Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Sep 10, 10:37 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    October 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Sep 10, 10:37 AM
    October 2010 Grocery Challenge 25th Sep 10 at 10:37 AM
    Hello everyone!

Welcome to the tenth Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your September budget, then keep on posting in the September 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great Moneysaving Month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 27-09-2010 at 9:32 PM.
Page 3
  • Annie56
    Kezlou...could you tell me what a calzone is please and any recipe would be most aprreciated thanks..Annie56
    TODAY I WOKE UP< LOOKED AROUND ME AND SAID TO MYSELF>> ANNIE YOUR ONE LUCKY WOMAN TO HAVE WHAT YOU HAVE!!!!!!!!!!!Live according to your means, not up to your expectations.
    • kezlou
    • By kezlou 28th Sep 10, 1:07 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 43,067 Thanks
    kezlou
    Hi Annie, here's the recipe for you

Calzones
    Okay this is in the bread machine but you can do it by hand.

300ml cold water

500g plain flour
    1tsp table salt
    2tsp granulated sugar
    1 1/2 tsp of dried active yeast

bung all on dough setting in machine.

hand making

mix all dry ingredients together and slowly add 300ml warmish water and stir till mixed together. Leave to prove till risen to twice the size.

Filling:- (This normally makes up 16 individual calzones)

One onion chopped up small
    garlic (optional)
    2 tins of tomatoes
    herbs
    salt /pepper

cheese

meat, veg etc if wished.

Fry onion till soft, add garlic stir, add tomatoes, i tip water into the tins, once i've drained them to get out all the leftover tomato juice.

Bung it all in with onions (seasoning's etc) and boil down to a thickish tomato sauce.

Now separate the dough out into 8 balls. Roll each of the balls into a circle. Into each circle place a large spoonful of tomato sauce onto one half of it, now i add a bit of cheese and some ham on top of the tomato sauce because thats what my lot like.

Then fold over the non tomato side of the dough over the tomato filling and press to together till sealed.It will look like a pasty when its finished. Repeat till all of the dough is used and place in a preheated oven on gas mark 6. Normally takes about 15-20 minutes to cook.

The calzones themselves come out quite large as the dough swells. I normally eat one with a bit of salad which fills me right up. Oh and they can be frozen and taste really nice cold too.

HTH

Kerry x
  • wssla00

My laptop doesn't have MS Word on it, so I've created a simple, basic document in Notepad every month.
    Originally posted by Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq- if you fancy using word- you can download open office for free. It's pretty much the same as word and saves and opens word documents too. I really like it and it gives me apps like excel, power point etc. It's pretty good!

Also, I have a load of old root veg in the fridge so will make a bake but does anyone know of an easy sauce to make for steak? I have cream, full fat milk, butter, cheese, leeks, onions, salt pepper and spices etc.

Have a good day all
    Last edited by wssla00; 28-09-2010 at 1:59 PM.
    Feb GC: 200 Spent: 190.79
    • Lindy - Loo
    • By Lindy - Loo 28th Sep 10, 1:19 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 8,403 Thanks
    Lindy - Loo
    Hello can we be put down for 280 this month please.

20 less than last month - hopefully we stay in budget.

Good luck everyone xx
    Mum, wife and dinnerlady!
  • littlemissmoneypenny
    Hi,

Can you put me down for 350 This month please. Undeterred by last month's failure I'm going for the same target again
    • Chloris
    • By Chloris 28th Sep 10, 2:05 PM
    • 659 Posts
    • 9,479 Thanks
    Chloris
    Hi, newbie here who would like to take part! Can you put me down for 350 for October. That's for myself, OH, 3 children, all toiletries and household included starting from the 1st. Aiming to resist shopping so 15 NSDs in October.

I'm going to try to get to the back of the cupboards and be inventive with whats lurking there! Filo pastry, mincemeat and apples?
  • moonpixiewitch
    could I join please
    Guessing current spend at 400 + per month
    2 adults - to complicate it I can't eat wheat and hubby is trying to lose weight by cutting down on carbs. both have high blood pressure so need to limit salt.
    we both work 45hrs a week and I run my own cake decorating business from home , evening and weekends (which does not help with weight loss !)
    Just about to aquire a rescue cat

local supermarkets are aldi and waitrose

we don't buy ready made food , buy meat from local farms and farmers markets. Try to eat organic , free range and local as much as possible . cook most meals from scratch, don't buy jars of sauces etc

Going to aim for 350 this month and try to drop it by 30-50 each month until its at a sensible figure.

Also going to take the cash out of the bank to buy food with at the beginning of the month, so we can actually "feel" the spend instead of debit card spends which are easy to "forget"
    Started my own business and loving being my own boss
    march gc 144/230
    • Sunnyday
    • By Sunnyday 28th Sep 10, 2:50 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 34,008 Thanks
    Sunnyday
    Hi Peeps

thanks to MrsM, Rosieben & Pink for all the work that you pu into the GC each month and a big to all the newbies joining us.

I`d like my targets this month to be 160 for groceries and 60 for the pets please MrsM. My challenge will run from 1st oct to the 28th which is payday to payday. I`m off to peek into the freezer to see what i can make for my meal planner this month.

Good luck everyone.

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon
    • boultdj
    • By boultdj 28th Sep 10, 2:54 PM
    • 4,505 Posts
    • 33,130 Thanks
    boultdj
    Thank You lovely Ladie's for running the tread and Mrs.M can you put me down for $190 please. And Good Luck everyone.
    • Billie-jo
    • By Billie-jo 28th Sep 10, 3:01 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 15,892 Thanks
    Billie-jo
    Thanks to everyone for the new months thread.

