Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 9th Jul 10, 12:27 PM
    • 15,457Posts
    • 150,796Thanks
    mardatha
    REALLY old style living?
    • 9th Jul 10, 12:27 PM
    REALLY old style living? 9th Jul 10 at 12:27 PM
    Is anybody in here so OS that they can cook, eat and live without shopping for months on end ? Like past generations who maybe lived on a remote farm & only went to the town a few times a year ..? I would like to really try for this next year, and would welcome your ideas and tips on how to do it.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by mardatha; 16-02-2011 at 8:44 AM.
Page 111
  • parsonswife8
    There's something to be said for being alone ...you can do what you like and don't have to do things just to please other people ! I think solitude is becoming a rare commodity in this day & age. have a cool xmas day pet!
    Originally posted by mardatha

I quite like solitude. I was an only child and although I had lots of friends, I would often play with my dolls, games etc, quite happily on my own.

There's only DH and I at home now and we each do our own thing and just enjoy the quiet company, interspersed with a few mutual comments now and then.

DH goes out alone, to do volunatary work, one day a week and I am quite happy at home on my own. I usually cook meals ahead, for the next few days.

I much prefer it to be like this, as I don't like crowds or loud noise.

I see my grand children, son and DIL when I feel the need for a bit of company. DH and I are going to see his mum this afternoon, bearing sandwiches and sausage rolls and a bottle of sparkling perry.

Have a Happy New Year everyone, I am kicking off 2011, with the "No visits to the supermarket" challenge. We will live off what we have.
    Last edited by parsonswife8; 01-01-2011 at 10:56 AM.

Felines are my favourite
    • NualaBuala
    • By NualaBuala 1st Jan 11, 10:38 AM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 24,217 Thanks
    NualaBuala
    Ok, tin of Roses aside ... I have millions! I love plotting and planning and these are some of the things I want to do.

• Minimise waste - try harder to use meal plans and shopping lists
    • Only use my fair share of resources - if I need something try to get it from freecycle or secondhand. Minimise landfill! Buy ethically and keep it to needs, not wants.
    • Maximise my health without fretting or being obsessed
    • Be kind to everyone
    • Share whatever I've got
    • Don't be attached to my possessions
    • Spend time in nature/outdoors
    • Eat well and ethically and lose weight healthily
    • Cultivate friendships
    • Grow stuff ... whether it be sprouting seeds or growing in the garden, will depend on where I end up living
    Trying to spend less time on MSE so I can get more done ... it's not going great so far!
    Sorry if I don't reply to posts - I'm having MAJOR trouble keeping up these days!

Frugal Living Challenge 2011

Sealed Pot #671 DFW Nerd #1185
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 1st Jan 11, 1:01 PM
    • 15,457 Posts
    • 150,796 Thanks
    mardatha
    I melt down the choccies I dont like and roll them into balls, then roll in dessicated coconut or icing sugar, then put in petit fours cases and give them to family. Hoping that they'll think they are expensive handmade chocs.
    • NualaBuala
    • By NualaBuala 1st Jan 11, 1:09 PM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 24,217 Thanks
    NualaBuala
    There are choccies you don't like????
    That came as a bit of shock Mar!
    Trying to spend less time on MSE so I can get more done ... it's not going great so far!
    Sorry if I don't reply to posts - I'm having MAJOR trouble keeping up these days!

• stitching witch
    • By stitching witch 1st Jan 11, 6:04 PM
    • 1,236 Posts
    • 8,253 Thanks
    stitching witch
    My OS plans this year include:
    - meal plans for every week, not just when I remember
    - waste absolutely nothing
    - continue to stock the pantry when things are on offer
    - freeze left over bread until there's enough for breadcrumbs
    - freeze apple/orange/lemon peel to make "compost heap jelly" as per Pam Corbin from River Cottage
    - make full use of the allotment instead of "playing" at it
    - join WI market to sell some of my produce
    - learn how to make soap properly as it's on my '101 things to do in 1001 days' list (first two batches were a disaster!)

I'm sure there's loads more to add, but that's all I can think of at the moment
    Making magic with fabric

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    • NualaBuala
    • By NualaBuala 1st Jan 11, 6:17 PM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 24,217 Thanks
    NualaBuala
    Stitching Witch, I'm interested in the compost heap jelly - do you have a recipe or a link please?

Am also planning to try soap so if you have any tips, send 'em this way!

• stitching witch
    • By stitching witch 1st Jan 11, 6:27 PM
    • 1,236 Posts
    • 8,253 Thanks
    stitching witch
    Compost Heap Jelly

makes 3 x 225gr jars

500g apple cores and peel
    500g citrus fruit peel cut into 1cm shreds
    granulated sugar (see below)
    1.5 litre water
    Juice of 1 citrus fruit (optional)

Put apple cores, peel and citrus peel in saucepan with water. Bring to simmer and cook slowly for 45-60mins. Turn into jelly bag and leave overnight to drip.

Measure strained liquid and weigh out 450g of sugar for every 600ml of juice. add fruit juice if using. Bring liquid to boil, add sugar, stir until dissolved, then boil rapidly without stirring until setting point is reached - approx 10 mins

Remove from heat and stir until all surface bubbles have disappeared. Pour into jars and tap to remove any remaining bubbles. Seal and use within a year.

Sorry, I have no hints on soapmaking, mine was awful. I just need to practice a bit more.
    Last edited by stitching witch; 02-01-2011 at 7:53 PM.
    Making magic with fabric

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 1st Jan 11, 6:28 PM
    • 15,457 Posts
    • 150,796 Thanks
    mardatha
    Some good interesting stuff on there Witch ! I wish I could stop wasting food. I wish I could meal plan. I wish I could stop wishing and get DOING !
    • NualaBuala
    • By NualaBuala 1st Jan 11, 6:38 PM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 24,217 Thanks
    NualaBuala
    Thanks a mill Stitching Witch, that's fab! I love the idea of using up stuff that would be thrown on the compost heap!

Go easy on yourself Mar - aren't you meant to be resting and letting the RV take care of you?! I wish I did all those things too

• mardatha
    • By mardatha 1st Jan 11, 6:43 PM
    • 15,457 Posts
    • 150,796 Thanks
    mardatha
    I'm on the couch resting mother. But my mind never rests !! it carries on plotting away ... was thinking I started this thread yonks ago to enable me to cut down supermarket trips and I havent done it yet !
    • sandraroffey
    • By sandraroffey 1st Jan 11, 6:48 PM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 1,518 Thanks
    sandraroffey
    i have kept and frozen apple cores and peels for years, and when there is lots I make apple and ginger jelly, or apple and rosehip. then i read about the compost heap jelly in the river cottage preserves book a few months ago. my freezer now has bags of orange and lemon peel in there, sitting and waiting for me to get a free day to use them all up.

jam cupboard is getting a bit low so that day has to be soon.
    • NualaBuala
    • By NualaBuala 1st Jan 11, 6:49 PM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 24,217 Thanks
    NualaBuala
    Glad to hear it!
    Have a vision of you resting wearing a black leather dressing gown and stroking an albino cat like some kind of movie villain plotting world domination.

• NualaBuala
    • By NualaBuala 1st Jan 11, 6:52 PM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 24,217 Thanks
    NualaBuala
    Mmmm, they sound delicious Sandra.

I wonder am I mad to think about trying these - I am a really rubbish cook mainly cos I never seem to stick to recipes. I am eating a soup I made yesterday - except it turned out more like a stew cos I added waaaaay too much barley (is still perfectly edible though).

Another resolution - must follow the blimmin recipe!!!

• ginnyknit
    • By ginnyknit 1st Jan 11, 7:20 PM
    • 3,590 Posts
    • 42,402 Thanks
    ginnyknit
    I started saving peel etc for the compost heap jelly and Oh has orders to deposit the leftovers from his fruit addiction into a box in the freezer. I just love the idea of making stuff from what you would put on the heap - can't wait to send my Sister in law a pot, that will really freak her out sorry she has made my Mums xmas a misery.

Im very pleased with the stock cupboard so far and will continue with it this year. I just want to keep ahead of the game, so to speak. Dd has kept up with her forward planning too and for a new housewife Im very proud of her.

One problem I want to solve this year is my arthiritis, well obviously not solve it but try and find out what in particular triggers the attacks, Im sure theres something. I have been bad for a few days now after a break of a month ( just minor twinges) I try not to be too inactive as I am sure that doesnt help but somedays I just want to rest ??? Time for research me thinks.
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
    • flea72
    • By flea72 1st Jan 11, 7:50 PM
    • 5,282 Posts
    • 5,273 Thanks
    flea72
    One problem I want to solve this year is my arthiritis, well obviously not solve it but try and find out what in particular triggers the attacks, Im sure theres something
    Originally posted by ginnyknit
    avoiding red or acidic foods can help arthritis. so tomatoes, capsicums, apples and citrus fruits, would be a good starting point for elimination

F
    • pagangirl
    • By pagangirl 1st Jan 11, 7:54 PM
    • 391 Posts
    • 3,749 Thanks
    pagangirl
    Thanks for the compost heap jelly recipe Stitching Witch - will give it a go (sounds lovely)

OS plans for this year include:

major sort out of cupboards/stock/freezer etc & use up whats in there before buying anything else

Declutter more

Start batch cooking instead of buying whoopsies and saving them (what am i saving them for????)

Use local shops instead of supermarket

Need to exersize more, not overweight just not as healthy as I used to be - need to do more walking.

Have already joined Frugal Living Challenge 2011.

Hugs to all feeling icky - be good to yourself

xx
    When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on

• ceridwen

One problem I want to solve this year is my arthiritis, well obviously not solve it but try and find out what in particular triggers the attacks, Im sure theres something. I have been bad for a few days now after a break of a month ( just minor twinges) I try not to be too inactive as I am sure that doesnt help but somedays I just want to rest ??? Time for research me thinks.
    Originally posted by ginnyknit
    In that case - try looking on Amazon for the mini-series of Arthritis books by Margaret Hills SRN.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 1st Jan 11, 8:50 PM
    • 15,457 Posts
    • 150,796 Thanks
    mardatha
    Ginny - I know arthritis and ME probably have nowt at all in common.... but what made me a lot better was really plain food. Porridge (water and salt+cream on) for breakfast; HM soups for dinner; butcher meat + veg for tea. Nothing fancy and not much fruit or sugar. I read once about a lady who was totally crippled by arthritis and who totally changed her diet and reversed the condition.
    • D&DD
    • By D&DD 1st Jan 11, 9:46 PM
    • 4,331 Posts
    • 29,867 Thanks
    D&DD
    My new years resolution is always the same,to be more organised and I have honestly given up hope of ever acheiving it lol..

There is so much I want to do/learn this year I'll have to make some lists.

First thing on the agenda is dogproofing the garden to stop missy getting everywhere

• apple_mint
    Awwww what a lovely photograph D&DD. We would love a dog but cannot have one at the present time. One day soon ...

DH and I have a joint New Year's resolution to really cut our spending to the bone. Our OS lifestyle will help with this but we need to cut out the bought little treats and focus on a greater use of the garden.

Thank you for the information on compost heap jelly Stitching Witch. We have an orange each everyday in our packed lunch and I was wondering if there was something more I could do with the peel. I've already been looking for a candied peel recipe.

Things we are planning to focus on this year:

• Not buying new clothes / footwear unless absolutely necessary and to look after what we already have (careful wash care, maintenance, making sure buttons are still sewn on properly) and repurposing of existing items (e.g. making into other items)
    • Learning new skills - I want to learn to crochet - I have a hook, some wool and have started to look at youtube tutorials. OH is going to make a darning mushroom - to help with repairing our woollen socks (lovingly and beautifully knit by DD but this week I put a hole in the toe of one pair.)
    • Three or more vegetarian main meals per week
      - which will help to cut the food bills.
    • Cutting the food bill by growing more of our own food. This includes growing and drying more herbs (parsley was very successful this year)
    • Making more use of what we already have e.g. entertainment (we've started going back through our DVD collection, plan to re-read our old books, I'm re-reading my cookery books for inspiration, and I know that somewhere in the loft we have a load of jigsaws we can re-do).
    • Think before we spend. We are reasonably good at this but there is always room for improvement I need to think like The Waltons (no money, depression era and relying on making things for themselves).
    Enjoying an MSE OS life
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

550Posts Today

5,718Users online

Martin's Twitter