Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Oct 10, 5:36 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    November 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Oct 10, 5:36 PM
    November 2010 Grocery Challenge 25th Oct 10 at 5:36 PM
    Hello everyone!

Welcome to the eleventh Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your October budget, then keep on posting in the October 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great Moneysaving Month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-10-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Page 28
  • missfit
    I did end up spending some money on groceries this weekend but mainly on things for this week. Got enough to make a couple of batches of soup which should see me through to Friday. However, I am nearly out of loo roll and hand soap so will need to go shopping tonight. Hopefully it'll be less than a fiver so I am reasonably on track for this point in the month.
    • Mollina Girl
    • By Mollina Girl 9th Nov 10, 2:14 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 7,301 Thanks
    Mollina Girl
    Another NSD today, that's brings me up to 7 (sig updated). Although I will have to go to Mr M on Thursday. I've made a list and am determined to stick to it. (Mr M thinks he is my friend but he isn't really - it just took me a while to realise it)
    Made a batch of chicken soup and had that for lunch, the rest is in the freezer and we're having sausage casserole in the sc for dinner tonight.
    It's my 1st month doing the GC and just getting myself a bit organised has made all the difference.
  • ~moneysavingnovice~
    I've been re-jigging my budgets and have now decided to include pretty much everything in my GC, but to have separate sub-budgets in my own spreadsheet too.

I first started doing these challenges in April and I now think I've finally found the system that works for me.

I'm looking forward to having an annual total for 2011, and keeping an eye on my spending consistently throughout the year (how sad lol!)
    Mortgage148,725 Student loan13,050 HSBC loan12,221
    AprGC:/320
    • Spiggle
    • By Spiggle 9th Nov 10, 5:55 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 14,202 Thanks
    Spiggle
    Hello All,

I finally got around to updating for the spends on Saturday and Sunday which came to 12+. The sig is now updated too.

It's really cold here at the moment but at least the vicious north wind of this morning has now reduced to a strong north wind! My Mum always used to call the north wind a lazy wind as it didn't go around you but just cut straight through you.

I quite liked your description russetred of the weather being 'baltic'! I suppose it is on the west coast of Scotland so I should stop moaning and being wimpy!

We've had a couple more NSD but unfortunately OH had to go and get some carrots on Sunday as he forgot them on Saturday which keeps the total down. Ah well never mind, I don't intend buying anything else for the next couple of days so that should help.

OK, feeling a bit jaded tonight, it's busy in work at the mo, so I think I'll just have a quick smooch around the other boards and then get off to watch the gogglebox.

Have a good evening everyone and keep warm.

All the best,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013
  • Long tall sally
    Spent 7.50 tonight in Bargain Booze on 6 bottles of coke plus 2.13 in the Co Op on some whoopsied veg & cobs.

Hippeechiq - still thinking of you.
    Grocery aim 450pm.Spent 519 August, 584 July, 544 June, 541 May, 549 April, 517 March, 517 Feb,555 Jan, 573 Dec, 465Nov, 561Oct, 493Sept, 426Aug,496 Jul, 528Jun, 506May,498April, 558 March, 500Feb, 500 Jan, 490 Dec, 555 Nov,566 Oct, 505Sept, 450Aug, 410 July, 437 June, 491 May, 471 April, 440 March, 552Feb, 462Jan
    • freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 9th Nov 10, 6:36 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre
    2.35 spent in Morrisons on Sunday on some oil, body spray and chewing gum. I did buy some cakes too, but they were consumed/left at my sisters, so I won't count those!

I did also buy some cakes today as popped in to see my dad after being 'released' from jury service, but they're not counted either, especially as he bought me a packet of smoked salmon, so it was a good trade really!
    Grocery challenge - Nov: 52/100
    • Want_to_be_free
    • By Want_to_be_free 9th Nov 10, 6:50 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 977 Thanks
    Want_to_be_free
    Just to report my weekly shopping is about 6.5, but struggling with NSD - will try Wed/Thursday and then Sunday
    Don't forget smiling
  • adelight
    Yesterday I got a big bag of reduced oranges for 39p, and the melon I got at market 9 days ago is still going strong in the fridge!
    Spent 3.00 on various root veg, bananas, pasta sauce and pasta. I have a feeling i'll be without coffee for the rest of the month as I need all the pennies I have left to top up on fresh fruit/veg(special offer and bag of spuds...) mid-month.
    Living cheap in central London
    • CupOfChai
    • By CupOfChai 9th Nov 10, 7:23 PM
    • 1,319 Posts
    • 7,295 Thanks
    CupOfChai
    Hi everyone, just dropping by to let you all know I've been shopping again . Picked up what I need for the week, only I just realised as I went to make my sandwich last night for lunch today, I had forgotten to get bread! Had to run to the Spar round the corner, coat over jimjams job, and pay loads more to get it from there. Grr.
    • debtmess
    • By debtmess 9th Nov 10, 7:34 PM
    • 698 Posts
    • 3,045 Thanks
    debtmess
    may i jump in with 100 please x

i have not spent anything yet this month, have a nearly empty fridge (the downside) but will go shopping on friday, need to completely empty freezer before 23rd december im away for the week over xmas (my mums with the boys, she is doing xmas for us ) so this month and next month will b bare basics
    Debt free

Married 15/02/14
    • waddy80
    • By waddy80 9th Nov 10, 7:59 PM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 3,554 Thanks
    waddy80
    I'm not sure how it has happened but I've had a full week of NSD's! I had planned to go whoopsie shopping on friday and again yesterday, but never managed it (and the weather put me off going out!) I even went to the local shop on sunday, with the aim to buy something and they didn't have it.

Anyway I will be spending tomorrow, as we have no fruit or veg, or soft drinks, or bread. Hopefully I will go to lidl, if not it will be the co-op round the corner from my mums. Although I always find the co-op expensive for fruit and veg.
    Money, money, money, must be funny....in a rich mans world.

• Craftyscholar
    • By Craftyscholar 9th Nov 10, 9:18 PM
    • 3,389 Posts
    • 62,310 Thanks
    Craftyscholar
    Mr T for milk and rolls - sugar and butter for baking (and some cake) - 5.56

• Moniker
    • By Moniker 9th Nov 10, 9:29 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Evening all. Another NSD for me. We had hm chicken maryland tonight with cauliflower 'rice', courgettes, sweetcorn and a red pepper and cream sauce. I also made a shepherd's pie with the last remnants of Sunday's roast lamb bulked out with some leftover button mushrooms and grated carrot. I made the mash with 1 potato and 1 swede, so it looks a bit orangy but will be lower carb. Hope it tastes ok. Fortunately DH doesn't mind as long as it's food!

Greent I pm'd you last week - hope you don't mind me 'bumping' you!

Off to bed now - have a hospital appointment tomorrow and need to be up bright and early.

Good night all.

Moniker
    • sharronej
    • By sharronej 9th Nov 10, 10:39 PM
    • 563 Posts
    • 4,784 Thanks
    sharronej
    30 spend in Mr T's today, I suspect any NSD's I have will be at the end of the month! Did take advantage of the cheese 3 for 1 although I don't think it's such a fantastic an offer as they make out due to the way they move the prices around it's still good to pay 4.50 for 1kg of strong cheese, also managed some reduced sausages, milk, cat food and some pork chops (which were lovely) shouldn't need to spend more than a fiver for the rest of the week and the freezer is filling up nicely
  • Picklepud
    quick question I am hoping to have a NSD tomorrow but ... my daughter is making eccles cakes in school and needs amongst other stuff 75g of lard i have some in the fridge but date was up in september! do you think it will be ok or should I forfit my NSD and go and get her some? I have everything else

i also spent 3 on cakes today in work for Charity Teenage Cancer Trust.. so good cause.

updated siggy
    Determined to do better
  • scotsaver
    Does anyone have a Fritatta recipe that they use and are willing to share please. Just a basic one?

I really fancy this for dinner tomorrow but the only recipe I have I know DD1 doesnt like. (Can use my potatoes up then as well).