Can I try for 250 FOR OCTOBER please. This is from 1st - 31st and works out at just over 8 per day for 3 adults. Used to spend 100 per week before starting the GC so am already 's better off and have reduced amount again this month plus included the WHOLE month and not just 28 days.
    This includes all food, cleaning items, toiletries and dog food.

Am still on Sept challenge until Thursday so will declare then but looks like I will come in under budget - just.

Good luck to everyone for Oct.
    [COLOR="Purple"][B] MARCH 62.38/250 [B][COLOR="Purple"]
    • jackie_w
    • By jackie_w 28th Sep 10, 3:45 PM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 5,613 Thanks
    jackie_w
    Im in again this month. Completely failed for September, but im determined to do better in October.

Mrs M can you please put me down for 250 again.

I seriously need to get a grip of this spending malarky.

Jackie
    • hex2
    • By hex2 28th Sep 10, 4:11 PM
    • 4,722 Posts
    • 80,174 Thanks
    hex2
    Thankyou everyone for the thread.

I have a few challenges in October, and I am not sure how they will impact on the budget. I already have planned a mr s delivery for essentials that is coming in at 135 which is scary. The trouble with running stocks down last month means a lot of things are needed this month.

Mrs M please put me down for 450 for October.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
    • sparkleisshopping
    • By sparkleisshopping 28th Sep 10, 4:12 PM
    • 300 Posts
    • 797 Thanks
    sparkleisshopping
    Hi, could you put me down for 230 for October please?

I came in well under my 250 September budget (only spent 155.04) so I'm going to reduce it by 20 this month. My payday isn't the 1st of the month, it's the 20th so I've already spent a bit from October's budget:

9.08 in Mozzas - 20 September
    19.99 in Boots - 20 September
    61.73 in Mozzas - 25 September
    Which totals 92.80 so I have 137.20 left from my 230 which I think is achievable.
    • mooomin
    • By mooomin 28th Sep 10, 4:16 PM
    • 13,655 Posts
    • 134,514 Thanks
    mooomin
    My spend this month so far has been 17.29.

This was for:

Biscuits and cheese
    Margarine
    Pizza for dinner
    Cat treats
    Cat food

Nothing bought since then although I know I will need milk/bread soon enough. Bah!
    Comping again

Wins this year: - two night trip to Belgium, 100 Gett taxi credit, tickets to Newcastle game, FIFA 2016 for PS4, stitch markers, Cumberstitching book
  • Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq- if you fancy using word- you can download open office for free. It's pretty much the same as word and saves and opens word documents too. I really like it and it gives me apps like excel, power point etc. It's pretty good!
    Originally posted by wssla00
    Thank you so much for that wssla00 Have pm'd you
    Aug11 193.29/240

Oct10 266.72 /275 Nov10 276.71/275 Dec10 311.33 / 275 Jan11 242.25/ 250 Feb11 243.14/ 250 Mar11 221.99/ 230
    Apr11 237.39 /240 May11 237.71/240 Jun11 244.03/ 240 July11 244.89/ 240
    Xmas 2011 Fund 220
    • Craftyscholar
    • By Craftyscholar 28th Sep 10, 5:01 PM
    • 3,389 Posts
    • 62,310 Thanks
    Craftyscholar
    Another newbie
    I had been trying to keep a note of monthly spends but hadn't looked at the results.
    I was surprised how much the months varied, but last year I averaged 90 a month and this year so far have averaged 100. I'm fairly sure I am eating the same things so the prices must be creeping up.

I need to spend less - and find a way of being positive about it

Anyway please put me down for 90 for October

(I can do this)

• Lindy - Loo
    • By Lindy - Loo 28th Sep 10, 6:42 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 8,403 Thanks
    Lindy - Loo
    Did a monthly online shop at sainsburys as they sent spend and save vouchers so with Sainsburys, Netto, butchers and farmfoods for milk and bread today have spent 161.67 so far. Hopefully just top ups of fresh stuff and a chicken at some point as no room in the freezer!!
    Mum, wife and dinnerlady!
  • bramble1
    I would like to join, please put me down for 50 thanks!
    Annual Grocery Budget 364.00/1500
    Debt payments 2012 433.27
    • chrisfreelander54
    • By chrisfreelander54 28th Sep 10, 7:02 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 936 Thanks
    chrisfreelander54
    Hello Everyone, Total first timer at Grocery Challenges, been buying more shopping and cooking our own food from scratch lately, instead ov takeaways.
    So gonna start with a budet of 300 pounds for the month of October, starting on the 1st, please.

Regards
    CF54.
    YNAB is my new best friend.
    • freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 28th Sep 10, 7:23 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre
    Please can you put me down for 50.00 for October?

Reducing it slightly this month as I really must make an effort with my freezer/cupboard contents. I will need some frozen veg and the usual milk, fruit etc. but apart from that, I have a lot of stuff already.

I start my new job on Monday (unless the administrators where I currently work mess us around) so will need to see what facilities are there for lunch as may have to resort to sandwiches. I will miss the kitchen where I am as we have everything (including a proper fitted cooker!) so we can take in pretty much anything we want for lunch.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: 52/100
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,453Posts Today

7,790Users online

Martin's Twitter