Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 8th Oct 10, 5:41 PM
    • 11,946 Posts
    • 10,439 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 8th Oct 10, 5:41 PM
    • 8th Oct 10, 5:41 PM
    One minor point you may want to alter on the blog, Freecycle now calls itself "Freegle".

Useful blog with some good points, but no real new info as far as I'm concerned.
    • Regshoe
    • By Regshoe 11th Oct 10, 11:55 AM
    • 237 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    Regshoe
    • 11th Oct 10, 11:55 AM
    • 11th Oct 10, 11:55 AM
    "Skills swaps are another great way of giving for free; I know a resourceful Spanish teacher who’s been swapping her language skills for guitar lessons for years – without a penny ever changing hands."

If they operate alone then I doubt that either the Spanish teacher or the Guitar teacher will be VAT registered, but if either is they should probably be accounting for (and indeed paying) VAT on these services, even if no money is changing hands (see below from the HMRC website).

Honestly, just when you think you are helping people some git of an accountant turns up and spoils things

-------------------------------------------
    2.9 Do I still have to account for VAT if no money is paid?

It depends. If you provide genuinely free services there is no VAT. Free goods are treated a bit differently. If you occasionally give away to different people an item from stock that has cost you less than 50, there is no VAT. You must account for VAT on all other goods which you provide free of charge.
    You must also account for VAT on the full value of anything you supply if you receive goods or services rather than money in return for it. For example, if you take something in part-exchange for goods you sell, you must account for VAT on the full value of what you sell, not just the money that changes hands.
    • Mobeer
    • By Mobeer 3rd Nov 10, 9:42 PM
    • 1,781 Posts
    • 4,440 Thanks
    Mobeer
    • 3rd Nov 10, 9:42 PM
    • 3rd Nov 10, 9:42 PM
    Your being "kind" to the kids in the restaurant was also being "cruel" to the owner(s) and staff of the restaurant.
  • michellew
    • 26th Nov 10, 3:58 PM
    • 26th Nov 10, 3:58 PM
    tbh I always pass on any vouchers in restaurants etc if we won't / can't use them - someone may as well have the use of them and I have had coupons passed to me in the supermarket too - what goes around comes around
    Happy with any wins this year
  • kirkh
    • 7th Jan 11, 10:54 PM
    • 7th Jan 11, 10:54 PM
    [QUOTE=Regshoe;37410488]"Skills swaps are another great way of giving for free; I know a resourceful Spanish teacher whos been swapping her language skills for guitar lessons for years without a penny ever changing hands."

There's a great organisation called timebank in the UK for this kind of thing- google them!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,941Posts Today

7,068Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LeedsWomensAid: We are pleased to see @MartinSLewis raising awareness about the important issue of financial abuse. Have a read of his?

• Didn't get your MSE weekly email today - for some reason Microsoft (inc outlook hotmail) filed many as spam so chec? https://t.co/GH6aH9CBTn

• RT @Gumtree: @MartinSLewis Hi Martin, we do not tolerate unscrupulous advertising by third parties on the Gumtree platform and are working?

• Follow Martin