Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Sep 10, 10:37 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    October 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Sep 10, 10:37 AM
    October 2010 Grocery Challenge 25th Sep 10 at 10:37 AM
    Hello everyone!

Welcome to the tenth Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your September budget, then keep on posting in the September 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great Moneysaving Month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 27-09-2010 at 9:32 PM.
Page 5
  • ChocClare
    Well, hello again - please can I play, it's the only thing MAKING me keep an eye on my spending!

Usual thanks to pink, mrs m and rosieben, and please would you put me down for

this month.

Good luck everyone!
  • tallullahbelle
    Overspent (AGAIN) in Sept... but to be fair some of it could have gone onto different budgets and some was paid for with my Nectar points so it wasn't SO bad... I'm declaring 550.14 for SEPT and setting myself 450 for OCTOBER...
    I'll definitely do this challenge again next year as it really does make me think long and hard about what is actually going in to my trolley. I'll have an annual budget next year though as I think I'll find it easier...Thanks to all!
    2014 GC: 957.61/ 5400
    • kezlou
    • By kezlou 29th Sep 10, 1:05 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 43,067 Thanks
    kezlou
    Glad you enjoyed the calzones brodie!

I only started making them last week, and lo and behold they a hit! The boys have two left for tomorrow's pack lunch.
    That's really strange about the chicken from Sainsburys. I normally buy the mass produced chicken, , and it usually tastes fine. hmmm not good.

Not sure where having today, may try and attempt to make chicken, brocolli and cheese sauce en croutes using the pastry recipe i use for quiches.

oops that reminds me need to buy more eggs.
  • brodie1
    chicken
    Hi Kezlou,
    the chicken was fine when hot, it was the following day when cold and heated up. I have found this before with some chicken. This chicken was xtra large and called something like sainsburys special. So maybee it was from a different supplier, I did think at the time a 1. 00 per 1.00 thats unsually cheap. I havnt had this prob with morrisons chickens.
    Anyway thanks again for the cazlone recipie

Brodie1
    Brodie 1/ july 300/330.62August300/322.49
    September 300/239.78Oct300/258.50Nov 250/282.24 December 300/300.01 JAN 2011 300/288.72 . September 300/319.19, October 300/351.59Three adults, 1 dog and 1 cats and cleaning stuff, toiletries, beer.
    • cookiemum
    • By cookiemum 29th Sep 10, 1:38 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 2,119 Thanks
    cookiemum
    Another Calzone lover here! Made them for the first time a couple of weeks ago and they have become a regular family meal ever since. My awkward family do like different fillings though.

Spend 5.20 in H*rons today -Yogs, milk, crisps, biscuits and cheese.

Mr A home delivery ordered for tomorrow.Also bought newspaper with L*dl voucher so may be forced to spend it!

February Grocery Challenge 301.46/300
    To feed - Me, DH, DD, DS and 1 dog

• wssla00
    Afternoon all I had an NSD today so that was great. Going to make a big old pot of chilli as today has been such rubbish weather. I made a loaf of brown bread yesterday so will slice that up today and it will do for toast and sarnies.

Anyone got any good recipes for spring onions (well japanese bunching ones)? I have loads in my garden and would like to use some of them for something however not sure what..... Will deffo make potato salad but can't think of anything else?? They have no bulb and are like the spring onions you get in the supermarket.

Have a good evening all
    Feb GC: 200 Spent: 190.79
    • LannyLee
    • By LannyLee 29th Sep 10, 4:06 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 2,958 Thanks
    LannyLee
    Am very excited got my Dan AppFood deliovery coming tmw, it's my first one & I was amazed at how much stuff we got for 35, and it's a good job too as I've had a re-jig of my budget & taking into acc Xmas pressies we've only got 40 to last us the rest of the month , well until 25th October, good job my freezer is rammed, cos' that 40 will just about cover milk, bread & f&v, so glad I got my voucher for my free kingsmill loaf - if you go onto their website & enter a draw for a spa break they give you a voucher for a free loaf one of their new one's something to do with oats i think

Wish us luck, I can feel some battening the hatches coming on, but nothing new there
    • mrs tooti-frooti
    • By mrs tooti-frooti 29th Sep 10, 4:32 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 454 Thanks
    mrs tooti-frooti
    Hi Can I join please?

