Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Oct 10, 5:36 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    November 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Oct 10, 5:36 PM
    November 2010 Grocery Challenge 25th Oct 10 at 5:36 PM
    Hello everyone!

Welcome to the eleventh Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your October budget, then keep on posting in the October 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great Moneysaving Month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-10-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Page 9
    • jintyb
    • By jintyb 31st Oct 10, 8:36 AM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 17,926 Thanks
    jintyb
    Talking about store cupboards - just been rootling around in mine and found two cake mixes lurking. Not only were they whoopsies but they were also BBF 07/2009. Well, in true MSE fashion I cooked them up and I now have a batch of butterfly cakes ready to be iced and a batch of oat and raisin cookies of which I've just scoffed two for my breakfast ( naughty). Guess what - I'm still alive!!

The reason for the rootle was that I'm going to bake my Christmas cake tomorrow and I need to soak my dried fruit. Its in a big bowl with brandy and smells divine!
    Have decided Im going to make my own mincemeat at the weekend as I have all the ingredients except a couple of apples and suet and I aint paying 2 for one jar. I like to make my own mince pies!

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
    • toddles*
    • By toddles* 31st Oct 10, 9:02 AM
    • 360 Posts
    • 2,653 Thanks
    toddles*
    Please put me down for 275. I have spent far far too much in October need to reign it back in.
    But I did win 400 on a scratch card so it made up for it.And I have bought 95% of my xmas presents.
    Happy days
  • KITTY
    300 again for November please

I finally added up October which came to 243 and a few pence. I'm really pleased with that. November may be harder to stick to though.

I will try to post this month. I've been a bit slack lately as having internet problems.

Good luck all

Merry Christmas
    • pepsi-kins
    • By pepsi-kins 31st Oct 10, 9:38 AM
    • 94 Posts
    • 1,984 Thanks
    pepsi-kins
    Hi,
    Sorry to be a pain MRSMCAWBER but you've put me down for the wrong amount its 165 (I would make the font bigger, but i can't figure that out - i'm a bit useless when it comes to computers)

Thanks x
    2018 G/C 2951.61/2250
    Vouchers used 553.23
    Extra money 250
    2019 G/C 1543.86
    Vouchers: 138.40
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Hi,
    Sorry to be a pain MRSMCAWBER but you've put me down for the wrong amount its 165 (I would make the font bigger, but i can't figure that out - i'm a bit useless when it comes to computers)

Thanks x
    Originally posted by pepsi-kins
    Sorry and you to Jamie.. guess who can't read her own writting -I will go and alter it
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • *Mari*
    • By *Mari* 31st Oct 10, 10:50 AM
    • 465 Posts
    • 4,345 Thanks
    *Mari*
    Hi can I join in for November please? I havn't taken part in a GC for quite a while and really need to tighten things up!!

Can you put me down for 325 please.

Thanks
    • hex2
    • By hex2 31st Oct 10, 11:07 AM
    • 4,722 Posts
    • 80,174 Thanks
    hex2
    Thanks everyone for the thread and support. Can you put Hex2 down for 400 for November please.
    Thanks

I went hugely over in October, to the degree that I actually stopped counting . Reaction to DH finally having a secure new job after months of worry I think. I hated getting down to the last half price chicken!
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
    • cw18
    • By cw18 31st Oct 10, 11:19 AM
    • 8,051 Posts
    • 86,000 Thanks
    cw18
    Many thanks to all who are involved in the running of these challenge threads - and also to everyone else who posts, as this keeps the motivation and ideas flowing

Please can I be put down for an 81 budget for November

This is for food and drinks for just me.
    And while it's a huuuuge increase on previous months, I'm still not convinced I'm going to be able to keep within it -- this having to eat more in order to stop losing weight is taking some getting used to
    Cheryl
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Just done an order at Mr S and I sometimes use frozen veg for stews, chillies, curry, soup etc and noticed they have their basics 1kg mixed veg at 36p a bag.

HTH someone.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL 200/4 WEEKS
    • cw18
    • By cw18 31st Oct 10, 12:08 PM
    • 8,051 Posts
    • 86,000 Thanks
    cw18
    Mr T also have a bag of mixed frozen veg for 36p - I swapped to using that for most meals (instead of peas and sweetcorn) a few weeks ago, which is saving me quite a bit on the veg side of my budget even though I'm using a lot more each meal
    Cheryl
    • hostie
    • By hostie 31st Oct 10, 3:26 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 857 Thanks
    hostie
    I would like to join please could you put me down for 120 for November.

• Moniker
    • By Moniker 31st Oct 10, 3:31 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    I have found Aldi absolutely wonderful for cheap good quality chicken and fish , not to mention all their other lovely cheap veggies
    I buy eggs in bulk by the tray from a local producer (works out at 1.50 per dozen).

Waitrose is our most local supermarket and they sell OX cheeks - lovely made as a madras curry in the slow cooker ! and pigs cheeks which are so lean and tender if cooked in the slow cooker

oh and i almost forgot - missing rice ? cauliflower rice makes a wonderful replacement - using the grater blade on food processor "grate" the cauliflower , then place in a microwaveproof dish , cover and ping for 8 mins .
    Originally posted by moonpixiewitch
    Unfortunately I live in a small village and our nearest Aldi is 15 miles away. However, the grated cauliflower rice recipe sounds good. Do you add any water? If so how much? We have a leek and cauliflower puree recipe which we love and which is a good substitiute for mash potatoes - you couldn't use it to top a shepherd's pie but at the side of the plate it's ok! I think I have posted this recipe already. I will check this list at the beginning and if it's not here post it again.

Cheers

Moniker
    Last edited by Moniker; 31-10-2010 at 4:05 PM.
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 31st Oct 10, 4:13 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Leek and Cauliflower Puree
    I can't find this in the list at the beginning of the thread so here it is again:

Serves 2-3

half a med calliflower broken into florets
    2-3 med leeks, washed and cut into slices
    salt
    black pepper
    good pinch of nutmeg
    1oz butter
    2-3 tbps single cream

Steam the leeks and cauliflower for about 10 mins until tender. Drain and place in a bowl with the butter and seasoning. Use a stick blender to puree and then add the cream. Check seasoning. Serve with roast meat, or with fish - it seems to go with everything. You can keep in the fridge for a day or two and reheat in microwave or freeze on the day you make it. It separates a bit on defrosting but stir it and its as good as new. It is seriously yummy! My OH loves it and doesn't miss the potatoes if he has this!

Enjoy

Moniker
    • agiaga
    • By agiaga 31st Oct 10, 4:16 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    agiaga
    I've been reading GC threads for a long time. Now I'd like to join for the first time.
    Please put me in for 120.00, 19.86 already spent. I really hope I can manage
    mortgage started 31st May 2011 -59200
    mortgage overpayment started July 2011
  • adelight
    2.50 on a reduced beef joint- it was irresistable!
    I'm going to market tomorrow on my break at work to pick up some cheap veg for the week. I will NOT go over this month!
    Living cheap in central London
    • amber03
    • By amber03 31st Oct 10, 4:18 PM
    • 838 Posts
    • 5,139 Thanks
    amber03
    Just spent another 5 at mr t thats the problem with working there, your always tempted but not back in work till wednesday so hopefully a couple of NSD's ahead.

When i started reading these boards i am sure i saw a thread for money saving tips. ie, breaking a dishwasher tablet in two and the same with wipes that sort of thing, but i cannot remember what the thread was, does anybody else remember seeing this or was i daydreaming.
    Debtfree and and staying that way.
    1000 Emergency fund No.112 572.00
    • hex2
    • By hex2 31st Oct 10, 5:01 PM
    • 4,722 Posts
    • 80,174 Thanks
    hex2
    When i started reading these boards i am sure i saw a thread for money saving tips. ie, breaking a dishwasher tablet in two and the same with wipes that sort of thing, but i cannot remember what the thread was, does anybody else remember seeing this or was i daydreaming.
    Originally posted by amber03
    Try this and there is a link to the original thread in the first post

We had cauliflower cheese with Sunday Lunch at DHs request but I had no cheddar. Rather than spend yet more money and trot to the Co-op we had it with stilton, which was outstandingly good.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 31st Oct 10, 5:12 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    Well done for getting so much for so little, and the stuffed BNS sounds delicious, will have to try that sometime, do you eat the flesh of the BNS or just the filling?

Sue.
    Originally posted by Sue14
    I usually wash it well and then eat it - it ges lovely and crispy and is nice IMO!

I went to the local Tesco little shop today and got a tub of haribo for the trick or treaters for 5 and while I was there I impulse bought some light up balloons (they have a little led light in them) for 3.50 - they are totally rubbish and you can't tell that they are light up so I am going to take them back later - I don't like taking stuff back but 3.50 is 3.50!

Made mini hamburgers and had them in baguette with salad for lunch and am just making chicken hash (diced chicken thighs, cooked with diced onion, bacon and potatoes until it is lovely and crispy) with cabbage for dinner. I spent ages doing my meal plan last night and I figured out that I should be doing the meal plan BEFORE I go shopping as I had bought some stuff which I really didn't need and which may not last until next week. I froze some stuff and incorporated the rest but will defo do the mea lplan before I shop next week.

The thing I find most expensive is meat - I find our local butchers really expensive compared to the supermarket but sometimes the supermarket meat isn't nice. There is a farmers market but the meat there is really really expensive. Where do you all get your meat from? Also what kind of stuff do you buy? I usually buy pork chops, chicken, braising or stewing steak, mince and diced lamb - I almost never buy steak or anything fancy but I still seem to spend about 15 - 20 a week on meat.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
    • waddy80
    • By waddy80 31st Oct 10, 5:13 PM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 3,554 Thanks
    waddy80
    Well I offically start tomorrow but I've still managed a NSD today. Yesterday was a cheeky chinese, but only cost me 7.50 as split it with my mum! The leftovers have provided tonights tea and went to a relatives house for sunday lunch, DH couldn't come as he was working, but has a dinner waiting in the fridge.

I've got a sainsburys order that is coming on tuesday (got a 12 off 60 coupon), I very rarely shop at Mr S, so is there anything that is particarly cheap there that I should include?
    Money, money, money, must be funny....in a rich mans world.

• Moniker
    • By Moniker 31st Oct 10, 5:22 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Meant to ask earlier if anyone has any recipes/tips for using soya flour? I bought some a while back and used it successfully half and half with plain flour in a crumble but haven't had the courage to try anything else. Have any of you used it for cakes and biscuits or even pastry? It would be good if it does work as it is lower carb than ordinary flour.

As for meat - I usually buy mine in the supermarket but buy FR chicken and outdoor reared pork chops and bacon and English or Scottish beef. I sometimes buy lamb when it is on offer. It is a bit easier for me as there is only the two of us and I don't need a lot - but I don't think it is good value to skimp on the quality of meat. Just my opinion -I would like to buy my meat at a farmer's market or buy organic from the butcher but this would be a step too far for my budget! I suppose the answer is to buy the best you can afford and enjoy it!

Moniker
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,116Posts Today

8,005Users online

Martin's Twitter