Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 1st Sep 04, 12:39 AM
    • 5,809Posts
    • 40,355Thanks
    Caterina
    Oat groats
    • 1st Sep 04, 12:39 AM
    Oat groats 1st Sep 04 at 12:39 AM
    I know that Cathy will know more recipes than I do about this!

I am sooo happy - today I received my wholefoods delivery and at long last I got my 5kg bag of oat groats (sorted for breakfast for the winter now!) - can't wait for the cold weather now to have them cooked on the stove overnight hehehheheh!

But I would also like to use the groats for different grain recipes - and I would be grateful for ideas.

Thank you

Caterina
Page 1
  • cathy
    • 1st Sep 04, 1:09 AM
    Re: Oat groats
    • 1st Sep 04, 1:09 AM
    l've just made oat milk honest to god !!!!

I can give you the recipe its easy and delish, I bought some for 1.68 and thought it a bit steep, so looked up the recipe and its exactly the same, only this time I got about 3 litres for 50p (cost of oats) good healthy drink

;D ;D

• Caterina
    • By Caterina 1st Sep 04, 1:19 AM
    • 5,809 Posts
    • 40,355 Thanks
    Caterina
    • 1st Sep 04, 1:19 AM
    • 1st Sep 04, 1:19 AM
    Yes please Cathy! We use soya milk at home but sometimes make sunflower seed milk (soak seeds in water in fridge overnight, then whizz in blender, then filter and use milk - and use the pulp in cooking/breadmaking etc). Is oat milk done the same?

I have discovered a website that sells a soyamilk maker for just under 50 quid (and below if on low income or ill or a co-op etc) and makes soyamilk for 8 pence a litre (with us, we would very soon recover the initial cost!). They also give away free 2nd hand juicers for people on low income. Check it out: www.soyafresh.co.uk

Thanks, ciao

Caterina
  • Allexie
    • 1st Sep 04, 2:08 AM
    • 1st Sep 04, 2:08 AM

I have discovered a website that sells a soyamilk maker for just under 50 quid (and below if on low income or ill or a co-op etc) and makes soyamilk for 8 pence a litre (with us, we would very soon recover the initial cost!). They also give away free 2nd hand juicers for people on low income. Check it out: www.soyafresh.co.uk
    Shouldn't this go on the Freebies page :-/
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 1st Sep 04, 12:13 PM
    • 5,809 Posts
    • 40,355 Thanks
    Caterina
    • 1st Sep 04, 12:13 PM
    • 1st Sep 04, 12:13 PM
    I have been wondering whether it should - I am worried that it might be abused by some - as the juicers are there only for the people who CANNOT afford them otherwise.

Most of our members I am sure are perfectly honest and ethical people but not sure about odd guests/visitors etc...what do you all think?

Caterina
  • Allexie
    • 1st Sep 04, 12:28 PM
    • 1st Sep 04, 12:28 PM
    Yes, I did wonder if it might be abused. Have noticed how some people are really greedy with some offers. The people running this sound very nice and sincere and I would hate to think of their generosity being taken advantage of. I had a look myself as I'm unemployed at present and being vegetarian this would be a real blessing just now. Many thanks for putting me on to it. Praps best to leave it where it is (in hiding .
    • By 16011996 1st Sep 04, 12:49 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    • 1st Sep 04, 12:49 PM
    • 1st Sep 04, 12:49 PM
    yes i think so too, its in a good spot for people who would need it too find anyhow.
  • cathy
    • 1st Sep 04, 1:49 PM
    • 1st Sep 04, 1:49 PM
    Oat Milk

1 banana
    8 oz cooked oatmeal
    2 16oz water
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)

Puree all ingredients in blender or food processor until smooth. Keeps in the refrigerator for 4-6 days.

I dont use the banana but its really nice with it

I stick a tablespoon of honey in instead and then strain it through a seive. so its really smooth.

• cathy
    • 1st Sep 04, 1:57 PM
    • 1st Sep 04, 1:57 PM
    heres every kind of "milk" you could wish for.

http://vegweb.com/food/drink/index-drink-milk.shtml

I have sent my pensioner friend the link for the free juicer, thats very good of you to post it, thanks and I agree, thered be plenty whod abuse it and it wouldnt serve the people who needed them
    I have a juicer and never use it as I found it very expensive, you need about 30 oranges to get a carton of orange juice worth !!!!

I will send it to my friend, never thought of it till just now.. ;D

• Caterina
    • By Caterina 1st Sep 04, 5:05 PM
    • 5,809 Posts
    • 40,355 Thanks
    Caterina
    Cathy,

Thanks for the recipe and the link (I am a bit puzzled at the use of cooked oats rather than raw/soaked - gonna experiment there!).

