Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • nat21luv
    • By nat21luv 4th Jan 11, 11:58 PM
    • 3,361 Posts
    • 27,370 Thanks
    nat21luv
    • 4th Jan 11, 11:58 PM
    • 4th Jan 11, 11:58 PM
    I've justbeen to Tesco and stumbled across wrapping paper, tags and bows between 12p-50p. I bought a pack of wrapping stuff(4xpaper, 6bows and ribbon) that was 5 now 75p and the best bit? its still on 3 for 2 on selected items!!
    12k in 2017 #36= 450 30k by Jan 2018= 15909 53.03% 80lbs (13.12.16)

**MONEY MAKES ME HAPPY**
    • Yorkielass
    • By Yorkielass 5th Jan 11, 12:38 AM
    • 2,222 Posts
    • 9,044 Thanks
    Yorkielass
    • 5th Jan 11, 12:38 AM
    • 5th Jan 11, 12:38 AM
    This Christmas I used mincemeat and Christmas puddings bought after Christmas last year or possibly the year before, all really cheap, kept fine and a couple of less things to buy this year.
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 07-01-2011 at 4:07 PM.
    The great declutter 2015 "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
    Became Mortgage Free Wannabe 28/08/13
    Mortgage at start (Aug 2012) 165099 - MFD Aug 2042
    Mortgage now (November 2015) 132020.04 - MFD March 2036 - Aiming for 2025
    • Claire Bear
    • By Claire Bear 5th Jan 11, 12:52 AM
    • 1,372 Posts
    • 3,047 Thanks
    Claire Bear
    • 5th Jan 11, 12:52 AM
    • 5th Jan 11, 12:52 AM
    Yep, last year I bought loads of jars of Mr S posh mincemeat reduced to 10p per jar, it doesn't go out of date for about 3 or 4 years I think! I always buy gift wrap/ribbons/cards etc in the sales and put away til next year, good to write a list of what you bought though so you don't get the same again. Reduced toiletries gift sets from Boots, Superdrug etc are good to buy and use in hampers next year, lots of small stocking filler gifts go down to a couple of pounds so worth putting aside. Even good to stock up on things like this to use for birthdays throughout the year as well.
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 07-01-2011 at 4:08 PM.
    D'you know, in 900 years of space and time, I've never met anyone who wasn't important
    The Doctor

Taste The Rainbow
    • esmf73
    • By esmf73 5th Jan 11, 1:59 AM
    • 1,772 Posts
    • 14,248 Thanks
    esmf73
    • 5th Jan 11, 1:59 AM
    • 5th Jan 11, 1:59 AM
    This year so far I have got wrapping paper, cards, crackers, lights, baubles and a couple of presents for teenagers. Have also got all the things I need to make the majority of next years with. Always like to buy in the sales as long as it doesn't go off. Got some goose fat for the roasties as well. Will be looking out for the cheap mincemeat as it comes down in price!

Cheapest thing though has to be the christmas cake - didn't even get it out of the freezer!!
    2014 will be all about ME!
    ( well that hasn't happened!!!)
    Mortgage free. Will be debt free in Nov 2014. Credit card 250
  • icelandic queen
    • 5th Jan 11, 8:30 AM
    • 5th Jan 11, 8:30 AM
    I bought some chocolates and mince pies yesterday to keep for Christmas 2011 as they had a really long best before date. Unfortunately I've already ate 2 of the mince pies!!! But got my pudding, brandy sauce, crackers and biscuits in the sales in Jan 2010 for Christmas past, which was good as money was really tight!
  • funkymonkey849
    • 5th Jan 11, 8:45 AM
    • 5th Jan 11, 8:45 AM
    I got three packs of christmas cards from asda for 3p each
    • cyclingyorkie
    • By cyclingyorkie 5th Jan 11, 8:54 AM
    • 4,198 Posts
    • 59,581 Thanks
    cyclingyorkie
    • 5th Jan 11, 8:54 AM
    • 5th Jan 11, 8:54 AM
    crackers, wrapping paper and christmas puddings - best before date is in 2013! Should be nicely matured by Christmas 2011!

Am off into town today - will continue looking.

I get a lot for my daughters through Boots no 7 vouchers - they're already doing them this year! I think you only have to spend 5 to get a 5 off voucher - so I will be stocking up on bits of makeup
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 07-01-2011 at 4:09 PM.
    Flylady and proud of it
    • dipashah
    • By dipashah 5th Jan 11, 11:17 AM
    • 419 Posts
    • 2,753 Thanks
    dipashah
    • 5th Jan 11, 11:17 AM
    Argos Jewellery Roll Reduced to 1.99
    • 5th Jan 11, 11:17 AM
    Argos have a jewellery roll reduced from 9.99 to 1.99

It is available in black or cream

black:
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2611497/Trail/searchtext>JEWELLERY+ROLL.htm

available at this price until 21st Jan

cream: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2612960/Trail/searchtext>JEWELLERY+ROLL.htm

available at this price until 11th Jan

Will make great pressie for anytime of yr! Off to collect mine later today!
  • xAlisonx
    Two 10m rolls of wrapping paper for 10p each at Asda When I get time I'm going to check out the card shops for nice cheap xmas cards
    • gailey
    • By gailey 5th Jan 11, 11:33 AM
    • 2,303 Posts
    • 17,249 Thanks
    gailey
    Think it was card market or card warehouse brought

10rolls wrapping paper for quid so 10p a roll.
    cards were 50p a pack so got enough for adults and everyone in daughters class next year spent total of 4quid but would love to find some cheap bows, ribbon and foil wrappping paper will keep looking.

cut up this years cards and made tags

2years ago brought load of xmas decorations in house of fraser closing down sale in july.
    So half our tree looked nice but the cheap wilko decorations not fared well so pledged to look in sales for new ones.

