Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Dec 10, 1:15 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    • 25th Dec 10, 1:15 AM
    25th Dec 10 at 1:15 AM
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2011, a new decade and a new beginning!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month and may I take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy New Year! Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-12-2010 at 9:09 AM.
Page 16
  • Long tall sally
    NSD here today & I have done an inventory of my freezer and found quite a bit in there. I also have lots of pasta, potatoes & rice so should "in theory" be ok for a while!

By the way, happy new year everyone!
    Grocery aim 450pm.Spent 519 August, 584 July, 544 June, 541 May, 549 April, 517 March, 517 Feb,555 Jan, 573 Dec, 465Nov, 561Oct, 493Sept, 426Aug,496 Jul, 528Jun, 506May,498April, 558 March, 500Feb, 500 Jan, 490 Dec, 555 Nov,566 Oct, 505Sept, 450Aug, 410 July, 437 June, 491 May, 471 April, 440 March, 552Feb, 462Jan
    • freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 1st Jan 11, 6:26 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre
    Cheating slightly as I did some shopping yesterday, but am including it in January as none of it has been used (ok, some chocolate may have fallen out of the selection box...)

So, 3.80 spent in Asda on bleach, sweets, some reduced party food and also 2 x tubs of houmous which were reduced to 40p. I'll split these into smaller pots later and freeze them to take for lunches.
    11.15 in Morrisons. Stocked up on my deodorant (6 x...I don't smell!) as it was half price. Also got 2 bottles each of shampoo and conditioner, a selection box, cranberry juice and some edam cheese which I really fancied as haven't had for ages.

Not very good for the first day, but I don't think I need a great deal in the next few weeks as i'm stocked up well. Will need to get some milk at some point and some frozen veg if I can ever make space in the freezer
    Grocery challenge - Nov: 52/100
  • supersally01
    Made my own ice cream from some short dated eggs and cream that was OOD today, also used some left over caramel that I made for pavlova last night, turned out well - kids ate it!
    Used my left over Christmas ham to make carbonara, and did not go to mr t's to get garlic bread, did not fancy making my own today.
    Tomorrow I will use up all my old veg to make a stew with some 1/2 price beef that i got reduced!
    Here is hoping that my good intentions last!!!!
    • Lindy - Loo
    • By Lindy - Loo 1st Jan 11, 7:04 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 8,403 Thanks
    Lindy - Loo
    Hello could I be put down for 275 in january please
    thanks x
    Mum, wife and dinnerlady!
    • thepennyfarthings
    • By thepennyfarthings 1st Jan 11, 7:06 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 452 Thanks
    thepennyfarthings
    Hi, please count me in! There are two adults, one 5yr old, one 3yr old, a cat & a border collie in our household. I would like to keep to 200 per month. This is to include all food, pet food & cleaning products. No spend day today, so off to a good start. Not sure how long I'm going to last though
  • lolly101
    Grocery Challenge
    Hi Everyone!

I think it's about time I joined this challenge! I used to think I did a modest grocery shop, but after reading previous challenges I've realised that I still spend far more than I need to - 45-50 a week for me and my son, 6. I also have an unhealthy obsession with Tesco and tend to go there at least three times a week (which means that I end up buying extra things that I don't need three times a week!), this is something I really need to cut down on.
    Can you please put me down for 125 for the month. I think this should be do-able as my cupboards and freezers are quite full so I'm going to try and concentrate on using up food before buying more this month.
    • lotti379
    • By lotti379 1st Jan 11, 7:13 PM
    • 787 Posts
    • 6,181 Thanks
    lotti379
    Please can I be put back in for January?200 for the two of us

I'm not drinking alcohol for the month at least so it should be easily doable!

Also, lost track of december a bit, will sort it out eventually..!
    • pixiedust09
    • By pixiedust09 1st Jan 11, 7:13 PM
    • 259 Posts
    • 3,126 Thanks
    pixiedust09
    Hi Pixie

I too have a pooch with a delicate tum, used to feed him on Bakers (he has a tin a day too) but then switched to Harringtons, seems like good stuff - no colours or additives and not bulked out with nasties, but still quite a good price - I get it at Asda and it's frequently on offer, currently still on a 12kilo sack bought in Oct! Dog seems calmer too since he's been on it, have since read an article about how the colours in Bakers can make some dogs hyper - so if your Springers have been even more bouncy recently, you'll know why!

If you fancy giving it a try, can get a small bag (2-3kg I think?) for about 3ish - it's supposed to be good for digestion too and have definitely noticed our boy is not causing a stink as often now, iykwim!
    Originally posted by Rebelle
    Thanks will give that a try, my boys are particularly stinky, so anything that helps with that has got to be good.
    MFW 142- Oct 1999 55,0000, Jul 2013 27,593.17 Oct 2013 26,531, Dec 2014 22,600, Dec 2015 20,190, Jan 2016 19,944.19 Mar 2017 16,944.76 Decluttered 207/2018
    Smile it confuses people
  • IWannabedebtfree
    200 for me please, -I'll find it tricky, after massively overspending-have been spending as much as 600 pm, but must cut back hugely now. Have meat in the freezer and lots of tins in already, so hoping to stick to budget.Thanks for all your posts, which help my motivation so much!
  • helen jelly
    helen jelly - nice of you to use my photo as your avatar
    Originally posted by rosieben

Its a self portrait
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
    • Doom_and_Gloom
    • By Doom_and_Gloom 1st Jan 11, 8:22 PM
    • 3,784 Posts
    • 12,947 Thanks
    Doom_and_Gloom
    Can you put us down for 80 this month please. That is for 2 adults (my partner and me) and 2 chinchillas. Our month will go from the 1st of January until the 31st of January.

Spent so far 4.12 and with that we got:
    • 1.1kg red organic potatoes
    • 650g organic baby potatoes
    • 1.5kg organic carrots
    • 750g parsnips
    • 2kg onions
    • 444g celeriac
    • 5 fairtraide oranges
    • 2 packs of spring onions
    • pack of salad tomatoes
    • sprout tree
    The above should have cost 11.76 so a saving of 7.64 - me very pleased .

Budget = 80
    Spent = 4.12
    Left = 75.88
    Last edited by Doom_and_Gloom; 01-01-2011 at 9:08 PM.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy
  • rachelww1
    Thought I was being really clever going to MrT's just before it shut last night, thinking that there would be bargains to be had as it was shut today. But no, all the reduced items shelves had been cleared and wiped down, and they were busy chucking all the bread into a huge bin .

On a better note, I did manage to get most of the items on my list (I made a list ) including a 2.6kg smoked gammon that was on special offer for 6. Going to cook that tomorrow in my SC in apple juice and have it as our roast. Did one that way on Christmas Eve and it was the best gammon I'd ever tasted. Leftovers will be used in a pie and for sarnies in the week. Spent 60 and another 3.99 in c*-*p on thurs. Both shops I'm including as it was out of january's budget. My budget will go up to 27th this month, as pay day is on the 28th.

Hope everyone had a lovely new year and aren't suffering. I am as I over endulged on the alcohol last night
    LBM Dec 10. Total unsecured debt 41176 Nov 12 Debt Free Thanks Mum x RIP x

2013 Savings 250
    2013 OP 3500
    • larmy16
    • By larmy16 1st Jan 11, 10:05 PM
    • 4,218 Posts
    • 8,039 Thanks
    larmy16
    Wow this thread moves so fast, it is hard to keep up and I would dearly love to read every post as I find it all so interesting!

Well I spent 1.00 today on a bag of mixed salad leaves, so I can use up some of the other salady bits in the fridge tomorrow.

I spent 7.20 yesterday, but that was on my prescription and I'm not sure whether you would put that in a grocery budget. What do you think?
    Grocery Challenge 139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• ~moneysavingnovice~

On a better note, I did manage to get most of the items on my list (I made a list ) including a 2.6kg smoked gammon that was on special offer for 6. Going to cook that tomorrow in my SC in apple juice and have it as our roast. Did one that way on Christmas Eve and it was the best gammon I'd ever tasted. Leftovers will be used in a pie and for sarnies in the week. Spent 60 and another 3.99 in c*-*p on thurs. Both shops I'm including as it was out of january's budget. My budget will go up to 27th this month, as pay day is on the 28th.

Hope everyone had a lovely new year and aren't suffering. I am as I over endulged on the alcohol last night
    Originally posted by rachelww1
    The gammon and apple juice sounds lovely! Is there anything else you put on the slow cooker with it?
    Mortgage148,725 Student loan13,050 HSBC loan12,221
    AprGC:/320
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 1st Jan 11, 10:22 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    Oooh they sound lovely...how do you make them?

Anyway Happy New Year and good luck with the grocery challenge this year
    Originally posted by kippers
    Well I made some shortcrust pastry with 8 oz plain flour and 4 oz trex(or stork or whatever)
    I cut out circles-a teaplate is about right-or a saucer-about 6" accross.
    I put dollops of mashed potato(I had leftover mash)onion,chees and some mixed herbs onto each one, folded over in pasty shapes and brushed with beaten egg. Could have used dices pots but wanted to use up the mash! Baked at gas 5 until nice and golden.
    Didnt get around to making quiche today so had some of the above mixture fried in a pan like bubble and squeak with an egg mixed in. Still got to do the chicken curry! Now awake as I slept the afternoon(as I didnt sleep last night)so may well do that any moment. That will then be ready for tomorrow. Chicken soup and pastys now all eaten!
    Now I need to go back and real all the posts on the last 4 pages!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • janie-h
    Hi all

Happy New Year everybody!

Please could I be in for 250 for January
    Thanks x

Must, must, must be more organised and meal plan, shop with list, post more often, etc...
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 1st Jan 11, 10:33 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    How do you make your rice pudding, angelatgraceland?

I use the pudding rice, which costs more than shortgrain, so will be interested to hear how it turns out.
    Originally posted by pipkin71
    I normally use pudding rice too. I had 4 oz left and I use 2 oz to a pint of milk and an oz of sugar. I wanted to make a 4 pint pudd(for 4/5 of us)so needed more rice. I used 4 oz brown shortgrain, 4 oz brown longrain, 4 oz sugar,4 pts milk. Greased big dish, chucked it all in and grated some nutmet on top. Left in oven on gas 3 for a couple of hours then gas 2 until I could see the rice grains had risen up the side of the dish(I always use a clear pyrex one). I dont like it stodgy or runny! Not sure how long it took-guessg at 3.5 hours. I take it out when it looks right!
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 1st Jan 11, 10:35 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    Morning all just updating spends. I have done a monthly shop for all the random dry stuff needed and my meat order which is quietly sitting in the freezer.

Am I right in thinking that it needs to be totally full to work efficiently? Should i just put bottles of water in it to freeze and keep up the efficiency? Just until it gets totally full LOL!

Have a good new years day everyone!
    Originally posted by wssla00
    Well you can also fill it up with black sacks of newspapers. You are quite right in your thinking! Personally I fill any space with reduced bread!

How do you make your rice pudding, angelatgraceland?

I use the pudding rice, which costs more than shortgrain, so will be interested to hear how it turns out.
    Originally posted by pipkin71
    Well pudding rice IS shortgrain-it is the longrain rice which is a lot cheaper. If you compare the grains side by side you will see that the pudding rice is short.
    I normally use pudding rice too. I had 4 oz left and I use 2 oz to a pint of milk and an oz of sugar. I wanted to make a 4 pint pudd(for 4/5 of us)so needed more rice. I used 4 oz brown shortgrain, 4 oz brown longrain, 4 oz sugar,4 pts milk. Greased big dish, chucked it all in and grated some nutmet on top. Left in oven on gas 3 for a couple of hours then gas 2 until I could see the rice grains had risen up the side of the dish(I always use a clear pyrex one). I dont like it stodgy or runny! Not sure how long it took-guessg at 3.5 hours. I take it out when it looks right!
    Last edited by angelatgraceland; 01-01-2011 at 10:38 PM.
  • rachelww1
    The gammon and apple juice sounds lovely! Is there anything else you put on the slow cooker with it?
    Originally posted by ~moneysavingnovice~
    No, just an inch or so of apple juice and a bit of seasoning. I cooked it on high for about 5 hours then put it in the oven for about 20 mins with some honey and dijon mustard smeared over it. That was a smaller joint though, so I may cut this one in half and freeze before I cook it.
    LBM Dec 10. Total unsecured debt 41176 Nov 12 Debt Free Thanks Mum x RIP x

2013 Savings 250
    2013 OP 3500
  • janie-h
    No, just an inch or so of apple juice and a bit of seasoning. I cooked it on high for about 5 hours then put it in the oven for about 20 mins with some honey and dijon mustard smeared over it. That was a smaller joint though, so I may cut this one in half and freeze before I cook it.
    Originally posted by rachelww1
    Sounds delicious! Will try this as I have a gammon joint in the fridge which my sister bought for us
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,322Posts Today

8,668Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin