Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Oct 10, 5:36 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    November 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Oct 10, 5:36 PM
    November 2010 Grocery Challenge 25th Oct 10 at 5:36 PM
    Hello everyone!

Welcome to the eleventh Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your October budget, then keep on posting in the October 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great Moneysaving Month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-10-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Page 11
    • greent
    • By greent 1st Nov 10, 10:01 AM
    • 8,189 Posts
    • 83,195 Thanks
    greent
    oh seriously!! i was hoping for something like that .... do you have a recipe... dont want much to I
    Originally posted by Picklepud
    lol! I'm a throw-it-in person for rice pudding, but the recipe on page 1 of this thread (under desserts etc) should work fine. Personally I don't add nutmeg - I splosh in vanilla essence or scrapings from a vanilla pod
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £3757/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £513.64/£500
  • moonpixiewitch
    Have amended my sig to reflect the weekend's spending , been to Mr M coz I had a £5 voucher that expired Saturday. Stocked up on tinned tomatoes, and brisket of beef (cheaper than Mr W by £2 per kg) and pork shoulder joints were on special so grabbed one of those too ! Also bought some xmas alcohol - 1 bottle dark rum .
    Went to Mr n*tt* and although I was on the whole very dissapointed with the "offers" I did pick up a packs of 12 j2* with 12 free for £5.78 - so 25p per bottle so put them up for xmas as they are mums and daughters favorite .
    Then went to Mr m&s to find the much talked about white chocolate baileys type drink - reputed to be £2.49 a bottle , they had none and are not getting any either , but I did find a reduced free range whole duck for £8 which I was very pleased with
    hubby went to mr s and picked up 2 bags of frozen chicken leg portions (for his extra protein fix at work).
    Also went to Ald* on sunday to get cat food , mince beef and some veggies and washing up liquid and bought 2 litres of vodka . vodka was then split between 3 empty bottles/jars, put a vanilla pod (I had 10 in the cupboard and they do mean you use less sugar) in each , then added damsons and sugar to one, strawberries and sugar to another , and butterscotch sweets to the final one - I can't wait till xmas now!
    We resisted the urge to go to the local farmers market this weekend as we need the freezer space for the last whole lamb this friday !
    Started my own business and loving being my own boss
    march gc 144/230
  • RacheB
    Hi everyone
    My first grocery challenge. I have no idea how much we spend but I reckon I must spend about 140 a month. So I'm going for a total of 560 this month. I'm going to keep my receipts and try to choose some cheaper brands to try. Also see how many NSV days I can get

thanks
    Rache

xx
    • Chloris
    • By Chloris 1st Nov 10, 10:20 AM
    • 659 Posts
    • 9,479 Thanks
    Chloris
    Updated signature. We have spent a lot of our budget already, but I have included catering DD's birthday party (25 children!), which was Saturday. It has been chaos in this house so I am behind with reading the thread. Hope everyone is fine and dandy.
    • elf06
    • By elf06 1st Nov 10, 10:47 AM
    • 1,498 Posts
    • 15,140 Thanks
    elf06
    Ok so I had my first spend of the month today and I am rather annoyed with myself!! Went for pittas, cheese, pasta shells and milk and spent £10.29 and didnt even get the pasta

Will update my sig and will try to post more often this month!!
    Emma

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
    • LannyLee
    • By LannyLee 1st Nov 10, 10:53 AM
    • 184 Posts
    • 2,958 Thanks
    LannyLee
    Have updated signature for £10 spent in M&S for their 3 for £10 meat offer & also £8.95 for our R1verford veg box that will be delivered tmw.

So incl some milk prob on Wednesday that shoulc be me done for this wee. - famous last words!

Also re: meat I usually buy from M&S or MrM's as they sell only British beef, pork, lamb & chicken, and they tend to have lots of promotions & in the case of Mr M reductions. HTH
  • sveika
    Wow, such a wonderful forum!

I'm pretty new here and not sure how to start the challenge. Can I just try to put an target of £100 for November?

Heading off to Tesco later this afternoon though...
    • greent
    • By greent 1st Nov 10, 11:40 AM
    • 8,189 Posts
    • 83,195 Thanks
    greent
    Afternoon all! Have updated my signature with this morning's spends in A!d - wraps, f&v, a couple of jars of pasta sauce for DS1 and a pack of pain au chocolate for the weekend.

Freezer is bursting - I have taken some grated courgette, some runner beans, chicken stock and some tomatoes out of it this morning and made soup. Had whoopsied lamb shanks from it yesterday (slow cooked in tomatoes with onion, swede & carrots and some balsamic vinegar and red wine - yum) - need to find space for the leftovers of that and a whoopsied (small) loaf also bought in a!di - but can't!! Argh!!

We were away last week, staying in a lovely apartment in Edinburgh (for about £10/night more than 1 room in a travelodge) for the 6 of us. There were loads of supplies left there by previous tenants - several brands of coffee, 2 brands of filter coffee, 2 types of tea bags, hot choc, spices, oil, vinegar etc - about 18 eggs, 2 chicken breasts (frozen), 2 tubs butter, salad veg, juice, soft drinks, biscuits, ice cream, pizza bases and more (inc all cleaning supplies)!! Needless to say I brought our supplies of tea/ coffee back, along with anything else that we didn't use (I froze a lot of it in foil and brought it all back wrapped together and it stayed frozen)

ETA: just found my milkandmore order on the bench outside the front door - not sure when it arrived - but it wasn't there at 10.30 (milk is delivered v late here!!) - need to add 4p to my sig for my order: 4 pts milk, 2 sml packs country life spreadable, pack of back bacon and box of jacobs cheese biscuits ~(xmas) Not bad for 4p!!
    Last edited by greent; 01-11-2010 at 1:43 PM.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £3757/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £513.64/£500
    • jintyb
    • By jintyb 1st Nov 10, 12:00 PM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 17,926 Thanks
    jintyb
    Morning

Thanks for adding me to the list!!

I have listed everything in my cupboards and freezer and will be able to make some menu plans which will hopefully cut down on my spend for the month. I seem to have about 6 pints of milk too much any ideas how i can use it up? i have risotto rice and white rice but no pudding rice.....

Thanks
    You can freeze milk if you have room.

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
    • jintyb
    • By jintyb 1st Nov 10, 12:02 PM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 17,926 Thanks
    jintyb
    We were away last week, staying in a lovely apartment in Edinburgh (for about £10/night more than 1 room in a travelodge) for the 6 of us. There were loads of supplies left there by previous tenants - several brands of coffee, 2 brands of filter coffee, 2 types of tea bags, hot choc, spices, oil, vinegar etc - about 18 eggs, 2 chicken breasts (frozen), 2 tubs butter, salad veg, juice, soft drinks, biscuits, ice cream, pizza bases and more (inc all cleaning supplies)!! Needless to say I brought our supplies of tea/ coffee back, along with anything else that we didn't use (I froze a lot of it in foil and brought it all back wrapped together and it stayed frozen)
    Originally posted by greent
    Glad you enjoyed Edinburgh Greent, did you see me waving?

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
  • xnatalie81x
    My first time joining the challenge (but have been frugal shopping for looooong time) can I go in for 160 for the month - pregnant me, 6.5yr old, 4.5 yr old, 2yr9mth old all food and drink.

Already done mthly shop based on monthl meal plan and top-up shops planned. Will post more details when home x
    DFW since JAN 2009 - 2014 will be the year i finally clear debts Just to see which month )))

One adult + 4 children + dog
  • ~moneysavingnovice~
    £1.10 spend on juice today as forgot to bring mine from home duh!

Have already made the shopping list for next Fri (obsessed much?! lol) and we really shouldn't need much at all so hoping to do it for £40ish, or even less.
    Mortgage£148,725 Student loan£13,050 HSBC loan£12,221
    AprGC:£/£320
    • mummygems
    • By mummygems 1st Nov 10, 12:56 PM
    • 345 Posts
    • 4,032 Thanks
    mummygems

I seem to have about 6 pints of milk too much any ideas how i can use it up? i have risotto rice and white rice but no pudding rice.....

Thanks
    Do you have any macaroni pasta?

My mum always used to make "milk pudding" which was macaroni pasta, sugar, butter and milk topped with nutmeg and slowly cooked in the oven for a few hours. One of my favourite winter puddings.

Whether this would work with other pasta I dont know as have ever tried but I would assume that if Macaroni is like another pasta it might work.

Otherwise use it for smoothies if you have any fruit laying around.
    2 adults and 3 children DD (13), DD (11) & DS (8) and 2 mental beagles
  • wssla00
    Afternoon all garlic chicken sandwiches for dinner tonight with wedges but I must go up to the shops at some point to get a load of veg. I am absolutely running on empty since the garden is slowing down and I have used all of my own potatoes Oh well..... it's the cheapy stuff I'm needing anyway so it's not too bad.

Then going to make up some pasties with the left over chicken and the cold gammon I have in the fridge. Plus some mushrooms and some creme fraiche and stock sauce. They will do for lunches over the next few days.

I am also planning on making some fools for deserts. Yummy!

I have got back into eating porridge and it is lovely definitely a good cheap breaky!

Have a good day all
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • hitatotatus
    First shop for this month £64 at MrA. Made leek and potato soup, added some stock made last month. Made lamb kofta kebab for tonight's dinner (DS1 favourite) sneaked in some chopped up cooked spinach into the mix. Will make rice to go with and plain yoghurt.

Trying to reduce monthly bill by not buying juice, will stick to plain water, milk and Actimel (the only milk DS2 will drink, so necessary spend for me, he drinks about 5 a day ) and a bottle of cheapy lemonade for me .

My fish man just called round - haven't had anything from him for a few weeks now, so got some salmon and haddock - some for tomorrow, some for the freezer - £17.
    Last edited by hitatotatus; 01-11-2010 at 2:38 PM.
    £2012 in 2012 = £34.44
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 1st Nov 10, 2:28 PM
    • 3,406 Posts
    • 34,882 Thanks
    XSpender
    Just back from Mr S. Spent £6.21 on 10 apples, 6 bananas, 3kg dishwasher salt and a quarter of liquroice comfits! When did apples get so expensive or is that I notice the individual prices more when I only buy a few things?
    October Grocery Challenge - £122.00/£220
    • boultdj
    • By boultdj 1st Nov 10, 2:46 PM
    • 4,505 Posts
    • 33,130 Thanks
    boultdj
    Spent $18.21 in Mr.S,used a $6 off a $30spend coupon and OH gave me the money for the clothes he wanted from there.
    • Want_to_be_free
    • By Want_to_be_free 1st Nov 10, 2:48 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 977 Thanks
    Want_to_be_free
    I just made something very simple for dinner tonight- so yummy , so simple and so cheap. That is why I am going to share it with you.

All you need is;

* 2 table sooponfull sugar
    * 1 table spoon dry yeast
    * One big glass warm water ( Approx 330 mlt)
    * 1/2 kilogram white or brown flour

Mix sugar, yeast and warm water in a big glass and wait for 15 minutes. then slowly mix it with flour , texture needs to to feel like your ear blob. Then cover it with wet cloth and leave it additional 30 minutes.

You can use this as a pizza base but my mum showed me something else.

Cut one onion to samll cubes and slowly cook it with little oil. Get some cheese about 100 or 150 gr maximum- white feta type of cheese works best but if you are using feta you only need half of the amount- Grate the cheese, mix with cooked onions when they are cold, don't cook the cheese also add some herbs , I always add mint.

Go back to your dough, cut into small pieces , you must at least have 20 piece. Put some of the cheese mix to every piece of dough, it will be inside when you shape it in your hand . does not matter what shape, dough should cover the cheese that is it.

Finally fry your dough , bona pettit.

This is lovely with salads or next to soup
    Don't forget smiling
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 1st Nov 10, 3:05 PM
    • 4,842 Posts
    • 58,667 Thanks
    sistercas
    well my November challenge starts here, and i'm not off to a good one ,been away for a few days so did a knee jerk reaction shop today as opposed to checking my s*permarket for the best offers and buying whats on offer .oh well . Ive spent £81.62, that includes brandy for my xmas cake and some cider that the DD 's have suddenly fallen in love with

not even sure there is enough for the week
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 1st Nov 10, 3:20 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    Trying very hard to have a NSD today. Only trouble is that DD works in Boots and it's double discount today and tomorrow which effectively means that anything made by Boots is half price - I am thinking of getting loads of toilet rolls, ST's and the like and I have also made a list of Christmas presents because you get the discount on top of the 3 for 2. Anyway I have a list which comes to £106 for Christmas presents (but that is all presents except for 2 DD's and my best friend). I will do a list of household stuff later.

Picklepud - I second greent that risotto rice is nicer than pudding rice in rice pudding.

Catznine - what is "Big Brands"? Is it like approved foods?

Tea tonight is the first meal from my half price turkey bought at the weekend. We are having it with Carrot and parsnip mash, roast potatoes and cauliflower, with stuffing and gravy. I found an old (BBE Jan10) sachet of Dream Topping in the cupboard and have made it up and put it on top of some sugar free jellies with fruit cocktail in them for afters.

Made some flapjacks earlier and have wrapped them individually in foil and frozen them (otherwise there would be none left by this evening!) for lunchboxes.

Hope you all had a good weekend! We have loads of Haribo which DD2 got when out trick or treating - we all don't like it so don't know what to do with it!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

576Posts Today

5,798Users online

Martin's Twitter