Originally posted by mummygems
    mummygems - this is the recipe we use, can't remember where I got it from, it's handwritten into my little book so obviously copied from somewhere so apologies to whoever provided it:-

3 Potatoes, peeled and halved
    1 red pepper, sliced
    1 green pepper, sliced
    Mushrooms, sliced
    1 onion chopped
    6 eggs
    Salt & pepper to season

Boil potatoes until almost cooked, drain, slice and fry until crispy on both sides then set aside.
    Fry onion and peppers until softened then add the mushrooms and fry until cooked, add potatoes back to the pan and season everything.
    Whisk the eggs and pour over the veg and cook until nicely browned, turn and cook for a couple of mins on the other side.

Should be a NSD for me today as got everything in that we need for dinner tonight, planning to have Chicken Jambalaya, using up some more chicken from the Freezer.

Have a good day everyone.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• cw18
    • By cw18 10th Nov 10, 7:10 AM
    • 8,083 Posts
    • 86,086 Thanks
    cw18
    my daughter is making eccles cakes in school and needs amongst other stuff 75g of lard i have some in the fridge but date was up in september! do you think it will be ok
    Originally posted by Picklepud
    I would imagine it'll be more than OK

I'm using up some baking margarine that's dated well before September - and the only noticable 'difference' to it is that the outer layer is slightly darker than the inside of the block. Handles fine, bakes fine, and the end result tastes fine too
    Cheryl
  • losingpatience
    Well went to Mr S last night, list in hand and spent 37.84, though 6.63 of that was on a bottle of port for my dad for his birthday. I did get a couple of things that weren't on my list ( the port being one of them ) but the rest were marked down veg for the guinea pigs so I bought those rather than the bag of spinach I was going to get them so it balanced out as I'd estimated my spend to be around 30.

I want to try to make some cornish pasties so need to find somewhere that sells beef skirt, though the butchers round here aren't that great. I rang 12 different butchers/farm shops trying to find somewhere that sold mutton a few weeks ago but no where sold it, is beef skirt hard to get does anyone know?

So the new breakdown on my grocery spends is:

Alcohol 31.94
    Drinks ( soft drinks/milk ) 3.58
    Food 48.68
    Entertaining 27.25
    Guinea Pigs 17.91
    Other/Gifts 13.76

Total 143.12
    Remaining 76.88

Not much money left there, I won't need anything for the guinea pigs for another week and I have everything in for me and OH for at least another week, bar the beef skirt for the pasties... and perhaps some pastry if my attempt to make it goes anything like the last attempt
    Going to get to grips with food shopping again, starting February!

Got married to my lovely hubby on 12/11/2011
    • de1amo
    • By de1amo 10th Nov 10, 8:46 AM
    • 3,278 Posts
    • 10,921 Thanks
    de1amo
    we had a nsd yesterday--unless i have to put painkillers as a grocery item!--i had a root canal filling and İ look like Gordon the golfer today--i live abroad and had no idea what they entailed until it was well underway--the dentist and i dont speak a compatable language!!--Last time i came under the surgeons knife in the same manner i spent 3 months with obscured vision so i hope i get well soon!!-
    mfw'11 No68- 55k mortgage İO--little to nothing saved! i must do better.
    • ecoelle
    • By ecoelle 10th Nov 10, 8:49 AM
    • 1,513 Posts
    • 3,829 Thanks
    ecoelle
    Morning all, i have managed 5 NSD this week and my sig is up to date so we're doing ok. I am planning on some batch cooking today, a bulgar wheat casserole to be portioned up in the freezer and a chilli in the slow cooker, also got to go through the cleaning cupboard and work out anything i might need to get on the weekly shop. Planning on shopping Friday after work, although i hate shopping after work don't really have a choice this week, i am going to do the meal plan today for Friday through to next week so that i have my list ready. I did an inventory last week so just got to double check that it's still up to date. Well, think we may be able to finish the week without spending anything else so that should be good.

Huggs ((())) to those who need them
    Love elle x x x
    14 years to go on the mortgage
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,083Posts Today

7,399Users online

Martin's Twitter