Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Austin Allegro
    • By Austin Allegro 22nd Mar 05, 10:58 AM
    • 1,445Posts
    • 4,072Thanks
    Austin Allegro
    False economy
    • 22nd Mar 05, 10:58 AM
    False economy 22nd Mar 05 at 10:58 AM
    I think a danger for the extreme frugality practiced by 'old stylers' is false economy, so I think it would be a good idea to list false economies we should beware of. Here are some of mine:

Cheap shoes. I find that cheap shoes don't last nearly as long as those that cost a bit more, eg shoes with full leather lining last a lot longer than those with synthetic lining.

Having only a few items of clothing. Again, if you have three pairs of shoes and rotate them, although the initial investment is greater, the value will depreciate less because they will last longer - obviously it's too expensive to have, say 5 winter coats, but if you have ten shirts instead of five for work, then you'll extend their life by 50%.

Using buses instead of trains. It's tempting to use those National Express or 1.50 coaches instead of the train, but it's only worth doing if you have a spare day or two to sit in traffic on bypasses!

Cheap meat/processed food. The classic mistake, cheap meat may be more plentiful but the additives etc can have a bad effect on your overall health.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 17-05-2005 at 11:52 AM.
Page 1
    • tiff
    • By tiff 22nd Mar 05, 11:06 AM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    • 22nd Mar 05, 11:06 AM
    • 22nd Mar 05, 11:06 AM
    I assume you mean cheap meat as in processed meat slices and sausages, not cheap cuts of beef, lamb etc?

I agree with most of your comments above, I always buy leather shoes, Clarks for my kids and they last well.

Using the discount bus to London is a godsend for us as a family. I booked us all to go to London for the day during the easter holidays, total cost for the 4 of us 8.50. We're going to the Science Museum and Natural History Museum, free entry so if we take our lunch it will be a cheap day out. We also dont need to rely on good weather My husband is reluctant to travel on a double decker to London, but if he had his way we would drive, have the cost of petrol, stop at the services for something to eat, cost of parking in London and a possible ticket if we overstay the pay and display meter!

When it comes to other things such as electrical items I always go for quality and then try and find the cheapest price for the chosen item.
    A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went. - Dave Ramsey
    • in my wellies
    • By in my wellies 22nd Mar 05, 11:48 AM
    • 736 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    in my wellies
    • 22nd Mar 05, 11:48 AM
    • 22nd Mar 05, 11:48 AM
    I buy branded washing up liquid as I found the value supermarket ones don't last long.

And I agree about the leather shoes. My OH cleans all the shoes EVERY morning, drives me nuts, but I must admit they look as good new when the children have grown out of them.
    • crana999
    • By crana999 22nd Mar 05, 11:56 AM
    • 572 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    crana999
    • 22nd Mar 05, 11:56 AM
    • 22nd Mar 05, 11:56 AM
    In my eyes, there's not that much point in paying loads extra for shoes that still look amazing when your kids have grown out of them. Obviously you want ones that are good enough quality not to harm their feet, but you could buy slightly less good quality ones siince they aren't going to wear each pair for *that* long.

When you're an adult though it does make more sense to buy better-quality shoes.

Regarding the coach: it depends on the journey, but for me it's often quicker to get the coach. They run several direct services from my home town to big cities, which I would have to change at least once to get to on the train, so I save loads of time & hassle on not having to change trains.

For example, to get to Cambridge on the train, I'd need 3 separate trains plus built in "insurance" time so I wouldn't miss a train if the previous one was a bit late, and I'd then have a 45 minute walk or a bus ride back to where I live in Cambridge. On the coach, I can get one coach directly from my town to cambridge and be 5 minutes walk from where I live, in about 3 hours. No contest there.

Plus, the coaches are usually more reliable than the trains - so I've found anyway.
    • tiff
    • By tiff 22nd Mar 05, 12:02 PM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    • 22nd Mar 05, 12:02 PM
    • 22nd Mar 05, 12:02 PM
    Crana, quality leather shoes doesnt necessarily mean expensive. Clarks shoes can be expensive, but they do have good sales. My Mum was a single parent when we were growing up, she says now that she always made sure we had Clarks shoes and cut back on other areas of clothing. My sister is a single parent and doesnt seem to spend more than 10 on her sons shoes. The last time there was a post on the grabbit board about Clarks sale and she dashed off to get her son some shoes that he needed. The thing is, some kids - especially boys are hard on their shoes. With good leather shoes you only need to polish them and they look fine. With cheaper shoes the stitching goes or the sole comes away from the shoe, they dont last.
    A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went. - Dave Ramsey
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 22nd Mar 05, 12:29 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 22nd Mar 05, 12:29 PM
    • 22nd Mar 05, 12:29 PM
    I had no choice but to buy Clark's shoes for my youngest as he has very broad feet and they're the only ones that do wide enough fittings for him. It meant paying out 30-40 a pair at least twice a year when he was younger but I found them to be very good quality and he'd always outgrown them long before they actually wore out, which was the case with the other boys who had new shoes every 2-3 months at half the price, but the overall cost was the same in the long run :confused:

