Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • Noozan
    • 21st Mar 05, 2:46 PM
    • 21st Mar 05, 2:46 PM
    I make it at home using ketchup, white vinegar, sugar, ginger, pineapple and bit of pineapple juice and cornflour. Just put it all into small saucepan and stir over heat until thickened. In the restaurant it's a different matter and we simmer the base for the sauce for about 4 hours!
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
    • Tony H
    • By Tony H 21st Mar 05, 2:48 PM
    • 2,515 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    Tony H
    • 21st Mar 05, 2:48 PM
    • 21st Mar 05, 2:48 PM
    Your missing 1. Daddies Sauce & 2. Worcestershire Sauce. :rolleyes:
  • archived user
    • 21st Mar 05, 3:20 PM
    • 21st Mar 05, 3:20 PM
    I hope you realize i am drooling, and its too early for tea.
    • tiff
    • By tiff 21st Mar 05, 3:25 PM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    • 21st Mar 05, 3:25 PM
    • 21st Mar 05, 3:25 PM
    This is the one I use, I'm sure there are lots of variations.

1/2 cup water
    1/4 cup water
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 cup pineapple juice (from tin)
    20 ounces canned pineapple chunks in juice
    1/3 cup vinegar
    2 tbsps cornflour
    1 tbsp soy sauce
    sliced green pepper
    1 onion chopped
    1lb pork/chicken

combine all the ingredients apart from the pepper, onion and meat in a pan and heat until slightly thickened. Cook meat in oil and soften onion and pepper, add cooked sauce to meat and also add pineapple chunks.
    A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went. - Dave Ramsey
  • mink35
    • 21st Mar 05, 8:44 PM
    • 21st Mar 05, 8:44 PM
    Thanks peeps! Sweet n sour chicken was luvverly!

Now... what can I do with white wine cos we got about 10 bottles? tee hee I don't like the taste of it so it has to be something cooked.
    Mink
  • halloweenqueen
    • 22nd Mar 05, 7:47 AM
    • 22nd Mar 05, 7:47 AM
    I'd really like to make the sweet and sour sauce that you get with the chicken balls from the chinese takeaway, I don't mind how long it takes me to cook to get that takeaway taste! Can anyone help? Theres just that hint of ginger in it mmmn...breakfast!!!
  • Galtizz
    • 22nd Mar 05, 8:36 AM
    • 22nd Mar 05, 8:36 AM
    A recipe for sweet and sour chicken is 1 can of coke and 2 tblsp tomato ketchup.

When it has been cooked in the oven with the chicken it looks a lot like the sauce you get from the chinese and it actually tastes quite nice. Rather than marinating and cooking chicken in it you could try just simmering the ingredients on the hob then pouring over HM chicken balls, try adding a pinch of ginger to make it a bit gingery
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 22nd Mar 05, 9:57 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 22nd Mar 05, 9:57 AM
    • 22nd Mar 05, 9:57 AM
    A recipe for sweet and sour chicken is 1 can of coke and 2 tblsp tomato ketchup.
    by Galtizz
    Always one to try anything, I just gave this a whirl to test it out

I had about a can's worth of flat coke sitting in a bottle (been there since xmas I think ) so stuck it in a pan with the tomato ketchup (also added a tsp of vinegar as it tasted rather sweet when I tested it) and boiled it for around 5-10 mins till it reduced by half and thickened slightly. Results ... not bad

It certainly compares favourably with the sauce you get with chicken balls and i think it would work well poured over spare ribs and cooked in the oven till it goes sticky

Now I've got a pan of sweet n sour sauce and nothing to use it with LOL! :rolleyes:
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Galtizz
    LMAO, thanks for the taste test Curry Queen

Could you put it in the freezer and build it into next weeks meal plan, just need to get the ribs or the chicken then. Or mix it with some lentils (cause I bet you've got a bag of them in the back of the cupboard somewhere) and cook then serve it on some rice. I have no idea how this would taste as I never know what to do with lentils and tend to just use them to bulk out bolognese. But the idea looks nice in my head

It's making me hungry now, might have to have this on Friday (HM take away night) instead of the pizza I had planned as everything will keep til next week.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 22nd Mar 05, 10:48 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    I have got some lentils in the cupboard (how did you know that LOL!) but I've also remembered I've got a rack of ribs in the freezer (also since before xmas) so I've stuck the sauce in the fridge to use on the ribs tomorrow when they've defrosted

I hadn't actually got anything in particular planned for dinner tomorrow, as I'm trying to empty the freezer a bit so I can add some more HM ready meals, so it's worked out pretty well. Thankyou
    ~

• Noozan
    I'd really like to make the sweet and sour sauce that you get with the chicken balls from the chinese takeaway, I don't mind how long it takes me to cook to get that takeaway taste! Can anyone help? Theres just that hint of ginger in it mmmn...breakfast!!!
    by halloweenqueen
    The recipe varies from each place but to do ours....

(Not sure of quantities so scale it down as you see fit)

Big pot with 20 litres of vinegar and 5 bags of sugar. This gets simmered for several hours with all the trimmings from red and green peppers, ends of lemons and oranges, apple peelings and about a 1lb of root ginger - unpeeled and given a good bashing to release juice. Powdered food colouring is also added at this point*. It then gets left to cool and is stored in a big vat for a minimum of two weeks before use. During this time, any juice from tins of pineapple is added to it. When it's needed, it gets heated to boiling point and cornflour solution is added to thicken and bits of pineapple and pepper added at this point too.

*About a year ago, we tried to cut out food colouring on this sauce, the BBQ sauce, spare ribs and roast pork but so many people complained that the it didn't taste "right", we ended up having to use it again. I think it's psychology thing and it's a shame as it really doesn't taste any different!
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
  • halloweenqueen
    Thanks for that Noozan, is it white vinegar or the brown stuff? I have to add red colouring when i make char sui pork or it doesn't look right! Do you strain it after the storing of it as the takeaway stuff is always smooth?
  • Noozan
    Thanks for that Noozan, is it white vinegar or the brown stuff? I have to add red colouring when i make char sui pork or it doesn't look right! Do you strain it after the storing of it as the takeaway stuff is always smooth?
    by halloweenqueen
    We use distilled white vinegar - I'm sure I've seen it in 5 litre bottles in the fruit shop. It's strained before it gets reheated for thickening (sorry, forgot to mention that in first post!), but any vinegar mix not needed for immediate use is kept with the bits in it steeping.
  • halloweenqueen
    Thanks Noozan, will scale it down a bit or I won't have a pan big enough, can you have too many veg trimmings in or the more the merrier!?
  • halloweenqueen
    While I'm on a roll - whats the secret to the chicken ball batter/recipe - mine are never 'quite right'
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 22nd Mar 05, 1:59 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    For those struggling with the math, I've worked it out to make approx a pint of sauce

1 bottle sarsons white vinegar (568ml)
    125g sugar
    10g root ginger

plus trimmings etc ...

HTH

BTW, thanks for posting that Noozan

Edit: for anyone following this recipe and using my scaled down ingredients above please remember that you also need to add pineapple juice to sweeten it as well as adding the trimmings. Apologies for not making that clear beforehand
    Last edited by Curry_Queen; 07-09-2005 at 7:26 PM.
    ~

• Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 22nd Mar 05, 2:01 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    While I'm on a roll - whats the secret to the chicken ball batter/recipe - mine are never 'quite right'
    by halloweenqueen
    I think it's cornflour, egg white and soy sauce ... called velveting ... but I'm sure Noozan will either confirm or give us a different recipe
    ~

• Noozan
    Thanks Noozan, will scale it down a bit or I won't have a pan big enough, can you have too many veg trimmings in or the more the merrier!?
    by halloweenqueen
    The more the merrier!

by halloweenqueen
    If you want the batter for regular balls - Self raising flour, bicarbonate of soda, very cold water, mixed to double cream type consistency, add splash of oil, mix again, leave for about an hour before using. Use very hot and very fresh oil to deep fry.

For the "Hong Kong Style" batter - dip meat in egg, cornflour, egg, cornflour and fry. You can also do egg, cornflour, egg, cornflour, egg for a slightly different finish (This also doesn't make the oil so messy)

For those struggling with the math, I've worked it out to make approx a pint of sauce

1 bottle sarsons white vinegar (568ml)
    125g sugar
    10g root ginger

plus trimmings etc ...

HTH

BTW, thanks for posting that Noozan
    by Curry_Queen
    Thanks for scaling it down Curry Queen! Don't forget to dilute the vinegar solution with juice or it will be very sour!

*Noozan runs away and hides from the wrath of takeaway owners for divulging "trade" recipes!*
  • halloweenqueen
    Many Thanks for the trade secrets Noozan!! I'm sure theres a kitchen I can hide you in somewhere!! Thanks curry queen for the scaling down!
    I'm going to make some sauce at the weekend hopefully so in a couple of weeks time I can sweet and sour overdose!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

705Posts Today

7,022Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter Poll: Being honest, do you take into account the environment impact when you choose to book a flight?

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Do you need to show your boarding pass at the airport? And how to make 'em pay you for doing it... https://t.co/g5biFxotXF

• Follow Martin