Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Oct 10, 5:36 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    November 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Oct 10, 5:36 PM
    November 2010 Grocery Challenge 25th Oct 10 at 5:36 PM
    Hello everyone!

Welcome to the eleventh Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your October budget, then keep on posting in the October 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great Moneysaving Month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-10-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Page 34
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 12th Nov 10, 1:54 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Hello peeps
    Just popped into update my sig. Did my 'big shop' yesterday and had to do a mini one today for the things I forgot (even though they were on my list!) I have 77 to last to the end of the month which is 25th for me. I don't anticipate having to buy anything else food-wise before next Thursday (fingers crossed) and then that's the last week - heck it's going too fast!

I refuse to think about Christmas before 1st December - though we will now have MIL with us after all so won't be able to 'slum' it with Christmas Eve whoopsies as I had planned for me and DH. Hm, will have to put my thinking cap on - MIL has difficult diet and we are going to visit DD1 in Germany from 28th so won't want to buy a big turkey or anything that we can't save and freeze easily.

Thanks Greent for the message - have sent a reply.

Moniker
    • de1amo
    • By de1amo 12th Nov 10, 2:02 PM
    • 3,278 Posts
    • 10,921 Thanks
    de1amo
    İ looked on the shelves for local products because i was guessing it was an import but nothing was appreciatably cheaper despite looking only good for horses!
    İt was roughly 3 quid for the special k and 3 quid for the nestle museli--so 6 quid in total. i did the economy drive by choosing the largest versions available with ekonomi paket emblaisoned on them, Generaly in Turkey they offer no discount for choosing the biggest packet of anything so i might have made a killing!!
    i am trying to familiarise myself with our shopping bill and how prices are structure in a country where i dont speak the lingo and competition between supermarkets doesnt seem to exist here.
    mfw'11 No68- 55k mortgage İO--little to nothing saved! i must do better.
    • de1amo
    • By de1amo 12th Nov 10, 2:07 PM
    • 3,278 Posts
    • 10,921 Thanks
    de1amo
    my mail got cut in 2--each pack was approximately 3 quid for the museli and special k--so against 3,89 it was cheaper??--i am not sure what are imports here because turkey has a lot of food production along with clothing --clothes here are so cheap and labelled up for export to the uk but find their way onto the bazaar--m and s is one of the biggest--you see 14,99 labelled things for 2 pounds etc
    • NickJW
    • By NickJW 12th Nov 10, 2:19 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    my mail got cut in 2--each pack was approximately 3 quid for the museli and special k--so against 3,89 it was cheaper??--i am not sure what are imports here because turkey has a lot of food production along with clothing --clothes here are so cheap and labelled up for export to the uk but find their way onto the bazaar--m and s is one of the biggest--you see 14,99 labelled things for 2 pounds etc
    Originally posted by de1amo
    That doesn't sound too bad actually compared regular prices here. Of course when they are on offer here it may be cheaper, but it doesn't appear as though you're being ripped off. I think it's just that everywhere in the world, food prices are going up, in comparison to the amount of money we all have
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 46.05/130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent 1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent 1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011
  • BlimusOreilly
    23.77 spent at Mr M's. Was supposed to be going in for just a few items but there were so many deals on this week (for things that are on my next week list) that I got everything that was on next week's list too. Best buy: loads of whoopsied black pudding. Found out that it can be frozen so bought lots of it. We love the stuff here
    DFW Nerd 941 Proud to be dealing with my debt
    August GC 0/300

• de1amo
    • By de1amo 12th Nov 10, 2:33 PM
    • 3,278 Posts
    • 10,921 Thanks
    de1amo
    Things here can be monstrously inflated eg 3,20 for colgate total 125ml but things like fruit and veg i sense are cheaper and we certainly have a great array of small traders with stalls brim full of all sorts--i feel sadened when i go to somewhere like lidls when i go home to see the limited but reasonable fruit and veg.--within 5 minutes walk of my home there are at least 5 markety type fruit and veg places.
    Meat has been a big talking point recently because they have actually had to import beef for the first time --angus beef from australia because the home grown stuff has become so expensive-i bought so beef steaks the other day and it was 7 quid for 300grammes--sorry for the metric but i am lost in the old stuff!! -it was delicious and lasted us 3 meals. we are not big eaters and vegetarian food is a typical turkish family's fare!--people supplement a meal with natural yoghurt and then later nuts.--try it and then you may save big time on meat!
    • Craftyscholar
    • By Craftyscholar 12th Nov 10, 2:38 PM
    • 3,389 Posts
    • 62,310 Thanks
    Craftyscholar
    MrS - 9.59 - needed to stock up on twinks ingredients.