I hope your friend will benefit from the juicer! I already have one that I do not use very much at all, but keep meaning to - maybe now that my beetroots are coming on well I might do myself some beet-celery-apple juice, very good detox and liver cleanser!

Still in theme of oats: I found two recipes in a frugal listing e-mag that I receive and am copying them here because they might be helpful to people whose kids are still taking school lunches.

I always used to do pack lunches for my twins, even in secondary school, but last year for 2 terms they had a very famous cook in their school canteen, who came to cook for them to do a programme (don't know when it is showing): Jamie Oliver! For real !

So they used to come back home and say something like: 'I had the best pizza/lasagne/pasta in the world today' and I'd say, what, better than mine? and they'd shift from foot to foot and eventually said 'well mummy yours is almost as nice'

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!! > > >

That's teenagers for you. Anyway, I digress. Here are the recipes for the lunchbox:

RECIPES FOR THE LUNCHBOX
    Granola Bars
    1 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
    2 Tbsp. honey
    1/2 tsp. vanilla
    1 egg
    1 cup flour
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1 1/2 cups rolled oats
    1 1/4 cups crispy rice cereal
    1/2 cup wheat germ (optional)
    1 cup chocolate chips*

In a large bowl, cream sugars and butter until fluffy. Add
    honey, vanilla and egg. Mix well. Blend in flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Stir in remaining ingredients. Press firmly into the bottom of a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

To microwave: Press ingredients into a microwave safe dish. Microwave on medium power for 7-9 minutes. Rotate dish every three minutes. Bars will firm as they stand. Cool and cut into bars. Save the crumbs for yogurt or ice cream topping. Makes 24 bars.

*The following may be used in addition to or as a
    replacement for chocolate chips:
    1 cup coconut
    1/2 cup creamy or chunky peanut butter
    1/2 cup nuts
    1/2-1 cup raisins, dried apples, apricots
    1/2 cup fruit preserves

Apple Oatmeal Bars
    1 cup oatmeal
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 cup butter
    1 cup flour
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    2 1/2 cups apples, chopped or 3/4 cup apple butter (omit cinnamon)
    1/2 cup sugar

Combine the first five ingredients, and pat half into an
    8x8 inch pan. Layer apples and sugar. Crumble remaining mixture on top. Bake 35 minutes at 350 degrees.

Hope some kids will love these, I am going to make them for me ol'man, he now works in Covent Garden (central London) and it's to expensive for him to buy stuff there every day, so here come pack lunches again for him.

Ciao

Caterina
  • cathy
    if you dont cook the oats Caterina they wont give out any milk
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 1st Sep 04, 9:14 PM
    • 5,809 Posts
    • 40,355 Thanks
    Caterina
    OK thanks, I shall cook them then! Cereal with oatmilk tomorrow for breakfast!

Caterina
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 2nd Sep 04, 10:08 AM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    Cathy, do you cook the oats with water?

I use the vanilla flavoured rice milk that you can buy in most supermarkets. Someone once gave me the recipe for making it but the texture was different. I suppose I could have played around with quantities but I'm lazy ;D
  • cathy
    just cook the porridge as per the instructions

never heard of porridge made with milk before only added to it once cooked

???
  • cathy
    what are oat groats???
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 2nd Sep 04, 2:14 PM
    • 5,809 Posts
    • 40,355 Thanks
    Caterina
    They are the whole grain of oat before it is cracked/milled/flaked.

Cathy, I was counting on you for all the oat groat risotto/pilaff etc recipes!

Caterina
  • cathy
    http://karenskitchen.com/a/recipe_oat_groat_pilaf.htm

;D
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 2nd Sep 04, 7:52 PM
    • 5,809 Posts
    • 40,355 Thanks
    Caterina
    Wow Cathy thank you! The tofu cutlets also sound gorgeous, especially since I am going to start making my own tofu again, with the help of the Soyafresh milk maker!

Caterina
  • cathy
    soup

http://foodandwine.netscape.com/invoke.cfm?objectID=3427C452-00BE-11D6-82A00002B3309983

pizza

http://search.yumyum.com/recipe.htm?ID=1545

and a subject dear to your heart but scroll down to the bottom for hundreds of recipes

http://www.usaemergencysupply.com/information/oats.php
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 3rd Sep 04, 1:03 AM
    • 5,809 Posts
    • 40,355 Thanks
    Caterina
    Thanks again! Lots of useful links - now all I have to do is to remember to soak the oats at night before going to bed....goodnight!

Caterina
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,183Posts Today

8,230Users online

Martin's Twitter