As I have no idea how much we spend I will set it for October at 500.00

Thanks
    mrs tooti-frooti
  • claire1234
    hiya everyone,

going to seriously try to be on budget for october,
    we`ve got plenty in so i wont be doing a shop untill monday (hopefully)
    oh has got a thing for wraps at the minute - i fill them with anything going really, plenty of salad for him,
    currently got choc chip cookies in the oven as he`s been complaining there`s nothing sweet, he can usually have 1 or 2 cornettos a day luckliy his fave is tesco own brand,

got frozen chicken/mince/turkey/sausages/lamb so that will keep us going, plenty of bread, milk, tins, baking stuff,

i usually use bold for my washing & was wondering does everyone else just stock up when on offer or is there any own brands that are any good?
    i usually get dishwasher tablets from b&m, 5 for a box of 60 so im stocked up on them,

also any recipes for a chick pea curry? i was thinking just tinned tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, onion & plenty of spices & herbs? never tried before,

hope everyones doing well
    Last edited by claire1234; 29-09-2010 at 4:37 PM.
    • carolt2
    • By carolt2 29th Sep 10, 5:18 PM
    • 846 Posts
    • 14,784 Thanks
    carolt2
    There is a recipe for chicken and chick pea curry on page 1 of this thread, Post 5.

You could leave out the chicken and add other beans and pulses if your vegetarian.

HTH
    'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle'
    • jammy dodger
    • By jammy dodger 29th Sep 10, 5:22 PM
    • 1,112 Posts
    • 5,384 Thanks
    jammy dodger
    i have been lurking about these grocery challenge threads for some time and now am striking into action

my DD goes off to uni tomorrow and i'm determined to get the monthly shop down even further by careful budget and one less mouth to feed

so could you out me own for 200 and i'll see how that goes have loads stocked up so thinking that should be plenty ...she says must go shopping less often and stick to list

many thanks Jammy dodger

off tolook at calzone
    • becky170
    • By becky170 29th Sep 10, 6:08 PM
    • 510 Posts
    • 4,298 Thanks
    becky170
    Can I be put down for 150 this month? Got to do some serious saving as really need to get together for a house deposit, so really have to stick to budget from now on!

Thanks for starting the new thread
    MFW 2019 #7 904/1615
    Grocery challenge June 300/450
  • HabibiBoo
    [COLOR="Magenta"]Hello Happy October everyone (well, nearly)!
    Can I sign up for 250 please?
    I'm pretty good with the budget and making do etc, what I'm having trouble with is getting the OH to stop sneaking off to Lidl for "essentials" (beer, croissants, parmesan, random gadgets etc) then coming back and saying "you owe me 20 for shopping".
    Any hints on how to get him to hear the "we only need to buy milk" mantra? I really want to crack this one in October!
    Last edited by HabibiBoo; 29-09-2010 at 6:14 PM. Reason: Wot no colour?
    Oct 10 a day: 5.23/310
    Oct grocery challenge: 151/250
  • Snowdonlily
    Hi.......I've been following this thread for the last two months and think its brilliant!

My personal circumstances changed dramatically about two months ago (my marriage broke up!)......so my budget to spend on groceries is much less now.

I have three sons......two away at Uni and one who spends most of his time at his dads house (he's in his last year at school so needs stability)......but who still manages to eat me out of house and home whenever he's here!

Can you put me down for 200 please? I know I could probably manage on less, but I still have good days and bad days and am not ready to do without the odd glass of wine and bar of chocolate.

Thank you
    Total debt at LBM 26k+
    Total debt now 16,494.40
    Tesco CC 11/2/11 Total - 1,387.20 - Now 0
  • HabibiBoo
    Hugs, Snowdonlily - total empathy, there will be plenty of other things you can do without or cut down on before moving to the choc and wine, keep the essentials in as long as they are needed! Good luck with the challenge!
    Oct 10 a day: 5.23/310
    Oct grocery challenge: 151/250
  • Hippeechiq
    This challenge really makes me question what i actually need instead of what i think i need !!!
    Originally posted by monks
    Doesn't it just! Which is all good

I've been meaning to ask......I think I'm probably alone in this, but am I the only one who doesn't batch cook main meals?

I don't not do it because I can't be bothered, I'm just not very keen on the taste of something that has been cooked, frozen, and then re-heated? I especially can't abide the taste of re-heated potatoes - bleurgh

With the exception of Shepherdess Pie (minus the mash) Cheese & Lentil Loaf and Onion Tart - which all contain no meat - I cook all my meals from scratch on the day I eat it.

This isn't a dig at those who do - I wish I could, it would make life a lot easier, but to me, meat never tastes right when it's been re-heated. I just wondered if I was alone in this?
    Aug11 193.29/240

Oct10 266.72 /275 Nov10 276.71/275 Dec10 311.33 / 275 Jan11 242.25/ 250 Feb11 243.14/ 250 Mar11 221.99/ 230
    Apr11 237.39 /240 May11 237.71/240 Jun11 244.03/ 240 July11 244.89/ 240
    Xmas 2011 Fund 220
  • BlimusOreilly
    Please can you put me down for 220 for October please MrsM.
    DFW Nerd 941 Proud to be dealing with my debt
    August GC 0/300

• Shysarah
    Here I am, going to deffo have another bash at this during Oct... 80 please

This is just for me and my fussy cat but only groceries ie food/cleaning products.

Was under last month by 5.48 which I am really pleased about but I had some shopping gifted to me due to hospital admissions etc. We will see how this one goes..

Considering in Aug I spent about 100/120 this is making a major difference to me!
    GC 2011
    Jan 43.45/40.00 Feb 55.14/55.00 Mar 64.88/120
    I MUST KEEP POSITIVE!!
    Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted (John Lennon)

• sistercas
    • By sistercas 29th Sep 10, 7:19 PM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 58,661 Thanks
    sistercas
    I've been meaning to ask......I think I'm probably alone in this, but am I the only one who doesn't batch cook main meals?

I don't not do it because I can't be bothered, I'm just not very keen on the taste of something that has been cooked, frozen, and then re-heated? I especially can't abide the taste of re-heated potatoes - bleurgh

With the exception of Shepherdess Pie (minus the mash) Cheese & Lentil Loaf and Onion Tart - which all contain no meat - I cook all my meals from scratch on the day I eat it.

This isn't a dig at those who do - I wish I could, it would make life a lot easier, but to me, meat never tastes right when it's been re-heated. I just wondered if I was alone in this?
    Originally posted by Hippeechiq
    i dont batch cook ( except bolognaise ) as no matter how much i make it seems to all disappear in one meal so i find it best to just make enough for one meal

going to have to have a tighter month than i first thought as DD1 needs to do a course which hopefully will help her with her future career but it has cost 300

Kezlou i am going to make the calzone this weekend - cant wait - thanks
    Last edited by sistercas; 29-09-2010 at 7:27 PM.
    • kezlou
    • By kezlou 29th Sep 10, 7:20 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 43,067 Thanks
    kezlou
    brodie1 i will no doubt be buying a chicken from there in the next few days so i'll let you know how i get on with mine. I normally freeze cooked chicken ready for sandwiches pies etc. Really hope the chicken is nice tasty as generally there the one place i can buy a chicken from thats a decent size and is quite cheap.

wssla i just use spring onions the same way i use ordinary onions and they always taste fine to me.

hippiechiq for me it depends on the meal. Somethings like macaroni don't taste that good warmed up. But lamb curry tastes (according to OH and DS1) better reheated.

Well just finished batch cooking a load of pastry based foods.
    So now we have:-

8 cheese, chicken and broccoli pasties (had 10 but 2 disappeared into the kids mouths)
    4 mini quiches
    1 large quiche
    6 very large monster buns
    one lot of broccil veg juice
    one pint of chicken stock

We had this for tea:-

Chicken, cheese, ham and broccoli pie

Shortcrust pastry
    200g cooked chicken
    1 medium head of brocoli cooked
    scraps of ham (optional)
    100g cheese
    1 pint milk
    2 tbsp of self raising (can use plain)
    margerine or butter 25g

Method.
    Pre heat oven to gas mark 6.
    Make pastry here's the link:-
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=16145993#post16145993
    When the above is done you can start making the sauce.
    Melt 25g of butter
    stir in 2tbsp of self raising flour
    once mixed add pint of milk till all is blended in and has turned into a thick sauce.
    Stir cheese in till melted and leave.
    Boil broccoli till cooked, drain (i keep the veg water for soup).
    Add the cooked brocoli and chicken the cheese sauce and mash it with a fork till there's hardly any lumps. When it is fully mixed in leave it while oyu roll the pastry out.

Roll out pastry and place the bottom of the pie into pyrex dish and bake till partially cooked. Then place the cheese / chicken mixture into part cooked pastry and place the top of the (uncooked pastry) on top. Place in oven till golden brown. Serve hot or cold.

I then used the leftover cheese mixture to make pasties.

Hope the above is useful for anyone.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,810Posts Today

6,999Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin