Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • By 16011996 26th Mar 05, 11:12 AM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    • 26th Mar 05, 11:12 AM
    • 26th Mar 05, 11:12 AM
    bleach in warm water, pour it on and brush with a stiff brush, is also great for getting rid of that slimy green stuff that appears on mine sometoimes,

hth

• chocomonsta
    • By chocomonsta 26th Mar 05, 12:33 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 884 Thanks
    chocomonsta
    • 26th Mar 05, 12:33 PM
    • 26th Mar 05, 12:33 PM
    i also use bleach to clean my patio which is all grey concrete.

Just mix a generous squeeze or two of bleach into a watering can, fill it up with cold water and water the patio. It doesnt need to be rinsed off. The rain seems to clear it and after a day or 2 the patio comes up really bright. I used to scrub with a yard brush, but this works just as well. Hope this helps
    • elona
    • By elona 26th Mar 05, 1:20 PM
    • 11,022 Posts
    • 62,225 Thanks
    elona
    • 26th Mar 05, 1:20 PM
    • 26th Mar 05, 1:20 PM
    We use neat bleach as we can get it at Netto for 1.49 for 5 litres.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • Magentasue
    • By Magentasue 26th Mar 05, 1:42 PM
    • 4,200 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    Magentasue
    • 26th Mar 05, 1:42 PM
    • 26th Mar 05, 1:42 PM
    Or borrow a pressure washer - notold fashioned but chemical free.
    • Prudent
    • By Prudent 26th Mar 05, 3:09 PM
    • 11,210 Posts
    • 48,844 Thanks
    Prudent
    • 26th Mar 05, 3:09 PM
    • 26th Mar 05, 3:09 PM
    I used bleach on mine last year and the result was very good.
    • student100
    • By student100 26th Mar 05, 3:27 PM
    • 1,054 Posts
    • 333 Thanks
    student100
    • 26th Mar 05, 3:27 PM
    • 26th Mar 05, 3:27 PM
    Pressure washer is the way to go...much less elbow grease and kinder to the garden than bleach. But not very "old style".

My grandma used to hire my services with dad's pressure washer once a year for a while to do her patio
    student100 hasn't been a student since 2007...
    • Poppy9
    • By Poppy9 26th Mar 05, 3:29 PM
    • 17,986 Posts
    • 22,277 Thanks
    Poppy9
    • 26th Mar 05, 3:29 PM
    • 26th Mar 05, 3:29 PM
    I use a pressure washer but beware it throws up muck on you if it doesn't have a shield thingy (yes that is a tech term ). I also find it quite a slow process. Pouring on bleach and leaving sounds good and less time consuming
    ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~
  • megasaver
    • 26th Mar 05, 4:22 PM
    Thank You
    • 26th Mar 05, 4:22 PM
    A big thank you to eveyone who replied. Although I don't like using bleach, you have all convinced me that is what I should use. I am going out very soon to buy loads of it to use it on my patio. I especially love the idea of not having to work very hard to clean it . Just one last question is it better to spray it with thin or thick bleach?
    • student100
    • By student100 26th Mar 05, 7:36 PM
    • 1,054 Posts
    • 333 Thanks
    student100
    Thin bleach I would have thought. Thick bleach has lots of stuff (detergent, thickner, scent etc) added to make it better for cleaning toilets but there's not much point using it for the garden. Also if you use thin bleach most of the bleach will eventually evaporate whereas thick bleach could leave chemicals left on your slabs.
    student100 hasn't been a student since 2007...
    • prophecy_grrl
    • By prophecy_grrl 1st Jan 07, 2:01 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 3,379 Thanks
    prophecy_grrl
    o/s method for cleaning patio/path
    Hi all

Can anybody recommend a good (but cheap) way to clean patio slabs and paths please? There is green algae type stuff growing on mine (plus puppy likes to do his business out there)

I have been using dettol mixed with water, and have also tried washing up liqiud but doesn't seem to do much good. I haven't got a tap out the garden so am relying on running back and fore with buckets

Any ideas gratefully received
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
  • Gingham Ribbon
    I had the same problem last spring. I don't know how large an area it is or what your health is like but the way I did it was to take a hard bristled broom and some hot water with a splash of washing up liquid and just scrub it. I did it a slab at a time and did it over a few days. They came up beautifully. They are desperate need of doing again but at 7 months pregnant I'm not in a hurry.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
    • Lizzieanne
    • By Lizzieanne 1st Jan 07, 2:29 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 1,097 Thanks
    Lizzieanne
    I had a similar problem with the decking in my garden - parts of it were covered with green moss and algae. The cleaners you can buy in the DIY stores were full of chemicals and instructed you to keep animals away whilst it was wet.
    In the end, I used a bucket of hot water with ordinary soap powder in it and a hard bristled broom. The deck came up spotlessly clean (smelt nce, too!)
    We now scrub it once a year in the spring.
    • gingin
    • By gingin 1st Jan 07, 2:42 PM
    • 2,887 Posts
    • 8,948 Thanks
    gingin
    I'm exactly the same as Gingham Ribbon and Lizzieanne and just use really hot buckets of water and scrub with a good bristled old fashioned broom. It takes a lot of elbow grease but is worth it in the end.
    • Tuttifruitty Theresa
    • By Tuttifruitty Theresa 1st Jan 07, 3:20 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 476 Thanks
    Tuttifruitty Theresa
    i always use washing powder and as the others say a good strong bristle broom.

xxx
    • hardpressed
    • By hardpressed 1st Jan 07, 10:16 PM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 1,514 Thanks
    hardpressed
    Has anybody used the stuff that you can buy by mail order that you just wipe on and it's supossed to clean itself? It about 11 a bottle, not money saving I know but it says you can clean tombstones as well, it would be much cheaper than getting a stone mason to do it.
    • prophecy_grrl
    • By prophecy_grrl 2nd Jan 07, 9:42 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 3,379 Thanks
    prophecy_grrl
    Hi everyone

Thanks for all your ideas for me to clean the patio - I had been using cold water so aim for this weekend is to get the hot water and washing up liquid on the go!

Thanks again
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 3rd Jan 07, 8:06 AM
    • 13,811 Posts
    • 15,845 Thanks
    squeaky
    Direct from the Cleaning section of the MEGA Index sticky we have:-

Driveways and Paths:
    - Drive - Cleaning car oil
    - Drive - Paint
    - Path - stone
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • freda
    • By freda 3rd Jan 07, 9:01 AM
    • 491 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    freda
    Jeyes fluid and a stiff broom works a treat. Follow the instructions on the packet, keep cats out of the garden till its dry. Looks miles better - not straight away, the next day I found.
    • Penny Watcher
    • By Penny Watcher 3rd Jan 07, 9:47 AM
    • 3,412 Posts
    • 5,824 Thanks
    Penny Watcher
    Can you beg/steal/borrow a pressure washer?

We have one and it's blimmin' fantastic and uses no chemicals, but blasts all the stuff off the paths and deck.

However don't ever let Mr prophecy_grrl play with it. See evidence below of "Man Cleaning".

Plus many more square metres of squiggles Grrrrr!

This is what happened when I asked Mr Watcher to clean the path. I now HAVE to clean it. If he'd just done nothing then I could have left it until the better weather. It's a bit like when you clean a stain off the carpet and then realise that you'll have to clean the rest.

But you can see that it cleans the muck off really easily.

Men - Pah!

You cannot live as I have lived an not end up like me.

Oi you lot - please GIVE BLOOD - you never know when you and yours might need it back! 52 pints so far.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,595Posts Today

5,215Users online

Martin's Twitter