Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Caz2
    cheating when cooking lets share ideas
    • 15th Mar 05, 6:23 PM
    cheating when cooking lets share ideas 15th Mar 05 at 6:23 PM
    Hi all
    My cheats are
    1) packet of golden veg soup mix, made up with water (I think it says 1 and half pints but just put in a pint) and cooked for 5 mins then sieve it add fresh veg and ham if available and add dumplings put in oven with cheese on top. I tell them its my special receipe.
    2) when making gravy i add 2-3 spoonfuls of either minestrone or french onion dried soup mix and then sieve, it gives extra flavour.
    3) when cooking sunday dinner i make the gravy in the swede pan and l mix some swede with it then add sprout water and a stock cube for a sprog that reckons he is allergic to veg, sometimes i puree veg and add to gravy no one ever knows
    4) I bought 5 Robinsons blackcurrent and apple juice 49p a bottle but no-one likes it, so i put it in a ribena bottle and its going down lovely.
    Am going to try and put morrisons frosted flakes in a kelloges carboard packet and see how that works for a new person in our home.
    5) going to try this with ice-cream as well because if they think it dosent taste right they won't want the branded stuff again.
    6) This week have made buns for packups and put out of date celebrations on top then covered with chocolate. I am a wonderful mum and wife this week!
    I need some more ideas everyone
Page 1
  • mink35
    • 15th Mar 05, 8:07 PM
    • 15th Mar 05, 8:07 PM
    LMAO Caz!

I put a bit of stuffing mix in gravy when doing chicken or pork.

I often puree veg so my lot don't know they are eating it - I think they are just too plain lazy sometimes! I usually do this with things like chilli, stew, bolognaise etc.

Can't think of much else at the moment! I'll have to put my thinking cap on!
    Mink
    • sce37
    • By sce37 15th Mar 05, 8:37 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    sce37
    • 15th Mar 05, 8:37 PM
    • 15th Mar 05, 8:37 PM
    My friend once cooked chicken and bacon bake with campbells condensed and diluted mushroom sauce poured over it. Delicious.
    I say what I like, I like what I say!
    • moggins
    • By moggins 15th Mar 05, 10:16 PM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 10,159 Thanks
    moggins
    • 15th Mar 05, 10:16 PM
    • 15th Mar 05, 10:16 PM
    Home made chicken and mushroom family sized pie

remains of a boiled chicken, one can of Campbells mushroom soup, half a block of Puff pastry = equals one fantastic pie which still works out cheaper than one of the shop bought ones but takes about 15 minutes to make
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at 250
  • chardonnay
    • 15th Mar 05, 11:40 PM
    • 15th Mar 05, 11:40 PM
    campbells have a whole site of recipes that you can make from their soups and if you sign up they will send you a new recipe weekly
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 16th Mar 05, 8:48 AM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 16th Mar 05, 8:48 AM
    • 16th Mar 05, 8:48 AM
    4) I bought 5 Robinsons blackcurrent and apple juice 49p a bottle but no-one likes it, so i put it in a ribena bottle and its going down lovely.
    Am going to try and put morrisons frosted flakes in a kelloges carboard packet and see how that works for a new person in our home.
    5) going to try this with ice-cream as well because if they think it dosent taste right they won't want the branded stuff again.
    by Caz2
    Caz,

I love these ideas........going to try the juice and frosted flakes ones on my fussy lot!

Pink
  • Lillibet
    • 16th Mar 05, 8:55 AM
    • 16th Mar 05, 8:55 AM
    My hubby won't eat anything tomato based so we used to end up having a lot of things with cheese/white sauce which is very fattening. After trying out a recipe a couple of weeks ago which used creamed sweetcorn (basically a can/fresh/defrosted whipped up in a blender with about 5 tabelspoons of water until thick sauce consistancy) I have been substituting this & just topping with cheese, he hasn't noticed so far!
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • tillytot
    • 16th Mar 05, 9:21 AM
    • 16th Mar 05, 9:21 AM
    don't peel carrots, just rinse, top and tail them, chop, boil, then mash when cooked. you'll never know the difference, and theres lots of goodness just under the skin.

i have plastic boxes for cereals to go in, so empty shops own brand in, no one noticed the difference yet. lol. same for biscuits, only buy 1-2 packets a week and they go straight in a biscuit tin, and empty packets to bottom of bin.
    Waddle you do eh?
  • Caz2
    • 16th Mar 05, 11:18 AM
    • 16th Mar 05, 11:18 AM
    Hi all thanks for replying, I think its great fun conning them all. Anyway my latest is the cats. I am mixing branded with very cheap and they know something isn't right but are eating it. Mink35 stuffing in the gravy is a good one and I use campbells soups regularly, to really con them i add a stock cube and mustard. I thought of loads more last night but can't remember them now. I make washing gloop (powder)as well and tell them all it makes stuff really soft and won't take the colour out of clothes which is probably true.
    Off to have another think
    • jaybee
    • By jaybee 16th Mar 05, 6:27 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 2,676 Thanks
    jaybee
    Thank goodness it's not only me then
    I cheat all the time with condensed soup used as sauce etc. Saint Delia did a book about How to Cheat at Cooking - I think most of the recipes are available (free, of course) on her web site.
    I'm not afraid to lie either - I tell them that things are what they expect them to be and not what they are. How naughty is that?
  • Caz2
    Hi some more here
    I make my own "white bread" but in a little jar i have grounded up pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds. seseme seeds and linseeds I substitute 3 tablespoons of flour for this and also 2 of wholewheat flour.
    I make vegetarian lasange and although they know there is no meat in it they love it and cant understand why it tastes so good. I use lentils and cut veg up really small, I reckon it confuses their brains.
    Green peppers who on earth likes them but when the mixed bag is cheaper and you are a money saver how can you resist, I cut them small and diagnially and tell them they are green beans and not to moan as they cost a bomb and its a treat. Ha Ha
  • Caz2
    Hi me again, do you think we could put cat food in a pie, only kidding.
  • mink35
    by Caz2
    I bet it's been done as a joke!
    Mink
  • Lillibet
    Blue Peter used to make a cat or dog food cake to celebrate the studio pets birthdays! It always looked yummy too!

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 17th Mar 05, 8:02 AM
    • 3,972 Posts
    • 7,505 Thanks
    culpepper
    by Caz2
    OH had a dotty aunty who gave him cat food for tea,she couldnt see the label!
    He was about 6 and too shy to tell her

I used to buy asda hot chocolate and put it in the cadburys jar.I dont need to swap jars anymore though as they think Asdas taste just as good!!

Used to bulk out mince with soya mince when we were really skint and still sometimes do with bread crumbs.

Sometimes add a slice of bread (crumbed in processor) to scrambled egg when I dont have enough eggs.Nobody has ever noticed.
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 17th Mar 05, 8:48 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    by Caz2

When I had a dog several years ago, I remember opening a tin of meat ... Spiller's Prime, I think ... and remarking to my ex-hubby how tasty it looked and smelled, just like those tins of stewed steak you can buy, and I was almost tempted to make a pie with it and see if anyone noticed LOL!!
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• jaybee
    • By jaybee 17th Mar 05, 1:35 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 2,676 Thanks
    jaybee
    Years ago I read of a woman whose husband always moaned about her cooking so she gave him Dog Food Curry one night and he said it was the best meal she'd ever done!
  • seese
    Try making a jelly and then instead of adding the cold water top up, use a small tin of carnation milk.Instant mousse.
  • Lillibet
    Try making a jelly and then instead of adding the cold water top up, use a small tin of carnation milk.Instant mousse.
    by seese
    Also works with low fat yoghurt for a healthy version, just use the minimum amount of hot water you can get away with to melt the jelly first then make up the difference with yoghurt.

• Caz2
    Originally Posted by seese

Hi I have tried this but it curdles and looks disgusting must be doing something wrong
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,151Posts Today

6,718Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin