Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • rrainbowdivauk
    • 15th Oct 10, 1:11 PM
    Well Done!
    • 15th Oct 10, 1:11 PM
    Well done for losing weight! You look great on tv by the way lol! I just didn't think men worried about their weight? xxx
  • Lucylastica2
    • 15th Oct 10, 2:45 PM
    There has to be a money saving message as well as health benefits in there somewhere!
    • 15th Oct 10, 2:45 PM
    Hi,

First of all I applaud you on losing and keeping off the weight.

Secondly, both myself and my partner have this week committed to lose weight for the sake of our health (and a trip to NYC next May - which is another good incentive!) but I am sure there is a money saving story to be had here.

I am confident that there are pounds to be saved for every pound lost...consider the cost of convenience food and 'treats' over fresh fruit and veg...maybe a healthier attitude to food will ultimately lead not only to a healthier you, but also a healthier bank balance.

We're more than willing to be guinea pigs to test that theory!
    • Butti
    • By Butti 15th Oct 10, 6:03 PM
    • 4,898 Posts
    • 14,230 Thanks
    Butti
    • 15th Oct 10, 6:03 PM
    • 15th Oct 10, 6:03 PM
    I hope you're not weighing yourself too much Martin. I'd be tempted to judge it more by your clothes than by that number on the scales (but then I am a former borderline anorexic so I do tend to run away from scales)

You always look very presentable.

B
    Debt LBM (08/09) 11,641. (08/12) 22,734. (2/19 )4621
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    Diary 2 'The whimsical tale of the Waterbed of Debt'
    35% 35.4% 36.3% off mortgage
    'one day I will be rich and famousfor now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S MOB
  • stubbo66
    • 15th Oct 10, 6:04 PM
    • 15th Oct 10, 6:04 PM
    I'm in the middle of doing something similar. After last Christmas I was rather shocked to find I put on 20 pounds over the winter and was up to 18 and a half stone. I decided I couldn't go on like that and set about my own plan. But rather than buying into fad diets or group hug sessions, I decided to go the statistical route.

I'm a bit of a geek, and decided all I would use to manage my diet was an excel spread sheet. I basically created a food diary, every day I enter everything I eat, take all the values from the packaging, cals, fat, sugar, salt fibre, protein etc. and then monitored my intake for a couple of weeks.

Having discovered how bad my diet was, I then decided I would set a maximum health value for each category (taking advice from all the health websites and my doctor).

What I did determine early on is that bread is bad, especially the salt content, also anything chocolate or crisps (as you did). But looking around for alternatives revealed some healthier lower fat alternatives that are just as much fun to eat.

Also, I bought a cheap cycling machine for the winter and put in an hour and a half at the weekend in front of the telly (building up over the first few weeks). Once the spring came around I started getting out on my mountain bike (that had been sitting in the garage for the last 5 years). I had a great target here as the British Heart Foundation had a big event local to me, 32 miles around the harbours of Gosport, Portsmouth and Hayling Island and I did this with my teenage son. Later in the year Sky Ride in southampton was a great event and the Orchid Cancer trust also had a ride in the new forest, it helps to have goals.

Now, I'm in week 34, I can still eat anything I want (as long as I don't blow my allowances averaged over a week). In fact I just finished eating Fish and Chips from our local chippy.

So 34 weeks on, I've lost 70 pounds (5 stone) and dropped from XL everything to medium in most all clothing and I'm feeling great. My Asthma no longer bothers me and I have so much energy I can't wait to get out on my bike either on my own or at organised events.

All I needed was the helping hand of an excel spread sheet and a bit of self-motivation, it's amazing what power a little bit of knowledge can impart.

I'm a 44 year old man, now 13.5 stone and everyones amazed at the transformation (though the wife wants me to stop now, I think she liked me having a bit more meat on my bones). I was a 42 inch waste and now it's 37, my shirts were 19 inch neck and now they are 16. This is the only downside of the improvement, the cost of replenishing my wardrobe.

A couple of other things I did to monitor my health, bought a cheap blood pressure monitor to ensure I stay heart healthy, tracked my health on the BHF web site as well, and read lots and lots about BMI and BMR. I also measured various body parts week by week to track the change, waist, neck, stomache, chest, wrist, thigh etc. as these can help to determine lean body mass (as I found out later on).

Key thing was not to become obsessed, if I felt hungry I ate, whatever I fancied, just ensured I moderated my meals over the next few days. Anyone can do it, it just needs a bit of planning, a bit of discipline (no cheating, youre the only one who loses if you do) and you can shift the weight as well.

I'll be out on my bike again this weekend, I try and do 30-35 miles on and off road, but it's great cycling by the sea. Life's good.
    • mini
    • By mini 15th Oct 10, 6:31 PM
    • 820 Posts
    • 1,426 Thanks
    mini
    • 15th Oct 10, 6:31 PM
    • 15th Oct 10, 6:31 PM
    I have never seen you on tv and thought you looked old or/and fat if that helps- even on a big tv!

Well done on your healthier living too
  • StudentFun
    • 16th Oct 10, 7:49 PM
    Good work with your losing of weight.
    • 16th Oct 10, 7:49 PM
    It is always difficult to lose weight so good for you, you lost some pounds and you should always be grateful for any pounds that are shed.
    • runmichellerun
    • By runmichellerun 18th Oct 10, 9:11 AM
    • 849 Posts
    • 2,681 Thanks
    runmichellerun
    • 18th Oct 10, 9:11 AM
    • 18th Oct 10, 9:11 AM
    I thought fruit juice was good for you? i.e. one of your five a day. I drink a glass every morning. Should I not?
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 18th Oct 10, 9:35 AM
    • 8,115 Posts
    • 42,285 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    • 18th Oct 10, 9:35 AM
    • 18th Oct 10, 9:35 AM
    I thought fruit juice was good for you? i.e. one of your five a day. I drink a glass every morning. Should I not?
    Originally posted by runmichellerun
    It is good for you - but often contains enormous amounts of sugar and calories. However 1 glass is good - i used to drink pints of the stuff.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
    • de1amo
    • By de1amo 18th Oct 10, 10:56 AM
    • 3,279 Posts
    • 10,921 Thanks
    de1amo
    well done Martin--i started my dieting and changing my exercise routine from january of this year when i was wearing L clothes--i joined a gym and quickly got to my target weight of 11stone-Medium clothes and i now keep an eye on what i eat but cant seem to work exercise into my daily life because without out the motivation to lose weight i basically stop--the gym membership is still ticking as a monthly payment and i should as money minded person use it as much as possible.--anyone got any words to kick me into action!
    mfw'11 No68- 55k mortgage İO--little to nothing saved! i must do better.
    • camaj
    • By camaj 19th Oct 10, 1:54 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    camaj
    Martin is right, fruit juice is really no better than drinking any other sugary drink. Okay, it's probably slighly better but not by much. In terms of weight-loss you should think about avoiding these drinks. 500ml is typically 200 calories and if you drink a couple of glasses it's probably that much. That would mean you're consuming more than 10% of your calorific intake with one drink, it might be better to avoid the drink and allow yourself a slightly bigger portion of dinner. Eating whole fruit is much better for you, you get all the fibre and nutrients at a fraction of the calories.

I have a similar experience to martin, I saw myself on video and noticed how massive I was! I'd never once thought I was overweight, partially because when your a teenager you're used to getting bigger all the time and you don't notice when you're getting bigger in the wrong way. I'd always been skinny until then but I certainly wasn't concious of that, even when my mum told me I was getting fat I thought she was just winding me up. I had been eating the same as always, I just wasn't exercising as much, or even at all! I got it under control and I've even lost some but I've got a long way to go
    • fluffymuffy
    • By fluffymuffy 19th Oct 10, 12:32 PM
    • 3,100 Posts
    • 5,449 Thanks
    fluffymuffy
    Inspirational as ever, Martin.

Focusing on the calorie content of things is a big eye-opener. OH and I shared a small Xmas pudding with a blob of cream last week. It was the smallest sized one and we felt a bit deprived only getting half each - until I worked out that each bowl contained nearly 500 calories.

It's a coincidence for me to stumble upon this post today as I was just wondering about how I'd get to start running (it's raining so not today). I don't want to set off huffing and puffing past my neighbours houses - it wouldn't be too bad once I'd got out of the local area. There was a study (published last year?) which looked at some older people who ran regularly and compared them with a control group. The big difference was that ten years on all the runners were still alive.
    I am the Cat who walks by herself and all places are alike to me.
    • de1amo
    • By de1amo 19th Oct 10, 12:42 PM
    • 3,279 Posts
    • 10,921 Thanks
    de1amo
    at my age--47--the knees give pain after running so i keep to walking speed on the treadmill but use high gradients to make it worthwhile--how old are the people who are still alive 10 years on??
    mfw'11 No68- 55k mortgage İO--little to nothing saved! i must do better.
    • fluffymuffy
    • By fluffymuffy 19th Oct 10, 8:13 PM
    • 3,100 Posts
    • 5,449 Thanks
    fluffymuffy
    I can't find that report (I'm sure it was a BBC Health News item) but here's one similar, based on twenty years of research on a group of runners who were over 50 when the study started - so in their 70s now. After 20 years only 15% were dead compared with 34% in a non-running control group.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1043646/Keep-running-healthy-old-age-pensioners-told.html
    I am the Cat who walks by herself and all places are alike to me.
    • bleeper999
    • By bleeper999 20th Oct 10, 3:05 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bleeper999
    Losing weight
    If the TV puts on 10 pounds, Martin, the answer is simple ..... only go on the radio and you'll lose weight easily .. about 10 pounds I'd say!
  • Hels50
    A new book?
    Hi Martin,

I found your post inspirational, congratulations! In view of the amount of money spent on the dieting industry, I wonder if you might think of writing a 'Money Saver's Diet' based on the very simple principle that buying and eating less food should cost less money?
    • luvvlyjubbly
    • By luvvlyjubbly 25th Oct 10, 4:21 PM
    • 2,357 Posts
    • 2,649 Thanks
    luvvlyjubbly
    Proof in the pudding (no pun intended) that fad diets don't work, just moderation and exercise is the key.
    Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid doing altogether.
    • Voltro
    • By Voltro 26th Oct 10, 10:42 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    Voltro
    Proof in the pudding (no pun intended) that fad diets don't work, just moderation and exercise is the key.
    Originally posted by luvvlyjubbly
    They do work to get the weight of - but it often leads to a rebound.
  • SugarCandy2010
    Help in keeping the pounds off with a free local service!
    In my local area there is a Health Trainer Service, they are either run by the NHS, local Authority or other funders.
    The best part is that is free! It's aimed at people over the age of 18 and it offers one to one support in achieving a personal health goal. It can be used for various lifestyles changes e.g. healthy eating, increasing exercise, sensible drinking and support in giving up smoking. In also helps with signposting to local services.
    • neilcr
    • By neilcr 27th Oct 10, 2:32 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    neilcr
    Interesting to read about the runners doing so well as I gave up running several years ago due to a variety of reasons. I am going to have to start again as I am now 3 and a half stone heavier. The good thing about running is it's a hell of a lot cheaper than going to a gym.

A couple of tips I could give to the less experienced runners is try and do some of your miles on softer surfaces when possible and make sure you use decent running shoes. As decent running shoes are not cheap it's a good tip to look for last years shoes that are being sold off at a good discount.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,660Posts Today

8,662Users online

Martin's Twitter