Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 22nd Dec 10, 8:10 PM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    MSE News: Santander sends thousands of statements to wrong addresses
    • 22nd Dec 10, 8:10 PM
    MSE News: Santander sends thousands of statements to wrong addresses 22nd Dec 10 at 8:10 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The bank has admitted sending up to 35,000 bank statements to the wrong addresses. ..."

Last edited by MSE Guy; 23-12-2010 at 4:37 PM.
Page 1
    • Mikeyorks
    • By Mikeyorks 22nd Dec 10, 9:40 PM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,696 Thanks
    Mikeyorks
    • 22nd Dec 10, 9:40 PM
    • 22nd Dec 10, 9:40 PM
    So they either ran a full reel through again and printed on the reverse? Unlikely.

Or managed to print single tier in duplex mode?

Makes you wonder what the staff - whose job it is to not only feed the machines - but sample check the output regularly were doing at the time?

Still - they won't be much used to looking at the other side on allegedly single side stationery!
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • ethanroger22
    • 22nd Dec 10, 11:12 PM
    Compensation for Santander Statement Error
    • 22nd Dec 10, 11:12 PM
    Under Santander's complaints policy any breach of data protection automatically entitles you, as the customer to a compensation payment of 100. Customer's are not made aware of it and you will not be offered it unless you ask. If this has happened to you call in and discuss this payment quoting your distress and inconvenience.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 22nd Dec 10, 11:17 PM
    • 98,317 Posts
    • 66,571 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 22nd Dec 10, 11:17 PM
    • 22nd Dec 10, 11:17 PM
    Makes you wonder what the staff - whose job it is to not only feed the machines - but sample check the output regularly were doing at the time?
    Probably stuck in a sales appointment being flogged some dire Super ISA account.

Santander just love finding new ways to make mistakes.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Inactive
    • 23rd Dec 10, 12:18 AM
    • 23rd Dec 10, 12:18 AM
    Yet more incompetence from this outfit.
    • Paulgonnabedebtfree
    • By Paulgonnabedebtfree 23rd Dec 10, 4:17 AM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 28,940 Thanks
    Paulgonnabedebtfree
    • 23rd Dec 10, 4:17 AM
    • 23rd Dec 10, 4:17 AM
    The only reason I still do any business with this bunch of tossers is because I live near a branch ATM and can deposit my business cash and cheques 24/7. I am beginning to wonder if even this great facility is enough to keep me. The incompetence I have experienced with this bank has been less severe than many people have been though but I'm close to having had enough.
    • charlieboycat
    • By charlieboycat 23rd Dec 10, 7:14 AM
    • 368 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    charlieboycat
    • 23rd Dec 10, 7:14 AM
    • 23rd Dec 10, 7:14 AM
    Still - they won't be much used to looking at the other side on allegedly single side stationery!
    Originally posted by Mikeyorks
    Does this comment refer to ex-A&L account statements? All my ex-Abbey account statements are double-sided - name, address and account summary on the front, list of transactions on the back.
  • pawnbroker
    • 23rd Dec 10, 7:40 AM
    • 23rd Dec 10, 7:40 AM
    To readers of this site the announcement will come as no surprise.

However I think there are major issues here.

The incompetence of Santander is widely accepted and people like myself have relocated our accounts to RBS Scotland or elsewhere.

I believe that to rescue it's own credibility the FSA now has step in and take control of the Santander fiasco .

Firstly it must set up it's own help line where those Santander customers who have not got access to their accounts can register their complaint.

Secondly Santander must give the FSA the details of all those involved in the statement problem so they can be warned(at Santander's expense) by the FSA of the error. Santander cannot obviously be relied on to do this.Whether all those who have got someone else's statement will report it is a matter of conjecture.

Thirdly the transfer of those English RBS accounts to Santander must be stopped indefinitely until the issues in points one & two are fully resolved.

Fourthly it is time the FSA slapped an almighty fine on Santander for maladministration. It fines the Likes RBS and Lloyds for trivial issues but has done nothing about Santander where the opportunities for internal fraud escalate daily.

How anyone who has not had access to their accounts can go about proving fraud is beyond me especially if their statements have now been sent to someone else.

