Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Oct 10, 5:36 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    November 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Oct 10, 5:36 PM
    November 2010 Grocery Challenge 25th Oct 10 at 5:36 PM
    Hello everyone!

Welcome to the eleventh Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your October budget, then keep on posting in the October 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great Moneysaving Month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-10-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Page 22
    • sharronej
    • By sharronej 5th Nov 10, 10:19 AM
    • 563 Posts
    • 4,784 Thanks
    sharronej
    well, I've totally blown my 'try and get by on ten or fifteen pounds this week' After an order to BBFL for £42.00, a £15 spend at the greengrocers and a £20 spend in MrT takes me to £77 But sometimes these offers really are too good to miss and I have ordered some food towards Christmas so don't feel too bad
    • Craftyscholar
    • By Craftyscholar 5th Nov 10, 11:31 AM
    • 3,389 Posts
    • 62,310 Thanks
    Craftyscholar
    MrS yesterday - £15 Would be nice to think that was my main shop for the month, but unlikely.

• Spiggle
    • By Spiggle 5th Nov 10, 11:51 AM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 14,202 Thanks
    Spiggle
    Excuse the shouting all but

Hippeechiq where are you? Are you OK?
    Mortgage Free October 2013
    • skilly
    • By skilly 5th Nov 10, 12:06 PM
    • 882 Posts
    • 10,225 Thanks
    skilly
    Hi all, spent £24.59 in mr a's on only things that i needed.been useing things up from my freezers i seem to take one thing out and put 2 or 3 things back in .is just me that has this problem ? .
    27 Sealed pot challenge 3£496/4£706.75/5 £376.74/6 £645.08/ 7 £861.34 /8 £786.90/9£610.49/10 £722.03 / 11? / gold star from sue
  • missfit
    Afternoon. Went to various supermarkets last night and spent just over £24. No bargains to be had :-( so just got some essentials and some items that will last in to next week. Hopefully I won't need to visit the supermarket next weekend. Have a good one!
  • karmachilovething
    been useing things up from my freezers i seem to take one thing out and put 2 or 3 things back in .is just me that has this problem ? .
    Originally posted by skilly
    I know exactly what you mean skilly. I was making some space in there and then made italian ham and chickpea stew on Tuesday so now it's pretty full again!

Still no spend to declare, but may try to fit in a trip to the farmers market Saturday morning so we shall see.
    Total debt: £9473.62 £7,384.87 22% PAID
    TAF #25 NSD 8/12 | Food £43.45/£50 | eBay 0/20 | Exercise 5/18
    Proud to be Dealing with my Debt
    DFD: June 2015
    • Mollina Girl
    • By Mollina Girl 5th Nov 10, 12:56 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 7,301 Thanks
    Mollina Girl
    been useing things up from my freezers i seem to take one thing out and put 2 or 3 things back in .is just me that has this problem ? .
    I have that same problem skilly but I'm really trying hard this month. I've had 2 NSD's so far and don't think I need anything for a few more days yet

x
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 5th Nov 10, 3:13 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Evening all.

I am about to embark on a 395 no spend challenge and full details can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=38170080#post38170080 if you would like to follow my progress.

I know this isn't grocery challenge related but Im sharing it because its also my aim from hereon in that I will only buy stuff from the supermarket if its on my list and if it forms part of my meal plan. no more spends just because the item is on offer ! I want to make savings wherever possible and the grocery challenge is certainly one I can make inroads.
    Originally posted by Flat Eric
    Flat Eric I know where you're coming from. When I started this challenge I decided that I would only buy BOGOFs etc if I was prepared to put the savings away. So, Leeks £1-99 BOGOF meant £1-99 goes in my savings jar. I made sure I did this with real money so my purse was lighter! After a while I was able to resist the offers I really didn't need/couldn't use and the savings were useful for treats! So I now only buy BOGOFs and offers if I really need the stuff and I am able/prepared to put the physical cash in my savings jar. Well, it worked for me!

Have had a busy day - made a pastry case for a lemon meringue pie (Sunday treat as MIL and SIL are coming to lunch), cooked a big batch of bolognese sauce in the slow cooker and have made a huge lasagne which is for tomorrow's dinner (half for the freezer), and have prepped the veg for tonight's prawn provencal - basically prawns in white wine and tomato and mushroom sauce. This is usually served with rice but in an effort to cut the carbs I am going to try the 'cauliflower rice' that someone suggested (sorry I have forgotton who). Have resisted the urge to eat a scone and had an apple in stead so I am feeling quite virtuous! AND it's a NSD for me!

Have a good evening everyone. TGIF!

Moniker
    • boultdj
    • By boultdj 5th Nov 10, 3:23 PM
    • 4,505 Posts
    • 33,130 Thanks
    boultdj
    Wel spent another $37.74 yesterday,but that did include 3 tin's of chocolate's which are xmas pressie's.
  • Shysarah
    Agghhh I am going to have to stop buying a few 'bits' when I take my mum shopping.

Took her to Mr M this afternoon and spent £27.10!!!!!!

£12 went on catfood as it was on offer and I needed some which is good. I also got some coffee and then a free eco refill, some couscous which I had run out of, some squash for hospital to save me spending stupid money in hospital shop and some other bits and bobs.

Now going to dig through my fridge and veggie racks and have a good sort out. Need to utilise all the whoospie bits and veggies so I will not end up wasting anything while in hospital.

Ok off to update sig and then kick myself for spending more..

S x
    GC 2011
    Jan £43.45/£40.00 Feb £55.14/£55.00 Mar £64.88/£120
    I MUST KEEP POSITIVE!!
    Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted (John Lennon)

• Spiggle
    • By Spiggle 5th Nov 10, 3:48 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 14,202 Thanks
    Spiggle
    Did my big weekly shop at MrT's last night, took longer than normal due to all the price checking but I did very well sticking to my list, and even with all the freezer stuff (restocking after defrosting it last week) I only spent £59.81 - v impressed with myself as usual weekly spend is £50ish.

I did splash out 35p on a pumpkin reduced from £1.99 in the aftermath of Halloween! Ok they were only about 75p before Halloween but it's still cheap. Any suggestions what to do with it??

I found a lovely looking recipe for pumpkin & almond cake but it needs 200g of ground almonds which are stupidly expensive at £1 for 100g That would rather counteract the saving LOL.
    Originally posted by slbhill
    Hi slbhill,

I don't know if this is the sort of thing you were looking for but just got this in an email from Dobies of devon.

Pumpkin soup

chop two small onions or shallots and sweat in 60 gms butter. Add 4 tablespoons of water and 500gms of pumpkin or squash, cut into large chunks with seeds and peel removed. Cover and cook until the pumpkin flesh almost disintegrates. Mash it and add 1 pt beef or chicken stock and plenty of freshly ground black pepper and salt. The soup should be thick and smooth and can be liquidized if desired. Add a little cream or crème fraiche just before serving and reheat. Serve with crusty bread or walnut sables.
    HTH,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013
    • hex2
    • By hex2 5th Nov 10, 3:58 PM
    • 4,722 Posts
    • 80,174 Thanks
    hex2
    Veg box and a trip to aldi/lidl today has taken me up to £36.87. Milk and banana saving funds the fuel compared to buying in the village co-op. 5lb baking pots at 0.59p are a bonus - some nice varieties, not just tasteless estima.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • rosieben
    Spigs - thanks, pumpkin soup is now in the index

I sent you a pm
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • Chloris
    • By Chloris 5th Nov 10, 4:15 PM
    • 659 Posts
    • 9,479 Thanks
    Chloris
    When into town today so spend of £6.60 on milk, bread and a very nice nut roast as a special meal when my mum visits in a few weeks. Not strictly GC but I found being in the shops drove me nuts and it took me quite a while to settle myself when I got back. Is it just me or do other people find looking for gifts so soul-destroying? There is what people need and then there is all this useless 'tinsel' that we are compelled to buy. I must be feeling very Bah Humbug as I feel like writing cards saying 'This year I have donated your gift to charity.' Anyway I came home huffed and puffed and then did some theraputic soup making!

Thanks Spigs, I think I need to find a good butcher but I hate going into town.
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 5th Nov 10, 4:57 PM
    • 4,842 Posts
    • 58,667 Thanks
    sistercas
    NSD today thats number 3
    had chicken for tea (whoopsied at sainsbugs) sprouts and a jacket potato twas delish
    DD has made some millies cookies so thats for pud
    • waddy80
    • By waddy80 5th Nov 10, 5:04 PM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 3,554 Thanks
    waddy80
    Well i didn't get any whoopsies so another NSD for me!

One thing struck me whilst getting tea ready. I have really got to watch portion sizes! We've had chilli tonight, which was one of my batch cooked meals from the freezer. I took out a container of sauce which should have been 2 portions, but when I served up there was really enough for 3. I had also overcooked rice so there is enough for a quick ready meal for lunch tomorrow.
    Money, money, money, must be funny....in a rich mans world.

• cw18
    • By cw18 5th Nov 10, 5:16 PM
    • 8,081 Posts
    • 86,080 Thanks
    cw18
    I can assure you - hand on heart - that it's not just you that has the problem

I swear that when I win the lottery I'm going to buy a house with a walk-in freezer the size of my (not small) kitchen
    Cheryl
    • mummygems
    • By mummygems 5th Nov 10, 5:17 PM
    • 345 Posts
    • 4,032 Thanks
    mummygems
    Well i didn't get any whoopsies so another NSD for me!

One thing struck me whilst getting tea ready. I have really got to watch portion sizes! We've had chilli tonight, which was one of my batch cooked meals from the freezer. I took out a container of sauce which should have been 2 portions, but when I served up there was really enough for 3. I had also overcooked rice so there is enough for a quick ready meal for lunch tomorrow.
    Originally posted by waddy80
    I find this a problem too. I usually find I do too much pasta or not enough pasta lol. I have tried the usual 70g per person but then find I am starving later in the evening so raid the cupboards!

I dont usually realise I have dont too much until I am dishing it up. Now I take some off the plates and have for lunch the next day or dinner later in the week.
    2 adults and 3 children DD (13), DD (11) & DS (8) and 2 mental beagles
  • xnatalie81x
    Imagine my suprise, when i pop out to recover the purple sprouting broccoli and check on it, to find 2 cauliflowers lol. I know i planted some in June/July time but completely forgot and planted them in as broccoli.

So, we had half a giant cauli with our chicken, bacon and mushroom pie and the rest has been frozen! Seeds were 100 for 49p and even with compost etc must be a maximum of 5p each.

Still eeking out that final drop of milk and mum n sis have gone to mr t and have asked for milk if they have any (2for#2 i hope) - not done badly as i went shopping on Sun and they had run out so have watered that milk i had down to within an inch of it's life and it has lasted another week with no real effects

Chicken curry for dinner tomorrow with perfect rice made in my rice cooker
    DFW since JAN 2009 - 2014 will be the year i finally clear debts Just to see which month )))

One adult + 4 children + dog
    • cw18
    • By cw18 5th Nov 10, 5:21 PM
    • 8,081 Posts
    • 86,080 Thanks
    cw18
    Bah Humbug as I feel like writing cards saying 'This year I have donated your gift to charity.'
    Originally posted by Chloris
    A few years back I did pretty much that by 'buying' gifts from Oxf@m. Each family member got a card with a picture of what I'd bought, and the school desks, school dinners, chickens, midwife training, teacher training, blankets, plants and radios all went where they were needed.

The same year my parents bought 'me' a goat the same way - took me weeks to convince them this was what I wanted for Christmas as I really didn't need anything for myself.
    Last edited by cw18; 05-11-2010 at 5:31 PM.
    Cheryl
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

843Posts Today

6,704Users online

Martin's Twitter