Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Nov 10, 11:16 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    • 25th Nov 10, 11:16 AM
    25th Nov 10 at 11:16 AM
    Hi everybody!

Welcome to the final Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your November budget, then keep on posting in the November 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month and can I take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy Christmas.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-11-2010 at 9:00 AM.
Page 8
    • NickJW
    • By NickJW 2nd Dec 10, 1:11 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    Nick - we can sympathise, my OH has had to bus it to North Greenwich and then Underground as there have been no Trains on Southeastern early in the morning, he leaves home at 6:15am on a normal day. He hasn't even bothered trying to get a Train at the end of the day either, he thinks it's just as quick getting the Underground and then Bus. Still snowing here now and he left at 6am this morning but not heard from him yet, think journey today will be more difficult.
    Originally posted by Ditz
    That sounds like my journey this morning...No SouthEastern trains from where I live, so went to another station with Southern - nothing there either. Got the bus to Lewisham to get the DLR to Canary Wharf, 3 trains passed but couldn't got on it. Finally did and my face was squashed against the door. Thing is, I work in north London and they have hardly ANY snow here

Delamo - I'm jealous of your sunshine!

Small spend of 1.20 again today. Having a bit of a using up odds and ends type of meal today - pasta with a few slices of bacon, some leftover chorizo, a few spring onions, frozen peas and creme fraiche, with grated cheese mixed in. Looking at this written down makes it look disgusting, but hopefully it will taste nice.
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 46.05/130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent 1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent 1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011
    • NickJW
    • By NickJW 2nd Dec 10, 2:08 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    I don't quite know what happened to my previous post...I'm showing as quoting Ditz, but I actually quoted Scotsaver...

Sorry about that....
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 46.05/130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent 1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent 1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011
    • mummyroysof3
    • By mummyroysof3 2nd Dec 10, 2:09 PM
    • 4,318 Posts
    • 25,275 Thanks
    mummyroysof3
    well our tesco shop turned up so im very impressed with them as asda had cancelled deliveries in our area im told. spent 105.13, had alot of christmas goodies on which i am including in my budget but am taking off 15 as they are gifts for people so ill be adding 92.13 to my total
    Have a Bsc Hons open degree from the Open University 2015
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 2nd Dec 10, 3:22 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    Menolly - thats my local MrT too!! *waves at nearby MSE'r*

Hubby decided he needed something for his sandwichs so off we trudged to town and got some ham & sossie rolls in MrS and then to Lidls for jam, coleslaw and cake for me!!

will update in a mo when i find my reciepts
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• Diflower
    Seductivesmile what a lovely family you have Hope you feel better soon.

Well, we finally have snow - rather a lot of snow! 8 or 9" out there now. OH couldn't get anywhere to work so decided to enjoy it. We and dog had a lovely time

Yesterday he got yoghurt and milk for us so just a tiny spend so far.
    Thank goodness for the breadmaker, flour & yeast supplies. We're ok for most things except potatoes and wine, I guess we can manage without.

Thanks to those who look after this thread and could I please be put down for 260 for December

• mongmoney
    • By mongmoney 2nd Dec 10, 3:33 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    mongmoney
    Slow cooker HELP
    I've just bought the big 6.2 L slow cooker from Argos, only 14-99, catalogue code 423-6045, found it on here somewhere. Now all I need is a few tried and tested recipes to get me started. I would be grateful of anything yummy.
    Mongy
    • mummygems
    • By mummygems 2nd Dec 10, 4:01 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 3,963 Thanks
    mummygems
    Well we have a fair bit of snow here in Essex (about 30cm) so the only place I have been is to the local co-op for some supplies BUT they had run out of pretty much everything I wanted. I did manage to get milk and bread so thats the main thing. No eggs, no carrots and no potatoes. I did manage to get canned carrots and potatoes (but they wont do for mash lol). Took about 25mins to walk the usual 7mins to the shop (with the kids and DH in tow). I could have driven but our road is like a sheet of ice with a little incline that no one seems to have concured today (and being pregnant and having little ones I didnt fancy giving it a go!).

I have a hospital appointment tomorrow and either DH or his dad is going to drive so I will see if we can make a detour into MrA or MrT so I can get a little stock up of the things we will need.

School has been closed since Tuesday and my little ones can only spend a short time in the snow before they get cold and/or bored so I am going a bit stir crazy being stuck indoors (there is only so much colouring/sticking etc you can do)!!!

Hope everyone else is doing ok with the snow or otherwise.
    2 adults and 3 children DD (12), DD (10) & DS (7) and 2 mental beagles
  • katholicos
    No spend day today. Have had a good sort out of my stock cupboard and pantry. I'm all for eating out of date tinned and packet foods but my collection of couscous was really quite alarming so i made 2 huge bowls up of it and put it outside for the birds! We ate from the freezer and cupbaords again today. Jacket spuds, cheese and beans with home made bread. Also just made some peanut butter fudge....which is rather yummy even if i do say so meself....off to knick a bit more of it...it supposed to be going in the freezer for Christmas, but it might not make it at this rate!
    Grocery Challenge for October: 135/200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
    • jintyb
    • By jintyb 2nd Dec 10, 5:30 PM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 17,926 Thanks
    jintyb
    No spend day today. Have had a good sort out of my stock cupboard and pantry. I'm all for eating out of date tinned and packet foods but my collection of couscous was really quite alarming so i made 2 huge bowls up of it and put it outside for the birds! We ate from the freezer and cupbaords again today. Jacket spuds, cheese and beans with home made bread. Also just made some peanut butter fudge....which is rather yummy even if i do say so meself....off to knick a bit more of it...it supposed to be going in the freezer for Christmas, but it might not make it at this rate!
    Originally posted by katholicos

Any chance of the recipe for the fudge? Sounds fab! I'm having the same dinner as you - my tattie is in the oven as I type ( no micro)
    One of my fave dinners!

