Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • whitegoods_engineer
    • By whitegoods_engineer 6th Jan 11, 10:13 AM
    • 584 Posts
    • 762 Thanks
    whitegoods_engineer
    • 6th Jan 11, 10:13 AM
    • 6th Jan 11, 10:13 AM
    I couldn't give a toss
    • mattytun
    • By mattytun 6th Jan 11, 10:15 AM
    • 13,627 Posts
    • 238,226 Thanks
    mattytun
    • 6th Jan 11, 10:15 AM
    • 6th Jan 11, 10:15 AM
    I couldn't give a toss
    Originally posted by whitegoods_engineer
    .sorry had to laff.........
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd
    • mattytun
    • By mattytun 6th Jan 11, 10:19 AM
    • 13,627 Posts
    • 238,226 Thanks
    mattytun
    • 6th Jan 11, 10:19 AM
    • 6th Jan 11, 10:19 AM
    You could ask for adrian chiles & christine bleakley clothes martin because they will be out of a job soon anyways because daybreak gets no viewers.
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd
  • missmac
    • 6th Jan 11, 11:08 AM
    Jacket
    • 6th Jan 11, 11:08 AM
    I must admit I did notice your grey jacket this morning on Daybreak/transformation st and think it was a change from your "norm"....& also thought it would suit my husband too! I always buy/have a big say on what he wears - subtly of course
  • Errata
    • 6th Jan 11, 11:13 AM
    • 6th Jan 11, 11:13 AM
    As times get harder, workplace clothing is becoming more formal. Clearly the stripes have become your USP, a jacket adds more gravitas.
    But for the love of all the saints don't leave more than the top button undone on the shirts. Any more than that resonates with Austin Powers/Peter Stringfellow/Medallion Man/chest wigs.
    .....................I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 6th Jan 11, 12:31 PM
    • 8,115 Posts
    • 42,285 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    • 6th Jan 11, 12:31 PM
    • 6th Jan 11, 12:31 PM
    I couldn't give a toss
    Originally posted by whitegoods_engineer
    Reciprocated
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
    • Sagz
    • By Sagz 6th Jan 11, 12:53 PM
    • 5,658 Posts
    • 8,396 Thanks
    Sagz
    • 6th Jan 11, 12:53 PM
    • 6th Jan 11, 12:53 PM
    You could ask for adrian chiles & christine bleakley clothes martin because they will be out of a job soon anyways because daybreak gets no viewers.
    Originally posted by mattytun
    I think Christine is a little narrower in the shoulders than Martin....
    Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree!
    • Sceptic001
    • By Sceptic001 6th Jan 11, 1:11 PM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 853 Thanks
    Sceptic001
    • 6th Jan 11, 1:11 PM
    • 6th Jan 11, 1:11 PM
    I heard you this lunchtime on Radio 5 Live giving the bloke flogging premium bank accounts a hard time and never gave a thought to your clothes. Radio is so much better because people are not distracted by irrelevancies.
    • sonyhamster
    • By sonyhamster 6th Jan 11, 4:29 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    sonyhamster
    I hate stripey shirts! I always go for plain or checked!
    • Nile
    • By Nile 6th Jan 11, 5:01 PM
    • 14,406 Posts
    • 14,378 Thanks
    Nile
    So................it's (the jacket) not just to hide a middle-aged spread or podgy tum after eating too many mince pies then?
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 6th Jan 11, 10:12 PM
    • 10,475 Posts
    • 38,102 Thanks
    luxor4t
    Round here a dark jacket plus jeans is known as a 'Merthyr suit'. The look is not restricted to that town though!
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • fredflowerpot
    i have always thought you look great in what you wear,hench that is why no one has ever coomentied on how you dress,sadly i am only just getting to bed when day break is on so sadly havent seen the new you ....jet
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 7th Jan 11, 12:39 AM
    • 26,893 Posts
    • 71,992 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    You're growing up Martin! My husband and his friends are your age and each day or indeed evening out, the jeans and shirt are always finished by a blazer now.

I'm Mrs MSEs age and I like the more grown up look, haven't seen you yet but will look out
    Last edited by Doozergirl; 07-01-2011 at 12:41 AM.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • mikegamez
    • By mikegamez 7th Jan 11, 6:01 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 2,135 Thanks
    mikegamez
    I'm 40ish and the Kids are now taking the mick out of my new VERY WHITE trainers I wear with Tesco's value jeans to the pub - is it time for a change??
    "He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask is a fool for ever." (traditional Chinese proverb)
  • Simmo_22
    I'm sure you could find some shirts here...
    I just bought my boyfriend some shirts online from T.M.Lewin - they, like the rest of the high-street, have a sale on at the moment!

There were some shirts for as little as 20, with most of the ones that are usually more expensive for 25. Non-iron shirts were reduced too. I'm sure you could find stripey or plain shirts on there for your 'new uniform'!

I can't post a link on here because I only just registered, but I'm sure you could find their site through Google (I did!).
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 7th Jan 11, 8:02 AM
    • 8,115 Posts
    • 42,285 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    I just bought my boyfriend some shirts online from T.M.Lewin - they, like the rest of the high-street, have a sale on at the moment!

There were some shirts for as little as 20, with most of the ones that are usually more expensive for 25. Non-iron shirts were reduced too. I'm sure you could find stripey or plain shirts on there for your 'new uniform'!

I can't post a link on here because I only just registered, but I'm sure you could find their site through Google (I did!).
    Originally posted by Simmo_22
    TM Lewin & Hawkes and Curtis sales often provide my shirts
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
    • amandada
    • By amandada 7th Jan 11, 8:29 AM
    • 1,134 Posts
    • 1,201 Thanks
    amandada
    Just don't start wearing a tie too-you'll look like you've borrowed your dad's clothes!
    • Percy1983
    • By Percy1983 7th Jan 11, 11:57 AM
    • 4,990 Posts
    • 7,824 Thanks
    Percy1983
    I think a bow-tie and fez is in order... they are cool!

As it is I never thought too deeply about your appearance but do think the balance is just right.
    • Comyface
    • By Comyface 7th Jan 11, 12:28 PM
    • 637 Posts
    • 546 Thanks
    Comyface
    I made a point of noticing this morning (normally wouldn't give a purple one) and thought you looked very dapper. Like it.
    Are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,202Posts Today

6,433Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin