Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Sep 10, 10:37 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    October 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Sep 10, 10:37 AM
    October 2010 Grocery Challenge 25th Sep 10 at 10:37 AM
    Hello everyone!

Welcome to the tenth Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your September budget, then keep on posting in the September 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great Moneysaving Month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 27-09-2010 at 9:32 PM.
Page 37
  • wssla00
    That's rubbish! Oh well. I'm sure you can get it in Morissons. If I remember rightly, I asked them to slice a couple of slices for a pizza- cost me about 20p so you might be able to do that?

It tastes a lot of paprika so if you like that then chances are you will like chorizo. It's also good in pasta! But I like all those types of meats (except pepperoni..... Bleugh)
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • katholicos
    hey all!

haven't spent anymore on groceries yet. Yesterday we ate at my parents and today i fried a whoopsied stir fry (10p) for tea and made served it up with basmati rice with pinto beans.
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
    • Sue14
    • By Sue14 13th Oct 10, 9:40 PM
    • 899 Posts
    • 10,894 Thanks
    Sue14
    Somehow I'd added up my spends wrong, but now I've had a recount I haven't spent quite as much as I thought I had (only £2.96 difference but every penny counts, lol!), anyway I had another spend of £7.38 today on milk and cat food.

Tonight I made chicken fajitas, using up the last of the chicken I had in the freezer, and some peppers which needed to be used before they went manky. OH is a bit worried that we won't make it to the end of the month with just £73.50 left in the budget, but we should be ok even if we have to have something with sausages or minced beef every day as we have loads of both of those!
    Weight loss challenge 3/10lbs
    Total weight loss 21lbs

• greent
    • By greent 14th Oct 10, 6:57 AM
    • 8,189 Posts
    • 83,195 Thanks
    greent
    But I don't want to stick loads in the freezer (if I can even find space) without knowing I like it first - so I really need to find somewhere I can get a one-person portion to try
    Originally posted by cw18

Our Mr T sells it off the deli counter - they'll even give you a slice to try
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £3757/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £513.64/£500
    • cheerfulness4
    • By cheerfulness4 14th Oct 10, 8:53 AM
    • 2,823 Posts
    • 25,381 Thanks
    cheerfulness4
    Another £1.29 spent on two huge hands of bananas. Think I'll be having bananas sandwiches for my lunches for a few days considering how little I have of my budget left!
    • Sunnyday
    • By Sunnyday 14th Oct 10, 9:21 AM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 34,008 Thanks
    Sunnyday
    Hi peeps,

just updated my siggy as £4.32 was spent in the local Co-op last night.
    Whoopsied sausages and a huge bag of spinach so i`ll make soup with the spinach later, i also got a small pot of double cream anmd some more of the half price G&B choccie

I need to pop out for some eggs later but thats all that we should need until the weekend and even then it should be a fairly small shop this time around.

I`m finding that making soup for lunches is saving quite a bit and its nice not having to hunt around for sandwich fillings, i made soft cheese with garlic and liver and bacon pate yesterday so thats the breakfasts sorted for a while as i`ve frozen quite a bit of the pate. DH has gone off sweet stuff like jam on his toast in the mornings so the soft cheese and pate will be just the thing without breaking the bank. I also have a tub of peanut butter hidden at the back of the cupboard for when he fancies a change.

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon
    • NickJW
    • By NickJW 14th Oct 10, 9:21 AM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    I've only "discovered" them myself this year, and I love them. I halve this recipe, as only OH and I will eat this type of meal MOROCCAN CHICKEN THIGHS It's totally lush. Monday[/i]
    Originally posted by Hippeechiq
    Mmm - that looks lovely! Perfect excuse to buy some wine!

On a negative note, I had a moment of weakness last night and had some fish and chips from the chip shop - £5 spent <hangs head in shame>.
    I really didn't NEED it since I have tons of food in - I just WANTED it. And I very rarely have takeaways anyway so I fancied having a treat....
    Last edited by NickJW; 14-10-2010 at 9:23 AM.
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 £46.05/£130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 14th Oct 10, 9:47 AM
    • 16,922 Posts
    • 144,912 Thanks
    JackieO
    hello Peeps ,aren't we all doing brilliantly this month.I think the onset of worrying about Christmas coming is focussing us all on our spending.I have so far still not been to a shop and my £7.00 from Sunday until this Saturday is intact.My freezer is getting a good rummage everyday and I am doing my best to use what I have .Tomorrow I will need to buy some free range eggs from the butchers and half a cucumber.I thought I needed tea bags as well but have found a packet at the back of the cupboard that I had overlooked so hopefully thats all I will need.I shall only take enough out with my when I nip across to my shops to buy what I need and no more.I am frugality personified this week thats for sure
    Saturday night I am going to another quiz night and have to take some nibbles so I am going to do some baking on Friday ,probably some Twinks cookies and maybe a Lemon Drizzle cake, no point buying in when I have the ingrediants in the cupboard. I can probably rustle up some sausage rolls as well as I have puff pastry and sausage meat in the freezer as well,that should cover things.Glad to see that we are all being really frugal and watching the pennies .Next wednesday when the spending review comes in there are going to be some severe cuts I think and having already been cutting things back will help a lot of us.
    keep up the good work chums
    Cheers JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 14th Oct 10, 10:26 AM
    • 4,842 Posts
    • 58,667 Thanks
    sistercas
    back from sainsbugs and t3sco , £36 in mr s and £18 in mr t

mr s had large chickens on offer for around £3 ( instead of £5 ) dont know if it was just our one or if its a national thing

also got some niv3a q10 night cream for £4.98 ( half price )

spent more than i meant to ( the chicken wasnt on my list but couldnt turn that down , I will cook it tomorrow and it will do us 2-3 days )

Sunnyday i like the idea of the pate for lunches , i get fed up of thinking of sandwich fillings , my teenage DD's wont take anything with , pickle , onion, fish or coronation chickn as it makes their breath smell and they wont take egg as it makes everything smell
    so it cheese or ham
  • Diflower
    OH has taken a small list with him today, which means we will get exactly what's on it. It does include wine so the total will jump up, but friends are coming for dinner on Saturday.
    Made my first soup of the season for lunch yesterday, and have plenty left for today, I agree it makes lunch easier.

Re sandwich fillings, one way I stretch eg cheese or tuna. Buy the smallest pot of the cheapest value coleslaw (usually cheaper than white cabbage unless you want 3 tons of it), add at least one grated carrot. Can also grate & add anything else you have a bit of, celeriac, fennel, celery etc, and/or a handful of seeds, and extra seasoning if it needs it. This also makes it much less runny. Then mix this with grated cheese or tuna.

I'm making a chilli tonight, using a small pot of LO Bolognese and black eyed beans (currently soaking), plus whatever else it looks like it needs

Thanks everyone for all your ideas, they really do help.

• mum2b
    Afternoon all!
    Just done a tally up, so far i'm at £163.47/£225 which is good as just fresh fruit/veg/milk/maybe some bread/eggs until the end of the month....oh and that includes my first app foods order
    Glad to hear everyone is doing well.
    xx
  • Hippeechiq
    Mmm - that looks lovely! Perfect excuse to buy some wine!
    On a negative note, I had a moment of weakness last night and had some fish and chips from the chip shop - £5 spent <hangs head in shame>.
    I really didn't NEED it since I have tons of food in - I just WANTED it. And I very rarely have takeaways anyway so I fancied having a treat....
    Originally posted by NickJW
    I freeze pretty much everything, and I freeze both red and white wine for cooking - that way I always have some if a recipe calls for it.

When I can afford a bottle, I have special little pots that hold up to 150ml - some recipes I use call for 60ml of wine, some for 150ml, so when I have a bottle of red or white, I pour (depending what I already have in the freezer) either 60 or 150ml into my little pots and freeze it.

That way, if I'm having a week when I can't afford a bottle of wine (which is most weeks nowadays) and I'm cooking a dish that requires it, I always have some on hand

And re your splurge on Fish N Chips - what the hell, eh? We all have to have some little treat, no matter how small, to break the drudgery of trying to making ends meet sometimes, otherwise, really, what's the point?!

Am looking at a NSD today - off to update siggy
    Last edited by Hippeechiq; 14-10-2010 at 4:33 PM.
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
    • Sunnyday
    • By Sunnyday 14th Oct 10, 1:39 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 34,008 Thanks
    Sunnyday
    I`m back, have updated siggy yet again

I`ve spent just under £30, i got eggs from iceland, sainsbug for bacon, smoked salmon and a nice big cauliflower for soup, then i went to MrM to see if the hobgoblin beer was on offer. It was but only the cans not the bottles so i only bought 4 - that wouldn`t normally be included in the GC but i`ve added it to see if i can manage. If not i`ll take it away again. They also had the Persil bio offer on so i`m afraid that i fed my addiction to it and bought 2, they were mixed up on the shelf with some slightly smaller sizes so do check if you are going to get some as the smaller ones wouldn`t go through the till with the offer

I called in the pound shop for the tetleys teabags and sugar and came out with some new tupperware pots for soup - again i`ve added them just to see

I now have 4 large soap powders underneath my sink and some in plastic containers that i empty the boxes into once they are opened I can only just close the door so i really need to stop buying it.

Sistercas - the pate is really nice and very tasty, i`ve recently stopped adding butter to it and adding a tin of chopped tomatoes before whizzing it all up so its even more economical. The consistency is slighly different but both DH & i prefer it - bit healthier too

I`m off for a browse before i make the soup.

SD
    • LannyLee
    • By LannyLee 14th Oct 10, 1:46 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 2,958 Thanks
    LannyLee

Sistercas - the pate is really nice and very tasty, i`ve recently stopped adding butter to it and adding a tin of chopped tomatoes before whizzing it all up so its even more economical. The consistency is slighly different but both DH & i prefer it - bit healthier too

I`m off for a browse before i make the soup.

SD
    Originally posted by Sunnyday
    Can you post the recipe? As I've always fancied making pate & it will be perfect for snacks over Xmas (Eeeekkk only 72 days, how the hell did that happen!?!)
  • mrsbowie
    well this morning I made use of some over ripe bananas and made smoothies, which then made me decide to try and lose few pounds, so far so good, not sure if I'm actually saving money at the mo, but it's making me think about my shopping more and trynig to stretch out meals more so it's a good things, thanks
    • Sunnyday
    • By Sunnyday 14th Oct 10, 2:04 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 34,008 Thanks
    Sunnyday
    Can you post the recipe? As I've always fancied making pate & it will be perfect for snacks over Xmas (Eeeekkk only 72 days, how the hell did that happen!?!)
    Originally posted by LannyLee
    Lol yup its definitely creeping up on us!

Liver and bacon pate

two packs of lambs liver (about £1.60)

small amount of smoked bacon - about 4 pieces but you can add more if you like as it dosen`t make much difference.

Chopped garlic, tin of tomatoes and salt and pepper. I throw a couple of bayleaves in too and a couple of onions.

I throw it all in the slowcooker on low overnight and in the morning once its cooled just throw it in the food processor until smooth. Reserve the liquid and add afterwards to reach the consistency that you prefer I used to add a whole pack of room temperature butter cut into chunks at the blending stage but its easily left out by keeping the juice from the tomatoes in the mix.

I freeze it in ramekins and defrost it in the fridge - very tasty.

SD
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 14th Oct 10, 2:32 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Hello folks - have just stopped by to update my signature. I really don't know where the last week has gone! I have got £87.35 to last till the end of the month which is 28th for me. I ought to be able to do it (hope those aren't famous last words!)

Went to Mr S this morning and bought a few extras which weren't on my list (slap, slap!). They were selling prepared leeks for £1.99 a pack on BOGOF so I got some as we love leeks and I can feel some soup coming on! A friend who is moving was clearing stuff out and donated a huge slow cooker to me - much bigger than the one I have got so I am looking forward to trying it out at the weekend. I can cook a whole chicken in this one.

Have only managed 7 NSDs so far this month which is not good enough! It's down to poor planning I am afraid and being back at work so I pass the Co-op on the way home!

Off to try and catch up a bit on all the posts I have missed before leaving for my evening shift at work! Have a good rest of the day folks.

Moniker
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 14th Oct 10, 2:42 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Phoolgrrrl It's not the acutal touching of the garlic that bothers me, it's how it makes your breath smell. Garlic is divine, but extremely anti social if you've had it and someone else hasn't, and vice versa

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you - the smell is vile - I can tell if food has it in it even if it's only a tiny bit and I cannot for the life of me see how it improves the taste of most recipes. I always leave it out and never have a problem with producing full-flavoured food. It's terrible if your partner eats something unknowingly containing the evil bulb and then comes home reeking. The trouble is you can't really smell how bad it is when you have eaten it - it's the effect it has on other people! I can see why it would put a vampire off!

Moniker
  • adelight
    Doing dinner for me & OH so spent £3.49 on free range chicken, chillis and some spices. Quite excited to have good meat from a butcher, not iceland, and found out I can get lambs heart there too
    Living cheap in central London
    • Chloris
    • By Chloris 14th Oct 10, 2:59 PM
    • 659 Posts
    • 9,479 Thanks
    Chloris
    C**p spend £16.65, free range chicken, large box of chocolates for my DD's birthday party at the end of the month and other bits. Disappointed that I have tipped over into the £200+ now, but it was going to happen sooner or later. Ho hum.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

550Posts Today

5,718Users online

Martin's Twitter