It really is time the so called regulators in the FSA and FOS stopped sipping champagne and taking bonuses and really got a grip on Santander.
    Last edited by pawnbroker; 23-12-2010 at 7:42 AM. Reason: Spelling
  • ethanroger22
    • 23rd Dec 10, 7:57 AM
    Compensation for Santander Statement Error
    • 23rd Dec 10, 7:57 AM
    The fine is likely to be in the region of 3 to 4 million pounds.
    • mattytun
    • By mattytun 23rd Dec 10, 10:13 AM
    • 13,627 Posts
    • 238,151 Thanks
    mattytun
    Santander are a JOKE & thats why i will have nothing to do with them...
    • The Pixi
    • By The Pixi 23rd Dec 10, 10:19 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 234 Thanks
    The Pixi
    I find them ok
    Mortgage Balance 182,789.00 of 259,250.00 Overpayment Total 48,847.13
    Monthly payment down 258.82 Overpaid last month 1096.38
    End of month 11/2017
    • nzseries1
    • By nzseries1 23rd Dec 10, 10:28 AM
    • 2,144 Posts
    • 1,851 Thanks
    nzseries1
    Originally posted by ethanroger22
    For data protection breaches, in my opinion that's not even close to being enough.
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
  • gerrymclean1
    Santander : Bunch of amateurs!
    Spoke to someone in the print industry & he said Santander used a reputable british owned mailing house in Milton Keynes for about 20 years - very close to their head office. They moved the statement printing in December to a large American owned outfit in London (probably to save money) and put the other company out of business and cost 100 people lost their jobs! Merry Christmas!!

So, looks like the new lot have screwed up & Santander demonstrate once again that loyalty & service count for nothing!! I hope the fine is much larger than whatever amount they thought they were saving. Bunch of amateurs...
    • cing0
    • By cing0 23rd Dec 10, 11:43 AM
    • 416 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    cing0
    I think Santander deserve this for refusing to offer a paper-free statement service (don't know about A&L or B&B).
  • choc_mouse
    Originally posted by ethanroger22
    According to one of the posts above, Santander should be giving 100 x 35,000 to the customers = 3,500,000!

If only Santander gave out 100 every time they'd made a mistake. I could quit my job !
  • charles_b
    This is not the first time Santander have screwed up paper statements.
    about 2/3 years ago, they changed computer systems for then Abbey customers. In order to do this, they had to migrate every account from the old system to the new one and they didn't tell anyone, they just went ahead and did it.

My Wife's account had it's address migrated incorrectly to a completely different address. I can't even remember how we picked up on it, but in the end a formal complaint returned some compensation, but I can't remember how much, around 90? I think.

In my line of work a screw-up like that in a major data migration would have resulted in a huge catastrophe, and would have been tested and tested and checked before going live. Not so Abbey
    Seems, they haven't learnt their lesson then...
    • barak
    • By barak 23rd Dec 10, 1:11 PM
    • 1,240 Posts
    • 453 Thanks
    barak
    gerrymclean1's story sounds credible and, if true, Santander may well recover costs of this fiasco from the "large American owned outfit in London" who appear to have failed under their contract probably by incorrectly "stuffing" [technical term] more than one person's statement into the same envelope.

The "stuffing" is done automatically but machines have to be set up correctly - for example - to recognise multi-page statements and, as Mikeyorks has suggested and in my experience from times past, each printing/stuffing batch would be paused after starting to check that the process was working correctly before continuing.

All speculation, of course!
    ".....where it is corrupt, purge it....."
    • legalfreak22
    • By legalfreak22 23rd Dec 10, 4:09 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    legalfreak22
    Santander are an utter shower!

I needed my bank statements back in November for my mortgage application. Ordered them from the call centre only to be told later that no record of the call had been made! Had to rely on other means which were of course time consuming.
    Another time, I was persuaded to pay a cheque in the box in the branch. Then I get a call asking me to come into the branch because the sort code was unrecognisable! Bunch of idiots! Of course this was due to the merger. Did no one think of training the staff? Then there's my branch which is stuffed with people who mean well but are utterly incompetent and are in full 'it's not me 'guv' even before you have a chance to ask something!

Then recently I went in to withdraw money and the clerk couldn't locate me on the system! She also didn't understand the new sort code. But she was happy to chat away about a load of rubbish such as where she gets her telephone service from! I'm standing there being polite and she is wittering away.

I hate this bank and can't wait to move next year YIPPEEEE!
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 23rd Dec 10, 4:31 PM
    • 1,628 Posts
    • 1,255 Thanks
    MSE Guy
    Santander compensation update
    Hi folks,
    Here's the latest on the mess.

"Customers whose paperwork was sent to the wrong address will be entitled to up to 100 each ..."

Last edited by MSE Guy; 23-12-2010 at 4:36 PM.
    • magoogy
    • By magoogy 23rd Dec 10, 5:49 PM
    • 2,878 Posts
    • 1,625 Thanks
    magoogy
    is there anything i should do to ensure noone gets my money out of my account?????? my statement hasnt come yet and im worried sick its gone to someone else and they may try empty my account over christmas......
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

41Posts Today

2,406Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin