Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • indierocker85
    • By indierocker85 4th Jan 11, 10:33 AM
    • 2,001 Posts
    • 1,744 Thanks
    indierocker85
    • 4th Jan 11, 10:33 AM
    • 4th Jan 11, 10:33 AM
    That happened to me at a premier inn in Kensington and Chelsea borough at about the same time funnily enough in May last year. Seemed somewhat coincidental that they had an asbestos wagon outside and they were fiddling with ceiling tiles. Then suddenly the fire alarm goes off and the receptionist says "somebody has probably used the shower with the bathroom door open. They are very sensitive". ;-)
    Live for what tomorrow has to bring, not what yesterday has taken away
    • katsu
    • By katsu 4th Jan 11, 10:46 AM
    • 4,482 Posts
    • 13,960 Thanks
    katsu
    • 4th Jan 11, 10:46 AM
    • 4th Jan 11, 10:46 AM
    Getting kicked out of the hotel due to a fire alarm happened to the whole bridal party for a wedding we went to once. This was before the time of the service so lots of half dressed members of the bridal party stood around in the street worrying about how the photos would look if there was no time to get dressed before the service started
    Debt at highest: 8k Debt Free 31/12/2009 (nine years and counting ) Original MFD: May 2036. MF Dec 2018
  • irrelevant
    • 4th Jan 11, 9:40 PM
    • 4th Jan 11, 9:40 PM
    Best I can do was sometime in the late 1980s, at an evening meeting on the 33rd floor of Euston Tower when the fire alarm went off. By the time we'd walked all the way down the emergency stairs, we were met at the bottom by Security, who told us it was a false alarm; they'd tried phoning up to us as soon as they realised, us being about the only ones in the building, but by that time we'd all left the room!

We'd thought it great the views of London from up there... but after that, the meetings were arranged for a different building... on the ground floor!
    • rinoa778
    • By rinoa778 5th Jan 11, 2:57 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    rinoa778
    • 5th Jan 11, 2:57 PM
    • 5th Jan 11, 2:57 PM
    Aw Martin, I had a chuckle at your expense.

This happened to me but in reverse. I had been coming back from a gig at about 3am and was thinking about how to get to bed without waking up my hostel roommates. I needn't worry since everyone was gathered in the bar wearing sleepware. It turned out someone had set off the fire alarm. Me being an overthinker sometimes thought, oh no! What if they think it was me? I do smell of smoke (was in a smokey bar). It turned out it was a kid playing a prank and he got kicked out (police didn't charge him).
    Lurker extraordinaire! no. 4950

Food Shopping & Groceries is my favourite board.
    • erik99
    • By erik99 5th Jan 11, 3:42 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    erik99
    • 5th Jan 11, 3:42 PM
    It's different in Japan
    • 5th Jan 11, 3:42 PM
    We were on the 10th floor of a Japanese hotel about 11pm when the alarm went off. We went all the way down the fire-escape (I in my Homer Simpson shortie pyjamas, wife in her summer nightie) but all was quiet. We walked into reception, and when at last someone understood English, he just said "Sorry, mistake." So we got in the lift and went back up to the room. Nobody mentioned our attire, or even looked at us as if anything were strange. In Japan, you see, politeness really matters.
  • samuelpbaker
    • 14th Jan 11, 1:54 PM
    • 14th Jan 11, 1:54 PM
    Just before a swimming lesson at secondary school is much, much worse...
    • savemoney
    • By savemoney 26th Mar 11, 10:08 PM
    • 13,029 Posts
    • 11,626 Thanks
    savemoney
    • 26th Mar 11, 10:08 PM
    • 26th Mar 11, 10:08 PM
    FubAbigoF is posting inappropriate links in utility forum
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

20Posts Today

4,498Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Snap post #BBCOurNextPM poll: Who do you think did best. (I had to have two in one category, so I picked randoml? https://t.co/gYTNBBn3SP

• Emily Maitliss being v mean to Boris using his own past quotes against him on Heathrow, having an election when lea? https://t.co/4baNAlmMid

• Wow - impressive performance from the 15 year old climate change activist. Not sure I'd have had such confidence when still at school.

• Follow Martin