Luckily, now he's 12 and his feet have got longer (he's an 8 ) he finds he can comfortably wear non-Clark's brands, which he's more than happy with as he couldn't even get "branded" trainers to fit him until recently :rolleyes:
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• crana999
    • By crana999 22nd Mar 05, 12:42 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    crana999
    • 22nd Mar 05, 12:42 PM
    • 22nd Mar 05, 12:42 PM
    Sure, if you can get quality cheaply then why not, but my point was that there's no point buying super dupa amazing shoes when you could get reasonable quality ones for the same price, given that they aren't going to wear them for that long.
    • flea72
    • By flea72 22nd Mar 05, 12:43 PM
    • 5,218 Posts
    • 5,238 Thanks
    flea72
    • 22nd Mar 05, 12:43 PM
    • 22nd Mar 05, 12:43 PM
    how does having ten shirts for work, rather than five prolong their life by 50%? - do clothes need a resting period between wears, to recoup their textile integrity?

i would assume if you have bought 10 shirts you have paid double the price of 5, so why not buy 5 and just wear them, and then when they have worn out, buy 5 more - means i dont have money sitting in my wardrobe, rather than my bank?
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 22nd Mar 05, 12:52 PM
    • 10,158 Posts
    • 16,590 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    • 22nd Mar 05, 12:52 PM
    • 22nd Mar 05, 12:52 PM
    False economy - I sometimes wonder whether buying veg or salad stuff that's reduced for quick sale means some of the vitamins have had it. Every bit of publicity about the 5-a-day "rule" etc. always states *fresh* fruit and veg - so if it's been lying around the supermarket (or in the fridge at home for that matter) for a few days, maybe some of the benefits are lost. I don't know - I buy it anyway and am still alive!

Also I'm never quite sure what I'm risking if I eat something that is past its best before date. For example I'm currently working my way through a packet of rice that is quite "past it" date-wise, but looks and tastes fine. I think with meat you can see if it's off (not that much meat enters this house, but sometimes the stuff they are trying to flog in the reduced chiller cabinet is gross), but I've heard there is a built-in margin on dairy goods and ready meals, so would probably risk these a day or two late. Eggs and cheese always seem to be okay for some time after the stated date (famous last words ).
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• Sarahsaver
    My kids have had leather shoes from clarks, start rite, moschino...!!!

But they were from the charity shop
    I got some footwear bargains for the kids from M&S sale in the new year.

As for adults clothing you must look at it as cost per wear. If you buy a classic coat and wear it for half the year and it lasts 5 years it may work out more cost effective than the trendy impulse purchase you got 'cheap' but slung to the back of the wardrobe.

I get meat cheaply, but it is not 'cheap' meat, if you see what I mean. I get it from a butcher which sells things intended for high street retailers but which are either overmakes or not uniform enough in size.

My fruit and veg is cheap but again its not poor quality. It comes from the market. Yesterday got 4lb pears and 4lb apples - total cost 2.

The only thing I have noticed is I used to buy Tesco value loo roll, and a pack of their regular stuff lasted much longer than I would have thought. Does anyone here put the date on things to see how long they last? I have heard of that, but I don't do it - yet!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 22nd Mar 05, 1:10 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    The only thing I have noticed is I used to buy Tesco value loo roll, and a pack of their regular stuff lasted much longer than I would have thought. Does anyone here put the date on things to see how long they last? I have heard of that, but I don't do it - yet!
    by Sarahsaver
    I mentioned once before that I found it to be false economy to buy value type loo rolls. I can get a pack of 6 for 1 at the local discount shop but it won't even last as long as a two-pack of Andrex (or similar luxury type!)

I usually buy my loo rolls in big bags too when it's 12 for 9, or BOGOF etc so it works out even cheaper. Not to mention it's much softer on the bum too
    ~

• Galtizz
    Don't forget to look out for Clarkes factory shops.

