knife in the centre it. If it comes out goeey give it another minute and retest.

Don't be tempted to pop it in for 15 mins or it will come out like a brick.

It should be light and fluffy and resemble a very light fluffy cake mixture.

Hubby commented on this today that is was light and not as stodgy as usual. I did put in a couple of extra ounces of flour as I'd used too much milk in mine and had to thicken it up so don't panic if it isnt perfect-it comes out well. I didnt use any syrup but I could have as it needed a little more sweetening but I didn't fancy anything too rich today. We served it with tinned custard(heated) A really quick easy pudding! You don't have to use suet either-you can in fact use vegetable oil if preffered-though not sure how much-Id take a chance(as I do) and use 3 tablespoonsful.

Had some leftover pork from dinner and made 4 servings of s/s pork for the freezer.
    with leftover chicken from dinner Ive made 5 chicken and ham pasties and a chicken and ham pie. Used up some of my turkey ham from the fridge.
    Last edited by angelatgraceland; 10-01-2011 at 12:37 AM.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
    • muffin man 7
    • By muffin man 7 9th Jan 11, 11:12 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 7,753 Thanks
    muffin man 7
    thanks for that hippeechiq boots is even better vantage points too it all helps
    2nd purse challenge no0400 Sealed pot challenge ???? 2 trolley find not counting small coins till end year
    • castri09
    • By castri09 10th Jan 11, 4:42 AM
    • 262 Posts
    • 3,624 Thanks
    castri09
    so far i have spent 35 on food this month 35/50
  • Mothership
    I know what you mean Minnie...I have one like that at home. Why am I saving that, why don't I wash everything on 40 degrees for 3 hours, putting dishwasher on twice a day half full and sticks things in the dryer when it's a fair windy day. He pays the leccy bill so he'll do what he likes. I've had to get canny and do the washing in the evening then stick it out first thing on the line. Goes mad if I try and stop draughts, says we need ventilation...what can you do...I say he's turned into an old woman
    Originally posted by Gracie_1827
    I HAD one of those as well, he insisted on washing the dishes by hand under running hot water (taking hours), even though we have a dishwasher, put the dryer on for 90 min to dry 1 thing, at least once a day . Moaned when I made draft excluders and sausages for the doors and windows, and thermal linings for the curtains.
    It wasn't till our joint fuel bills rocketed to almost 500 per month, that I got him to listen. Now our fuel consumption is 1/4 of what it was, and the house is warmer. I laughed this year when he kept nagging me to get out the draft excluders for the windows and doors, he was cold, (this winter really sorted him out). And to make them for the remaining windows.
    I was getting accused of being extravagant, LOL. 6,000 per year on fuel was ridiculous, I persuaded him to try it MY way and try and get the bills down, it took two years, now they have settled to around 125 per month, 1.500 pa, and have been around for 18 months.
    He's worse than me now, if he wants to wash dishes by hand he uses a bowl of hot water.
    I'm making heavy lined curtains for my two daughters cold flats now and draft proofing their windows and doors, I cant make them fast enough LOL. I got up at 6 am to finish them. While the taskmaster is tucked up fast asleep in Bed.
    Men have only two faults , everything they say and everything they do ROTFLMAO!
    1st Purse 114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse 100
    Fridge Freezer 300 3rd Purse /290.94
    • boysma
    • By boysma 10th Jan 11, 5:36 AM
    • 827 Posts
    • 12,862 Thanks
    boysma
    Morning everyone,

Another 15.59 spent at Mr T yesterday. It filled 3 bags though so i am definitely getting more for my money. Will need more bread today (i buy it in I****nd) so hopefully will not spend too much rest of week. I get paid on Friday and intend to buy a meat parcel from butchers at 17.99 which includes steak and chops so i can plan next week's meals round that.
    Payment A Day 15 (started 17/5/14)
    • mummyroysof3
    • By mummyroysof3 10th Jan 11, 5:53 AM
    • 4,318 Posts
    • 25,275 Thanks
    mummyroysof3
    got my tesco order yesterday(ive updated my sig) they subbed my bread with some i dont like(and wasnt on offer) so didnt have it, need a printer cartridge today, some dummies and bread...then i will not spend anything till thurs/fri when we will need bread and milk again
    Have a Bsc Hons open degree from the Open University 2015
  • SeriouslySeekingtoSave
    Well I haven't had much time to read through this thread yet but I have been working hard on my financial goals (ie sorting out savings and ISA's) so it's not that I haven't been working hard on saving money!

Anyway had a shop at Mr A in the weekend and it came to 32 which will hopefully mostly last me for two weeks. Well, fingers crossed.

So my total is currently 62 spent of my target of 150. I'm totally confident I'll make this and the next challenge I'll do I will reduce it down to 120. That will be tougher as I'll have other staples which will need replacing by then I should think ie my big bag of Jasmine Rice. But, I should still be able to make it.
    Mini Challenge - Halve 2nd Mortgage by Year End
    Starting: 10,000 Currently 8,142.62
    3,142.62 to go!
    • toddles*
    • By toddles* 10th Jan 11, 8:27 AM
    • 360 Posts
    • 2,653 Thanks
    toddles*
    spent too much at Mr T's yesterday, whats the number one rule when food shopping DONT GO WHEN YOUR HUNGRY! Im sure your shopping about doubles! So thats another 89.
    Did fill my freezer with woopsies. Got a lovely piece of organic lamb reduced from 7.25 to 3.50, we had it for Sunday lunch yesterday, it was lush. Got 2 free range chickens, 2 packs of pork chops, some sausages and some free range breasts, all nicely reduced. So overall quite pleased.
    Happy days
  • bella121984
    Just before Christmas I started getting organic fruit and veg boxes delivered, not really for any other reason than ive always liked the idea of getting lovely fresh veg delivered to your door! Then I discovered they do a baby and toddler box, with stuff that is suitable for pureeing, and since im weaning my youngest this seemed like a good idea, but it didnt really have anything in there I didnt have/ wouldnt have had in the other box anyway, but im wondering weather or not to carry on getting it delivered, but choosing what I want rather than a set box, or cancelling it all together? Ive just done my first fortnightly shop and obviously couldnt get all the fruit/ veg we need for 2 weeks, but do you think its cheaper to do it this way or good old Mr S? I cant decide what is best!
    January grocery challenge- 338.09/350
    365 in 365 days- 25
    January NSDs- 9
    Money made on ebay- 16.89
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 10th Jan 11, 8:41 AM
    • 15,518 Posts
    • 198,189 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    did the weekly shop in morrys over the weekend so have updated my sig.

made soup for tea last night and did 1/2 doz rolls for pack up in bm, that seems to be working well.
    the veggie cheesy bread thing i made for tea on friday was a success (its a recipie from this issue of essentials but i altered it to suit what i had in )

should be an nsd today as we are out for a meal tonight so only got dinner/lunch to do.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
    • MummyEm
    • By MummyEm 10th Jan 11, 8:41 AM
    • 573 Posts
    • 5,144 Thanks
    MummyEm
    Still stuck at home with 2 poorly bubs so hubbie is doing a quick run to shops for us for a few essentials to tied us over. Have sent him with a list and some cash, am dreading the results but needs must!

If he does get everything on the list we should be ok with bits in the freezer to last us until next Monday (except maybe a bit more milk and fruit). Might need a few toiletries although will see if we can put them off until nex t big shop next week.

We also have our new chest freezer being delivered today so will need to start filling it up but don't want to go too overboard as want the space for fruit/ veggies from the garder this summer as last year we didn't have enough storage and were giving it to family/friends and still threw some out which is just criminal! Am going to investigate buying meat in bulk but do want space for whoopsies and also woring out whether we could do monthly grocery shopping if we bulk buy more milk etc.

Sorry for the long rambling, lots to think about!
    MFW original end date 295000 Nov 2039 currently 224,824.58 Jul 2035 Dream end date Nov 2025
    2017 Target EF 20,000/ 20,000 OP 2390.10/1900
    TOTAL OP 2014 1042.60 OP 2015 3357.75 OP 2016 6480.98 Family Loan 17000.00
  • Winged one
    I made a rookie mistake over the weekend - I got too busy on Saturday morning to go when supermarket was relatively quiet, but then had invited PIL for dinner so HAD to go Sat afternoon when it's manic!

I went to Ikea with MIL for the morning (she needed to go and DH was tied up with work stuff), and I picked up meatballs, sauce, and biscuits there while I was there (I'd have been getting them this month anyway). Actually, I think I spent less than the €14 I allowed for that... must check.

Anyway, went to F&V shop, where I needed a complete restock on everything. €35 bought me 10kg potatoes, bag oranges, punnet pears, 10 apples, bag grapes, 5 peppers, bag mushrooms, bag tomatoes and punnet cherry toms, bag carrots, 2 parsnips, 3 cooking apples, courgette, mangetout, and 10 clementines.

Then I went to SQ, where I had to get a load of meat, and restock cupboards too. I spent €115 after a voucher for €7.50 off. But I got a large joint of rib roast beef (over €20) for dinner for PIL, 800g lamb pieces, 2 lamb steaks, 8 chicken breasts, liver (oops, meant to have that for lunch yesterday, will have tonight with tea instead). I had to get cooked meat for sambos again, but there was a special on our favourite ham so I got 2 packs of 10 slices each for the price of 1. I got 2 more blocks of cheddar as the "2 for €4" offer was still on (we use a fair bit of cheese). I had to get regular mushrooms (F&V only had breakfast ones) for a different dinner, an avocado, lettuce (for my lunches again) and brocolli for FIL (I did roasted root veg, including our own BN Squash, but he doesn't eat that). Tinned tomatoes, rice, 4 jars curry sauce (2 on special offer), bread, milk, cream, kitchen towels, 2 different fruit squashes, fresh tagliatelle (for 2 easy dinners) and 1 pack fresh tortelini (for 2 dinners for DD), breakfast bars, apple juice, cotton buds, yoghurts. I also was bold and got a portion of readymade lasagne (for DD's dinner so that she wouldn't grumble about not having roast dinner with PIL), a donut for desert, and fruit winders for snacks (they are not the worst in the world!), and sprinkles for her birthday cake in 2 weeks.

Menu for the week is:
    Sat: Frozen soup (lunch), roast beef dinner
    Sun: Make-your-own sambos (lunch) and pork & apple burgers (HM) with wedges (HM)
    Mon: Beef and onion pie with mash
    Tues: Lamb rogan josh (will make Mon pm)
    Wed: Lamb chops, mash, fresh veg
    Thurs: Chicken fajitas
    Fri: Macaroni cheese with loads of veg (might swop thurs and fri to avoid takeaway)

I am using up various bits from freezer too, which is good. Am planning a fish & prawn pasta dish for Sat night, spag bol for midweek next week, and possibly another night of pork and apple burgers (they're made using sausages from this month's "Good Food" mag, and were surprisingly tasty! - and I have another full pack, and a couple of bags of 2, sausages left in freezer).

Hopefully, with what I got this week and using freezer, I don't need much next weekend and can avoid supermarket entirely. Just some fresh fruit, maybe some veg, bread, milk, cooked meat and yoghurts.
    GC 2010 6,000/ 5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: 6,000/
    5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr 587.82/550 May 453.31 /550
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 10th Jan 11, 9:04 AM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    Steamed Pudding(Spotted !!!!)
    6 oz SR flour
    3 oz suet
    3 oz sugar
    1 egg
    3 oz sultanas or mixed fruit
    A little milk to mix

Use a 1 and a half pint bowl(I use a clear pyrex one).
    Grease bowl. In your mixing bowl mix together flour suet and sugar.
    Beat an egg and add to the mixture, adding some milk(about 1/4 pint at a guess) until it is a stodgy mixture but not so stiff it won't move.
    Put all ingredients into your bowl-you could put some golden syrup or honey in the bottom of the bowl if liked.
    Cover with clingfilm and pierce in several places with a fork(it rises a lot)
    Pop in micro on full power for approx 6 mins. I use the clear dish so I can see how cooked it is. Be careful not to overcook. Take it out after 6 mins and let it rest a minute and you can test it by sticking a sharp knife in the centre it. If it comes out goeey give it another minute and retest.

Don't be tempted to pop it in for 15 mins or it will come out like a brick.

It should be light and fluffy and resemble a very light fluffy cake mixture.

Hubby commented on this today that is was light and not as stodgy as usual. I did put in a couple of extra ounces of flour as I'd used too much milk in mine and had to thicken it up so don't panic if it isnt perfect-it comes out well. I didnt use any syrup but I could have as it needed a little more sweetening but I didn't fancy anything too rich today. We served it with tinned custard(heated) A really quick easy pudding! You don't have to use suet either-you can in fact use vegetable oil if preffered-though not sure how much-Id take a chance(as I do) and use 3 tablespoonsful.

Had some leftover pork from dinner and made 4 servings of s/s pork for the freezer.
    with leftover chicken from dinner Ive made 5 chicken and ham pasties and a chicken and ham pie. Used up some of my turkey ham from the fridge.
    Originally posted by angelatgraceland

well i know what i'm making later Thanx AAG
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• medsdemon
    • By medsdemon 10th Jan 11, 9:07 AM
    • 745 Posts
    • 6,098 Thanks
    medsdemon
    Just caught up on the thread- it does move fast.
    Yesterday thought we would have a NSD but Hubby went to the supermarket late on as out of paracetemol and spent 2.60. He also bought Kitchen roll, chocolate to satisfy our late night cravings, and 2 x packs of whoopsied smoked salmon for 30p each (labelled 2.69 each) and pack of whoopsied bananas.

Have to go to MrS today as I need bits for making a chocolate pudding and we're out of milk and Gluten free bread too. Also will get 1/2 price Philadelphia to go with above smoked salmon for our dinner tonight I think with baked potatoes. I will try to make a list to make sure I buy everything i need for the week and get it all in one shop, but since I walk and will have to carry it not sure I will be able to!!

I will update later... have a good day everyone.
    Grocery challenge October: 228.28/250.00 NSD 4 ( not completed)
    Grocery challenge November : 291.65/300.00 NSD 10
    Grocery challenge December : 0/240.00 NSD
    • catslovelycats
    • By catslovelycats 10th Jan 11, 9:24 AM
    • 1,684 Posts
    • 11,207 Thanks
    catslovelycats
    Just before Christmas I started getting organic fruit and veg boxes delivered, not really for any other reason than ive always liked the idea of getting lovely fresh veg delivered to your door! Then I discovered they do a baby and toddler box, with stuff that is suitable for pureeing, and since im weaning my youngest this seemed like a good idea, but it didnt really have anything in there I didnt have/ wouldnt have had in the other box anyway, but im wondering weather or not to carry on getting it delivered, but choosing what I want rather than a set box, or cancelling it all together? Ive just done my first fortnightly shop and obviously couldnt get all the fruit/ veg we need for 2 weeks, but do you think its cheaper to do it this way or good old Mr S? I cant decide what is best!
    Originally posted by bella121984
    I had a box delivered too and loved it, but some bits didn;t get used because I wasn't organised enough. I stopped because I find it much more cost efficient to shop for them myself. But I don't buy organic like I'd get in the box.
  • lou1981
    I had a small spend over the weekend Just 10.21 on lunch box stuff and some more fruit. This takes my total for this month to 48.21 so I need to be sensible so that we dont go over.
    We are looking into having a vegtable box delivery so that we can start tot ry more verg rather then going to the supermarket and buying the same things each week.
    Have a good day all.
    Louise x
    Jan Grocery Challenge 48.21/200
    NSD Jan5/10
    Clothing Challenge 6/200
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 10th Jan 11, 9:39 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Second small shop this week- 17 on some necessities and a couple of treats......still under budget and pay day soon .
    Hope everyone is doing well. Remember we don't succeed all the time, the main thing is to learn from your blips and remember you are only human!
    xx
  • sazzledazzle
    So far I have spent 48.76this month. I have plenty in the freezer to hopefully not need anything but maybe bread and milk this week so not going to pick up a basket when I next go in. Hopefully I will stay under my target but it has definately made me more aware of what I am spending and making sure we dont buy things just for the sake of it.
    MAY NSD's

• cat_smith
    Off to do a freezer audit so that I can plan meals more effectively. Anyone got any suggestions for using up frozen broad beans? OH picked them up instead of peas by accident, and I fancy something more interesting than just as a veg with roast.
    GC Mar 13 47.36/150
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,903Posts Today

8,122Users online

Martin's Twitter