Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 25th Oct 10, 3:43 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    • 25th Oct 10, 3:43 PM
    • 25th Oct 10, 3:43 PM
    i used to always have a spare £10 just in case, now tho i'm too poor :P
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• lilian1977
    • By lilian1977 25th Oct 10, 3:54 PM
    • 4,656 Posts
    • 18,375 Thanks
    lilian1977
    • 25th Oct 10, 3:54 PM
    • 25th Oct 10, 3:54 PM
    I don't have it in my wallet but I do have $20, 10 Euros and £5 in my passport just in case my plane ever gets rerouted anywhere weird, or I've forgotten to allow for bus fare home from the airport!

My debt free diary
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
  • Errata
    • 25th Oct 10, 3:58 PM
    • 25th Oct 10, 3:58 PM
    £20 in the car, £20 at the back of my purse, £20 in the blue milk jug in the kitchen. Occasionally the £20 in my purse gets used and replaced but not the other £20's. I suppoe I should check and make sure they're still legal tender
    .....................I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...
    • Gordon the Moron
    • By Gordon the Moron 25th Oct 10, 4:03 PM
    • 1,461 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    Gordon the Moron
    • 25th Oct 10, 4:03 PM
    In my wallet yes I keep an emergency £20 but for convenience I keep it as four fivers rather than a £20 note, then if I need something like a bus fair or to grab something to eat like you mention, firstly I only need to replace a fiver and secondly most buses won't take a £20 note.
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
    • Petaldust
    • By Petaldust 25th Oct 10, 4:03 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    Petaldust
    I keep £10 hidden in my purse. So well hidden I'd actually forgotten it was there until yesterday!
  • leo56
    • 25th Oct 10, 4:04 PM
    • 25th Oct 10, 4:04 PM
    I have a few quid here and a few quid there, you never know when I might need it.
    • Anja
    • By Anja 25th Oct 10, 4:05 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Anja
    • 25th Oct 10, 4:05 PM
    Secret stash
    • 25th Oct 10, 4:05 PM
    I have £1 in a middle pocket in my purse especially for those annoying supermarkets that need a coin for their trolleys!
    • Sharon87
    • By Sharon87 25th Oct 10, 4:13 PM
    • 3,731 Posts
    • 3,147 Thanks
    Sharon87
    • 25th Oct 10, 4:13 PM
    • 25th Oct 10, 4:13 PM
    I've got a secret stash of change at home, but none in my purse. I pretty much rely on my cards for emergency! and in London there's loads of cash machines. But I probably should keep spare money by, especially as there's so many local shops that don't take cards
    • tocsin
    • By tocsin 25th Oct 10, 4:34 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    tocsin
    Yep - used to be a tenner, now £20 in a corner of the wallet. Rationale used to be always have the price of a taxi home...
    • Brydav
    • By Brydav 25th Oct 10, 4:35 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    Brydav
    I don't always carry my wallet so I've got a little water-tight (allegedly - I've never tested it, lol) 'pod' on my keyring that will hold a tightly rolled note. I always have a £5 or £10 in there for emergencies. Occasionally have to use it but always replace it as soon as possible and don't count it when I'm adding up my cash. It's called the Cash Stash if anyone's interested.
    Before I got that, I used to keep a spare note folded up in the back of my mobile phone case.
    • savvy06
    • By savvy06 25th Oct 10, 5:11 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    savvy06
    My Mum "lent" me £10 years ago when I had no money. It stayed in my purse - I "borrowed" it whenever desperate, then paid it back ASAP. because it was mum's not mine!
    • Garetha
    • By Garetha 25th Oct 10, 5:51 PM
    • 939 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Garetha
    I too have a 'secret' £20 in my wallet.
    Also loose change including £1 coins in the car.
    Very useful emergency cash.
  • Edinburghlass
    Wish I had today, I've lost my debit card and tried two credit cards in a shop but got the pin number wrong on both
    • karatemum
    • By karatemum 25th Oct 10, 5:59 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    karatemum
    I used to have a secret stash until I used it one day and couldn't afford to put it back. I will put it back as soon as I have an extra £10. I do have a small stash of coins in the car though for car parking so that has come in handy a couple of times for emergency cash such as when I went swimming and forgot to get the money out first (the pool would have charged me for using my card).
  • Stephen Leak
    Oh, Thank God. I'm not alone.

I always try to keep a £20 note, maybe also a £5 if I get one in change, in that "secret" pocket in the wallet, just in case.

I don't like keeping cash in the car, but I always try to save 2 x £2 coins, a £1 coin and a 50p coin for the coin bins on the Severn Crossing tolls.
    • juno
    • By juno 25th Oct 10, 6:50 PM
    • 6,436 Posts
    • 9,153 Thanks
    juno
    I keep a £5 and 5 £1 coins in my car glove compartment, and random change in my driver's side door compartment. That's mostly pennies though.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt £4578.27 £0.00
    100% paid off

• Meatballs
    • By Meatballs 25th Oct 10, 7:01 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    Meatballs
    I hate having to use cash, especially change! Local bus service now only takes EXACT fare, and good job getting change if you try a 20 pound note on most other services. Car parks are another PITA!

I <3 my credit card. I tend to only get money out if I'm going out drinking, although I'll try to use my card at most places if I'm spending over a fiver and there's no queue.
  • annieredhead
    For some people this could have a knock on effect, a very dear aunt of mine who was hopeless with money passed away recently, and her family found money everywhere, in her coat pockets, glasses case, old handbags etc, it amounted to hundreds of pounds!
  • DeeDeeGy
    hidden money
    I don't have a £20 note but frequently when I get two or three pounds change I drop it into whichever hand bag I have with me. I also carry £10 in a separate compartment whenever me and hubby go out just in case...then I 'forget' it's there. The point is if on the rare occasion I'm almost out of ready cash I can do a quick sweep of bags and come up with a good few quid!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,304Posts Today

5,534Users online

Martin's Twitter