• adelight
    Hi all. Nipped into budgens on my way home and picked up crumpets 20p and pack of NY bagels 20p. The bagels aren't out of date until sunday and as both get toasted I don't mind if they're stale
    They had lots of probiotic yogurts on the reduced shelf so I'll pop back later when they're cheaper and see if I can get a starter for my yogurt! Reduced yogurts don't tend to sell well as most people won't eat a 500ml pot of yogurt in one night!
    Living cheap in central London
    • de1amo
    • By de1amo 12th Nov 10, 3:09 PM
    • 3,278 Posts
    • 10,921 Thanks
    de1amo
    ade--i do note with interest your spelling of yoghurt. Yogurt is the turkish spelling where the origins of the stuff comes from--heavens knows why they added a -h- when it was put in the english language!!--try the natural yogurt as side protein with things--i have it on nearly every meal and it bolsterous protein with little calories intake-and its healthy!
    • Want_to_be_free
    • By Want_to_be_free 12th Nov 10, 4:22 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 977 Thanks
    Want_to_be_free
    ade--i do note with interest your spelling of yoghurt. Yogurt is the turkish spelling where the origins of the stuff comes from--heavens knows why they added a -h- when it was put in the english language!!--try the natural yogurt as side protein with things--i have it on nearly every meal and it bolsterous protein with little calories intake-and its healthy!
    hehe I like the Turkish spelling, and I love Turkish yogurt...There is a shop sells world food including Turkish, 20 minutes away by car. I go there once a month and buy lots such as white cheese and olives, not very MSE but very yummy and healthy indeed
    Don't forget smiling
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 12th Nov 10, 4:27 PM
    • 4,842 Posts
    • 58,667 Thanks
    sistercas
    spent 77 pounds in MrT and mr S today , managed to pick up the 3 for 1 offers on kipling mince pies and goodfella pizzas

also got xmas crackers and a xmas table cloth and some half price fizzy wine

they did have the 3 for 2 on baking stuff in my local mr T this week ( i went last week when it was supposed to be on and there was nothing ) so picked up some cherries and dried fruit for my xmas cake
    • de1amo
    • By de1amo 12th Nov 10, 4:27 PM
    • 3,278 Posts
    • 10,921 Thanks
    de1amo
    My wife had a arguement while we were in the uk with an olive salesman. He was selling what was suspose to be turkish olive but they werent from these shores!! and the price was astonishing. i cant rmember what he was asking but we pay about 3,50 quid for a kilo of real quality --his excuse was that they were imports!-we got turkish ones for a good price eventually in a 'foreign student part of my home town'-there are surprising bargains to be had for exotic food to be had in such places, we dont buy pork so they have some good 'arabic derivitives of acceptable beef products--cosher food in places like asda is a real expensive option.
    Last edited by de1amo; 12-11-2010 at 4:31 PM.
  • katholicos
    Welcome back Hippiechiq!

That Sticky Toffee Pudding linky doesn't work :-(

Searched through for the receipt to get the tuna refund, but it's pretty bad, and you can't see whats written on it fully
    I doubt I will be able to get my money back? Unless they can check via my clubcard? If I go in, and they don't accept I'll just leave the tuna there because I don't have any cats who will want it! Has anyone else tried to return to Mr T without a receipt before?
    Originally posted by NickJW
    Nick, since it is their own value brand i don't see how they could think you bought it from a different supermarket, so take it back and also take the receipt with you. There might be some legible reference on it, to your purchases that day... that they can then issue you a refund.

If it's a problem, just say you don't usually hold on to your receipts because you have the reasonable expectation that your groceries will not taste so foul, that you have to return them.
    Grocery Challenge for October: 135/200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • katholicos
    No spend day today. Yipee!

Made about 40 North Staffs Oatcakes, some to give away, some for us. Had some with melted cheese for tea. Delish!
    Grocery Challenge for October: 135/200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 12th Nov 10, 4:42 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Thought I would share the recipe below as it is so quick and simple to do:

Crunchy topped cod

4 pieces of skinned cod fillet (or any firm white fish)
    2 medium tomatoes, skinned and deseeded
    2oz (wholemeal) breadcrumbs
    Finely grated juice and rind of a lemon
    1 tsp sunflower oil
    2 tbsp chopped parsley
    Salt and pepper

Put fish in an oven proof dish. Mix all the other ingredients together (easiest in a food processor). Spoon over and spread on fish fillets. Bake in a moderate oven (160 C, gas mark 3-4) for about 15 20 minutes. Serve hot with vegetables.

Not sure where I got this from as it is written out on a card. I only used half a lemon as it was quite large. A quick way to deseed the tomatoes is to put them in a glass dish, cover with boling water and then microwave on high for a couple of minutes till they split. Let them cool a bit and then the skins slide off easily.

Enjoy!

Moniker
    • ecoelle
    • By ecoelle 12th Nov 10, 5:58 PM
    • 1,513 Posts
    • 3,829 Thanks
    ecoelle
    Hiya guys, well end of week two of my first grocery challenge, and so far so good.

Week 1: 35.42
    Week 2: 36.56

Total so far 71.98

So 8.02 under budget at the moment!!!
    14 years to go on the mortgage
    • freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 12th Nov 10, 6:16 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre
    2.86 spent in Holland & Barrett yesterday on spicy sesame peanuts. Totally unnecessary, but they're lovely and were on the buy one get one half price offer, so i'm using that as an excuse

I'm really trying to empty my freezer to defrost it so am avoiding the shops as know i'll end up finding some bargains. Just text my dad to let him know about some offers in Lidl (1kg pack of chicken thighs for 1.69 and a pack of pork loin steaks for 1.49) and he's offered to get some and keep them in their freezer for a while. They're a really good price and I will use them so may take him up on the offer and 'rent' some freezer space!
    Grocery challenge - Nov: 52/100
    • jintyb
    • By jintyb 12th Nov 10, 6:57 PM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 17,926 Thanks
    jintyb
    I tried to buy marzipan but they only had the ready rolled stuff at around 2.50 which is ludicrous, even with the 3 for 2 offer. Can anyone recommend where is usually cheapest (or even just reasonable) for a block of bog-standard marzipan?
    Originally posted by slbhill
    I usually use A$da Smart Price, it's absolutely fine! The SP white icing is also very good

i just did some shopping for the first time in a long time--i went to a normal supermarket and bought 450g of nestle fruit museli and 500g of special k with fruit--cost me 6 pounds--does that sound right for the same in the uk??---i also bought a large white 'split' from the bakers and it was 0,65p--i am trying to see if my wife is shopping in the wrong places and how prices compare to the uk to see how my budget should be levelled!!
    If you dont mind me saying - since this is your first month, just keep a note of your spends and what you are buying, then at the end of the month you will have a good picture of your spending pattern and therefore where you can make cuts. Not sure if comparing to UK prices is a useful exercise as surely your budget should be aligned to where you actually shop? If you are keen to compare you could use MS to access current prices.

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
    • cw18
    • By cw18 12th Nov 10, 7:52 PM
    • 8,081 Posts
    • 86,080 Thanks
    cw18
    i just did some shopping for the first time in a long time--i went to a normal supermarket and bought 450g of nestle fruit museli and 500g of special k with fruit--cost me 6 pounds--does that sound right for the same in the uk??---i also bought a large white 'split' from the bakers and it was 0,65p--i am trying to see if my wife is shopping in the wrong places and how prices compare to the uk to see how my budget should be levelled!!
    A large 'split tin' (800g) is 1.10 in the supermarket bakery I work in (or 2 for 2)

Can't find that specific muesli, but the A!pen high fruit one is 2.37 for 650g at Mr T

The Sp K is is 2.85 for 500g at Mr T
    Cheryl
    • Sue14
    • By Sue14 12th Nov 10, 8:10 PM
    • 899 Posts
    • 10,894 Thanks
    Sue14
    Well, so much for me sticking to my list, lol! I went on mysupermarket to check how much the things on my list should be, and it came to about 18, but my total spend on groceries was 33.36, and that was after all the discounts were taken off, but I did get some bargains and will get quite a few meals out of what I bought!
    Weight loss challenge 3/10lbs
    Total weight loss 21lbs

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

550Posts Today

5,718Users online

Martin's Twitter