As a kid we went camping to Cornwall in summer every year and always came home via Street (in Somerset) to get school shoes for the next school year.

There are factory shops all over now and I always by my shoes from there (still use Clarkes if possible) I can't find a link for all of them but I know there is the one at Street, there is one at all the McArthur Glenn's in Livingston, York, Mansfield, Cheshire Oaks, Bridgend, Swindon and Ashford. There is also one in a town near me so have a look in the phone book. They are all called 'Clarkes factory shop' and they don't sell anything other than Clarkes.

I got suade winter boots for 35 and I've got leather summer shoes for 20 - 25 before.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt
  • Lillibet
    I think cheap pet food is a false economy, it just leads to digestive problems & other issues as they get older whic costs hundreds or more to treat. I do eek out good quality stuff with supermarket own brand but this is about a 4-1 ratio. Our cat & dog are the only ones who regualry get brand name food in our house!
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
    • Austin Allegro
    • By Austin Allegro 22nd Mar 05, 1:46 PM
    • 1,445 Posts
    • 4,072 Thanks
    Austin Allegro
    Flea 72....I think I'm probably getting mixed up with shoes - these need to 'breathe' between wearings, or they tend to rot.

Either that or money saving has addled my brain...
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 22nd Mar 05, 2:09 PM
    • 10,158 Posts
    • 16,590 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    The simplest way to economise on shoes is to make it a personal rule only to buy them when in the sales.

I don't think I've ever paid more than 25 for a pair of boots or shoes, and also I get them re-heeled and re-soled as soon as they start to wear down, which extends their life, as if they get too far gone they'd just get chucked out or left at the back of the wardrobe.

My favourite black ankle boots cost me 25 over 10 years ago, and have been repaired half a dozen times. They still look good.
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 22nd Mar 05, 2:14 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    I think cheap pet food is a false economy, it just leads to digestive problems & other issues as they get older whic costs hundreds or more to treat. I do eek out good quality stuff with supermarket own brand but this is about a 4-1 ratio. Our cat & dog are the only ones who regualry get brand name food in our house!
    by Lillibet

I completely agree with you there

My two cats are getting on a bit now (11 & 12) and have been fed Hills Science Diet all their lives and have never needed to see a vet for anything other than when they were neutered!!! They'll probably go at some point this year for an old age MOT and blood screens but that will just be a routine visit hopefully
    ~

• BrokeBrokeBroke
    I agree with the comments on Clarks factory shops! Kids feet are so perfect and precious we should try and keep them that way as long as poss. We went to the full price Clark shops to get him sized properly and then got them either onsale or in the factory shops. Best bargains ever $5 each for 2 pairs and $7 each for 2 pairs. 4 new pairs of shoes for the price of one!
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 22nd Mar 05, 8:00 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    I agree about kids shoes. Last year I got DS1 some new school shoes from Asda's - thought they'd only have to lst him 1 term before summer shoes, but boys don't wear sandals! Although they looked like Clarks type ie the double bit of leather across the front, within 3 weeks, he'd worn holes in the outer layer and no end of polishing made them look good. Learnt my lesson good and proper, I tell you. Clarks for school from now on. Even got Clarks trainers (sale of course)

I'm wary of the value meat in supermarkets - often lots of water added. If you have a george Foreman type grill, cook cheap bacon or pork chops and watch the water flood out. I'd rather buy decent meaty chops etc and get my water from the tap.
  • megasaver
    I now get my dd's feet measured at Clarks and then hang on until they have a sale. In the past I used to buy shoes for her at car boots/charity shops.....(eg really expensive leather ones like Buckle my shoe ) but have been put off the idea by a friend. She told me that if the shoes have been worn a little by another child, they have already taken on the shape of that child's feet, so putting them on your child is really bad for their feet. I agree that it is a false econony.
    • Austin Allegro
    • By Austin Allegro 23rd Mar 05, 10:31 AM
    • 1,445 Posts
    • 4,072 Thanks
    Austin Allegro
    Megasaver, I read an article in the 'Tightwad Gazette' where a chiropodist was interviewed and said that second hand shoes did no harm to children's feet, and that it was an old wive's tale that they mould to the wrong shape etc. I'd still be wary though - I've no problems with wearing second hand stuff as long as it can be thoroughly washed or dry cleaned - so for me, second hand shoes are out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,350Posts Today

8,161Users online

Martin's Twitter