Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Glad
    • By Glad 17th Oct 10, 1:51 AM
    • 17,957Posts
    • 39,913Thanks
    Glad
    MSE Parents Club Part 15
    • 17th Oct 10, 1:51 AM
    MSE Parents Club Part 15 17th Oct 10 at 1:51 AM
    This is a continuation of the Parents Club part 14 which can be found here and has been closed due to its length

The MSE Parents Club thread is for sharing money-saving tips, and giving and getting mutual support and advice

Suggestions to keep the thread running smoothly
    • Put questions or anything you don't want to be missed in bold and or colour or use a smiley
    • Put an indication of age of child either in signature or in posts where it is relevant for people to understand/reply to a post.
    • If you don't get a response to something, post it again.
    • If you are replying to someone, make sure you either quote them or use their name so that if they don't read through everything they can find your post.
    Last edited by Glad; 17-10-2010 at 1:56 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
Page 376
    • aless02
    • By aless02 23rd Nov 10, 8:10 AM
    • 5,115 Posts
    • 34,754 Thanks
    aless02
    weezl, we have 1 of those but it's so big, it slips over his eyes! May need to find a smaller one until his head grows. Ta...

Also, hugs that you're feeling a bit meh. Sorry I haven't been around for chats lately - give us the latest on F&K!
    top 2013 wins: iPad, 50 dental care, 50 sportswear, 50 Nectar GC, 300 B&Q GC; jewellery, Bumbo, 12xPringles, 2xDiesel EDT, 25 Morrisons, 50 Loch Fyne

would like to win a holiday, please!!
    Mummy to Finn - 12/09; Micah - 08/12!
  • weezl74
    weezl - I know that feeling. My friend suggested that because I was worried about being a good parent and if I wsa trying hard at being a good parent then I probabaly was a good parent
    Originally posted by r.mac
    thank you r.mac, she sounds like a good friend and I think that is true. I think my biggest self-criticism is that I'm very aware I get a lot of help and STILL don't feel I'm coping well. Which makes me worry why I have such different resources to other mums.

I hope you all have a fantastic meet today. xx

Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz
    Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it 67/3.60/0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for 40
    • got-it-spend-it
    • By got-it-spend-it 23rd Nov 10, 8:23 AM
    • 4,981 Posts
    • 26,648 Thanks
    got-it-spend-it
    I totally relate to that Weezl, but I think we adapt to our circumstances so I'm sure if we had to do it without that support then we would adapt to that.

We're all doing a good job!

On a different note Henry got one of these for his birthday and he loves it! I worry slightly though as it has a Henry engine button, but pronounces it Hennery! I hope H doesn't start copying.
    Yummy mummy, runner, baker and procrastinator
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 23rd Nov 10, 9:04 AM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    r.mac
    I agree with GISI - we adapt to our circumstances. And everyone is different. And everyone also has different breaking points too. And it also depends on what you mean by help. So, to sum up, it just really depends!!!
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    Originally posted by aless02
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
  • weezl74
    thanks aless, gisi, and r.mac.

r.mac
    , yes I see that (intellectually) and I'm trying to let that be adequate for me emotionally as well. I think having overly high expectations of myself is something I always live with and am trying to relax my own rules about.

cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it 67/3.60/0
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 23rd Nov 10, 9:27 AM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    r.mac
    weezl - my GP and HV have spoken about this very thing. FWIW they said they saw a high incidence of PND (not in the slightest suggesting that you have PND, just putting their comments into the context in which we were discussing them) in over-achievers which was something that was a defining character of our generation. As women of our generation we are told we can have it all and we can do it all and life has never been do easy or good. Plus we are constantly bombarded by unhelpful images of celebrity mums/parents by the media.

IMHO I think that all we have now are more choices - we can't realistically have it all, but have the choice to have things that previous generations did not. This does not necessrily make life easier, but rather more confusing as we are constantly trying to make choices/worrying about those choices/reviewing those choices.

Just my take on things This and the chapter 'am I about to get divorced?' are the chapters I'd like to see included in the pregnancy/new baby/new parenting books.
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
  • weezl74
    weezl - my GP and HV have spoken about this very thing. FWIW they said they saw a high incidence of PND (not in the slightest suggesting that you have PND, just putting their comments into the context in which we were discussing them) in over-achievers which was something that was a defining character of our generation. As women of our generation we are told we can have it all and we can do it all and life has never been do easy or good. Plus we are constantly bombarded by unhelpful images of celebrity mums/parents by the media.

IMHO I think that all we have now are more choices - we can't realistically have it all, but have the choice to have things that previous generations did not. This does not necessrily make life easier, but rather more confusing as we are constantly trying to make choices/worrying about those choices/reviewing those choices.

Just my take on things This and the chapter 'am I about to get divorced?' are the chapters I'd like to see included in the pregnancy/new baby/new parenting books.
    I don't mind you suggesting PND r.mac, I have done the edinburgh test a few times now and always come out in the clinical population, so that's accurate. I'm aware i need a whole-life strategy and am trying to work it out this week.

Good chapter headings suggest also 'don't shave your legs for 18 months and other self-care sacrifices' and '10 things to consider doing instead when you want to sell your baby on Ebay'

If you'd like to write the text, I will do photography and layout
    Last edited by weezl74; 23-11-2010 at 9:39 AM.

• got-it-spend-it
    • By got-it-spend-it 23rd Nov 10, 9:40 AM
    • 4,981 Posts
    • 26,648 Thanks
    got-it-spend-it
    Can we also have a chapter heading 'You are doing a great job' and 'How to lose friends and alienate people- becoming a baby bore'....we should totally write a book between us, featuring a combination of all our parenting styles .
  • Evansangel
    10 things to consider doing instead when you want to sell your baby on ebay.

1. "accidently" leaving it at the shop isn't an option either
    Wife, Mum, Fashion Student, Morrisons Worker
    2012: Clear CC, Clear Catalogue, Start Saving!
  • MadDogWoman
    Morning all,

Interesting night here, I was up to silly o'clock watching a film, then Katie woke us coughing in the almost being sick way, so I didn't really settle after that, so a very tired MDW this morning.

Katie's OK, she's got a bit of a runny nose so it's probably linked to that. She's gone to toddler group with mum.

Plans for the day, finish the washing, talc the swimming pool and put away, take Katie dancing.

Hugs to everyone.
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
    DD Katie born April 2007!
    3 years 9 months and proud of it
    dreams do come true (eventually!)

• weezl74
    EA how did it go at the consultant meet?

• weezl74
    I see you Bruno! how are you doing? Is DW ok?

• aless02
    • By aless02 23rd Nov 10, 10:11 AM
    • 5,115 Posts
    • 34,754 Thanks
    aless02
    I love it!

weezl, have you seen GP yet about your Edinburgh score? Please take care of yourself, lovey - there are other options if you don't want to take pills.

top 2013 wins: iPad, 50 dental care, 50 sportswear, 50 Nectar GC, 300 B&Q GC; jewellery, Bumbo, 12xPringles, 2xDiesel EDT, 25 Morrisons, 50 Loch Fyne

• kitkat5566
    • By kitkat5566 23rd Nov 10, 10:13 AM
    • 1,313 Posts
    • 5,102 Thanks
    kitkat5566
    Hi Twoflowers I can't imagine what your going through but please feel free to vent as much as you like, the ladies here (and Bruno!) are full of support and advice.

Thanks everyone for your advice re: my OH, T's eczema and cleaning silver (randomly!) I spoke to OH last night on the phone and online chat, I think he understands and said he will try to support me as much as poss with the way I have been feeling, although I am a little concerned it's opened our minds to what could be the source of how I am feeling...

My mum was supposed to come over today but she is ill we were guna bath T as I cant do it myself (due to my back). Wish she was well, feel v aware that I havent left the house/ seen a human being since Sunday AM. I am having no luck with this amazon black friday thing, I tried to add something to just see how it all works and the page completely crashed and has been loading since. Also got a parcel to collect from PO, but the pram doesnt fit in the shop and I dont particularly wana leave T outside, do I drive with him in car?! (its 5 mins walk!!)
  • weezl74
    I love it!

weezl, have you seen GP yet about your Edinburgh score? Please take care of yourself, lovey - there are other options if you don't want to take pills.

I'm due to go tomorrow afternoon, it was a bit tricky to work out a time for an appointment when I could have some childcare.

hope your new job is going well x

• workinmummy
    • By workinmummy 23rd Nov 10, 10:32 AM
    • 1,479 Posts
    • 8,278 Thanks
    workinmummy

KitKat - I'm sorry I still haven;t got the name of the cream for you but one tip that has made a huge difference to T is that you need to put LOADS of cream on frequently. The HV used the words 'baste him in it' lol. She ran her hand over his skin and said that he should have so much cream on that if you do that then your hand should feel moist at any point during the day. If it's dry then it's not working. His has near enough gone, it's makes me so happy to see his skin so clear
    Originally posted by gill_81uk
    Gill is the creams called Hydromol. Very greasy and vaseline like? My HV said this would bring out the red, then to out the steroid cream on where it was red. It's very messey, but worked though.
    • aless02
    • By aless02 23rd Nov 10, 12:15 PM
    • 5,115 Posts
    • 34,754 Thanks
    aless02
    Where is everyone? It's lunchtime and I need company!

• got-it-spend-it
    • By got-it-spend-it 23rd Nov 10, 12:23 PM
    • 4,981 Posts
    • 26,648 Thanks
    got-it-spend-it
    Well Henry and I rocked up at the doctors' this morning for his jabs, only to be told the nurse is off sick so we have to go back next week. Apparently they had no way of letting people know- so presumably my doctors' surgery is the only one in the UK without phones .

And I've now had a phone call to say swimming is cancelled too! Need to think of something else to do now.
    • workinmummy
    • By workinmummy 23rd Nov 10, 12:24 PM
    • 1,479 Posts
    • 8,278 Thanks
    workinmummy
    I'm here Aless. Just back from lunch.

I think everyone is too scarred to click away from Amazon Black Friday
    • aless02
    • By aless02 23rd Nov 10, 12:26 PM
    • 5,115 Posts
    • 34,754 Thanks
    aless02
    Oh no! Can you not just take Henry swimming yourself and paddle around?

I'm refusing to go on the Amazon site to even SEE what's there. We have no money and I don't need anything, so there.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,691Posts Today

9,095Users online

Martin's Twitter