Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Oct 10, 5:36 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    November 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Oct 10, 5:36 PM
    November 2010 Grocery Challenge 25th Oct 10 at 5:36 PM
    Hello everyone!

Welcome to the eleventh Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your October budget, then keep on posting in the October 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great Moneysaving Month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-10-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Page 19
    • TizerCat
    • By TizerCat 4th Nov 10, 8:45 AM
    • 473 Posts
    • 1,903 Thanks
    TizerCat
    Am not sure if this a good spend or I've been a bit rash but I caved to the advertisers power on Big Brands for Less and now have losts of Beans peas and flour arriveing aswell as a few things to cheer up the xmas meal planning. Total £25.57 of which £10.50 was delivery!! not sure I worked that right?

Have double checked against the products I would of bought other wise and I have made a saving but not nearly as much as they claim on the website as I wouldn't have bought brand names.

So Have spent £48.40 on groceries so far this month but some of it should last me for a couple of months.....
    Also found the 'Feed a family for less than £100 a month' or '80p pppd' link and am going to incorporate this into my planning. Have got lots of other stuff to use up too so can't do it completely yet...which should work out cheaper ?
    Last edited by TizerCat; 04-11-2010 at 8:47 AM. Reason: had to to check signature for GC£
    Debt at LBM 27 Sept 2010 £40,640.17 Debt now £1700 on one credit card 0% and £4,000 on an Ikea kitchen 0%

Make £10 a day in Oct £235.88/£260 NSD's in OCT 1/15
    • jintyb
    • By jintyb 4th Nov 10, 8:46 AM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 17,926 Thanks
    jintyb
    Have been to Mr T and got stocked up for the week.
    Very pleased with myself as I stuck to my list, so under budget. Its amazing how a limited amount of money focusses the mind

Im having a leftover dinner tonight - pasta bake with HM bolognaise sauce which was leftover and frozen,
    bread and butter pud with some bread thats a bit stale but ok.
    I have some sausages Im going to cook and make into some pasta sauce - I saw the recipe on here I think, just need to find it ! I'll use it for lunches next week.

Other than that I'm just taking it easy today, just going to run round with the hoover and then get on with my knitting.

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
    • NickJW
    • By NickJW 4th Nov 10, 8:53 AM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    £2 spent today in Mr S for lunch items for the next 2 days. Updated signature.

Minor rant here, but whenever I pay with cash at Mr S they presume that I don't want a receipt. I ALWAYS have to ask for it, because I like to keep my receipts to keep track of my spends for here, and also my Nectar points. I go here all the time, to the same cashiers so they should know by now. Is this just my Mr S, or every Mr S?
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 £46.05/£130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011
  • katholicos
    I made the homemade cereal bars last night - yummy!
    Originally posted by curlybap
    Could you please print the recipe if you have it handy? I've done a quick read through of recent posts and may well have missed it or a link to it. Thanks muchly!

Nick, I don't often shop in MR S but have only had that happen a few times, it is especially annoying though as I like to check my nectar points...i know i can check it on the nectar website but i can never remember my log in details because i go on it so rarely!
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
    • Skint_Catt
    • By Skint_Catt 4th Nov 10, 9:24 AM
    • 11,431 Posts
    • 23,689 Thanks
    Skint_Catt
    £8 yesterday on completely un-needed stuff - really must stop going to the supermarket in my lunch hour just because I'm bored
    (It's Mr S I go to at lunch (or Mr C) and I always use the self-service tills as you always get your receipt )
    C xx
    • Purpleclutterbuck
    • By Purpleclutterbuck 4th Nov 10, 9:33 AM
    • 440 Posts
    • 5,210 Thanks
    Purpleclutterbuck
    Hiya -just knowing that you lot are out there makes me more focused -thanks everyone
    PLEASE INCLUDE PURPLECLUTTERBUCK FOR £265 IN NOVEMBER -THANKYOU
    I've started a few days of "lets raid the fridge and make some weird concoctions" before I go and start shopping again
    mmmm......looks like lots of homemade soups and cheese on toasts, omlettes (how do you spell that?) and banana loaves and bread and butter puddings -not as desperate as I thought
    Good luck everyone and omg I just found a small gammon joint at the back of the fridge and an in date carbonara sauce -things are looking positvely wonderful for a change - keep up the good work and keep your receipts!!!
    Last edited by Purpleclutterbuck; 04-11-2010 at 9:35 AM. Reason: decided to lower amount- fingers crossed
    May you fill up the great clutterbucket of life and may all of your leaks be in cheese sauce
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
    • sharronej
    • By sharronej 4th Nov 10, 9:35 AM
    • 563 Posts
    • 4,784 Thanks
    sharronej
    UPDATE

Breakfasts are - toast (using the crusts i have left after making 2 weeks' worth of lunch sandwiches on Sunday - 4 loaves bread), porridge or weetabix.
    Originally posted by xnatalie81x
    I;ve just read this and thought 'how on earth is she going to toast the crust edges of the slices of bread - of course you mean the end crusts of the loaf
    • NickJW
    • By NickJW 4th Nov 10, 9:35 AM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    I wish mine had the self service tills...
    I can't face the embarrassment of using my debit card for spends of a couple of pounds but maybe I just just do that to get the receipts...

It could also be that they don't like us to keep a track of what we spend, so we just continue to spend willy-nilly
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 £46.05/£130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011
  • wssla00
    NickJW- I wouldn't worry about it. I once got a letter asking politely from the bank that I stop putting small amounts of money on my debit card as it costs them more to process than the amount was...... Quite a weird letter really I should have kept it

Anyway another NSD for me today. I do however need to go out and get my prescription so will need to do that at some point today.

Oh also- Just wanted to say, if you have really fussy cats and they will only eat gourmet perle or as good as it looks (like mine...) then try them on the tesco pouches in gravy. My cats can't seem to get enough of them and they are only about £2.60 a box of 12. It has saved me a pretty penny this month!

Have a good day all
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 4th Nov 10, 9:58 AM
    • 4,312 Posts
    • 9,438 Thanks
    Linda32
    Hiya,

I'm trying for £375 this month,
    Month will start 29th October and finish 26th November

Previous total: £64.19
    Bargin Booze £14.50
    New Total £78.69

I would like to come in at £75.00 per week to be on target, so £3.69 over budget this week, not so bad, as then box of wine will still be there when I start next weeks budget tomorrow.
    • Skint_Catt
    • By Skint_Catt 4th Nov 10, 10:00 AM
    • 11,431 Posts
    • 23,689 Thanks
    Skint_Catt
    I regularly use my debit card for tiny amounts as there's never a cashpoint working/handy! I'd tell my bank to use their huge profits to pay for the processing fee - they're the ones that no longer let you get £5 out of a hole in the wall and refuse to renew chequebooks.
  • curlybap
    Hi Katholicos

Here's the recipe for Honey Crunch Bars:

Makes 12
    Takes 40 minutes to make, plus cooling

Ingredients

• 150g light muscovado sugar
    • 100g olive oil spread
    • 50g clear honey
    • 150g high-fibre cereal
    • 50g mixed dried fruit, chopped
    • 1 tbsp golden linseed

1. Preheat the oven to 180C/ fan160C/gas 4. Grease the base and sides of a 18cm square x 2.5cm deep tin. Press the paper into the tin to line it.

2. Put the sugar, olive oil spread and honey into a large bowl and microwave on medium for 2 minutes. The mixture will be very hot, so take great care when removing the bowl. Stir well.
    3. Stir the cereals and fruit into the sugar mixture. Spoon into the tin and flatten with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle the linseed on. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Cool in the tin for at least 30 minutes.
    4. Cut into 12 bars. Wrap each one in baking paper and store in an airtight tin.

Recipe for Marshmallow Crunch Bars:

Makes 36
    Ingredients

• 350g mini marshmallows
    • 170g vegetable shortening or oil ( I only used a knob of butter!)
    • ½ tsp salt
    • 150g rice or corn cereal (rice, puffed cocoa crisps, or fruit crisps) (I'm going to add a few more next time as they were still a bit sticky)
    • 2 tsp vanilla extract
    • 200g sweets of your choice (M&M's are good!)

Method: How to make marshmallow crunchy bar cut-outs

1. In a large pot over low heat, melt the butter, marshmallows, and salt. Stir in the cereal and the vanilla, making sure to coat each piece of cereal. Stir in candy pieces.
    2. Line a baking sheet with waxed paper. Spread rice mixture onto waxed paper to the edges of the pan. Coat your hands with cooking spray and push down the mixture into an even, flat rectangle. Cool to room temperature.
    3. Spray selected cookie cutters (like stars or teddy bears) with cooking oil and firmly cut out shapes from cooled cereal mixture. Remove with a spatula and place on a waxed paper–lined baking sheet. Decorate with frosting, melted chocolate, additional sweets, or biscuits sprinkles.

Enjoy
    Grocery Challenge Nov £288.12/£250
    Weekly Spend Challenge: 7Nov £23.30/£30 14Nov EEK!/£70 21Nov £0/£30

• JackieO
    • By JackieO 4th Nov 10, 10:27 AM
    • 16,927 Posts
    • 144,929 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good morning all you lovely frugal folk .well I have just got back from doing my 'big' shop for the month.I had managed to get quite a few whoopsies as well so I am really pleased meatwise, all reduced at 9.00 a.m. this morning I got
    6 pork chops = £2.50
    free range organic chicken = £.3.34 weighs about 3.5lb
    4 organic lamb rump steaks =£2.79
    1 fairly large piece of organic rib-eye steak =2.38
    1 butter basted organic turkey breast =£1.25
    1 good sized piece of best organic sirloin steak £1.91
    250gms lean lamb stewing steak plus a kidney = £2.00
    total 17.51 but should have been £32.17 so I have more than enough meat for me for the rest of the month.
    I also managed to buy some fair trade bananas reduced at 5 for 40p
    All told I have spent £33.75 out of my budget and have enough fruit and veg for around 10 days and nothing to buy for at least that time as well. I am really pleased at my trip this morning.I have just wrapped and frozen most of the stuff .I also had a result with a packet of thin sliced ham as for some reason it had been reduced to £1.34 from £2.00 but the sell by date is the 26th November so its probably been priced by mistake I bought two big packs of multi seeded wraps in Sainbobs at £1.00 a pack they are on special offer .So lunches will be my favourite, a wrap spread with mayo and a little grated cheese and some of the thin sliced ham and covered with chopped lettuce,sliced cucumber,tomato and chopped pepper and rolled up.Very filling and fairly healthy as well. I have frozen half of the sliced ham for next week and the wraps freeze beautifully as well. I think they are usually around £1.70 a pack so at a £1.00 a pack I have saved even more. All in all a very fruitfull morning .This afternoon I am peeling some apples I have been given and with some 'free' blackberries from the freezer I am going to make a crumble for puddings,it should last me several days.
    Washing is blowing away on the line at the moment I'm hoping that it will be dry by this afternoon and I'll get it ironed tonight.Feeling very organised today for some reason
    I hope everyone else has a good day,
    Cheers chums
    JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 4th Nov 10, 10:52 AM
    • 16,927 Posts
    • 144,929 Thanks
    JackieO
    I;ve just read this and thought 'how on earth is she going to toast the crust edges of the slices of bread - of course you mean the end crusts of the loaf
    Originally posted by sharronej
    when we were kids we always called this 'the outside ' errr because it was 'outside I suppose I still use them up as its part of the loaf
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 4th Nov 10, 10:53 AM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Morning everyone - have just got back from my regular weekly shop at Sainsbugs and despite forgetting to take my list (duh!) I actually stucK to it apart from two courgettes and some mushrooms which were on offer. Feeling ok about totals as will only need a small top up in the week before next big shop. Aiming to keep food shopping days to two a week max!

Going into work later so better get on with cooking our lunch. will catch up with you all later.

Moniker
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 4th Nov 10, 11:01 AM
    • 4,842 Posts
    • 58,667 Thanks
    sistercas
    back from weekly shop t3sco have overcharged me for a pack of br@nston beans so i will have to trail back to get a refund

managed to get some whoopsied meat from $ainsbugs free range chicken for £3.34, 4 pork chops for £2.19 and some posh beef burgers for £1.50
    also picked t3scos buy 1 get 2 free offers, br@nston beans , c@thedral city cheese and h3inz chopped tomatoes , so my cupboards are bursting

spent £78 in total much more than i had anticipated but shouldnt need to go for anything else except bread and fresh greens for the guinea pigs
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 4th Nov 10, 11:03 AM
    • 4,842 Posts
    • 58,667 Thanks
    sistercas
    when we were kids we always called this 'the outside ' errr because it was 'outside I suppose I still use them up as its part of the loaf
    Originally posted by JackieO
    crusts are my favourite part of a loaf especially toasted with butter and jam
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 4th Nov 10, 11:38 AM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    Originally posted by JackieO
    We always called it the "heel" of the bread!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • Diflower
    I've been a bit pushed for time at the moment but wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the help and motivation this thread gives.

Some simple things had never really occurred to me, like looking for more alternatives to packet ham etc for sandwiches. I have often bought bacon joints etc, but had never thought of buying raw turkey or chicken just to cook for sandwiches, I don't know why!

I was really cross this morning, I had the car for a couple of hours and went to MrT with a list of bread flour and other baking bits and pieces as it's 3 for 2 - except it wasn't. Nothing at all in the whole section. I went to customer services, he called the dept manager, the manager came - except he was the bakery manager not the grocery one. Having been there about 15 mins, frozen food in my bags, and needed to get the car back, I couldn't wait any longer.

Phoned when I got home and got nowhere! They said 'maybe' the offers were online only. It doesn't say that on the website, and I was sure other people had bought them instore. Really useless and vague, 'not all shops have all offers'. I asked how were we to know where the offers are, according to website it's 1-23rd November...she said I should call the shop and speak to customer services
    OH kindly called in at another big branch but they haven't got any of the flour on offer either.

Rant over. Updated sig, 1st spends (at least I got the cheese BOG2F).

Ps, partly pushed for time as I'm doing a thing called NaNoWriMo which is a challenge to write the draft of a novel, 50,000 words in November. I'm using the idea of OS and budgeting for inspiration

• skilly
    • By skilly 4th Nov 10, 1:01 PM
    • 882 Posts
    • 10,225 Thanks
    skilly
    I've been a bit pushed for time at the moment but wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the help and motivation this thread gives.

Some simple things had never really occurred to me, like looking for more alternatives to packet ham etc for sandwiches. I have often bought bacon joints etc, but had never thought of buying raw turkey or chicken just to cook for sandwiches, I don't know why!

I was really cross this morning, I had the car for a couple of hours and went to MrT with a list of bread flour and other baking bits and pieces as it's 3 for 2 - except it wasn't. Nothing at all in the whole section. I went to customer services, he called the dept manager, the manager came - except he was the bakery manager not the grocery one. Having been there about 15 mins, frozen food in my bags, and needed to get the car back, I couldn't wait any longer.

Phoned when I got home and got nowhere! They said 'maybe' the offers were online only. It doesn't say that on the website, and I was sure other people had bought them instore. Really useless and vague, 'not all shops have all offers'. I asked how were we to know where the offers are, according to website it's 1-23rd November...she said I should call the shop and speak to customer services
    OH kindly called in at another big branch but they haven't got any of the flour on offer either.

Rant over. Updated sig, 1st spends (at least I got the cheese BOG2F).

Ps, partly pushed for time as I'm doing a thing called NaNoWriMo which is a challenge to write the draft of a novel, 50,000 words in November. I'm using the idea of OS and budgeting for inspiration
    Originally posted by Diflower
    DILFLOWER i have been a to mr t's a few times when they have there adds on tv only to find there is nothing in store its not very good when you make a round trip of 20 miles for me .
    27 Sealed pot challenge 3£496/4£706.75/5 £376.74/6 £645.08/ 7 £861.34 /8 £786.90/9£610.49/10 £722.03 / 11? / gold star from sue
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,292Posts Today

7,848Users online

Martin's Twitter