Bingo-monsoon accessorize have whopping 70percent off their decorations that were 4quid, 3.75 and 3.50 per decoration.
    They quality, quite heavy, handcrafted, some glittert really nice worked out at 1.05, 1,12 and 1.20 per dec brought 15 for about 16quid fullprice would have been 60quid.
    Thourght hubby be mad but hes surprisingly happy.

whsmith have fab book sale but bit skint now.

got co-op savings card if you save 48pounds and spend in dec they will give you free 2pounds.

Havent really had chance to do boots they not seem to have done as much this year.

Will continue to make some hm stuff throughout year so got lots of pressies well thats the plan.
    pad by xmas2010 14,636.65/20,000:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 15008.02/15,000

new grocery challenge 200/250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON,Onwards and upward2013
    • lostinrates
    • By lostinrates 5th Jan 11, 11:35 AM
    • 53,931 Posts
    • 342,642 Thanks
    lostinrates
    There is a lot that will last food wise....mincemeat,christmas puddings etc. I ALWAYS buy cards in January, and keep them for a year or preferably two, that way there is less chance as sending out the same cards as someone else. Though this year I hardly sent any.
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 5th Jan 11, 12:06 PM
    • 8,736 Posts
    • 61,001 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    So far I have got :
    • Christmas Pudding for 50p
    • mincemeat for 50p
    • paper (10 x 20p for 8m rolls)
    • Wines and Spirits at pre vat increase prices
    • tags 29p
    • cards half price
    • bows half price
    • Some new decorations @ 25p each
    • a couple of boxes of christmas crackers (Reduced from 10 to 5)
    • and a few pressies for birthdays and some for Christmas 2011
    I have also started my Christmas pot (1 a day)
    Last edited by Butterfly Brain; 05-01-2011 at 12:14 PM.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • adelight
    I got some 75% off glittery decorations from paperchase, they're nice all year round but the glittery animal bauballs are away for now And some mothers day/birthday presents from the asos beauty sale. I've bought a pack of cards(i don't send many!) but don't need and can't store much else.
    Living cheap in central London
    • rosie383
    • By rosie383 5th Jan 11, 12:43 PM
    • 4,707 Posts
    • 10,359 Thanks
    rosie383
    Little tip here. If you're anything like me, you will forget where you put half the stuff you buy.
    So on your shiny, new calendar, (bought really cheap in the sale, obviously) write where you hid the stuff on your December page.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    • gailey
    • By gailey 5th Jan 11, 12:46 PM
    • 2,303 Posts
    • 17,249 Thanks
    gailey
    Ohh forget paperchase wonder if they do online.

All this talk of things that would last and fact a lot of us old stylers do hampers with homemade goodies made me explore as did hamper for dad half shop brought and half made by me which he loved.

Whittards online and I guess in store has some cute tins of xmas tea, coffee and hot chocolate at half price 2quid thinking they must be long dated and maybe be good idea for next xmas not just in hampers but could do

cheap mug
    hot choc
    marshmallows wrapped in cellopahne and bow.

or cheap mug with tea/coffee and bicscuits which would have to be brought nearer time as too shortdated.

Tempted to get a few of each at that price as sure they make lovley gift for someone

Thorntons had good sale but short dated.
    Maybe things like jellybeans or sweets be ok.
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 07-01-2011 at 4:11 PM.
    pad by xmas2010 14,636.65/20,000:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 15008.02/15,000

new grocery challenge 200/250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON,Onwards and upward2013
  • bizzybizzybee
    Little tip here. If you're anything like me, you will forget where you put half the stuff you buy.
    So on your shiny, new calendar, (bought really cheap in the sale, obviously) write where you hid the stuff on your December page.
    Originally posted by rosie383
    This is a great tip - for 5+ years now, I have, on 12th night, noted on the December page where our sparkly fibre optic Christmas tree is being stored. I can't tell you how many freezing, fruitless hours spent foraging in the garage/loft/shed and more for it this has saved me....... and now, every December, I feel so smug and efficient!!!
    :confused: I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.....
    • frankietwospots
    • By frankietwospots 5th Jan 11, 1:01 PM
    • 440 Posts
    • 792 Thanks
    frankietwospots
    Great thread! So far I have bought Xmas cards (best buy was a box of 24 cards from Paperchase for 1), wrapping paper & tags (half price at Boots), several lovely scarves from the Boden clearance sale (8.50 reduced from 29), a half price whisky set from M&S for my dad and I've saved several bottles of Molton Brown shower gel from their price glitch last year.

I record all of my purchases in a spreadsheet so that I can keep a tally of what items I have bought and how much they cost. I also add in the ages of the various children I have to buy for (A LOT!) so that I can quickly look up their size when I see some bargain clothes for them instead of relying on my memory.

Another thing I do during the year is to keep various 'gifts with purchase' e.g. Clarins, Clinique and then give them to people in little gift bags as filler items.
    • betterlife
    • By betterlife 5th Jan 11, 1:01 PM
    • 851 Posts
    • 3,014 Thanks
    betterlife
    ive started my shopping already, ive bought my sis and her 6 kids presents all at 2 or under including sticker making machines in whsmiths reduced from 15 down to 2 bargain, ive also bought my sil 3 kids, a couple things for my kids and some bits for parents. i have a big box half full already.
    • Whalie
    • By Whalie 5th Jan 11, 1:04 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    Whalie
    BHS still had Christmas items at the weekend. I picked up some new Christmas lights for 3.50 - were 15.00.

Smiths Christmas cards half price but I usually wait a week or so and then they really drop the prices...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,315Posts Today

7,468Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin