Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • toddles*
    • By toddles* 13th Oct 10, 9:52 AM
    • 360 Posts
    • 2,653 Thanks
    toddles*
    • 13th Oct 10, 9:52 AM
    • 13th Oct 10, 9:52 AM
    We recently gave up Sky+ and got a freeview recorder from Freecycle. It will save us 100's every year and we are not missing it at all. Having Sky was completley out of habit but when we thought about it we only watch the freeview channels anyway, mainly the BBC ones. So just not worth it for us
    Happy days
    • dazzle21
    • By dazzle21 13th Oct 10, 10:01 AM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 7,242 Thanks
    dazzle21
    • 13th Oct 10, 10:01 AM
    • 13th Oct 10, 10:01 AM
    I gave up my daily coffee shop habit... 3 a day for coffee... what was i thinking?! Now reserved for a treat, and max twice a month when i meet friends!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Lee; 19-10-2010 at 4:11 PM.
    August: 149/150

Sept: 200
  • Anjushka
    • 13th Oct 10, 11:00 AM
    • 13th Oct 10, 11:00 AM
    I have decided to give up expensive coffee shop coffees in the morning and drink the (admittedly rank) instant one we have in the office. With the money saved I have so far managed to fill 2 shoeboxes for the Shoebox appeal of Operation Christmas child. Happy me for taking in less sugar and calories - happy children for getting a Christmas present!
    • snottyotty
    • By snottyotty 13th Oct 10, 11:11 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    snottyotty
    • 13th Oct 10, 11:11 AM
    • 13th Oct 10, 11:11 AM
    This may be an odd one but true. 5 years ago I gave up the evil weed, not only did my health improve, (though I have put on a lot of weight) The money I didn't spend on cigs every week paid for me to become a solo glider pilot! Oh, and I wasn't a very heavy smoker, it's just that gliding is cheap.( c. 30 per lesson all in at our club once you pay for membership)
    • tiff
    • By tiff 13th Oct 10, 11:15 AM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    • 13th Oct 10, 11:15 AM
    • 13th Oct 10, 11:15 AM
    We've given up borrowing money to buy a car. We now drive a 1999 Saab 93, bought with full MOT in May. It cost 1200 as that was all we had available to spend at the time. Now saving for the next car. Just dont see the point in borrowing lots of money and paying interest on something that is depreciating all the time.
    A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went. - Dave Ramsey
  • Kay Peel
    • 13th Oct 10, 12:04 PM
    • 13th Oct 10, 12:04 PM
    Two things:

I stopped sending Christmas cards (what is the point of giving cards to neighbours, friends, brothers, sisters and people you work with?)

and

I stopped buying newspapers and magazines. For Christmas/birthday presents I asked for a 12 month subscription to Prima Magazine (19, delivery to the home) and The Week (a digest with excerpts, comments, analysis and reviews from all the newspapers delivered to my door every week for 30).
  • becc36
    • 13th Oct 10, 1:19 PM
    • 13th Oct 10, 1:19 PM
    I've made a new years resolution to give up buying clothes this year...not only has it saved me a fortune in clothes but also saved me time as I no longer wander around just to see if there is anything I like.
  • myjamfactory
    • 13th Oct 10, 2:05 PM
    saving by giving up your addictions.
    • 13th Oct 10, 2:05 PM
    I gave up fags, saved 60 per week..this lead to stopping drinking alcohol/coffee & tea.. a further saving of about 30 per week. Yes, I would have died sooner had I carried on..overall I`m much happier & healthier now. & my kids are delighted. Give up the addictions!
    • antilles
    • By antilles 13th Oct 10, 2:57 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    antilles
    Stopped buying tea in the work canteen, and started bringing my own cup and tea bags in, and using the free hot water dispenser in the canteen. Saving of approx 2 per day, or over 500 per year!
  • Healing Hands
    Sky+
    I quit sky+ as I was only watching the free channels and was going to buy the equivalent free view box. Within a month sky offered me half price subscription for 12 months, on a monthly contract with 50 of M & S vouchers of cash back. Saving over 12 months 164! Thank you sky.
  • Matari
    Gave up the fags - 6 days off 1st year anniversary...
    ...I HAVE NOT smoked: 7180 cigs (based on 20 per day) and NOT SPENT a massive 1975.00 (based on 5.50 per day).

So I am nearly 2000 less in debt than I would be (thank you to the designer of the iQuit widget for my Mac).
    • BobbinAlong
    • By BobbinAlong 13th Oct 10, 6:02 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    BobbinAlong
    I've given notice to cancel Burda, my last sewing and knitting magazine which has now got to 4.75 a month. The patterns are getting too way out for me and I'm not doing as much as I used to. I've got twenty years worth of back issues because I'd never get rid of them, so I'll always find a pattern that's close enough to what I want. Besides with no pay rise due until August 2013 (civil service ) I'll need a few economies.
  • Daycart1
    Lots of ways to save if you think selfish - I no longer send any cards or buy presents for anyone. When I need to phone someone I let the phone ring a couple of times so people don't have time to answer and then let them ring me back after they've dialled 1471 - works a treat. I also check shopping trolleys in case anyone has left their pound coin - happens more often than you would expect. Also worth checking your supermarket receipt before you leave the store as often things don't scan at the reduced price if they are on offer(specially at ASDA). If you use the self-checkout call the assistant if the scanned price is incorrect - otherwise it's a long wait at customer services watching people return grubby clothes without receipts for a refund.
  • youluckypanda
    I quit.. going out to bars/nightclubs. Never liked going to either but was often dragged along by workmates/friends etc but have taken a stand to say no. Instead I spend my nights in the gym, or cooking for people at home. Much much cheaper!
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 13th Oct 10, 6:39 PM
    • 10,324 Posts
    • 37,222 Thanks
    luxor4t
    I quit buying Boots' special offers, glitches & reductions in toiletries while kidding myself they were 'bargains', as of 24th January this year.

I'm still working my way through the stash & have only just had to buy shampoo for the first time this year .

I've got enough shower gel & bubble bath for myself & the family the next 12 months easily - and that's after donating a box full to a local charity!

Not sure how much I've saved - but well over 100
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • minicooper272
    • By minicooper272 13th Oct 10, 7:15 PM
    • 2,127 Posts
    • 16,678 Thanks
    minicooper272
    I decided to make a really conscious effort to eat more healthily before my final year exams at Uni. I pretty much cut out crisps/sweets (Approximately 50p-1 per day) and soft drinks (60p/day - 3/week). It has saved me so much money! And my concentration and performance really benefited. I decided to keep it up because of the difference it made. The demotivator helped with this when I worked out that I spent somewhere between 500-700 on junk and munchies in a year (if not more).
    • millie
    • By millie 13th Oct 10, 8:57 PM
    • 923 Posts
    • 321 Thanks
    millie
    [QUOTE= Also worth checking your supermarket receipt before you leave the store as often things don't scan at the reduced price if they are on offer(specially at ASDA). If you use the self-checkout call the assistant if the scanned price is incorrect - otherwise it's a long wait at customer services watching people return grubby clothes without receipts for a refund.[/QUOTE]

You would save more money if you let them overcharge you. Because they are supposed to give a 2 gift card to you if you are charged incorrectly and if they don't then ask for it.
  • Vaila
    ive quit giving cards and also buying magazines
  • chimp choker
    I've quit on a lot of things. The "finest" foods are one and even the mid price foods. I have given up on shopping lists and planned meals to go into town and see what is "on offer" such as asda yellow label stuff. I then make up a good 2 or 3 course evening meal for less than 5 for two of us per day.

Given up on the car because the alternator is the latest thing to go wrong so use the bus now.

Given up on football tickets, sweets, pies, lottery tickets except the occasional euro millions rollover.

I've given up on impulse purchases and now make things last longer when before i'd just go out and buy a new "thing". An example of this is shoes. I had 5 pairs of shoes, each one has now been exhausted and then still worn for many months after. I'm now down to one final pair and these have finally given up the ghost.

Another example is my watch glass broke, I would have replaced it imediatly at a cost of 20 but then two weeks after that I dropped it again. It would have been another 20 but the hands still turn and tell the time so I've not replaced it yet.

I've given up on buying wood and building materials prefering to skip dive now.

Th listgoes on and on but if you are, like me skint to the extremes then saying no is quite easy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,708Posts Today

9,907Users online

Martin's Twitter