Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 19th Nov 10, 3:04 PM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    MSE News: Scottish Power is third energy firm to hike prices for winter
    • 19th Nov 10, 3:04 PM
    MSE News: Scottish Power is third energy firm to hike prices for winter 19th Nov 10 at 3:04 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The company is hitting 2.5 million homes with 2% rises for gas and 8.9% for electricity from 25 November ..."

Page 1
    • Paulgonnabedebtfree
    • By Paulgonnabedebtfree 19th Nov 10, 4:03 PM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 28,940 Thanks
    Paulgonnabedebtfree
    • 19th Nov 10, 4:03 PM
    • 19th Nov 10, 4:03 PM
    I think that's called sod's law as I'm in the process of switching to them.
    Whoever I'm with it's going to happen sooner rather than later though and at least I will be getting hold of a promotional 50 switching fee.
    Odd though it may sound, my fuel usage isn't much higher in winter than in summer. I just use warm jumpers. I suppose I need lights on a bit longer but that isn't much really, especially with these low wattage bulbs. Living on my own gives me those choices without anyone moaning about being cold
  • Gerrard_8_lfc
    • 19th Nov 10, 5:13 PM
    • 19th Nov 10, 5:13 PM
    Oh my none of us could have predicted this.....

If I had an energy company and was waiting to increase prices id wait until like 11pm on a friday night so chances are 70% of my customers may be drunk out their heads and forget.
    His Heart Proved He Was A Red
    Suarez, Suarez
    We Bought The Lad From Amsterdam
    We Know He's Not a Chelsea Fan.
    Fernando Torres = El Judas
  • keith lard
    • 19th Nov 10, 5:20 PM
    • 19th Nov 10, 5:20 PM
    More like their profits will be up next year by 8.9%.
    If you want to see a rainbow, you have to get used to the rain.
    • Anon
    • By Anon 19th Nov 10, 10:07 PM
    • 13,742 Posts
    • 152,314 Thanks
    Anon
    • 19th Nov 10, 10:07 PM
    • 19th Nov 10, 10:07 PM
    All the energy companies have got sneaky, adding exit fees to normal (non-fixed rate) online deals. Does anyone know if you can exit without penalty because they are putting the prices up, or have they covered that base in their T&Cs? I know switching may not necessarily save much on the tariff, but an extra cashback generally doesn't go amiss and makes it worthwhile.

Anon
    • Swipe
    • By Swipe 20th Nov 10, 7:06 AM
    • 2,262 Posts
    • 1,192 Thanks
    Swipe
    • 20th Nov 10, 7:06 AM
    • 20th Nov 10, 7:06 AM
    I recently switched to SP but even with the price hike they are still cheaper than the online tariff with BG (for my area) that I would have gone to had I not switched.
    • split second
    • By split second 20th Nov 10, 7:07 AM
    • 2,694 Posts
    • 4,157 Thanks
    split second
    • 20th Nov 10, 7:07 AM
    • 20th Nov 10, 7:07 AM
    i'm off in the new year, bound to be a better deal than what i am on now even though my combined bill is rarely over 60 a month
    Who remembers when X Factor was just Roman suncream?
  • markwallace
    • 20th Nov 10, 8:38 AM
    Huge real increase
    • 20th Nov 10, 8:38 AM
    The Online Energy Saver 9 increase for electricity in my case is 26%.
    Scottish Power are now charging the first 225 units at 13.172p. Originally it was the first 147 units at 10.676p.
    Additional units have risen from 8.85p to 10.919p.
    The headlines saying 9% electricity increase is a tad misleading
    • davidgmmafan
    • By davidgmmafan 20th Nov 10, 9:07 AM
    • 1,450 Posts
    • 523 Thanks
    davidgmmafan
    • 20th Nov 10, 9:07 AM
    • 20th Nov 10, 9:07 AM
    Its always like that, the price rise is expressed as an average figure across all tariffs and supply areas. It can be misleading for some customer, like yourself, who may think of that's not too bad when seeing the headline rate only to find that the rise for them is much more. Not sure what the solution is as you can't really say we're putting prices up be 4% in MPAN 11, 6% in MPAN 15 etc etc.
  • markwallace
    Its always like that, the price rise is expressed as an average figure across all tariffs and supply areas. It can be misleading for some customer, like yourself, who may think of that's not too bad when seeing the headline rate only to find that the rise for them is much more. Not sure what the solution is as you can't really say we're putting prices up be 4% in MPAN 11, 6% in MPAN 15 etc etc.
    Originally posted by davidgmmafan
    Glad I did the calculation tho'. Now jumping ship to a fixed rate till 2012 despite the initial increase and ScotPower leaving charges
    • Swipe
    • By Swipe 20th Nov 10, 9:31 AM
    • 2,262 Posts
    • 1,192 Thanks
    Swipe
    The Online Energy Saver 9 increase for electricity in my case is 26%.
    Scottish Power are now charging the first 225 units at 13.172p. Originally it was the first 147 units at 10.676p.
    Additional units have risen from 8.85p to 10.919p.
    The headlines saying 9% electricity increase is a tad misleading
    Originally posted by markwallace
    Where can I find the new prices for my area? I can't find anything on their crappy website.
  • KimYeovil
    They have also slashed the prompt payment discount from 12.50 per month to 6.40 per month. Another company withdraws provision for households with a low consumption. (Yes, yes, I know, surely "closes a loop-hole and makes tariff fairer for all" if I want to be consistant with my previous spoutings.)
  • KimYeovil
    Where can I find the new prices for my area? I can't find anything on their crappy website.
    Originally posted by Swipe
    Use links below "ScottishPower Products" on this page:
    http://www.scottishpower.co.uk/your-home/existing-customer/energy-products.aspx
  • markwallace
    Originally posted by Swipe
    I printed them from the Energyhelpline website
    • Swipe
    • By Swipe 20th Nov 10, 9:48 AM
    • 2,262 Posts
    • 1,192 Thanks
    Swipe
    FYI uswitch.com has also updated the prices rises on their site.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 20th Nov 10, 11:09 AM
    • 9,597 Posts
    • 2,570 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Is this an "across the board" increase ?
    What about On-line energy saver 4 ?
    At the moment - I am being charged (if the website is correct)
    electricity - 16.981p first 225kw/quarter - 9.631p for remainder
    gas - 4.463p first 1143kwh/quarter - 3.798p for remainder
    With a dual fuel discount of 16.80
    all prices are VAT inclusive
    How does that compare with the opposition ?
    Last edited by 50Twuncle; 20-11-2010 at 11:21 AM.
    • folkestonelisa
    • By folkestonelisa 20th Nov 10, 12:19 PM
    • 498 Posts
    • 379 Thanks
    folkestonelisa
    I too am in the process of switching to them. will wait and see how their bills compare and then see about switching if they are not better.
  • markwallace
    Is this an "across the board" increase ?
    What about On-line energy saver 4 ?
    At the moment - I am being charged (if the website is correct)
    electricity - 16.981p first 225kw/quarter - 9.631p for remainder
    gas - 4.463p first 1143kwh/quarter - 3.798p for remainder
    With a dual fuel discount of 16.80
    all prices are VAT inclusive
    How does that compare with the opposition ?
    Originally posted by 21Twinkle
    Energyhelpline appears to have latest rates
    • somewhereweknow
    • By somewhereweknow 20th Nov 10, 12:58 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    somewhereweknow
    I'm on a capped tarrif with Scottish Power.

Since i joined them the tarrif price has dropped. Now with this new tarrif what does the 'capped mean' ??

Does this newly announced price hike mean that my 'capped' tarrif will revert to what it was when i joined them or is the price drop protected too?
  • Premier
    The pricing structure has undergone a massive restructure.

The 2% gas and 8.9% electric are averages ... but your situation may be completely different.

I've just checked my situation (if I was with them for gas & electric) based on standard rates and found both would increase annually by about 20%

This is largely the result of a prompt payment discount reduction from 150 to just 60
    (electric was 50, now 20; gas was 100, now just 40)
    Ensure the comparison sites include this! It's hidden in the small print and the comparison sites missed such changes previously.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,795Posts Today

8,126Users online

Martin's Twitter