Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Dec 10, 1:15 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    • 25th Dec 10, 1:15 AM
    25th Dec 10 at 1:15 AM
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2011, a new decade and a new beginning!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month and may I take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy New Year! Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-12-2010 at 9:09 AM.
Page 42
  • rosieben
    Yeah major fail! We went shopping late on - bought a few whoopsie butties for dinner today and ended up spending the remainder of this weeks budget! I got all stuff on my list as well as the whoopsies, and left with a fiver!

So Salski - this week 65/70 - major fail!
    Originally posted by salski
    Its not a fail, you still have a fiver left! and if you've got everything on your list there might be not much more to spend this week? Be positive!!

... P.S. This is my first attempt at multi quoting - hope it works

ETA: Sort of worked, but the second quote didn't come out in the nice box like the first
    Originally posted by XSpender
    if you put a ] at the end of [QUOTE=Sunflower1227;39955952
    it should correct it (needs open and close square brackets at each end of a quote IYSWIM)
    Last edited by rosieben; 06-01-2011 at 12:35 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Hmm
    Hi All,

I know I'm a bit late, but can I join in and say 100 for me and DH for January please...this is for all food and toiletries. Made tomato and basil soup for lunches this week and going to try a new recipe this evening for potato crust quiche as I'm not too keen on pastry crusts.....
  • moonpixiewitch
    but i have half a can of coconut milk left to use up
    Originally posted by kippers
    I use coconut milk in sponge cakes - just omit the cows milk or one of the eggs in the recipe and replace the vanilla extract with lime or lemon juice
    Started my own business and loving being my own boss
    march gc 144/230
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 6th Jan 11, 12:48 PM
    • 4,324 Posts
    • 29,765 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi...id like to climb back on the gc bandwagon

im going for a budget of 30 a week in jan as im well stocked...thats for x2 adults and x2 kids

good luck everyone
    tessa
    onwards and upwards
  • wssla00
    Hey all anyone got any ideas for a birthday cake? I'm stuck!!!

I have everything you would need- vanilla, orange, ginger, mixed spice, (he doesn't like chocolate) eggs, all flours, icing, butter etc etc

If you can think of anything please let me know!

xx
    Feb GC: 200 Spent: 190.79
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 6th Jan 11, 12:52 PM
    • 3,346 Posts
    • 34,469 Thanks
    XSpender
    Hey all anyone got any ideas for a birthday cake? I'm stuck!!!

I have everything you would need- vanilla, orange, ginger, mixed spice, (he doesn't like chocolate) eggs, all flours, icing, butter etc etc

If you can think of anything please let me know!

xx
    Originally posted by wssla00
    Does he like coffee cake? I have a real winner of a coffee cake recipe that always goes down well.
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 6th Jan 11, 1:11 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    well thats another 4 for me thats the twins snack money for nursery
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
  • helen jelly
    Does he like coffee cake? I have a real winner of a coffee cake recipe that always goes down well.
    Originally posted by XSpender
    I'd love the coffee cake recipe please - love coffee cake yum yum

Updated siggy - DH went to the shope for milk and veg

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
  • wssla00
    Oooh! Coffee cake! That's sorted then
    Feb GC: 200 Spent: 190.79
    • maz1964
    • By maz1964 6th Jan 11, 2:00 PM
    • 876 Posts
    • 2,828 Thanks
    maz1964
    Wish to join please 300 per month - 3600 per year
    hiya all

id saved this thread and had been viewing each day but wasnt sure what id go for , so for this first month going to go for 300

thats for 3 adults and a child

im planning to do a freezer, fridge and cupboard listing and then as i add or run out my shopping list will be added to daily. (well thats a bit of an inspiring thought from me, lol hope it works though would be helpful)

im going to also include toileteries and then see what was spent on that and what was spent on food, on a seperate note im going to be doing the budget sheet from the site and see where i can account for stuff to the penny.

it s a new way of doing this budgeting for me so might as well give it a good shot from the start and pick up tips as i go along this month,

loved all the tips so far ive read here thank you

have a fun day catch up laters MAZ
    Sealed Pot Challenge member 1525

"Knowledge is the Power to get Debt Free"

Truecall device, stops all the unneccesary phone calls - my sanity has been restored and the peace in the house is truely priceless!
    • SilverBird
    • By SilverBird 6th Jan 11, 2:11 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 2,107 Thanks
    SilverBird
    Spent 9 at the butchers today. Only have 3.02 of the 20 cash left now so will be using the M&S voucher on my next shopping trip, hopefully not until this time next week.
    #Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain #We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us #If you focus on what you have left behind, you will never see what lies ahead - Gusteau/Ratatouille
    GC 2018: 2,104.01/2,160 total spend
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 6th Jan 11, 2:17 PM
    • 3,346 Posts
    • 34,469 Thanks
    XSpender
    Coffee Cake Recipe
    4 eggs, beaten
    2 heaped tsps instant coffee
    8oz soft margerine
    8oz SR flour
    8oz caster sugar
    2 tsps baking powder

For the filling & topping:

2oz margerine
    6oz icing sugar
    1tbsp coffee essence or 1 heaped tsp instant coffee disolved in 1 tblsp hot water
    1 tbsp milk

Pre heat oven to 180/350/Gas 4. Grease and base line 2 x 8 inch sandwich tins.

Place the eggs in a bowl and stir in the coffee until dissolved. Add the remaining ingredients and beat well until thoroughly blended.

Divide between the 2 tins and level out.

Bake for about 25 mins until well risen and the top of the cake is springy. Leave to cool for a minute or 2 then turn onto a rack to cool completely.

To make the butter cream, blend together marg, icing sugar and coffee/water or essence until smooth. Add the milk if necessary.

Sandwich the 2 cakes together with half the buttercream and spread the rest on the top. Decorate with walnut halves, chocolate curls, choc drops or whatever you have to hand.

I tend to make double this amount of buttercream to sandwich and cover the top of the cake and pipe rossettes on.
    Last edited by XSpender; 06-01-2011 at 2:18 PM. Reason: Forgot the flour!
    • Pernicious
    • By Pernicious 6th Jan 11, 2:50 PM
    • 1,786 Posts
    • 8,895 Thanks
    Pernicious
    Hiya,

I've only just seen this thread & would like to join in please?

Due to a bit of an overspend at the sales (for much needed items I should add) we weren't left with much in the joint account for food, so for the first time ever I made a meal plan for the rest of the month & so far so good - luckily we had a lot in the freezer already so I'm left with about 30 for fresh bits for the rest of the month for the two of us, I'm hoping my calculations are correct & it can be done!

Good luck everyone!
    Debt at July 2012: 12,862.57
    Current Debt: 0
    100% paid off!
    Savings Goal for November 2016: 5000
    Current Savings: 1176.24
    23.52% Saved!
  • helen jelly
    XSpender - thanks for the recipe - much easier than the 1 I had!!

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
  • lou1981
    Hello Ladies, OMG this thread is fast moving!!! I have had another NSD today so I am doing well normally I have spent loads popping to the corner shop for stuff we dont really need!!!I am well on my way to being at least on budget this month.
    I have stretched some mince out and we had lasagne last night and beef cobbler tonight and what is lovely is its all cooked and ready to go, Apart from the cobbles. I have also made a butternut squash soup for luches today, just waiting for it to cool and then I will blend.
    Thanks for the motivation and inspiration ladies.
    louise x
    Jan Grocery Challenge 48.21/200
    NSD Jan5/10
    Clothing Challenge 6/200
  • scotsaver
    I've been reading through the threads, and found alot of comments about people splitting their shopping between different stores... Certainly in my area I have to drive to any of the main supermarkets and occasionally send my son to the local shop for the odd pint of milk. In the main I try to be "good" and only go food shopping once a week and on a full stomach! - I really overspend if I shop when I'm hungry! But my question is, is it worth splitting the shopping like this? Does the amount of money saved outweigh the extra cost in fuel? Thanks!
    Originally posted by Tracey2609
    Tracey2609 - I'm lucky as I have a Morrisons, Tesco and Lidl's within walking distance and at a stretch an Asda within walking distance although I usually take the Car if I'm going there as it's in a Town Centre with other shops.

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone

Originally posted by Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq - so good to see you back - Happy New Year to you too.

I usually use this -

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/main-ingredient/lemon/lemon-curd.html

Cos it uses whole eggs it means you wouldn't have loads of whites to use up. I have my lemons in the freezer, all juiced and zested in little pots of four ready to use (go loads last year of Asda unwaxed ones at silly prices)
    Originally posted by JayJay14
    JayJay14 - this is the Recipe that I always use and in fact made a batch yesterday - love Delia Smith recipes as they are so easy to follow.

Mothership - made the Xmas pud scones today, had to Product test one and they are delicious - thanks for Recipe.

Dinner tonight is HM Cottage Pie, peas, sweetcorn and cabbage. No need for pudding as we will be eating the Xmas Pud scones.

Have a good evening everyone.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• sazzledazzle
    ok another 14.97 today but I was so different in Mr S. I kept looking at things and then thinking no as that will add another 2 on your target, so this is definately working. I also got a few of next weeks bits as quite a few good haf price offers so got meat for pack lunch and crisps which I would have had to buy on sunday. Put the 1 that it said I had saved from a multi buy in my sealed pot.
    MAY NSD's

• jammy dodger
    • By jammy dodger 6th Jan 11, 3:43 PM
    • 1,112 Posts
    • 5,384 Thanks
    jammy dodger
    updated sig

spent 12.68 today

bought some fresh haddock from the harbour for tea Mmmmm looks fine

i went to mr T but didnt get some of the items off my list the prices on fruit juice were shocking exploiting the healthy option shoppers at this time of year me thinks ...

i was buying the large tropicana before xmas 2 for 4 now its advertised on "offer" 2 for 6 refuse to pay it
    also had no value natural yoghurt to make my naan breads with again refused to buy there more expensive option so left without

bought gokat and stuck to my list
    has anyone tried lidl dry cat food well i mean have they given it to there cat not tried it themselves

though someone might of ha ha

i saw it was much cheaper than gokat just moved my cat on to dried stuff so much cheaper than sachets now have dog on dried and it suits him fine

always looking for a better alternative

rant over

keep up with the good work , its such an incenative to save rather than shoving items willy nilly into the trolley like i used to

jd xx
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 6th Jan 11, 3:54 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 8,701 Thanks
    minnie2
    well another NSD today!! thats 6days so far!!

not sure if i should dare ask this question or not but is it better to do one big shop and see how long it last or specifiically buy as you go?
  • rosieben
    XSpender, I've added your Coffee cake recipe to the index

I think I'll be trying that one myself with walnuts on top <<insert drooling smiley here>>
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,801Posts Today

8,012Users online

Martin's Twitter