Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Oct 10, 5:36 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    November 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Oct 10, 5:36 PM
    November 2010 Grocery Challenge 25th Oct 10 at 5:36 PM
    Hello everyone!

Welcome to the eleventh Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your October budget, then keep on posting in the October 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great Moneysaving Month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-10-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Page 27
  • mummy2mygirls
    Hi all, havent been on here for a while and need to come back!! Going to start on £450 For this mth while i get back into things.....does include all house things, baby food and dog food.... Have already spent £100 and will do again on shop this week....Aiming for £100 a week main shop and then have £50 for extra milk bread etc for the mth.........
    Need to get back into cooking more from scratch (morning sickness has kind of stumped this) and also doing more baking.
    Kids have macoronie cheese for dinner (have never cooked this before but it looks yummy!!) and me and DH (who is working late) will have fishcakes mash and veg......or i might have already had any left over dinner from the girls......
    GC: Nov: £60.22/£450 Oct: £338.48/£450, July: £363.05/£450, June £447.98/£500
    £2 savers No68: £104/£100

mummy to: 8yr, 5yr, 3yr, 2yr, 1yr. No6 Due Mar 2013 My world.
    • mummygems
    • By mummygems 8th Nov 10, 5:10 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 3,963 Thanks
    mummygems
    Does anyone have a Fritatta recipe that they use and are willing to share please. Just a basic one?

I really fancy this for dinner tomorrow but the only recipe I have I know DD1 doesnt like. (Can use my potatoes up then as well).

I have had to top up milk today but that was all and was happy to leave the shops behind me and get home! I did have a couple of parcels to collect as well but they are crimbo presents so nothing spent out of the GC. I am sure I will need more ham and bread before the main shop at the weekend.
    Last edited by mummygems; 08-11-2010 at 5:14 PM.
    2 adults and 3 children DD (12), DD (10) & DS (7) and 2 mental beagles
    • Chloris
    • By Chloris 8th Nov 10, 5:20 PM
    • 651 Posts
    • 9,422 Thanks
    Chloris
    Updated signature, £16.39 spent over the weekend on GC. Think I might actually be able to manage this. Made Coq au Vin in the slow cooker with whoopsied chicken on the weekend and it was great. Looking forward to using it again. I might brave looking for a butcher on Wednesday. Thanks for the info Spiggs, I was looking for the price per kilo in the C**P today when my 3year old son requested the toilet, I didn't make it back to finish the research. Managed to get some reduced sausages and meatballs though. I'm off to make quince jelly with some donated fruit. It smells wonderful, the juice tastes of rhubarb, off to add sugar.
    • Sunflower1227
    • By Sunflower1227 8th Nov 10, 7:41 PM
    • 1,680 Posts
    • 22,390 Thanks
    Sunflower1227
    Another NSD

Tea tomorrow HM lasagne
    I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.

Weight loss 3 stone
  • Long tall sally
    Ended up getting DD macoroni yesterday for her cookery at school today. Don't know why I bothered really as she gave it to her friend to take home as none of us like it in this house. Anyway that plus bananas puts another £2.46 onto my spends. NSD today though.
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
    • muffin man 7
    • By muffin man 7 8th Nov 10, 11:04 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 7,753 Thanks
    muffin man 7
    had to get milk, sos rolls for son, cheese and marg oh and bottle of pop yesterday just under £5 so i've rounded it up to £5 and put the coppers in my copper jar not doing too bad need to add a receipt from mrA but can't find it will try to add it on tomorrow although the spend on daughters pressie from seperate budget, will need cold tabs and tissues tomorrow gona stock up youngest has nasty cold hope it doesn't set her asthma off like the last one
    2nd purse challenge no040£0 Sealed pot challenge ???? £2 trolley find not counting small coins till end year
  • Picklepud
    spend day for me !! 16.03 aldi £4.75 Iceland. pleased with that needed all i got (apart from Hot chocolate and marshmallows before starting this challange i would have spent twice that and not got what i needed.

off to update siggy
    Determined to do better
    • barneydee
    • By barneydee 9th Nov 10, 5:34 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 2,361 Thanks
    barneydee
    wow this thread grows so quick its hard to keep up with just poped in to up date my spend did big monthly shop £10.46 in Mr A,£29.44 in Mr T and £47.27 in Mr S so atotal of £87.27 i am quite pleased with that, bck to work today (mr s's) hope i can avoid temptation think i'll leave the debit card at home.
    July grocery challenge £250.00/£408.93
    August grocery challenge£350.00
    2/8£28.46
    • de1amo
    • By de1amo 9th Nov 10, 6:00 AM
    • 3,279 Posts
    • 10,921 Thanks
    de1amo
    we had a nsd yesterday--only the second of the month and we are 125 of 175!! i hope my wife has built up a store of food now--i am trying to get somekind of costing on the amount of food we consume at work because this indirectly comes out of our pocket because we own the place!
    mfw'11 No68- 55k mortgage İO--little to nothing saved! i must do better.
    • franby64
    • By franby64 9th Nov 10, 6:11 AM
    • 894 Posts
    • 10,920 Thanks
    franby64
    Morning everybody

Had an NSD yesterday apart from my veggie box - I've decided Monday night will always be a veg stew from now on!

I am going to stick with the box for a while mainly because I just love getting a box of fresh veg! it's my indulgence really!

I was going to try and hold out until next Monday for a delivery but I've gone for A*da on Thursday as that's when the fresh stuff starts to run out - I can't realistically last a fortnight between deliveries so I might go back to weekly. I'm still looking for a routine with my shopping that works for me!

Anyway Thursday's shop will get rid of about another £60 so I will need a cheap week after that if the budget's not going to run away with me!

I'm very into simple soup recipes atm with all this veg and here is one I made yesterday which I found on a forum - I really liked this one but I put slightly too much pepper in it:

Sweet potato and carrot soup.

1 onion
    3 carrots and 2 sweet potatoes (chopped)
    1 litre veg stock
    salt and pepper
    herbs (the writer used coriander, I used a pinch of mixed herbs)

Chop and saute the onion in butter, then add the rest of the veg and cook for a few minutes. Add the stock, season and simmer for 30/40 mins.

Blend the veg and add to the remainder of the soup.

Hope everybody is having a good week.
    Last edited by franby64; 09-11-2010 at 7:23 AM.
    Starting weight on 22/6 14st 00lbs. Weight on 15/2 10st 11lbs. Lost 3st 3lbs.Target 9st 12lbs. 13lbs left.
  • curlybap
    Hi,
    Did the weekly shop yesterday in Tesco came in at £34.19. Got some of flour in the 3 for 2 offer. I also did a monthly meat shop in the local butchers on Sat - £20.39. Should hopefully keep me going until the end of the month - fingers crossed.
    Made a lasagne for the first time last night - was delicious! Got 4 extra portions in the freezer for dinners. My freezer is now full to the brim!
    Grocery Challenge Nov £288.12/£250
    Weekly Spend Challenge: 7Nov £23.30/£30 14Nov EEK!/£70 21Nov £0/£30

• losingpatience
    I decided not to include the £4 odd I spent at m&s in my budget as I used a voucher to pay for this and only bought the mussels and baguette as a treat because I had the voucher.

Have managed to stay away from supermarkets for a week but I'm going to have to go tonight as I need some food for the guinea pigs and a few other bits and pieces. I'm doing a list of what I need which I'm going to ( hopefully! ) stick to, go on Mr S to work out how much it's going to cost and not spend any more!

Was also quite pleased with myself as I had a 700g pack of mince. Half went into the slow cooker yesterday as a chilli which did me and OH for tea with 2 portions in the freezer. The other half is in the slow cooker today to make the hairy bikers version of mince and dumplings which I'm hoping to also get 4 portions out of. I know alot of you would stretch this alot further, but normally I would only get 4 portions out of the whole pack so it's a start! I also made up a batch of lemon curd cupcakes and coconut cupcakes last night as a treat as I refuse to buy cakes or biscuits anymore now so I'm going to have one with my mid morning cuppa nom nom nom
    Going to get to grips with food shopping again, starting February!

Got married to my lovely hubby on 12/11/2011
    • greent
    • By greent 9th Nov 10, 9:18 AM
    • 8,114 Posts
    • 82,380 Thanks
    greent
    Morning!

So much for staying away from the shops - nipped into A!di for some f&v and came out £19.13 lighter for the GC - bought f&v (qute a biit), gnocchi (2 pks), whoopsied pancakes (3 pks), whoopsied rolls, food bags, tom puree, balsamic vinegar and some other bits. Might make a batch of lentil & bacon soup for mine & DS3's lunches - yummy, warming & cheap! (although does nothing really for my overfilled freezer problem....) Can eat the whoopsied rolls today/ tomorrow then - without having to squish them in the freezer.

Up to £189.70 now...

ETA: Oh - and I found a 2 inch piece of the remains of a HM beer bread loaf - 10 days old!! - no mould, but hard - have cut crusts off and diced and will make croutons
    Last edited by greent; 09-11-2010 at 9:23 AM.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £1972.10/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £173.62/£500
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 9th Nov 10, 9:22 AM
    • 4,293 Posts
    • 9,404 Thanks
    Linda32
    Hiya,

I'm trying for £375 this month,
    Month started 29th October and finish 26th November

New Total £115.33

Co-op £17.88

New Total 133.21

I'm looking at £75.00 per week, so this total shouldn't be more than £150.00 by next Friday. (12th November)
    • russetred
    • By russetred 9th Nov 10, 9:29 AM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 9,385 Thanks
    russetred
    Quick update to my total. I've been spending more than normal as I'm starting to buy all the Xmas goodies. I've got all my wine and champers when it was 25% off at mr T. Picked up a box of QS using extra points coupon too. This week its the frozen seafood and need to keep an eye out for the best deal on smoked salmon, we go through loads as the kids love it. I can finally see some spaces growing in the freezer but really need to get the brambles and tayberries out to make jam this week that would really free up a lot of room. Off to make a pot of potato and leek soup its baltic here.
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
    • schrodie
    • By schrodie 9th Nov 10, 9:48 AM
    • 7,667 Posts
    • 11,281 Thanks
    schrodie
    Not a good start to my first attempt at this I [probably] unrealistically set myself a budget of £60 per week for 2 but in the first week went over it by £10 However the shop did contain things we only buy on a monthly (or more) basis (cat food, cling film, coffee etc) I suppose if we take those out then I would have been on budget as it came to £54

We did get a couple of bargains like a big rump steak reduced to £4 which when cut up will provide at least 3 meals and a £6 chicken that should provide at least 4 if not 5 meals.

So hopefully our next shop should only require the very basics like fruit and veg.
  • Rebekah24
    Another NSD

got a few toilet rolls left...fingers crossed they last a week!

Rice pudding for tea tonight thanks to mother in law!
    OU Law student

May Grocery challenge

£30/ £11
  • rosieben
    franby64, your soup recipe is now added to the front page lists
    I'll be trying this one myself
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • kahunababy
    • By kahunababy 9th Nov 10, 11:20 AM
    • 165 Posts
    • 995 Thanks
    kahunababy
    Hello All

I am fairly pleased with myself upto now, I managed to stay out of the supermarket all last week and when it came to Friday and time for us to do our weekly shop I decided that we had plenty in the freezer to be getting on with so never bothered

I did have to pop out last night but only for some f&v and as the weather was horendous I just nipped to my local MrT's. I thought I done fairly well too. I came away £17.99 lighter but for that I got a fair bit (mainly fruit for all our packed lunches). i also managed to bag my first real whopsie barginSome lovely mature chedder reduced from £2.89 to 62p! That is in the freezer now waiting for Christmas.

On sat I took out a frozen chicken for sunday lunch but come sunday none of us where really in the mood for a big meal (we had all been ill last week and still not fully recovered) so the chicken got roasted then cooled and divided up into meal size portions. We had chicken wraps for lunch today, we are having homemade chicken pot noodles (really just chicken chow mein but served in a cup, the kids like it) tomorrow night and we should have enough left over for a chicken fried rice later in the week. The legs and wings will also be used for packed lunches through the week! I will make this chicken stretch

Well I have waffled on for long enough so off to update my sig, TTFN X
    Just little old me!
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 9th Nov 10, 11:54 AM
    • 3,346 Posts
    • 34,469 Thanks
    XSpender
    Aiming for my 3rd NSD today. We have run out of low fat spread but I am going to wait until tomorrow when I will need to get milk for the parents visit. I will get some value butter I use for bread making/baking out of the fridge tonight to soften overnight to use for toast/sanwiches in the morning.

Swapped my old kitchen fridge freezer over for the one from the garage that is in better nick and I could really see when I swapped the contents over how much we have eaten out of it in the last few weeks. Might make some room for the Christmas stuff at this rate
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

129Posts Today

2,420Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @IsabelHardman: This is really good. For all the stuff about noisy rows over the past few days, it?s worth remembering that a lot of abu?

• This is why I wrote the guide to financial abuse. It's tough to know when it's happening to you. It's also worth? https://t.co/XGI2sI7hOU

• RT @David_Challen: Really happy @MartinSLewis is raising awareness of economic/financial abuse. My mother cleaned her cousins home for poc?

• Follow Martin