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
  • katholicos
    Any chance of the recipe for the fudge? Sounds fab! I'm having the same dinner as you - my tattie is in the oven as I type ( no micro)
    One of my fave dinners!
    Originally posted by jintyb
    Of course!

1 lb icing sugar
    250 grams peanut butter
    228 grams butter
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp vanilla essence

Melt the butter, salt and peanut butter...either in a microwave or over a saucepan of boiling water. When melted stir in the vanilla essence and icing sugar. When mixed together, put the mixture into a baking tin or other recepticle of your choosing. If you line the tin with foil it is easier to remove the fudge later. Refrigerate until it firms up
    Grocery Challenge for October: 135/200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
    • kippers
    • By kippers 2nd Dec 10, 5:48 PM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 6,035 Thanks
    kippers
    Spent 1.07 on carrots from co-op today and 2 for two bags of hula hoops (20 packs altogether which i thought was good). This morning i went to my allotment in the snow and dug up a red cabbage for tomorrows tea and some leeks for tea tonight...we had mushroom and leek pasta bake, without the mushroom lol....it was lovely. We had it with h/m garlic bread, carrots and brussells which my dad kindly brought me today (my brussells at my allotment are hopeless this year).

Anyway, i'm keeping in budget so far, but i must keep it up
    • agiaga
    • By agiaga 2nd Dec 10, 5:51 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    agiaga
    I'm joining again
    for December 2010 for me please
    mortgage started 31st May 2011 -59200
    mortgage overpayment started July 2011
    • Billie-jo
    • By Billie-jo 2nd Dec 10, 6:11 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 15,892 Thanks
    Billie-jo
    Spent a bit more than usual today but had to go out to take mum to hospital so thought would get some extra bits in just in case the weather continues to be bad. On the plus side T$sco musn't have had many customers over the last few days as the reduced section was full of things. I managed to get an oxtail reduced to 2.34, some minced beef for 1.65 and some prawns. There was lots of lamb, ready meals and pork as well but dont have a lot of room in freezer atm so resisted. Total spend was 49.08
    Have to take a birthday card and present to someone tomorrow so will probably get some milk while out.

Hope everyone is keeping well and warm.
    [COLOR="Purple"][B] MARCH 62.38/250 [B][COLOR="Purple"]
  • rosieben
    katholicos peanut butter fudge is now in the index
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • BlimusOreilly
    19.24 spent in Mr Ms today.
    DFW Nerd 941 Proud to be dealing with my debt
    August GC 0/300

• LolaLemon
    • By LolaLemon 2nd Dec 10, 7:14 PM
    • 957 Posts
    • 7,312 Thanks
    LolaLemon
    OMG! panic buyers do my haed in!!!

Ive had 2 nsd's now but got a message to say that the 2 tesco extra's (in my town and the town next to us, less than 6 miles along the coast) have no milk (i noticed they didnt have much goats left, but plenty of cows when i was in 2 days ago) and no bread left, running low on eggs, and no petrol or diesel...
    I threw out loads of stuff in my freezer tonight (new smaller freezer from my parents old house, got rid of my old ancient broken fridge/freezer) feel bad at the waste but some of it was 'best before' 2008!!! now means i can make more and freeze some... so will be utilising the food list at the start of this post.
    Living Simply, not simply living.
    Cheap Christmas '15

Frugal Living for fifth year running. (2010-2015)

Weight Loss - 5b/55lb
    Books Read 2015- 7/30
    • freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 2nd Dec 10, 7:29 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre
    I totally read that as BUTTONS and couldnt work out why someone would go to all that bother (plus not get caught)
    Originally posted by elf06
    Haha, no luckily the buttons are all the same size

I swapped them at lunchtime with no problems and am looking forward to wearing them later

To keep it on topic...no spend today.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: 52/100
  • seasalt
    Since my week's supply of chocolate (for all of us) was found and raided yesterday I had a go at making chocolate concrete today (from the recipe list at the beginning of this thread). Anyone know what the consistency is meant to be like before it goes in the tin and what size tin? I guess it's meant to be something like cookie/biscuit dough but I was struggling to incorporate all the flour - ended up adding an extra egg and probably using too small a tin so they were quite thick - like slightly less rich brownies? What should it be like? We used to have something for school dinners called (by us!) "brick wall and cement" and I thought it would be like this, although OP did say it should be hard on top and moist in the middle and it was. Not much left now anyhoo!

NSD!
    Jan 2011 GC 300/150.79 (2 adults, 2 teens, working dog, includes food/cleaning/toiletries)
    • guccigoo
    • By guccigoo 2nd Dec 10, 8:04 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 5,112 Thanks
    guccigoo
    hi all spent 9.50 in mr s again today, mainly went down for bread but they had none whatsoever or milk i wish they would ration the loaves at the moment, luckily ive got my breadmaker so will be baking a loaf tomorrow but my youngest dd (5) doesnt eat HM bread

Tesco cancelled my online delivery tonight and i cant really blame them the roads are treacherous where i live, havent even attempted to drive my car. Stay safe everyone in the snow and lets hope we see some sun soon
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
    • Dharma Bunny
    • By Dharma Bunny 2nd Dec 10, 9:14 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 412 Thanks
    Dharma Bunny
    NSD yesterday, but FIL took us to supermarket to get stocked up, so 54.61 spent.
    We're snowed in pretty much, it's up to DS bum where it's not been trodden down, so don't think we'll get near any shops for a few days.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,409Posts Today

4,377Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin