Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Dec 10, 1:15 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    • 25th Dec 10, 1:15 AM
    25th Dec 10 at 1:15 AM
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2011, a new decade and a new beginning!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month and may I take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy New Year! Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-12-2010 at 9:09 AM.
Page 27
  • katenut

I found a recipe for Sausage, Black Pudding, Bacon & Bean Stew in one of the Sunday papers, so I'll definitely be trying that this month. Although since joining the GC last year, I'm pretty sure I could make it without the recipe. You guys haven't just improved my spending habits, but also my cooking skills & knowledge.
    Originally posted by CherryPie
    Any chance of the recipe please CherryPie? DH would love that and we've got a whole load of Black Pudding and Sausages in the freezer! xx
    Trying to jump back onto the moneysaving wagon ....
  • Long tall sally
    I went shopping to Asdas today where I rarely go because it is not particularly near. I got some things on my list but not all they had sold out of Ketchup that were on offer & also forgot to get kitchen rolls & tinfoil. I also got some things that weren't on my list such as 4 packets of the gluten-free cereal that I seem to have so much trouble now geting from Sainsburys or Tescos plus 2 danish pastries because DD was with me & was hungry! Then popped into the Co Op on the way home looking for some whoopsied bread which they didn't have any of surprisingly but did get a huge whoopsied gammon joint for 7 which I really didn't need but we will have tomorrow for dinner anyway!
    Grocery aim 450pm.Spent 519 August, 584 July, 544 June, 541 May, 549 April, 517 March, 517 Feb,555 Jan, 573 Dec, 465Nov, 561Oct, 493Sept, 426Aug,496 Jul, 528Jun, 506May,498April, 558 March, 500Feb, 500 Jan, 490 Dec, 555 Nov,566 Oct, 505Sept, 450Aug, 410 July, 437 June, 491 May, 471 April, 440 March, 552Feb, 462Jan
  • scotsaver
    A NSD for me today.

Dinner tonight was HM Chicken Pie using leftover chicken from last night's roast, mash, peas and sweetcorn. No pudding as we've still got so many chocs etc to eat.

Made bread and rolls today ready for the old routine of packed lunches etc to start again tomorrow.

Off to put my feet up and meal plan for the rest of the week as I've made a note of what's in Fridge to be used up.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• slscarborough
    • By slscarborough 3rd Jan 11, 7:24 PM
    • 847 Posts
    • 1,934 Thanks
    slscarborough
    Just updated my sig as did a 31.23 shop at Nettos today. They had some real bargains though so I got alot for my money.

They had 1kg of chickens fillets for 4.00!! I am determined to come in under budget this month. I have found since following Slimming World my grocery spend has began spiralling.
  • Tracey2609
    I'd like to join the Grocery Challenge as well please - I'm a newbie, back on the forums after falling off the straight and narrow a couple of years ago. Determined to crack it in the next 18 months! My budget for shopping is going to be 100.00 a week (I'm drawing the cash out of my account - so that I don't put it on the debit card and spend more than I should which is always tempting! I know that 100 is alot, but I am going to keep a shopping list and a list of possible meals from the freezer and storecupboard. The idea is to eventually halve this amount: there are 3 of us, as well as a fussy elderly cat; a kitten and my dog. Whatever I don't spend over the week I want to pay off the credit card. I've done my first shop of the year - I spent 65.00. I've put 10 away in case I need to get milk or other things during the week, the rest is going back into the bank!
    Always be yourself, unless you can be a Unicorn - then always be a Unicorn !
    -----------------------------------------------------
    No More Buying Unnecessary Toiletries - Joined May 2013

28x UU
  • SuziQ1962
    Me again-have to add to my total as the loo roll eating monster had finished all of ours- unbeknownst to me- so DH had to get some from petrol station 2.30 for 4!!! :-@
    Am thinking of giving everyone their own personal one and seeing who can make it last the longest!
    Have made two lots of flap jack for lunch boxes ,doing some cakes and planning a NSD tomorrow!
    "Sealed Pot challenge" member No 1099 2011/26.00
    Crazy clothes challenge 2012-Budget 28.90/100
    January 2012 Grocery challenge 378.27/240
    14/16 NSD in January
    2012 Weight loss challenge -5lbs
  • JayJay14
    Had my first spend of the month today - though A$da was heaving, worse than before Xmas. Spent 5.97 on Branston Beans (1 for four - always stock up at that price), Orange juice @ 50p litre, and some fruit and nachos (to have with HM chilli).

Otherwise have plenty in and just need to stop myself buying stuff I don't need.

Cherry Pie - is it just a case of bunging the saus, black pud and other stuff into a dish and perhaps a sprinkling of cheese? If so, you could do it as a one pot complete meal by pouring it over cooked potato wedges and cook through and brown the cheese. I used to do something similar without the black pud, but it would be an improvement to add it I think.
    • CherryPie
    • By CherryPie 3rd Jan 11, 8:03 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 5,349 Thanks
    CherryPie
    Any chance of the recipe please CherryPie? DH would love that and we've got a whole load of Black Pudding and Sausages in the freezer! xx
    Originally posted by katenut

Just typing it up for my recipe file anyway, so I'll post it on here when I'm done

My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - 46.73 / 100.00
  • Mothership
    Just wanted to say something to all of you.
    I've been a member for just over a year now, and nearly left a few times because of some folk giving others a hard time. One of the things that drew me to this thread was how lovely all the people on it are.
    I'd just like to let you all know how much I appreciate the warmth and the support you all give each other, its just delightful.
    • CherryPie
    • By CherryPie 3rd Jan 11, 8:37 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 5,349 Thanks
    CherryPie
    Sausage, Black Pudding, Bacon & Bean Stew
    Serves 4/6

12 Sausages
    1 onion finely chopped
    1 leek, chopped
    1 stick celery, chopped
    4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    2 bay leaves
    1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
    300g black pudding, sliced
    8 slices bacon, diced
    400g cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
    200g tin kidney beans
    1 potato peeled & diced
    1 sweet potato, peeled & diced
    150ml white wine
    1 lt chicken stock
    Salt & pepper
    2 tbsp olive oil

Method
    Fry the sausages in a pan in a little oil to brown on all sides
    Remove sausages and use oil to fry onions, leek, celery, bacon, and garlic gently for 5 mins
    Add the wine, thyme, bay leaves & stock and bring to the boil
    Turn down to a simmer and add the sausages
    After 45 mins add the potatoes, sweet potatoes and beans and crumble in about a quarter of the black pudding, then simmer for another 40 mins
    Meanwhile, cook the rest of the black pudding then crumble in to the stew at the end of cooking, and season to taste with salt & pepper.
    Optional Fry or poach 4/6 eggs. Divide stew into bowls and top with an egg.
    Alternatively serve with plain old crusty bread

Haven't tried this yet, but I'm sure it'll be lovely.

Enjoy

CherryPie x

Grocery Challenge

• she who can not cook
    all the best you guys hope you meet the targets set
  • wssla00
    A NSD for me today! Hopefully an NSD for me tomorrow too! I really don't need anything but do need to clear out the freezer ready for the new one that doesn't make a horrible groaning sound arriving on Thursday.

I do have a problem though- does anyone know the best way to defrost a freezer and how to keep the food frozen until my new one comes on Thursday?

Any help would be appreciated!
    Feb GC: 200 Spent: 190.79
  • katenut
    CherryPie that sounds lovely thanks!! We've got nearly all the ingredients so that will be a lovely cheap warming winter meal, can't wait xx
    Trying to jump back onto the moneysaving wagon ....
  • ~moneysavingnovice~
    Starting as I mean to go on, have made my lunch for the first day back to work 2m so I don't go and spend the usual in central-London-ridiculously-overpriced Mr S.

Still at 0 for Jan here! Though it is mine and OH's anniversary this month which I hadn't factored into the GC so I might up the budget later but will see how it goes for now.
    Mortgage148,725 Student loan13,050 HSBC loan12,221
    AprGC:/320
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 3rd Jan 11, 9:12 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    I stayed in today but we ran very short on bread and milk so as dd was shopping for herself I asked her to get 16 pints of milk and 4 loaves of kingsmill plus a bag of onions and a jar of marmite in Iceland. Thats is exactly what she got! I did want some willow too but she forgot and it wasnt really important. Had value pasta with asdas pesto and some grated cheese for tea. Just cooked the 2nd chicken I had on my Asda delivery. Luckily I have no need to buy toiletries as I "earn" them on Avon. My lot seem to eat loo rolls tho-they disapppear in the night! I do have a little trick to reduce costs on these-I tend to keep Andrex etc for the downstairs loo and use cheaper Lidl cheapest for upstairs as this is where it gets wasted! Ive run out of cheap ones at the mo so can't do that now. Thinking of booking a slot for Asda delivery for 2 weeks time and adding to the list as I run low on things-that way I won't forget anything and the list won't be a chore. Just got to make dd sarnies for college tomorrow-she love to nip into Greggs and I don't mind once a week but not 3 times a week.
    Starting as I mean to go on, have made my lunch for the first day back to work 2m so u don't go and spend the usual in central-London-ridiculously-overpriced Mr S.

Still at 0 for Jan here! Though it is mine and OH's anniversary this month which I hadn't factored into the GC so I might up the budget later but will see how it goes for now.
    Originally posted by ~moneysavingnovice~
    How about a separate entertainment/special occasion budget for this?
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
    • CherryPie
    • By CherryPie 3rd Jan 11, 9:14 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 5,349 Thanks
    CherryPie
    Cherry Pie - is it just a case of bunging the saus, black pud and other stuff into a dish and perhaps a sprinkling of cheese? If so, you could do it as a one pot complete meal by pouring it over cooked potato wedges and cook through and brown the cheese. I used to do something similar without the black pud, but it would be an improvement to add it I think.
    Originally posted by JayJay14
    One of the many things I love about this forum and the people on it, the recipe has already evolved!! Never thought about doing it like this.

Grocery Challenge

• Keybilly
    • By Keybilly 3rd Jan 11, 9:26 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 249 Thanks
    Keybilly
    Disappointed that I still haven't had a NSD this year. Been cooking batches so I'm set up for the week and will enjoy veggie lasagne tomorrow lunch time.
    Got a bit flustered in Mr T's today with the c-card vouchers. The queues were crazy and I added to the angst by not adding my groceries up, also had to ask the cashier to put some stuff back. Due to the no change on vouchers policy, I had to pay 1.06 extra, please to say that I had enough change in my purse. Emptied my purse of all cards last night so I do not pay on them.

Just to recommend to veggies and lentil lovers out there, I made a really flavoursome dahl yesterday.
    I soak yellow split peas overnight. Chopped onions and garlic in to very small pieces, fried these off. I crushed some cumin, caraway, coriander seeds and black onion seed with a pestle and mortar, fried these too with some paprika. Then added a couple of cardamom pods, a dried chilli (to add some kick) and the split peas then water. The peas do drink up quite a lot of water so for 2 hours (or maybe more) you need to make sure the peas do not catch on the bottom of the pan by watering them little and often. Cook until the peas go mushy then add salt to taste.
    Tip: if you add salt to beans, lentils and split peas at the start of the cooking process they tend not to cook properly.
    As an alternative to the seeds, you could try Cajun spices - this is what the split pea bag advised.
    Or for meat eaters - add fried bacon bits and garlic at the end.

Happy cooking and saving money.
    Kx
    Keybilly
    Mortgage 111,000 107,000- under 100,000 by December 2011
    Grocery challenge January 2011 - 50.91 / 50(+5%)
    NSD - 5
    Weight loss challenge - January 2011 - 3 / 4lbs Total to loose - 10lbs Gym - 6/Jan11
  • ~moneysavingnovice~

How about a separate entertainment/special occasion budget for this?
    Originally posted by angelatgraceland
    Thanks angel. I include my 'entertainment' spends in my GC- in my personal spreadsheet on the computer I break the GC down into food, pet stuff, toiletries and entertainment, but lump it together when I post on here. You've made me think about whether to have a special occasion line somewhere in the spreadsheet tho! I'll find the best method one day, lol...
    Mortgage148,725 Student loan13,050 HSBC loan12,221
    AprGC:/320
  • Equilibrium
    Cherrypie that sounds lovely and one im sure my DH will enjoy, thankyou for sharing it

Mothership im a newbie on MSE and this thread but love it already for the very reasons you said, Everyone is so helpful to each other and supportive too

A NSD for today and feels good
    GC spend Jan so far 165.68/ 160 FEB 189 /170
    MARCH 0/170
    Beautiful pictures are formed from dark negatives , so when your having a dark day feel rest assured that a beautiful picture is being prepared for you
    • Caltha
    • By Caltha 3rd Jan 11, 9:54 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    Caltha
    ... Due to the no change on vouchers policy, I had to pay 1.06 extra, please to say that I had enough change in my purse. Emptied my purse of all cards last night so I do not pay on them.

Kx
    Originally posted by Keybilly
    Good luck.
    I've also taken all my cards out of my purse (about a month ago), and its certainly made me think twice about putting stuff in the basket.
    To reduce the tempatation and chaos in Mr T's, shopped at the local and bought yogurt and milk - 5.38
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

326Posts Today

4,451Users online

Martin's Twitter