Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 2nd Sep 04, 10:16 AM
    • 12,776Posts
    • 12,609Thanks
    Chris25
    What To Do With Apples?
    • 2nd Sep 04, 10:16 AM
    What To Do With Apples? 2nd Sep 04 at 10:16 AM
    The apples have already started dropping off our trees (mix of eating & cooking) like crazy.

Apart from making the usual stewed, apple pies/crumbles and giving to friends, how can I use them?

There is a recipe from caterina, on another thread for apple oatmeal bars which i'm going to try but does anyone else have some ideas?
Page 1
  • Lillibet
    • 2nd Sep 04, 12:18 PM
    Re: What To Do With Apples?
    • 2nd Sep 04, 12:18 PM
    Press & strain for apple juice (it freezes well). I think Lakeland Plastics sell all the equipment but you can probably cobble it together at home for a lot less cash. Primarily you need a muslin lined strainer & some patience
  • filigree
    • 2nd Sep 04, 12:33 PM
    • 2nd Sep 04, 12:33 PM
    Jams, jellies, chutneys, fruit cheeses etc. I think you can make wine out of them, too.
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 2nd Sep 04, 2:14 PM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    • 2nd Sep 04, 2:14 PM
    • 2nd Sep 04, 2:14 PM
    Lillibet, I do make apple juice (our favourite is from (Granny Smiths) but never thought to freeze it, many thanks

Filigree, not too keen on chutney; although I could make some from Christmas fete, especially if I can get some green toms from a friend and although we've made other wines, never made apple but might give it a go.

Cider would be better though
  • cathy
    • 3rd Sep 04, 1:02 AM
    • 3rd Sep 04, 1:02 AM

My Diet Apple Jelly

2 pkts unflavored gelatin
    2pts Unsweetened apple juice
    2 tb Lemon juice
    2 tb Liquid artificial sweetener
    Food colouring; if desired

In a saucepan, soften gelatin in apple and lemon juice. Bring to a rolling boil, dissolving gelatin; boil 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in liquid sweetener and food colouring. Pour hot into hot sterelised jars. Adjust caps. Store in refrigerator up to three weeks. makes about 4 jars

apple sauce

Apple Sauce

8 md To 10 Tart Apples; peeled, cored, and sliced
    4 oz Orange Juice
    4 oz Sugar
    1 tb Orange Rind; grated

Place all the ingredients in the slow cooker, or heavy based pan on low heat. cover, and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

lovely for christmas dinner if you freeze it now

• Chris25
    • By Chris25 3rd Sep 04, 10:24 AM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    • 3rd Sep 04, 10:24 AM
    • 3rd Sep 04, 10:24 AM
    Cathy, many thanks

apple jelly..... you've reminded me that many. many years ago I made apple & sage and apple & mint jelly. If I can't find those recipes, i'll try yours with the herbs chucked in. Thinking on it...........I'll use yours instead anyway as the waistline has been spreading for many, many years. ;D ;D

apple sauce........6-8 hours cooking? but i will give it a bash - poss this weekend and let you know the result. It sounds yummy with the orange.
  • cathy
    • 3rd Sep 04, 3:05 PM
    • 3rd Sep 04, 3:05 PM
    I thought the 6 hours was a bit much, but tasted it out of friends slow cooker and it was the best ive ever tasted must be cos the flavours have time to seep out

she adds a dash of brandy to some for christmas dinner as well

• Chris25
    • By Chris25 4th Sep 04, 7:23 PM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    • 4th Sep 04, 7:23 PM
    • 4th Sep 04, 7:23 PM
    .....brandy - now that's my drink!! It's probably good with Calvados as well (the sauce, that is!)
    • dawnylou
    • By dawnylou 6th Sep 04, 12:23 AM
    • 3,105 Posts
    • 51,501 Thanks
    dawnylou
    • 6th Sep 04, 12:23 AM
    • 6th Sep 04, 12:23 AM
    For apple sauce we just boil apples in a pan of water til softened, drain the water and then mash with a potato masher. Don't forget to add your sugar!

Only takes about 15 minutes and goes great on the side of a pork chop sat on a bed of leeks and peppers.

Very tasty, low fat + at least 2 portions of fruit and veg !
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 6th Sep 04, 9:53 AM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    ........ I've never thought of making sauce that way before - do you peel the apples before or after cooking?
    you could do it in the microwave too.

I usually put an apple or two in the oven while the meat cooks, then scoop out of the flesh, mix either chopped onion or garlic and cinammon or herbs, then put it back in the oven in foil.

A friend suggested that I make dried apple rings but i tried them before, unsuccessfully - they came out looking a very unappetising spotted brown, despite my soaking them in lemon! I ended up dusting them with spices and using them as Christmas decs with orange and red grapefruit slices.
    • By 16011996 6th Sep 04, 10:37 AM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    i make apple sauce as dawnylou, but add chopped sage to mine. lovely with roast potatoes. mmmm.
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 12th Sep 04, 9:29 AM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    Cathy, tried out the apple sauce in the slowcooker and it has a lovely consistency, let alone that smell with the orange! Heaven! BUT it was very sweet for me.

I did use tart apples but I suppose orange juice varies in it's sweetness and when I make sauce, I don't add any sugar.

I think next time, I'll use this recipe and I'd leave out the sugar and try it with some cinnamon. Ooh - I'm just imagining an even more heavenly, spicy, Christmassy smell
    Many thanks
    • cattie
    • By cattie 12th Sep 04, 8:05 PM
    • 7,979 Posts
    • 5,497 Thanks
    cattie
    How about freezing some stewed apples to use in the winter? This is what I've started to do with the glut of my cooking apples, especially now my neighbours & I have them coming out of our ears!
    • Redrose
    • By Redrose 19th Aug 06, 3:23 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    Redrose
    apples - granny smiths
    son brought home 24 granny smith apples....

any ideas what i can make with them?
    was thinking about apple crumble - or do i need cooking apples?

thanks.
    Going start looking after the pennies, and the pounds will take care of them selves
    • twink
    • By twink 19th Aug 06, 3:45 PM
    • 3,806 Posts
    • 26,264 Thanks
    twink
    no these apples should be fine for a crumble you just wont need so much sugar on them
    • twink
    • By twink 19th Aug 06, 4:10 PM
    • 3,806 Posts
    • 26,264 Thanks
    twink
    you can peel and slice them into water with some lemon juice if you have, to keep them white while you peel them all, then take them out and put enough for a crumble in freezer bags and pop in the freezer, they will keep for a good while
  • doddsy
    you can peel and slice them into water with some lemon juice if you have, to keep them white while you peel them all, then take them out and put enough for a crumble in freezer bags and pop in the freezer, they will keep for a good while
    by twink
    Salt water keeps them white as well and makes no difference to the taste when you have cooked them.
    doddsy
  • abbecer
    loads of apples!!!
    I have loads of apples ready to come off of my tree. They are eating apples not baking apples although they are still a bit tart. Anyone got any ideas apart from usual crumble, stewed apples, baked apples etc. Thanks in advance.

Rebecca x
  • janeym8
    id buy a juicer and make lots of apple juice-fresh and tasty and delicious-we`ve just bought one and its fab

janey xxx
  • abbecer
    janeym8,

Thanks for that. Do you know if i could freeze the apple juice as there really are loads of apples.

Rebecca x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

405Posts Today

5,510Users online

Martin's Twitter