Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Oct 10, 5:36 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    November 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Oct 10, 5:36 PM
    November 2010 Grocery Challenge 25th Oct 10 at 5:36 PM
    Hello everyone!

Welcome to the eleventh Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your October budget, then keep on posting in the October 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great Moneysaving Month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-10-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Page 23
    • Spiggle
    • By Spiggle 5th Nov 10, 5:43 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 14,202 Thanks
    Spiggle
    Me again,

I just sorted out my inbox (doesn't it fill up quickly!) and was about to delete the email that I got the pumpkin soup recipe from earlier and there was another one on the email. Now I can't tell you what it's like (I don't eat nuts - "yet another thing the picky c*w won't eat!" I can hear across the UK ) but I think the soup recipe mentions the following at the bottom of the recipe. So for anyone who wants to try them here is the recipe courtesy of Dobies of Devon (just so I don't breech copyright! ):

Walnut Sables: perfect to serve with soup instead of bread. Take equal quantities of plain white flour, butter and grated Cheddar cheese (aprox 125gms of each). Season the flour with salt and pepper. Rub the butter into the seasoned flour, then add the grated cheese and mix to a smooth paste with the yolk of an egg if the mixture will not bind. Roll out on a floured surface, cut into triangles and place well-spaced on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking parchment. Brush with beaten egg and grate walnuts liberally over the surface. Bake for around 20 minutes at gas mark 4, (Omit walnuts if allergy to nuts might be a problem).

Actually, now I've read it and seen I can leave out the nuts I may well give that a try as it looks quite scrummy! Could be really nice to take with me to work to have at lunchtime with my hm soup.

Ok peeps, I've been at the computer all day getting the cheapest home insurance I can find so my eyes are going squiggly. I think I'll go boggle them some more with the telly.

Have a great Friday evening, enjoy any fireworks and bonfires you may be having but do stay safe.

Speak with you all tomorrow.

Take care,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 5th Nov 10, 5:48 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Cauliflower 'rice'
    Thank you thank you thank you to the person who suggested the cauliflower 'rice' substitute - it was delish! My DH said "Is this a new type of rice?" and didn't guess it was cauliflower! I thought it tasted really nice and not too "cauliflowery" IYSWIM! Another weapon in my low-carb battery (DH has lost over a stone since 1st July on our high protein low carb regime and has not found it difficult to stick to it).

Sorry not strictly GC I know, but had to share!

Moniker
    • Billie-jo
    • By Billie-jo 5th Nov 10, 6:20 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 15,892 Thanks
    Billie-jo
    Have been to T£sco twice to get some of the 3for2 flour but not been succesful, also went to c00p for the t. rolls which were bogof and no luck with these either.

Have spent £29.47 in T£sco plus £17 in the butchers on 3 lots of skirt beef for stews etc which is cut up and in the freezer. Our butcher sells out of this very quickly so brought it while he had some

Will need a few things tomorrow and will try again for the T. rolls as stocks are getting low. Been given two more large bags of apples which will have to be frozen over the next few days - good job managed to defrost freezer recently else they wouldnt have gone in.

Am wondering about getting a large rib of beef this year for x**s instead of the usual turkey but have'nt decided yet. There will be 8 of us at the least but may be more. ..................Decisions Decisions
    Last edited by Billie-jo; 05-11-2010 at 6:24 PM.
    [COLOR="Purple"][B] MARCH £62.38/250 [B][COLOR="Purple"]
    • niksyg
    • By niksyg 5th Nov 10, 6:44 PM
    • 675 Posts
    • 3,566 Thanks
    niksyg
    Evening!

Had to pop to coop this eve to get a quick fix tea and spent £6.73 on some chicken goujons, mini sausages and mini pizzas and some chocolate to act as a morale boost for OH as he is off training with the RM sleeping out in the cold and wet so thought it was money well spent to cheer him up!
    Looking at it now, I didn't get a huge amount for my money but it was for a good cause......

Doing a proper shop tomorrow but only after a thorough inspection of cupboards etc and will only buy the bare minimum.
    Clearing debt to save for a simple wedding.
    Starting 2016 With debt of £7700
  • welshkaz
    had a mrA delivery£76 and spent £6 in fruit coop so not too bad for a farily big shop....£82/£300.
    may groc challenge £167/£280...
  • wssla00
    Hi all a NSD for me. I have just cooked some sausages so may have a little sandwich later. Just been sorting out presents for christmas today so not feeling ready for dinner yet. May have some later though.

Have a good day all
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • katholicos
    Hi all, not an NSD for me today. The fence got damaged and had to go DIY to look for something to repair it with...on the way back from my fruitless visit to the DIY store i popped into a couple of other shops and spent..... money...argh!!!But not on groceries!
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • Diflower
    OK, so we do now have the MrT flour
    Oh was a hero and was home early enough to call in when he went to collect his boys for the wkend. All ready to get just 3 bags and try it or go to customer services, but lo and behold today it was all labelled

Anyway, obviously a spend, plus needed loo rolls and he got loads, I've no idea if he did the right thing but it was A'ex 2x9 for £7.
    I've also bothered bagging up 3 lots of white+w/meal+granary flour mix for the next 3 loaves, so it's nice knowing that's ready.

Tonight was quite pleased as last time his boys were here we made Jamie's sausage ragu, and saved what we thought was 2 portions in the freezer.
    Today I got it out, added the 3 small chunks of pork left over from the last 2 nights' chilli, some tomato puree, a handful of red lentils (which I cooked first), and a splash of red wine, then the remains of a carton of single cream. It easily fed the 4 of us with pasta

Tomorrow Oh and boys are making us all lamb doner kebabs from 'The Takeaway secret' so am looking forward to that.

Moniker re the cauliflower, you can also grate it plus grated celeriac and use it as a a sort of Asian stir-fry rice with ginger & garlic. And mash it on its own or mixed with potato or celeriac.

• elf06
    • By elf06 6th Nov 10, 7:19 AM
    • 1,498 Posts
    • 15,140 Thanks
    elf06
    Right all could I please have some advice. I placed an order with BBFL on Thursday (I think) and it came to £18.93 but contains enough stuff to last me months!!! Do I declare the £18.93 for Nov or do I work out what I am likely to use this month and just include that?? Not sure if that makes sense
    Emma

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
    • toddles*
    • By toddles* 6th Nov 10, 7:47 AM
    • 360 Posts
    • 2,653 Thanks
    toddles*
    Right all could I please have some advice. I placed an order with BBFL on Thursday (I think) and it came to £18.93 but contains enough stuff to last me months!!! Do I declare the £18.93 for Nov or do I work out what I am likely to use this month and just include that?? Not sure if that makes sense
    Originally posted by elf06
    I dont think there are any major rules, just whatever works for you as long as you stick to the same principles each month. I do actual spend rather than consumption. So I would include the whole £18.93 for this month. It works best for me but not for everyone.
    HTH
    Happy days
    • elf06
    • By elf06 6th Nov 10, 8:08 AM
    • 1,498 Posts
    • 15,140 Thanks
    elf06
    Thanks Toddles - I just dont know what to do. Normally I would count it towards Nov as its actual cash leaving my hands (or bank) but then I think that had it not been on offer and a good price then I wouldnt have bought nearly as much. I am getting 20 tins of beans for £1 (for example) and there is no way I would normally buy this amount in one month..........................

Oh decisions decisions. For now I think I will count it as this month and then think it through some more
    Emma

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
    • Spiggle
    • By Spiggle 6th Nov 10, 8:34 AM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 14,202 Thanks
    Spiggle
    Hi elf06,

I normally put all purchases made in a month through on that month's account. However, in September I bought bulk supplies of clothes wash that would last a good long time so I did spread the cost of it across Sept, Oct and Nov. As it is I was right to do that as there are two bottles still untouched!

Hope that helps,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013
  • Picklepud
    Morning All

another no spend day for me yesterday that makes 2 this month which is great for me, and hoping for another 2 today and tomorrow as have meals planned, this site has really made me think about what I am buying.

I mentioned earlier about ribs I got whoopsied well i put them in the sc with 2 bags of whoopsied 10p butternut squash/sweet potato mix. and when we got back in from the fireworks/ resisted the hot dogs from the fair the where all lovely, meat falling of the bones and all the flavour into the veg yummy!

Have a good day all
    x
    Determined to do better
  • underthestairs
    Afternoon everyone.

Well had a spending day and now hopefully got all bits I need until next weekend which should only be fuit & veg.

Mr M - £23.15, Market - £10.03 & Butchers - £17.02 (the only place I buy my meat from) inc my tray of eggs £2.60 and they are free range, I checked

UTS.
    • cookie9
    • By cookie9 6th Nov 10, 12:08 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 3,709 Thanks
    cookie9
    Not too bad £35.22 in Mr T and M+S for the half priced chicken. Did get a few 3 for 2 offers etc so hoping not to have to buy too much later. Parents gave us some treat money so got 2 bottles of wine but not including that.
    MFW 91 op 2014 £410/1000
    MFW 91 op 2015 £4051/4000
    MFW 91 op 2016 £4040/4000
    MFW 91 op 2017 £812/4500
    • Sunnyday
    • By Sunnyday 6th Nov 10, 12:15 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 34,008 Thanks
    Sunnyday
    Hi peeps

just popped in and updated my siggy, i`ve had a spend this morning in MrM of £28.18 and i spent £5 in the pound shop a couple of days ago.

When DH gets home i should have another receipt from earlier in the week when he was in town and managed to get two of the half price chickens from M&S, they are huge and i`m sure that we will get 8 meals from each and then soup too so a really good buy. I got teabags and sugar from the pound shop and a huge box of oxo`s.

So far we are on track this month and i`ve included all the extra wine making bits and bobs too

I have a voucher to get a composter for £5 from a local place so DH has gone to fetch that - hope that they`ve some left. If the GC falls below this month then i`ll add that too as its an unbudgeted for extra but it will easily pay for itself in the future.

This month i had included an extra £10 to buy the Christmas turkey but there is no way on this planet that i`ll get even the smallest one in the freezer (i`ve just had to sit on the lid on the one upstairs to get it to close) so i`ll put that to one side and we can get it next month. I don`t normally buy a whole bird and was planning on getting one of the rolled breast joints from MrM but they seem quite expensive so i may end up with a bird after all. Not too sure yet but there`s plenty of time to make up my mind.

For those like me who overstock from time to time if there`s anything left at the end of the month then i`ll deduct it from that and carry the rest onto the next month so that i don`t go overbudget.

There have been exceptions to that but if i`m under budget by £5 and the extra spend was £10 i`ll put £5 onto the current week to come in bang on target and add a spend of the other £5 to the next month when it starts.

I`m off to alter the meal planner as i seem to have lots of ingredients to make a huge vat of chilli which isn`t on next weeks meal planner but soon will be

Happy shopping peeps

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon
  • Diflower
    Hi all, went to MrT again this morning as I worked out what other baking stuff to stock up on. Pleased to say I didn't even go to any aisles not on the list (just got a paper and a lettuce as intended).
    So, now have 3 lots of dried fruit, choc chips, all sorts.
    Plus those little bags of apricots which are just right to add to cereal bars or a tagine.
    Oh and discovered preserves are also 3 for 2 - and it includes marmite, which is a lovely treat as I'd stopped buying it once it was over £1.50 a jar.
    Sig updated. OH & boys are in the kitchen making the lamb doner kebab, salad & sauce for dinner

And now I have to be good and carry on with the writing challenge - doing ok so far, 8495 words down, 41,505 to go!

Ps, re buying extra as for the baking stuff. I'm putting it all in the spend for this month, in the hope that other months will benefit!
    Last edited by Diflower; 06-11-2010 at 1:12 PM. Reason: ps

• niksyg
    • By niksyg 6th Nov 10, 1:42 PM
    • 675 Posts
    • 3,566 Thanks
    niksyg
    Afternoon all!

Have been shopping this morning and spent £14.93 in Ald! and £6.18 in the butcher. This should definitely do us for the week, except I'll probably get some bread from Mr M's one evening after work when it's hopefully reduced.

Bonus today - got some free food! OH's mum (who I have issues with usually) is being quite nice to me at the moment and gave me 2 tins of baked beans, 2 tins of plum tomatoes and a tin of spaghetti when I popped in to see her earlier to pick up some of OH's stuff that she had borrowed.
    Lucky me!! Off to upate sig, catch you all later!
    Clearing debt to save for a simple wedding.
    Starting 2016 With debt of £7700
    • mswan
    • By mswan 6th Nov 10, 2:02 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 4,188 Thanks
    mswan
    Updated sig spent £56.23 OMG never going to make budget
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 6th Nov 10, 2:08 PM
    • 16,732 Posts
    • 143,363 Thanks
    JackieO
    Took my DGS to a bowling party this morning in Chatham and even walked around the shops while he was at his party but never spent a bean.Went back to the bowling place and read my book and drank the drink i had brought with me so yet another NSD for me .I honestly never saw anything that I was remotely tempted to buy this morning I think I have 'gone off' shopping,apart from essentials.
    keep up the good work chums we are almost one week through November already
    JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,083Posts Today

6,524Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin